• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

badboy78660

Oct 27, 2017
I love the PS4 from the software point of view, but hardware wise wtf Sony—biggest issue being how fucking loud it is.

Jaxar

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
OUYA - I actually helped Kickstart it and totally lost interest by the time it arrived. Never even opened the box. lol

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
The Xbox One and the PS4. The former has basically no incentive for me to own it other than Rock Band 4 which I don't even really play anymore. The latter took like two years to have games I cared about and while overall it's worth owning it's gone long periods of time without having a game I care about on it.

The Wii U was also kind of disappointing but it was sort of a gradual disappointment. Launch was above average, then it had like a half year long drought but I didn't really care since I had a bunch of other games I wanted to play at the time. Then it had like a period for over a year that was pretty strong but kind of petered out for me after 2014. But at that time in my life other things were disappointing me and I felt like the console had already justified itself so I didn't really care much, even though in retrospect it's easily the weakest Nintendo console.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also, as someone wanting video games to have standardized console hardware (similar to other entertainment media) without first-parties dictating content and where any company could make them, the 3DO was disappointing. Almost every 2d game on it was super choppy. It would have made a horrible standard.

upinsmoke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The exclusives are the only good thing about it. Everything else is terrible. The controller is terrible, the chargers are terrible, the system constant crashes with errors, the storage system can't count correctly, it's internet explorer sucks, PS Now is a scam, The UI takes too long and freezes up a lot, it sounds like a loud jet engine, I also get errors like when it wanted me to download a system software update but wouldn't let me and gave me errors.

It's an irritating, loud, broken system that is quite frankly overrated because of its exclusives. Without those exclusives, people would realize just how bad of a system it really is and just how incompetent Sony is.

If the PS5 is anything like it, Sony won't be getting my money ever again until Spider-Man 2 comes.

Weird. Besides being loud at times I've not had any of them issues. Look like you got a dud, unlucky bro lol

EJS

The Fallen - Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The Wii stands out for me. After Twilight Princess, it was barren until Metroid Prime and Galaxy. After those two games, however, I wasn't super satisfied with the content. Plus, it produced arguably my least favorite original Zelda title (Skyward Sword). It really didn't help that the 360 and PS3 were putting out great titles that appealed to me at a frequent rate.

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
N64 - I never found anything on that system I really liked.

Wii - because everyone had to play with motion controls. After Wii sports I struggled to find games I wanted to play.

Wii U - I bought it for Bayonetta 2 and Wonderful 101. And that was pretty much it for me. I did love those two though.

Vita - I love the system... But there aren't enough games to justify it.

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
Xbox one: It was just sitting there as a paper weight. Ms output this gen was just horrible, so i ended up giving it away to my nieces.

ps3 : Long install times/updates/slow interface. They had some fantastic games, but the console's functionality was just bad compared to the 360.

n64 : Loved the wrestling games, mario 64 and zelda oot, but a lot of other games never interested me on that system.

CowboyAloy

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
United States
For me it was the Wii U. The hardware wasn't the best and the game library was even worse. The controller was a madhouse though it obviously was a necessary step toward making the legendary Nintendo Switch.

Jeff6851

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wii - Had never been more hyped for a system and while it definitely had a strong first party output it was criminally underpowered and just seen as a party/family system by other devs.

Switch - I love my Switch and I'm excited to see what comes in the future but it's technically weak and a big portion of its library is made up of ports and indies that are cheaper and better on PC.

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
DSi probably. I thought it was an aesthetically worse version of the Lite, camera and music playback was dumb, and only one DSiware game was interesting which I bought on 3DS in 2011 as I never purchased a DSi

KanameYuuki

Dec 23, 2017
Colombia
PS4, loud high pitch system that eats up dust like it was electricity, tier trash controller quality with a terrible battery life, you can't play the game you bought unless you ask for permision and pay for MP but that one is for all consoles now unfortunately. The games while of quality ofc, feel like there is just no variety or genre diversity, just like we all joked Xbox was all fps, this gen it was all 3rd person cinematic experiences, open world optional.

