• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
The premise requires some suspension of disbelief.

The main issues:

Let's assume the brain does not deteriorate at the rate a regular human brain does. I.E. neurons remaining just as healthy 980 years later.
Let's also assume the person does not die from being killed (shirou.jpg) and does not commit suicide.
Let's also assume, on top of that, that the person is not 'immortal,' just in stasis of sorts. Basically, set all aging to 'pause' for this period of time after, say, 28 years old.

What would you suppose is the 'biggest' danger to warping someone's personality, morality or mentality? Do you suppose, like many fantasy novels posit, that they are extremely afraid of death after living so long? Would you say they are at risk of believing themselves to be something 'more than human,' a different species? Or would you say they are most at risk, sometimes in connection with #2, of committing atrocities because they are simply bored with life?

I'll just bring up again that they are essentially stuck at 28, biologically, for the rest of that timespan. I picked a random 'prime of your life' age but 30s works too. Whatever you want to use for a thought experiment.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The biggest thing would be seeing all their friends and loved ones die, which would cause them to become more and more depressed and reserved.

Having and burying a single family would drive a person to suicide, multiple would drive them insane. I doubt they would go beyond the first since it would end the same every time.

hordak

Oct 31, 2017
Anaheim, CA
does this person knows they will live for a 1000+ years? cause if that was me i would be more hesitant to make friends and girlfriend cause i know I have to watch them grow old and die. And if i had a shitty job, like a 9-to-5 or working for peanuts at walmart then i will definitely kill myself. But that's just me.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
Your memory would be in absolute shambles. You probably wouldn't even remember your parents by year 300

OP
OP
Sun's Resting Place
Oct 25, 2017
The biggest thing would be seeing all their friends and loved ones die, which would cause them to become more and more depressed and reserved.

Having and burying a single family would drive a person to suicide, multiple would drive them insane. I doubt they would go beyond the first since it would end the same every time.
So, in that vein, only a few kinds of personality would actually make it to 1,000 years even if given the opportunity.

People with an extremely powerful calling, sociopaths, and the like.

Your memory would be in absolute shambles. You probably wouldn't even remember your parents by year 300

This is why I added a neuron clause, but I didn't think about capacity. Even if your neurons were perfectly healthy, you make a really good point - the human mind can only hold so many memories. I guess to get a person who at least had passable memories of their entire lifespan by year 1000, you would need to add yet ANOTHER clause to it, which would be 'is capable of retaining 1,000 years of memories.'

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So, in that vein, only a few kinds of personality would actually make it to 1,000 years even if given the opportunity.

People with an extremely powerful calling, sociopaths, and the like.
Probably, it's a slim chance they'd go through it and end up 'normal' and a large chance they become a sociopath/megalomaniac.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
psychological adjustment over time leading to outright attenuation or deformation.

loosing social conventions and killing at a moment's notice, or maybe going the other way and becoming extremely manipulative for indirect control towards their own ends.

OP
OP
Sun's Resting Place
Oct 25, 2017
I might as well add that I was also thinking about 'isolation' too. This thread was partially inspired by Dr. Stone and Cars from Jojo, but also various Chinese stories and fiction where there are humans who live for thousands of years.

The thing that makes me the most unable to suspend disbelief in Dr. Stone is that one of the main characters spent 3700 years trapped in a shell of rock and did not go completely freaking insane by literally counting how long he spent trapped there.

I softened the 'premise' of that by removing the 'isolation' part from this thread.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
Pretty awesome.

timeline.jpg

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
Y'all underestimate how short 1,000 years is. You know how time seems to move faster for you the older you get? Think about how slow it passed as a kid versus how much faster it feels 10-20 years later. Now drag that out 500 years.

1,000 years isn't some unimaginable degree of time. Extreme psychological breakdown isn't a guarantee by any means.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Doctor Who kind of did this with a character called Ashildr/Me in Season 9 and it showed how her memory of a thousand years ago wasn't great and that it was remembered only through diaries, she became distant of sorts and so forth

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
You'd either become depressed and lonely from outliving generation after generation and never being able to make friends or family without having to watch them die without you, or you'll adapt and become an observer who lives in isolation in peace, keeping notes and records of everything that goes on in the world so that future generations won't forget the past.

