• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hoodie Season

Jun 17, 2020
I watched Mare of Easttown, Dexter New Blood, Yellowstone, and Midnight Mass. I'm not much of a TV show or movie watcher, but my wife and I watched the latest (or only) seasons of those shows and enjoyed them all. We've long been fans of Yellowstone and have enjoyed this season so far with only 1 more episode to go. Though we never watched an episode of Dexter, we decided to give New Blood a shot and have enjoyed it thus far. Midnight Mass was awesome. I did like Mare, but not as much as everyone else seems to.

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
Midnight Mass
Only Murders in the Building
Wheel of Time
Wandavision
White Lotus

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017
In no particular order:

Squid Game
Arcane
Hawkeye
WandaVision
Sweet Tooth
Invincible
I Think You Should Leave s2
Loki

Arcane was my biggest surprise by far. I've never played a second of LoL and had zero expectations going in.

Jonatron

Apr 22, 2020
Adding Mare of Easttown, Only Murders in the Building and Yellowjackets to the binge list.

SanderGT

Banned
Apr 24, 2021
No specific order

Amend [Netflix documentary series on the 14th Amendment]
Midnight Mass
Squid Game
Colin Kaepernick in Black & White
Loki
Cocaine Cowboys
Turning Point 9/11
F1 Drive to Survive
Night Stalker
Challenger The Final Flight
Bad Boy Billionaires of India
Why Are You Like This
Maid
Star Wars Vision
Love Death & Robots
Murder Among the Mormons

Grunge Hamster

alt account
Banned
Dec 1, 2021
I really enjoyed WandaVision and the discourse around it, Squid Game too with how many people also liked it, Only Murders in the Building was fun. Komi-san was really funny, sometimes relatable šŸ˜³. Benedict Society, and Curb were cool too!

Corncob

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Succession
I Think You Should Leave
Reservation Dogs
Arcane
Mare of Easttown
Ted Lasso
Midnight Mass
White Lotus

Smoolio

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
arcanepostercqknn.jpg

Incredible characters that you will emotionally invest in, plot with many surprises and great payoffs, insane animation and art design, and a slow burn wonderful sapphic ship.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
I was excited for this as a big Sandra Oh fan, but honestly couldn't make it past the first episode.
Already forgotten exactly what rubbed me the wrong way about it, I think it was the show's mix of comedy and drama was just really off for me, and the premise didn't really do anything for me either, sadly. :(

It gets better. But yeah the first episode wasn't really grabbing me at first either.

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
Some people are not reading the OP lol

My two favorites have to be For All Mankind and Ted Lasso. For All Mankind is just extremely dramatic and intense, with some real emotional gut punches along the way. Ted Lasso is really charming and quaint, such positivity and really funny moment and characters. It also has some emotional gut punches as well. Both are just top notch shows. That said, I've not watched a lot of the shows people are big on this year. I instead mostly spent the year trying to keep up with shows I had already started or watching old shows I hadn't seen like The Office, Schitt's Creek, or Umbrella Academy.

Oh, honorable mention to Resident Alien which was genuinely hilarious.

stn

Oct 28, 2017
I haven't watched many shows, but My Name is probably my favorite. Haven't finished it, but Witcher (Season 2) is also up there.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
GO WATCH MIDNIGHT MASS

70XjItZU5OgHk3JRwjJPkpzPxo7.jpg

One of the best horror properties I've seen in ages.

I watched Loki, The Witcher, WandaVision, The Expanse, and a bunch of others this year as well. Midnight Mass is the one that stood out.

Catdaddy

Oct 27, 2017
TN
Tie:
Only Murders in the Building - turned out to be great from start to finish.
Squid Game - surprisingly good and great concept.

We watched a whole bunch of older shows, but only counting the ones we watched back seasons of and released a new season this year.

We hopped on the Yellowstone train this year binged S1-3 this summer - only to watch the show come to grinding halt in S4 - so bleh... and its spinoff that was advertised 1000 times during S4 only made me want to rewatch Deadwood.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Arcane
Cobra Kai Season 3
Midnight Mass
Brand New Cherry Flavor
The Marvel Stuff

The Marvel stuff was fine, I'll always enjoy those because I'm a Marvel fanboi, Kai is always fun, Midnight Mass was more Flanagan goodness (and much like Marvel, im also a Flanagan fanboi so...) and Brand New cherry Flavor was good but the ending annoyed me, but Arcane was the only thing that really knocked me off my socks.