Last edited:

FriendlyNPC

Oct 27, 2017
Must have been the N64 for me. I came from the SNES and expected the N64 to supply me with new amazing rpgs in the vein of Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy, Secret of Mana/Evermore, Breath of Fire and the Soulblazer trilogy. Suffice to say I got nothing and felt robbed. Years later I bought a ps1 and realized that all these games didn't disappear, they just migrated to different platform. I didn't really follow gaming back then and only bought the occasional Nintendo print magazine to see what's new. That's why I never realized earlier.

Last edited:

Deleted member 4413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In hindsight, Sega Genesis. I would have had so much more fun with a Super Nintendo.

Anyways, for things I was more immediately disappointed in at time of purchase:
Wii
Wii U
Vita
PS4 (though this got better after a couple years)

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
Wii - I decided to get this instead of a 360 or a PS3 as my first console of that generation, importing a launch unit from America, which was really bloody stupid. To compound my misery I spent a bunch of money on the Virtual Console, where those games will live forever because of Nintendo's lack of foresight regarding online accounts and ecosystems. I can't deny that it has a bunch of great games and I enjoyed the homebrew scene but there were long droughts and precious few games made good use of the Wiimote with even Nintendo lazily replacing what should be button presses with waggle to try to justify it.

Vita - I had low expectations going into this one and I still didn't like it. Luckily most of its interesting games got ported so there's little reason to dust it off.

Bioshocker

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
The Saturn. My interest in videogames took a hit during those years, admittedly partly because I was young and had very little money to spend on games but also due to the fact that the Saturn was so invisible in my country. As a Sega fanboy at the time, it hurt. Still to this day, now when I know more about all the games released on the system, it's the most disappointing console I own.

Stef

Oct 28, 2017
Rome, Italy, Planet Earth
Xbox One. Overall is a nice console, yet it COMPLETELY fail to build up on the success of X360.

Back then I was disappointed by the Amiga CD32: i thought it could have been a nice idea for pushing the Amiga format forward, instead it was a REAL mess. Too bad.

MakgSnake

Dec 18, 2019
Canada
PS4 and Xbox One at LAUNCH

Super disappointing. Didn't have any features. They were just black boxes playing new mediocre games.

We got all the features from PS3 and Xbox 360 in coming years but that is not good.

We should have all the features from the previous consoles on DAY ONE at launch PLUS have newer features that the previous don't have.

The first 2 years of PS4 and Xbox One were really bad for the console.... missing a lot of amazing features from previous GEN

Extended HDD Support was missing
Folders were missing
Media Streaming options
Customer and Dynamic Themes were missing at launch (This is basic 101 feature).
Xbox One didn't even Party Chat feature (if you are playing different games)
PS4 couldn't even play BluRay movies if you didn't update the system on launch day
3D BluRay features were missing for 2 years.

PS4 and Xbox One launches were the worst and very disappointing at the beginning.

brambles13

Oct 27, 2017
The frustrating thing about the GBC is that it is capable of displaying more colours but so many games stick to looking like NES or slightly updated GB games.
The GBC if I recall had a pretty low limit on colors per spirte or something like that. While the GBC was technically more advanced than the NES, there were very few games that actually looked better than the best looking NES games (like Kirby's Adventure for example). For a good example compare the original Mega Man series to the Mega Man Xtreme duology, the NES games look far better. Really the best looking GBC games I remember were DKC port, Shantae, and the Oracle games I guess.

Side note: I am sad how many people are mentioning Vita here. I currently have 103 physical games on it and many more digitally. It might be my goat system when accounting for all of the PSX and PSP games too. I got one in 2015 and have been using it very frequently ever since.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
The Switch.

