• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Currently in sort of a bored state where I've finished the games in my backlog and the next new game I'm purchasing will be in March, so I'm looking for something new to play. These are some of the few games that I forgot released and an interested in picking them up.

Would love to hear what the folks on Era thought of this game before doing so.

Annabel

Mar 22, 2019
Only got the first game but like most Musou spinoffs, it's pretty brainless fun with lots of fanservice for long time fans of the series.

The second game seemed to have way bigger maps, maybe influenced by DW9 being open world. Idk as I never played it beyond the (terrible) Switch demo.

Roubjon

Oct 25, 2017
The second one is really fun and charming and I highly recommend it. Fighting is fun and tons of fan service from the series.

carl_sandland

May 31, 2019
In some ways, I like them better than DQX11s: you get the same DQ style and stories, but with realtime combat. I thought they looked great too for the time they came out. Yes, it's Musuo BUT think more zelda than fire emblem in terms of quality (they both had musuo spinoffs). There are enough party members and RPG style skills to keep it interesting and some of the set piece "battles" are really tremendous and require that "strategic" thinking that the largest and best Musuo maps can have, without getting too complex. I thought they were great and finished both!

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Only played the first one. It was fun for a bit, but very forgettable. Story is insultingly brain-dead but hopefully that's not a dealbreaker in a musou/RPG hybrid.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
I'm waiting for the western release of both for Switch. Till then, I'll just have to rely on youtube vids.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
My first-ever DQ game was DQVII a couple of months after it debuted in the US for the PlayStation. I liked it but didn't love it, but I did like it enough to try out both DQVIII and IX when they debuted in the US.

Coming across DQ Heroes kind of elevated the series for me, I don't know why but I found its tone and its kinda fanservicey trip through its ever-expanding cast super charming and interesting, and it really pumped me up for DQXI's impending release, made me go back and buy all of the classic pre-VII DQ games on my iPad (which I then enjoyed) and primed me to immediately try out and consequently love Dragon Quest Builders. I grabbed 3DS versions of DQVII and DQVIII as well.

I kind of attribute DQ Heroes to being my ascension from very casually aware of the series to just committing to being a full-on fan of it.

DQ Heroes II is mechanically a better game and is more fun to play, but I know it's not anywhere near as important to me as the first game just based on my personal experience. It's still absolutely worthwhile and I think if you just want to play the more fun game, DQ Heroes II is the way to go.

EDIT: worth noting, I kinda hate musou games — it's just not my thing generally. Legend of Zelda is one of my favorite game series and I thought Hyrule Warriors was kinda lame. There was something about DQ Heroes that I found incredibly charming, and I can't quite articulate what it was, but it was so impactful on me that it literally made me finally fall in love with the DQ vibe and aesthetic.

Deleted member 34873

User-requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
EDIT: worth noting, I kinda hate musou games — it's just not my thing generally. Legend of Zelda is one of my favorite game series and I thought Hyrule Warriors was kinda lame. There was something about DQ Heroes that I found incredibly charming, and I can't quite articulate what it was, but it was so impactful on me that it literally made me finally fall in love with the DQ vibe and aesthetic.

Was it the unrelenting slime puns?

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
DQH2 has a frustrating post-game that increases grinding to an insane degree (maxing out your characters skill trees requires you to NG++ the game), but the main story was interesting and the exploration was fun.

There are also some dead-on-arrival multiplayer stages that you'll likely never get to do.

DQH1 is more linear, but is better balanced and respects your time a little more.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
They're well above your average Musou in the sense that they truly feel like Dragon Quest RPGs. You still need high levels of tolerance to repetitiveness to fully enjoy them, though, as they're still Musou in essence.

I'd recommend jumping straight to II since they're pretty long games.

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
First off, they're ARPG's, not Musou games. Some characters play like Musou characters, and you still end up killing a lot of enemies in these games, but aside from those similarities, there's way more RPG DNA here (there's skilltrees, equipment, an emphasis on sidequests, classes in the sequel etc.)

As for the specific games, Dragon Quest Heroes 1 is okay. It weirdly emphasizes this style of tower defense gameplay where you kill enemies, pick up their "Monster Medals", and then summon those defeated enemies to help you protect the specific MacGuffin in each level. Except for a few rare missions and the occasional bossfight, the entire game is just these skirmishes (and you just fly to each of these directly in your ship).

The game is all combat, and the actual combat can be very frustrating. Enemies are intentionally very annoying and time-wastey, harder missions often just require trial and error also, your party member's AI is really stupid and to top it off, you don't get a healer for most of the game (gotta pay out that Nun for health potions). Most sidequests aren't much better, with there being a lot of 'kill 100 of this specific recolour of this specific enemy". For me, all of the charm was from the story, the characters and the general presentation of the game. It's not my favourite tbh, but some people prefer it over the sequel.

Dragon Quest Heroes 2 vastly improves the gameplay. You can now change the MC's weapons and classes, you get a main hub that connects to a semi-open world that's all inter-connected (but not fully unlocked off the bat), there's less annoying tower defense / protect MacGuffin missions. And you get *healers* in this game (healers, as in plural). It doesn't sound like much, but DQH1 is so worse off for having only 1 healer (unlocked late into the game). In DQH2, as long as you have at least 2 healers, even the braindead AI will know to heal you.

The game's not perfect. The semi-open world isn't greatest (the open world lazily populates enemy encounters in the open world and the world isn't really used in missions). There's a lot of esoteric mechanics like magic damage, tag tricks, parries, reflects and proficiency (which is like a second skill tree that requires you to manually use characters and constantly talk to the Martial Artist in Town). There's also one lategame section that is the most painfully *obvious* padding ever (you'll know it when you see it). Additionally, while the game has a solidly paced campaign, the postgame / platinum is one large, awful, RNG-filled grind.