Who saw that coming really?

Haloid1177

Oct 25, 2017
1. Succession: Continues to be the best show on TV, it's insane how great this ensemble cast is, and the finales hit like nothing else.
2. Scenes from a Marriage: Heart wrenching, with the best acting you'll see in a show this year.
3. Midnight Mass: Flanigan came back with a vengeance after a miss for me in Bly Manor. Not what I expected, and better for it.
4: Curb Your Enthusiasm: People are down on this season, but I think it's great. Lots of great cast additions.
5. Mare of Easttown: Went in with no expectations, and this show hit like True Detective S1.
6. What We Do in the Shadows: Continues to leverage utter insanity like not many shows do. And leaves on an amazing cliffhanger.
7. The White Lotus: A show that I had no idea what I was getting into, and instead introduced Murray Bartlett as perhaps the best character of the year.
8. Loki: Not big on the Marvel shows as a whole, but Hiddleston and the eventual villain reveal elevate this higher than I expected.
9. Maid: As someone who has helped a friend through domestic violence situations, this show should be a must watch, v authentic.

I don't really have anything else I can consider great from the TV front that I've watched this year, and I'm hoping to get through The Underground Railroad on Prime soon.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
So far my favorite 2021 shows are Yellowstone, Mare of Easttown, Foundation, and Evil.

I try not to watch most shows until they are finished or a few seasons in, so I haven't watched many of the 2021 stuff yet.

Last edited:

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
My favorite shows of 2021 in no particular order:

ā€“ Midnight Mass (Netflix)

5fWLhX1lCgxgwBoGDDhhVoOSBLJ.jpg

I'm glad so many people are mentioning Midnight Mass as their favorite of 2021. Each time Mike Flanagan releases a project we can be sure it will be something special, and this show is no exception. With a stellar ensemble cast delivering so many career-defining performances in a package that radiates the specific brand of humanity Flanagan is known for, this show is like no other. Given enough time, I'm convinced it will become an important classic.

ā€“ Motherland: Fort Salem, Season 2 (Freeform)

7Wl7aciIVA9ieLJezwe7ATuqrw7.jpg

Nobody here mentioned this? So many more people need to be watching this show. It's phenomenal. The second season was as good if not better than the first, and the show has such a fascinating worldbuilding. The writing continues to be impressive, and the whole cast is just incredible. I can't wait for the upcoming third and final season in 2022. Give me more Raylla!

ā€“ Dickinson, Season 3 (Apple TV+)

dDdcAfHBZ6Aalv53iR6o35CSLWA.jpg

What an amazing show! It has so much heart. I had an absolute blast watching this. And even though it had a fitting ending, I'm so sad this show is now over. I would have watched at least five more seasons. This show will stay with me for a very long time.

ā€“ The Great, Season 2 (Hulu)

tpz9UQ3hUwYufNcKWVW00FCjWyc.jpg

This thing is just pure joy. With the impressive season 1 I was wondering if they could deliver the same kind of quality a second time, and they absolutely did. That was an amazing season! It was exciting, hilarious, heartfelt... I had a huge smile on my face throughout all of it. Huzzah!

ā€“ Brand New Cherry Flavor (Netflix)

cX4acZbi2l4v051NJZfonqY0E3X.jpg

This was such a ride... Rosa Salazar is amazing in this, and it's fascinating to see a horror show with body horror scenes that can rival a David Cronenberg movie. This show is definitely not for the squeamish, but it's one of the most interesting shows of 2021.

ā€“ Yellowjackets (Showtime)

XtnjzjjFAnmTEiDk4xu7diCvMF.jpg

Putting this show on the list of my favorites of 2021 is cheating a bit since it only aired 7 out of the 10 episodes in its first season, but so far it's still one of the best things I watched this year. The whole cast is just so impressive, and it has such an engrossing story. I can't wait to know where it's going.

Edit: Now that all episodes of season 1 have aired, I can safely say that Yellowjackets is my favorite show of the year. Wow, what a show! I like it even more than Midnight Mass, and being the huge Mike Flanagan fan that I am, it definitely means something, lol! :p

Last edited:

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
WandaVision

I'm a big fan old classic sitcoms ad seeing them recreate the styles of the decades so faithfully was awesome, Wanda's story was heartbreaking too, I've rewatched the entire show several times.

Star Trek: Lower Decks

I love the characters, the show manages to do classic Star Trek adventures in a comedy format and I enjoy all the references and cameos of older characters.