- Mediocre build quality & battery life
- Horribly uncomfortable & tiny controllers
- Excessive accessory pricing
- Barebones UI lacking so many basic features, especially social (can't message friends. In 2020. Enough said.)
- Worthless online subscription service
- Most first party games have garbage online implementation, that is when they have any
- Barely any games I care about, and Nintendo pricing strategy means I'm never taking the risk to try anything

Yeah... pretty fucking easy one. Thank God for Mario Kart.

Feb 8, 2018
The only 2 consoles where the technical issue was significant enough to not let me play anything anymore are the Dreamcast and 360. This is the only way I can view them as disappointments because the rest felt polished and there was a good variety of titles.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Switch. I love the system so, so much. But the constant Joycon issues and the fact that most of the library is late ports/re-releases that are also sold at a significant premium...

It will eventually get some Metroid games and that's pretty much all it takes for me to consider a Nintendo system to be worth it, but I really had so much more fun with the Wii, Wii U and 3DS.

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
The first half of the gen for ps3 was hugely disappointing, second half of the gen improved due to exclusives but it still played second fiddle to the 360 as far as third parties were concerned.

Switch. I thought it would be my indie / retro machine but the joycons are so bad I don't want to use them so I pick everything up elsewhere.

ultramooz

Oct 27, 2017
Paris, France
PSOne was the first console hardware to fail on me TWICE. Thanks Sony for the shoddy build quality and not giving a shit about it. 1st Console died a few days after the release of metal gear solid. 2nd one died while playing FF IX. Out of warranty and didn't have money to buy another.

Xbox ( the first one ) : Bought for Jet set Radio Future and the promise of "True fantasy live online" a vaporware LEVEL5 game that was never made. Hoped the console would be a worthy follow up to the dead dreamcast - it wasn't.

Hated the games and the "mature" / edgy philosophy behind the brand.

Vita : horrible ergonomy - hated the sticks and most of the games were disappointing. Proprietary storage was astoundingly expensive and this kept me from buying games. Most people pirated games and didn't care I guess since the price of the storage was compensated by the "free" software.

Never understood Gaf fetishising of this unwieldy brick.

XBOX 360 : another piece of garbage hardware - 3 successive rrod. Only played bioshock, bayonetta and some indie games.
Kinect was a joke and its marketing was pure lies. Couldn't play most games because of the space needed.

Wii U : some amazing games but too few, and the asymmetrical gameplay was almost never used in games.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Wii - About 1-2 years into its lifecycle, it became clear that this was a console for non-gamers. There were some good games but I think the Gamecube library was just a whole lot better overall. I really also hate the lack of HD graphics which made a lot of games look a lot uglier than they should have on HD TVs.

Wii U - I loved the hardware but then they never really did anything that fun with it? Launching with a third New Super Mario Bros in just a few years was also a huge disappointment.

Dreamcast - It has a great library but I couldn't sell it to a single one of my friends as the common thing I heard was "I'm waiting for the PS2". Then it was on the market and gone in like 2 years so I don't know how you can frame it as anything other than a disappointment?

N64 - The N64 started strong with Mario 64 and Pilotwings 64 but then games came out slowly for it. Most of the games felt very kid oriented and expensive which were two deal breakers for a then teenage me. The Playstation (and PC really) just had way more games that were more my speed.

PSP/Vita - These both kinda had the same problems for me. I was super excited and ready to support a high end portable gaming system but PSP games had absurd load times and the Vita had that memory card fiasco. It's like they could never really get the hardware where it needed to be.

Windows 95/98 PC Gaming - What a shitload of fuck. This era of Windows is actually all the hyperbole that PC gaming haters talk about now. Some amazing titles but thank the good Lord for Windows 2000/XP for giving us a stable platform to play games on.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I guess it's not technically a console but the Vita.

I adored the PSP but the Vita just didn't have the library of games I was looking for after the PSP.

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Any multiplatform game on Vita got the 3DS port. Like the Lego titles. They were never the full-scale titles.

Wii - About 1-2 years into its lifecycle, it became clear that this was a console for non-gamers. There were some good games but I think the Gamecube library was just a whole lot better overall. I really also hate the lack of HD graphics which made a lot of games look a lot uglier than they should have on HD TVs.

