• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Agent_J

Oct 30, 2017
My main issue is the fact that four fucking years later there has been no follow up! WTF WB?!

Hystzen

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester UK
Scarecrow is supposed be main villain but pops up at start and at end for probably 15 mins? Of screen time but a dead fucking Joker is more important because you love mark hamil joker guys .

Batman being a cunt to every member of bat family again for no reason not bad as him telling Robin to fuck off in Arkham City but still bad. Conroy sounds bored as Batman the whole Arkham Knight is a totally new character we made up but it really ain't bollocks they kept spewing.

Riddler master of riddles n puzzles makes racetracks

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Batmobile was just ridiculously shoehorned into the main storyline. I was fine with it being an option for traversal but the amount of tank battles and strange gadget justifications for why you had to use it were frustrating. Mission design wasn't varied enough even outside the batmobile; nothing matched the indoor areas of Asylum or City and if I recall there was only one major indoor area in the game.

Performance and optimization on PC were my other main issues with it. Even these days with a 2080 you'll hit rough patches.

TheDave545

Nov 4, 2017
I genuinely wonder if some people on here actually played the game when I see comments like "barely any easter eggs" and "too much joker".

The game has tons of easter eggs, tou just have to look for them, and listen to the rioters conversations, and too much joker lol the Arkham Trilogy is pretty much about Batmans constant battle against Joker, even in death, so it makes sense why he is there.

Also Scarecrows story arc was quality, Scarecrow isn't an in your face, constantly on your screen, larger than life villain, hes someone who plans for his endgame and his presence was felt throughout the game from start to finish.

Funny this thread has come up as I've just 100% the game last night and plan to new game plus it and do all the DLC, the game was great when it was released and great now, the only negative is there is no X patch.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
The Batmobile is one of a kind but gets destroyed by the Knight with a driller.

5 mins later "here Mr Wayne is a spare"

You don't understand, it was one of a kind because it was the only black one. :p

(no but seriously I was so happy when it got crushed only to have that godforsaken thing come back for one more "awesome" tank fight at the end).

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
Could've used more boss fights but I actually loved the Batmobile bits and I didn't feel like they put too much in there. It was always a nice change of pace for me.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
The Batmobile for me. It's a fine addition, but the leaned way too heavily on it. I don't even remember much of the game besides the tank segments due to how much it had.

stat84

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just the overuse of the batmobile(which was pretty good) for me.Especially in some boss fights.

If not for that then it would be my favorite Batman game.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
The batmobile was fun but there was way too much of it.

The game desperately needed more boss fights. Like, how the hell did Arkham Origins do that better than any of the other games?

Oct 29, 2017
I will say that the Riddler stuff all turning into race tracks made no sense. They arent puzzles.....but I guess that collecting a '?' trophy thats just hidden away isnt a puzzle either.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Besides the things OP mentioned which I agree with, the over-reliance on repetitive objectives in side-quests. There's always twice as many as there needs to be and it feels like conspicuously padded content.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I cheered when the Bat-tank was crushed near the end...

... and groaned when it was almost IMMEDIATELY replaced with an identical one.

I also was SO excited to see Scarecrow as the main villain after he stole the show in Arkham Asylum, but there was nothing close to those moments until the end, and they weren't nearly as engaging.

Same with the lackluster Riddler "puzzles."

"This isn't a riddle, Eddie!" All those races really took their toll after awhile.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I stopped playing the 5th or 6th time they threw waves of enemy tanks at me.

If I'd gotten past that, I'd surely have quit at the next Riddler race.

OP
OP
DragonSJG

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
I cheered when the Bat-tank was crushed near the end...

... and groaned when it was almost IMMEDIATELY replaced with an identical one.

I also was SO excited to see Scarecrow as the main villain after he stole the show in Arkham Asylum, but there was nothing close to those moments until the end, and they weren't nearly as engaging.

Same with the lackluster Riddler "puzzles."

"This isn't a riddle, Eddie!" All those races really took their toll after awhile.
Same

Matty H

Oct 31, 2017
I'm a pretty casual Batman fan (don't read comics) but Arkham Knight is my favourite game in the series and was one of my favourite games of 2015.

I can see why people don't like the bat-tank but I liked the variety it provided.

The use of the Joker was awesome but I was hoping for more out of the Arkham Knight character, considering his name is on the box.

It had my favourite Riddler trophies in the series.

Combat was the best of the series.

I loved most of the side missions.

Overall this game gets a bad wrap from hardcore Batman stans and game likers that don't like vehicle games. If it was a new IP with all the same mechanics and a similar story it would be looked upon much more fondly.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
The drone tanks......fuck me,how many of those things did I blow up during this game....it was insane,lol.I enjoyed everything else tbh.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Batmobile. I mean they made you do jumping puzzles in a tank, whose bright idea was that?

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I always wanted to play this game but I was scared away by the reviews saying the bat mobile sections are prevalent and unwelcoming.

With that said, is the Arkham collection on PS4 worth getting? I know people complained about it looking worse but does it run fine enough?