Despite some problems, I honestly feel Dragon Quest Heroes 2 is a really underrated ARPG. The campaign is a fun 20-30 hour romp (length is depending on whether you pick up any sidequests, do any grinding or have to retry missions). I believe there is a Switch version of the game that actually added an extra playable character, but I'm unsure if it left Japan. (Also make sure to tweak your options for the camera and Coup de Grace cutscenes)

Last edited:

Laser Ramon

Oct 28, 2017
For some reason I love getting into every Musou game under the sun EXCEPT the Dynasty/Samurai Warriors games

KCsoLucky

Oct 29, 2017
I played the first one, and loved it for the first 10 hours.......then hated it. I kept hearing how it's a Musou but it ends up leaning way too much into the Tower Defense side and got really boring. The gameplay never opened up.

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
DQH2 has a frustrating post-game that increases grinding to an insane degree (maxing out your characters skill trees requires you to NG++ the game), but the main story was interesting and the exploration was fun.

There are also some dead-on-arrival multiplayer stages that you'll likely never get to do.

DQH1 is more linear, but is better balanced and respects your time a little more.

I agree that the postgame in DQH2 is not worth it. I attempted the platinum and so much of it is killing the same enemies over and over, trying to get their drops. I went 30 hours trying to do one trophy... and 30 hours is like the length of the main campaign. It's super not worth it

I played the first one, and loved it for the first 10 hours.......then hated it. I kept hearing how it's a Musou but it ends up leaning way too much into the Tower Defense side and got really boring. The gameplay never opened up.

Dragon Quest Heroes 2 is so much better in the gameplay department tbh

You can change weapons and classes for the MC's, you get characters at a pretty good pace (and most characters are viable, even if they require a bit of grinding), you can transform into Monsters now and also the Tower Defense segments appear way less frequently

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
Wow, surprised by the almost unanimous positivity.

Definitely feels like both have minor issues of their own, but they seem pretty fun.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
DQH 1 is a 6/10, don´t bother. DHQ 2 is a 7/10, includes all sorts of stuff from the first and I even finished it. Not much more else to it.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
I highly enjoyed both. Really hope a DQH3 gets made but it sold half of the first game's sales despite being better so I'm not counting on it.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Like almost all Musou spinoffs I found them dull and mediocre. If you asked me why, I'd have to say they feel repetitive as hell but then again you could also say that about mainline Dynasty Warriors and my personal favorite, Samurai Warriors. I don't know why it doesn't bother me as much in the mainline series.

tenderbrew

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Only played 1 but I loved it. Pure musou with some tower defense DNA. The Dragon Quest stuff is really cool and relentless.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you like that type of game (really shallow combat against endless hordes of enemies that stand there doing nothing) or if you really love dragon quest, you'll like them. If you like both, I suppose you'll love them

I don't like the gameplay style that much but I'm a lifelong Dragon Quest fan, and all the sights and sounds of Dragon Quest are intact, so I enjoyed it on that level

KCsoLucky

Oct 29, 2017
I agree that the postgame in DQH2 is not worth it. I attempted the platinum and so much of it is killing the same enemies over and over, trying to get their drops. I went 30 hours trying to do one trophy... and 30 hours is like the length of the main campaign. It's super not worth it

Dragon Quest Heroes 2 is so much better in the gameplay department tbh

You can change weapons and classes for the MC's, you get characters at a pretty good pace (and most characters are viable, even if they require a bit of grinding), you can transform into Monsters now and also the Tower Defense segments appear way less frequently

I have definitely heard that DQH2 is much better but the first one still soured me to the point where I'll likely not end up playing the 2nd unless I don't have anything else. I heard almost unanimous praise for the first one too, and I'm kinda assuming that most of the fans of the games just don't mind a lot of the stuff that bothered me.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
If you like DQ and you don't hate Musou games then get them, they are pretty fun. The first one is pretty vanilla however, still fun, the 2nd expands on a lot of things.

Line

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The first one is mediocre, it's way more of a tower defense than a Musou game, despite you fighting monsters along the way; placing your units in the right places is the most important part. Very, very grindy, even for a Musou.

The second one is a pretty good game, definitely one of the strongest Musou spinnoffs.
It's mission based but with a very decent mission variety for the franchise (the bosses in particular are very fun if you like DQ in a more action setting), along a little world to explore, mainly hub based; but you access new zones and little secrets when you get new characters so it's kinda cool.
Deeper game too, since your main character can change weapons and classes and even unlock new ones, all with their own combos and spells. If you kinda stick with one team of characters (which you probably shouldn't, considering the elemental weaknesses of some ennemies), it's way less repetitive than the first.
The story and characters are just okay, ti's Dragon Quest, but eh. It works I guess.

>DQH1 no.
>DQH2 yes, even if you don't love DQ it's a good action game.

Be careful about the Switch version, it's pretty damn bad. The framerate can get quite low. Not that the other versions are great, but, yeah. Not at all a good port.

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't played either but if a third entry happens hope it keep Kyril Twacks jokes.

AD301C171A497362FDB9175BE5B88E70911B9357

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
They're good but not as good and not the same thing as the mainline games. It feels like there could be a middle ground between the Heroes games and the mainline games that could hit a sweet spot of delivering that action RPG gameplay but also with that Dragon Quest vibe which is only kind of superficial in the Heroes games.