OP
OP
Sun's Resting Place
Oct 25, 2017
You'd either become depressed and lonely from outliving generation after generation and never being able to make friends or family without having to watch them die without you, or you'll adapt and become an observer who lives in isolation in peace, keeping notes and records of everything that goes on in the world so that future generations won't forget the past.
I feel like you would have to stay an observer in that sense - I get the feeling that people would try to 'use you' as an arbiter of the truth when going back through their own history. History is often written by the victors - if anyone knew you were actually alive when X happened, and there were two conflicting viewpoints to the point of starting a war over it, they might go to you to ask 'what really happened.' You would have to have a hell of a lot of influence and power to not get killed over something like that.

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
If someone genuinely exhibited immortality they'd get carved up by scientists pretty quick.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Probably bitter and lacking full human connection. Imagine losing 10+ generations of friends and family.

If you work the whole time there's no excuse not to be a billionaire either. Imagine 800 years of being a CEO?

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This. How could you keep you empathy for humanity when you lnow those around you will die anyway.
Extreme Buddhism. There's plenty of ideologies that teach you how to accept the inevitability of death and this person would be inclined to seek those ideologies out/create them for their own use. We would likely have a secret immortal wandering around spreading their own religion informed by their immortality, assuming we don't get a Vandal Savage scenario.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i'd assume it would be like being a PTSD stricken war vet times ten. after the 500th year you just stare off to space the whole time

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
I guess your example also needs a brain with a memory that doesn't forget anything, I could imagine that you otherwise simply forget most of what was 50 years ago so it really doesn't bother you that much.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The case of memory is interesting. Hypothetically, this immortal could "reset" every so often by spending a few decades in the woods away from people, and then come back out without the bulk of their trauma. With a 1000 year old memory though, they're going to carry that weight.

Every 100 years they can raise a family, then disappear into the wilderness in order to forget, then come back out to find a new family. This would work up until around 1980 when digital identity-keeping makes disappearing effectively impossible.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
I'll let you know in a little over 900 years...

I plan to learn a new career every 30 years or so to keep things interesting, move to new countries once in a while, change my vr persona, check out the colonies of Mars, etc. People die, sucks but it's part of life already, my parents have lost plenty of friends, family, loved ones in their 70 years, I don't think living longer would make that affect someone any more. I guess depends on how hard that hits them, my parents just accept it, I do too.

Last edited:

RedBaron17

Oct 27, 2017
One of them will eventually become God-emperor of humanity. Ushering in a new golden age for mankind.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
They would look at the camera like in The Office and make an "are you serious?" face every time they decided to watch their favorite film Lethal Weapon and Murtaugh says the line.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Even if your neurons are intact, there is only so much memory a human brain can hold so you'd end up forgetting a lot of non essential things. I'd imagine a person that lived that long would probably have very few ties to other people and see themselves as an outsider, possibly not having empathy for others anymore. It honestly sounds awful unless you can find a way to keep yourself entertained. Maybe by being the opposite of what I think and gaining an interest in other people's lives and helping others, who knows?

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Their level of detachment to anything related to humanity would be so severe that I don't think you'd be able to discuss most things with them.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017

Given that people can only hold so many memories, you'd probably forget a shit ton of people you actually lost, and your memories of them would be replaced by those of much newer people. This whole "everyone around you dying" might be a lot less impactful.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe by being the opposite of what I think and gaining an interest in other people's lives and helping others, who knows?
Spend so much time trying to help mankind, trying to save and teach man. And then you see them unleashing the Atomic bomb, or you see them polluting the seas with trash, etc. It's hard to stay positive and feel like you've had an impact without wanting to push event harder against a civilization that seems to lean so often towards doom.

Just sit back and watch all your work be destroyed, or take a more active role in the directing of things?

Deffers

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
The case of memory is interesting. Hypothetically, this immortal could "reset" every so often by spending a few decades in the woods away from people, and then come back out without the bulk of their trauma. With a 1000 year old memory though, they're going to carry that weight.

Every 100 years they can raise a family, then disappear into the wilderness in order to forget, then come back out to find a new family. This would work up until around 1980 when digital identity-keeping makes disappearing effectively impossible.

That's not how memories work, however! Basically, you ever notice how when you've had very similar days all in a row, your brain kinda blends them together? That's actually not a malfunction of your memory, that's it working as intended. The heuristic nature of your brain stores similar things in memory when they're repeated. There also wouldn't be much TO remember in the woods.

Your hypothetical immortal would instead likely spend years learning very complex subjects consecutively. Become a master at mathematics or something like that. Or just dose on a lot of LSD CONTINUOUSLY for a few years on end.

If they're not truly immortal, though, it's very likely they'll just die as a matter of statistics pretty early on. Get hit by a hurricane, flooded, decapitated on highway, etc...

Honestly, I feel like it'd be bearable if they had just one person they really cared about to see it through with.