• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I still think some of these look reasonably close to the final game, at least in terms of the art assets or look like they could have plausibly represented where the game was at the time those trailers were made. In the case of some of them, the game wound up going through another year-plus of development afterwards, and things changed mid-development. Stuff like this is why I'm in favor of devs just not showing anything off at all until the game is basically done, or at least in post-production or something.

This one probably hurts the most.

To be fair, didn't Sony changing the PS3's GPU later on sort of pull the rug out from under Kojima?
There wasn't any gpu on the horizon at the time that would be able to run that at 1080p@60 circa 2006 as far as I'm aware.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
There wasn't any gpu on the horizon at the time that would be able to run that at 1080p@60 circa 2006 as far as I'm aware.
Wasn't it at TGS 2006 that Kojima showed off that MGS4 demo running in real-time? He was controlling the game and moving the camera around Snake's character model and everything, but I don't remember what the performance of that demo was at the time.

Kujumz

May 30, 2019
first halo 2 trailer was the grand daddy of bullshot trailers

youtu.be

Halo 2 - First Announcement Trailer [HD]

Der erste Halo 2 Trailer überhaupt hat seinerzeit die Videospiel-Welt auf den Kopf gestellt: Das damals so hoch umjubelte Halo: Kampf um die Zukunft (Halo: C...

then there was the fake level trailer after that

youtu.be

Halo 2 - E3 2003 Gameplay Demo Trailer [HD]

Hier seht ihr die allererste Gameplay-Präsentation der Halo 2 Kampagne überhaupt - live vor Publikum auf der E3 2003. Damals ein legendäres Video - und auch ...

Oct 28, 2017
I'm going to get a lot of flack for this but the Halo Infinite reveal in 2018 is the most recent example I can think of.

Either that or the game went through the worst kind of development hell.

Edit - thinking about it this probably fits more in the 'tone setting' category but was billed as an engine demo.

I guess if it was next gen only....maybe?

I'm thinking this!!

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Duality on the og. Xbox.

And of course Hybrid Heaven on N64

Both completely made up rather than just bullshots tbh

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
In terms of fidelity? Sure, I'm confident the final game will look as good or better than that. But in terms of how the fight mechanics, traversal, and interactivity work? I don't believe for a second that anyone is actually playing that.

Not to say what we get in the final game won't have similar QTE's just at this stage of development that's clearly all just scripted animations.
Was someone sitting there playing it with a capture card? Mmm yeah I won't take that bet.