The Wheel of Time

It was flawed but it was still the most fun I had with a show in the second half of 2021, I love the world and the cast and I can't wait for season 2. I especially like how colorful it is, I've seen enough brown, beige and black fantasy.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Squid Game ---- Just amazing. The show managed to be dark and bleak while delivering on the emotional, lighthearted and funny scenes. Definitely the most engaging show I've seen this year.

Midnight Mass
---- Such stellar writing and acting.

Yellowjackets ---- First season still isn't done, but I love how this show is slowly build ups towards some crazy shit teased in the 1st episode by going back and forth between different timeline.

Chucky ---- Just crazy and fun horror show. It delve into the origin of our favorite killer all the while acting as a sequel to its last movie.
Only Murders in the Building ---- Such a funny show. The finale is abit of a letdown though.

Last edited:

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Squid Game
Only Murders
Loki / WandaVision / Hawkeye
Arcane
Cowboy Bebop the original anime (first time watched in 2021)
Reservation Dogs, Taiko Waititi's latest amazing coming of age TV show

ones I did not really like

Foundation
Wheel of Time (hoping season 2 improves)
Cowboy Bebop (the live action series)
Tiger King 2021 (bailed after 15 mins)
whatever bullshit HBO put out as the "Friends reunion"

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
In no particular order:
- Succession season 3
- The Underground Railroad
- Mr. Inbetween season 3
- Squid Game

Can't think of any other shows/seasons this year I'd put on the list, aside from Gomorra season 5 (GOAT show, but still have to watch the final two episodes).

Last edited:

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
Ok, let's go.

1) Only Murders in the Building: The undisputed show of the year for me. Amazing comedy, amazing characters, and Steve Martin just decides to remind everyone he's a master of physical comedy by the end.

2) I Think You Should Leave (season 2): A second season that managed to outdo a classic first season without retreading any ground. My family hates this show because I won't stop quoting it.

3) Ted Lasso (season 2): I honestly don't get why this season was so divisive. "Rainbow" is going to be an all-time classic episode for me.

4) White Lotus: A winner just thanks to the score. Murray Bartlett is amazing.

5) Hacks: The "Fuck you, Lemony Snickett" scene is an all-timer.

6) Cruel Summer: Really fun mystery with great acting. A very fun Summer watch.

Honorable mentions: Wandavision, Hawkeye, Invincible, Mare of Easttown. Haven't watched: Succession, Cobra Kai.

Non-scripted show of the year: Top Chef Portland. DId they drop the ball with the winner? Yes. But the whole season was probably TCs best non-All Star season in a loooong time. Covid cast a large shadow on the show (many chefs had to close their restaurants during the pandemic), making the cheftestants stories carry a lot of weight. And the top 5 was amazing (with that one exception).

Spikematic

Oct 28, 2017
I have a top 10 ready, but I want to watch Cobra Kai season 4 before I post it here, because I have a feeling that show will find its way into the list! Having said that, thanks for sharing your lists guys, I'm always on the lookout for new shows to add to my growing list. Seems like Mare of Easttown and Only Murders in the Building are two that I should jump on asap!

Oct 27, 2017
-- #10 --

Servant S2 [[Apple TV+]] - ā˜…ā˜…ā˜…Ā½ā˜†

rwZq4SS.jpg

Most people sleep on Apple TV's offerings but while they may not offer up the breadth of content Netflix, HBO or Prime do, their hitters hit hard and are right up there with other services' best. Servant is one of those gems ā€“ adept at combining the psychological and ethereal horror of its tragic core juxtaposed against the brilliant black humor and comedic beats, Servant layers its easy-to-invest-in complex characters, their lives and the situations they find themselves in against all the twists and turns inflicted upon them. Not knowing whether you should feel sorry for them or terrified of their actions makes its ongoing mystery and the ruses along the way captivating television. The series is carried on the backs of standout performances from its impressive main cast with Rupert Grint turning in the best performance of his career as Julian. He is mesmerizingly effective balancing character moments that range between unfeelingly humorous and curiously profound, the appeal of the guilt his character shoulders and the faƧade of presumptuousness he hides it behind it serving as an effective vehicle through with the show is able to drive its narrative forward. There's a whimsical and macabre clarity to the ruses offered up forcing characters to formulate plots that inevitably spiral out of control ā€“ Julian offers the viewer an essential reprieve from the dread of this world.

