• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Often, there are marketing terms used to try to sell a console over another. In the past consoles infamously used the argument of bits. Nowadays I'd say the resolution and framerate are the big comparisons of consoles, even if that doesn't exactly compare to bits since it's more performance than actual specs. I think the future we could have arguments of how fast a drive is, as it's already happening, or maybe just the good ol' GHz arguments.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
It's been teraflops since 2013 at least, but I have no idea what's next. Hopefully nothing lol.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i don't think there's ever been a relatively more BS metric than "bits" since it ceased being a thing

even the dumbest consumer is more 'woke' now but to answer your question 4K60 is the current dragon to chase, along with RTX

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
We will start making lists of exclusives to demonstrate that our console of choice is the right one.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We need a word for the number of rays you can cast for ray tracing.

EG The RTX 3080ti can ______ 5 million rays per frame.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
GigaWatts. And when the PS20 and the Xbox Series X 3029 Edition by Microsoft from the company that makes Xbox launch with 1.21 GigaWatts we will finally have complete backwards compatibility through time travel.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
I think it should be measured by how many realistic Tom Hanks it can render on the screen at one time.

"The PS6 has the capability to render over 50,000 Tom Hanks'." I'd buy that, whew.

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
gigarays are a straight up practical, useful measurement, like resolution or framerate. They always cost (about) the same for X task, and they're needed relative to screen size.

it's teraflops, still. next it will be some other silly single hardware spec.

OP
OP

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hmm, this also makes me wonder what will be the next selling point for monitors/TVs. We have resolution, refresh rate, VRR, type of panel (LCD/OLED/etc.), HDR, Colour depth (4:4:4), etc.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
How many Splorgenbørgs does your new favorite piece of plastic have? FIVE!

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
Often, there are marketing terms used to try to sell a console over another. In the past consoles infamously used the argument of bits. Nowadays I'd say the resolution and framerate are the big comparisons of consoles, even if that doesn't exactly compare to bits since it's more performance than actual specs. I think the future we could have arguments of how fast a drive is, as it's already happening, or maybe just the good ol' GHz arguments.
Microsoft was very smart in choosing Teraflops as their selling point. Because the audience doesn't have a clue what they are or what they mean, but sounds like a serious word so they take it, and also, bigger numbers.

OP
OP

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Microsoft was very smart in choosing Teraflops as their selling point. Because the audience doesn't have a clue what they are or what they mean, but sounds like a serious word so they take it, and also, bigger numbers.
They can also use the SSD size as a comparison, "we have 150GB more than the PS5!" Overall though I do think the Xbox Series X is more powerful if what others say is true, however unless I get a ton of money out of nowhere I won't be able to get either console so I'll just take a wait-and-see approach.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
They can also use the SSD size as a comparison, "we have 150GB more than the PS5!" Overall though I do think the Xbox Series X is more powerful if what others say is true, however unless I get a ton of money out of nowhere I won't be able to get either console so I'll just take a wait-and-see approach.
Yes it is an overall stronger machine, but for different reasons than the Teraflops make it seem

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
SSD speed.

And like bits and RAM and everything, it's not the end of the story.

Already in use.

lUvApqN.gif