• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cal Kestis - what did you think?

• I liked him.

Votes: 87 64.4%
  • Not a fan.

Votes: 48 35.6%

• Total voters

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
With Star Wars hype in full swing, I thought it might be a good time to revisit public reception of Fallen Order's former-padawan-on-the-run, Cal Kestis.

latest

I really liked him and his journey. The flashbacks to him training with his master were neat callbacks to the prequel era of films and shows, and the way he dealt with his survival and growing sense of responsibility was fulfilling to watch.

star-wars-jedi-fallen-order-image.png

What I liked most about him, though, is that he didn't feel like a galaxy-saving hero. He was a normal ass Jedi like most Jedi before him. That's still pretty impressive considering he never truly completed his training, but it was nice to have a more grounded lead after getting power fantasy characters like Starkiller in the last generation. The ending to the story only drove this home - he realizes that he is not a powerful enough person to do something as grandiose as restore the Jedi Order. Him finding his place in the world, dropping his idealism but still growing as a person, was very appealing to me.

What were your feelings on Cal?

Nov 3, 2017
Bland but logically so, warmed up to him by the end, would be sad to see him go especially when we haven't really explored his story with other characters yet

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah he was fine. I wasnt enthused with ANOTHER WHITE BOY SAVES THE GALAXY but his journey is one of the things I appreciated about Fallen Order Poncho Collector 2k19

I liked that he basically figures out his place in the world, by the end of the game you actually see the differences between a young Jedi and a Jedi Master, thats something other SW media has struggled with (such as Jedi Masters being garbage tier against Sidious)

Still not a fan of the very end of the game though

Deleted member 54073

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 22, 2019
Not a fan at all.. thought the acting was bad and sometimes cringy. Didn't like the way he ran either but that might just be me.

ClayModel

Oct 29, 2017
He was decent since he bounces off the characters, especially with BD1 but on his own, he's ok but not all that memorable.

TheDarkKnight

Oct 25, 2017
when first revealed not interested, but throughout the game I really warmed up to him and overall liked him.

He doesn't have a big personality and is kind of subdued which is kind of rare for most game protagonists these days.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
He wasn't great, but he got better later on.
Still better than the other main characters outside of Greez mind you.

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
The game was one of my favorites from this year, but I hated everything about Cal

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I liked Cal. He kinda just survived and was totally out of the loop. He didn't even seem aware the Jedi Council was gone. I liked the idea that his connection to the Force was broken somehow and that's why we were reacquiring Force powers.

I have to give Respawn points for not making him another Starkiller, too. His powers weren't too crazy - he held his own and was eventually strong enough to beat an Inquisitor but he's still clearly weaker than even Kanan was let alone folks like Ahsoka.

Plus it was a neat touch that Cal destroying the holocron is probably what kept Luke off the radar for the next thirteen years. It would've led Vader straight to him when he was only a few years old.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
hes boring like basically everyone in that game apart from maybe Merrin and Taron Malicos.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
What I liked most about him, though, is that he didn't feel like a galaxy-saving hero. He was a normal ass Jedi like most Jedi before him. That's still pretty impressive considering he never truly completed his training, but it was nice to have a more grounded lead after getting power fantasy characters like Starkiller in the last generation.

Agreed. I also liked his dialogue with the droid, they were cute together and their relationship made him more likeable. I like this humble type of character.

Chivalry

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Nov 22, 2018
A mouth-breething charisma vacuum. His interactions with the droid were cute, though.

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
He is an incredibly boring and milquetoast self insert for the player.

A game based on the nightsisters would be way more interesting.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gonna echo that it's interesting that despite being a badass Jedi he's not gonna go toe to toe with Vader any time soon. I love my OP heroes but sometimes a guy just getting by is fun.

I like him and his relationship with BD-1 is adorable.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Probably the blandest protagonist of 2019 with the worst design to boot.

Like... A poncho? Really?

Yeah I didn't like a single thing about him. Also the performance capture made him look very awkward at all times. Bland, flat, boring, unrelatable and was an actively negative impact on my experience throughout the game.

Jack Scofield

Oct 27, 2017
His design is really boring. I really wish the game would have let you customize your character at the beginning, or at least let you choose from a few presets.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
He's okay, but completely overshadowed by Cere, one of the best characters not just in a Star Wars game but in any recent story based game.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
He was fine. Cameron is a good actor, but the pacing and story in FO was a bit undercooked and rushed which didn't leave a lot of room for Cal to really do/say much. I'd like him and the rest of the cast to return and get some better development and chance to interact more.