Wii U - I loved the hardware but then they never really did anything that fun with it? Launching with a third New Super Mario Bros in just a few years was also a huge disappointment.

Dreamcast - It has a great library but I couldn't sell it to a single one of my friends as the common thing I heard was "I'm waiting for the PS2". Then it was on the market and gone in like 2 years so I don't know how you can frame it as anything other than a disappointment?

N64 - The N64 started strong with Mario 64 and Pilotwings 64 but then games came out slowly for it. Most of the games felt very kid oriented and expensive which were two deal breakers for a then teenage me. The Playstation (and PC really) just had way more games that were more my speed.

PSP/Vita - These both kinda had the same problems for me. I was super excited and ready to support a high end portable gaming system but PSP games had absurd load times and the Vita had that memory card fiasco. It's like they could never really get the hardware where it needed to be.

Windows 95/98 PC Gaming - What a shitload of fuck. This era of Windows is actually all the hyperbole that PC gaming haters talk about now. Some amazing titles but thank the good Lord for Windows 2000/XP for giving us a stable platform to play games on.

I don't think you like video games

tenderbrew

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
That I purchased?

Original Xbox
Playstation 4

These 2 mostly. Mostly because they didn't have exclusives for me that justified getting the consoles.

Now there are a whole lot of other consoles that I didn't buy that would have also fit this. But these are the 2 that I bought.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Wii - The console just lost so much steam for me after Brawl. I also really didn't like forced motion controls in games like DK and Skyward Sword which meant games I was excited for ended up disappointing me. I don't think Wii is a bad console, it was just disappointing for a Nintendo machine and a company that always seemed to care about games feeling great to play.

Xbox One - This is definitely the least use I've ever gotten out of a system. 360 was great but Xbox One has completely soured me on the brand. It barely has any exclusives I care about and the multiplatform games seem to be better on PS4. This was just a complete dud for me and the only console I've ever regretted owning.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
Wii U, shouldn't of bought one.. I'll never buy a Nintendo console day one ever again because of it. My life would honestly be better if I had skipped it since I could of just enjoyed the library today on Switch with upgrades.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Xbox one, WiiU, 3ds, Switch (I have ended up liking it a lot more the 2nd time), Vita (battery and memory cards mainly), DS, and SNES.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Xbox One - After preferring the 360 over PS3 the previous generation, there were practically no new exclusives that really interested me, while PS4 has been loaded with them. Because of that I went PS4 Pro eventually and then that made me start buying even non-exclusives exclusively on PS4 Pro because it was my most powerful system, I couldn't justify the One X.

Wii - I called the commercial success of this console, as I thought motion control would be huge. But for me personally it never really was. Motion controls peaked with Wii sports rather than that just being the concept demo I thought. I didn't really appreciate the motion controls on most other games. Nintendo's first party support was solid as always, but i've preferred their Wii U and Switch output.

PSP - I liked the tech, but I got a dead pixel that annoyed me everytime I picked it up and the game support was weak. More impressed with the Vita but never purchased because of PSP.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Actually owned - PSP, Vita, 3DS.
Owned but either got got very late, or didn't own it for long - wii (I think I bought it 4-5 years after it was released just to tinker with), Saturn (returned after a week, slim pickings for games during opening week or month, whatever it was).
Glad I never bought - Xbox One
On the fence - N64. While I've had some memorable times with the various MP games like WCW, etc, not enough interesting games, and prices for said games.
50/50 - Switch

Just gonna note how shit the hardware was for the 360; I think I had five different systems. RRODs, one system would turn on but no video signal, 0 green/red lights on the power button.
A YLOD fat ps3. I think I ended up just not buying another ps3 for nearly two years after it happened.

And while I lucked out and haven't had a single problem with any of my ps3 or ps4 dual shocks, the Xbox One Elite controllers are fucking trash.