The disparate coping mechanisms Sean, Dorothy and others display in grappling with the loss of Jericho shrewdly evolve in real time to placate the psychological breaks these characters endure, the thematic and allegorical biblical symbolism as well as the metaphorical representations of renewal and rebirth lurking around the periphery of every scene in both obvious and obscure well-placed manners. This deepens the supernatural perplexities of Servant, heightens the diversionary tactics that keep you guessing and allows plot devices such as memory erasure to feel like fully committed parts of the show's premise. Roscoe's hypnotic entrancement ā€“ an unsettling scene with a creepy tenor reminiscent of Get Out, dovetails nicely with Dorothy's exhausted state and inability to recall Jericho's death that allows the show to lay out stimulating directions it could take as it reveals how everything ties together. The desperation and compartmentalization of Dorothy is a splendid example of the way Servant navigates the torture its characters inflict on themselves and each other. Her outwardly cruel and bizarre extremes manifest alongside humorous beats while she navigates her personal trauma in parallel with her inability to cope with the ramifications of her own reality and the mistakes she's made. These boundaries are bumped up against but not overstepped allowing a delicate tonal balance that serves the framework of the show effectively. Leanne's character arc this season is also captivating and well earned; the insight into her history and the abusive household she was raised in serving as a foil to her own agency, purpose and reconciliation from her past. The measure of humanity and independence she regains through her victimization at the hands of Dorothy sets in motion the Biblical framing of her supernatural abilities and the potential roles grief, resentment and tragedy impart on both the circumstances of her character and the parallels with those she's entrusted to. I love the fact that the supernatural aspects and correlation between those and unexplainable events was leaned into more frequently this season.

At times it was at the expense of tight narrative plotting and mystery giving way to fleshing out characterization but the directorial work in Servant sets the mood and tenor fantastically ā€“ especially when it comes to the energy and malice imbued in conversations centered around preternatural implications set forth by characters like George. The literal and metaphorical blurring of its mysteries deepens them with a tedious meticulousness that never feels overbearing because the connecting tissue offers up just enough satisfying payoff to make them feel worth it. While I have slight problems with the non-linear introductions that further convolute the plotting and its insistence on creating confusion as to what's real or not, the tacitly intelligent studies of Servant's themes ā€“ and the cathartic nature of it, highlight the humanity of its characters and the evolution of their arcs through a visual storytelling that you can't help but become engrossed in. I do get the feeling, because of the poignant imagery reinforcing the thematic elements of the series, that Servant takes place in a conceptual purgatory where those who are unable to confront their sins and accept their fallibility are destined to entrapment until they're able to save themselves. I just hope the show continues to be its unpredictable idiosyncratic self, subverting expectations and answering its own questions with bewildering revelations. The tantalizing mystery, supernatural dread, grounded world and grim moodiness raised the tension and stakes to a level that made its action and character development feel purposeful in its second season. In a landscape filled with disposable dramas, Servant's supernatural mystery thriller flair and the compelling narrative paths it teases are a must watch.​

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Arcane, Invincible and a show I don't think many people watched called Brand New Cherry Flavor. Honorable mentions to Midnight Mass, Ted Lasso and Only Murders.

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
Man, I wish Brand New Cherry Flavor was a bigger hit. Super cool show. A second season would have been welcome. šŸ˜ž

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
AEW Dynamite & Rampage
Arcane
Archer (RIP Mallory)
Witcher season 2
Hawkeye and all the MCU shows (except Hit Monkey)
Chucky
Invincible
Legends of Tomorrow
Bad Batch
Creepshow season 2
Superman & Lois
Blade Runner: Black Lotus

SP.

Oct 27, 2017
Succession is the best show on TV, so that's without question the best thing I've watched this year. It's getting to the point where it might be the best show I've ever seen. Really damn good writing and performances, and pretty much zero complaints.

Everything else I watched, more or less ordered best to worst:
  • Wandavision - The superhero stuff is getting pretty exhausting at this point, but I did find Wandavision to be pretty unique even though the ending was pretty flat.
  • Loki - Extremely solid throughout, with a surprisingly great performance from Owen Wilson.
  • The Witcher (S2) - Better than season 1 but there are still some weird pacing issues with this show.
  • Ted Lasso (S1 - S2) - Season 2 just felt like a mess compared to season 1, and the lack of an overarching plot point made the whole thing felt badly stitched together.
  • For All Mankind (S1 - S2) - Love this show but the formula is starting to get a little phoned in, looking forward to where they go next.
  • Clarksons Farm - One of the better shows on Amazon though that might not be saying much. It was fun throughout.
  • * - The Man in the High Castle (S1 - S4) - Loved this show up to season 4, which was an absolute trainwreck.
  • Foundation - Feels like the writing is too clever for its own good, and the major plot points are pretty predictable.
Still watching whatever Walking Dead stuff AMC puts out, if only out of curiosity regarding where they're taking things. FTWD was getting quite good but what's been released of season 7 I'm finding to be pretty bad. TWD season 11 is not good, though I suppose that's to be expected.
  • Fear the Walking Dead (S7)
  • The Walking Dead (S11)
  • The Walking Dead World Beyond (S2)
Thought these were pretty disappointing, though I really only had expectations for Falcon and the Winter Soldier:
  • The Falcon and the Winter Soldier
  • The Grand Tour (S4 Special)
  • The Great Escapists

* - Didn't air 2021

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2017
Not nearly enough love for The Other Two in this thread! The mid-credits scene in the finale was probably the hardest I've laughed all year

nitekrawler

Oct 28, 2017
I'm weirded out that I've seen so many of the responses. Normally I come in here to get recommendations. I suppose the pandemic has given me more tv watching time.

It's flawed, but Foundation was my favourite new show this year.
I wonder what you think about it is flawed. It's my number 1 pick as well.

The rest in no particular order:
Ted Lasso
Mythic Quest
The Shrink Next door
Invincible
Loki
Midnight Mass
Sex Education
Mare of Eastown
Squid Game
Sex Education

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like I need to give For All Mankind, Succession, and Motherland: Fort Salem another try. I tried the pilot/first episodes for all 3 and wasnt sold at first glance.

Also, Vigil was another favorite of mine from this year.
maxresdefault-1-scaled.jpg

Really compelling mystery that takes place on a sub in the British Navy. Probably my favorite of the limited series crime shows of late.

I finally checked out Yellowstone a few weeks back and that is probably my new favorite show, after Billions. I just didnt understand the hook of the premise when the show was first starting, so I never gave it a chance. But man its so good. I would compare it to Billions or House of Cards, with Cowboys lol.

So even with only 3 episodes so far, 1883 makes my favorite list too!
eGif8Zvbyvfi5nzZcuRSpA-1200-80.png

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
RatskyWatsky i think this thread is already more active than last year's voting thread lol.

I'll add my top 10 + thoughts in a few days, but I feel pretty confident that Cobra Kai, Succession, Scenes from a Marriage, The Beatles: Get Back, and Hacks will be my top 5. Really good TV year this year, and I still haven't gotten to everything on my list.

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017

Rubber_Cat

Aug 30, 2019
In alphabetical order:

Alice in Borderland S1 - Released in Dec 2020, but I watched it in 2021 so going to bend the rules as I liked it better than Squid Game which I got three eps into and have so far not had a compulsion to revisit.

BEASTARS S2 - That dumb wolf.

Castlevania S4 - Good ending to it all, shame about the creator 'n' all that, will have to see if the spin-offs ever surface.

Doom Patrol S3 - Felt a little less focused then the first two seasons but surprised we got a 3rd season at all so I'll take it. Still fun overall.

Invincible S1 - Really enjoyed this, can't wait for the 2nd season.

Locke & Key S2 - Yeah, it's kinda "Teen Drama" at times but I've actually enjoyed the differences from the comics. Rather than sticking 100% to it's now kinda its own thing.

Lower Decks S2 - Continues to be great, love the in jokes and especially loved the episode with (S2E7 spoilers)
Combs as the AI, brilliant

Resident Alien S1 - I'll likely watch and like anything Tudyk is in really.

Wandavision - Loved the trek through sitcom history even if the landing didn't exactly stick. Still better than most right now.

Wellington Paranormal S3 - Dafter (if that's possible) off shoot of What We Do In The Shadows.

What We Do In The Shadows S3 - Hilarious as always for S3. No idea what they're going for with S4.

Still to catch up on Hawkeye, Hit Monkey and some of the other Marvel stuff (nice problem to have but there's too much to watch these days, there really is) as well as non Marvel stuff like Centaur World, He-Man Revelations, Aggretsuko and the like.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I see a few mentions of Resident Alien. It was really good, but imo it dragged towards the end. That many full length episodes was a bit much for the material they had.