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
The alternate control scheme for the Batmobile should've been the default. Toggling it as soon as possible (it's not available immediately!) is the one recommendation I make to anyone starting the game.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
It was too good.

It wasn't a fake Metroidvania limited to a single, mostly indoor location.

No Hulk Joker boss "fight"

/s

While it really wouldn't be feasible, it would've been great had the game always given the player the option to choose their method of approach for any given scenario. That way, people who didn't want to use the Batmobile or use it in specific ways could approach challenges the way they wanted to. You can already disable or blowup drone tanks/turrets while on foot, and there's an upgrade for ramming into tanks to blow them up, these options needed to be fleshed out as much as the basic combat and stealth gameplay.

I can't really fault the devs for adding all the Batmobile features and designing the city to be as open as it is because that made for awesome scenarios like being able to boost across the city, launch out of the bath I'll be home, and then smash through a skylight on top of some goons all seamlessly.

While there were too many tank fights, they played fine, especially compared vehicles in most other open world games, but the quality of puzzles, driving challenges, and combat using the Batmobile and Battank are irrelevant if people dislike it based on mere principle.

I always wanted to play this game but I was scared away by the reviews saying the bat mobile sections are prevalent and unwelcoming.

With that said, is the Arkham collection on PS4 worth getting? I know people complained about it looking worse but does it run fine enough?

Arkham collection is fine as a first experience if you can't get the first two on PC.

If you liked the first two, Knight is more of that with more stuff—just stuck to what interests you in terms of side content and stay with the main missions if that's all you want.

Son of Liberty

Production
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
California
Arkham Knight's identity, Scarecrow being overshadowed by Joker as the main bad and the ending were my major complaints. Other than that, I enjoyed the game a lot.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
I loved it. I even liked the Batmobile. Arkham Knights identity was fine, it was a Red Hood story. The bigger problem with that was trying to keep it a secret and not just calling him the Red Hood

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
I loved it. I even liked the Batmobile. Arkham Knights identity was fine, it was a Red Hood story. The bigger problem with that was trying to keep it a secret and not just calling him the Red Hood
Yeah, had the reveal happened way earlier, they could've explored the emotional fallout of that twist rather than just treating it as some momentous discovery.

Sharivan

Dec 29, 2018
Belgium
The only thing I didn"t like was the story. Everything else was great (yes, including the Batmobile sections). The best Arkham game imho

notme2020

Dec 3, 2017
#1 was the reason I stopped playing Arkham Knight. Hated the tank battles and batmobile platforming. I was excited for the new Riddler challenges and those were in the batmobile.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Not just Arkham Knight but whole Arkham series, the whole combat system is a complete mess: not only the fights are horrendous, you get overwhelmed in tiny and contrived location by a dozen of goons that attack you from all locations and you can't evade most of them, but also 2 hits kill you, the combos are a nightmare to pull, not intituitive to play and mostly you can't escape that fight scene unless you finish all enemies so everything is forced on you.
The pace of the game is also very very slow and not thrilling at all.
That is what made Spider-Man take the crown from it day one as the king of super heroes video games.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
I can tell you what *wasn't* a problem - the Batmobile. Were there times when it's use was frontloaded for puzzle solving? Sure. The same could be said for every other gadget throughout the series; at least this time around there was a lot to do with it and it added a whole new style of combat and traversal. Was it used a lot in combat? Of course. So is the normal fighting system, and you can bet that after 3 other games in the series, if Rocksteady didn't include a completely new way of engaging with enemies, people would have complained it was just marginal changes - and lets not pretend that having those instances be normal fighting would be so much better. At some point, autocombos and autocounters get old, and that point was starting to show itself by the end of Origins. It was used perhaps more than it should have been, but I maintain that the Batmobile was a necessary addition, and overall I'm glad for it's inclusion.

What was lacking was bits of pieces of everything else. As people have said, there were few truly great boss battles. Coming off of Origins, this was especially weird, since that had the best ones in the series, and you'd think they'd refine what worked so well, but...nope. The boss battles using the Batmobile were appreciated for their variety (that's right), but they needed to do more on top of it. Why didn't they build upon the ideas they had done with Mr. Freeze? Why did Deathstroke end with a tank fight (which was, again, fine, but I wanted more)? Why was the fight with the titular Arkham Knight just a series of predator rooms? Why bring back Scarecrow if he's going to done in so mismatched a manner? This is where the issues with the Batmobile are perhaps more justifiable, but even then, it's not that those sections were bad, per se, it's just that having it be all there was for these villains was just lacking, and added variety would have been appreciated. Really appreciated. Like, a lot.

The level design also seemed to take a step back. I didn't get the sense that the areas were anywhere near as overlapping more multilayered as I remembered other games in the series being. This was also the case in Origins, but compared to Asylum and City? Knight fell flat, again. This one isn't quite as singular,in that I can't so much point to any one area and say "what happened?" but that's because I hardly remember them, unlike my memories of earlier areas from earlier games. It just felt like not even more of the same - it's lesser than what came before. I was Batman, just going from room to room, and I wanted to have to think about things, and explore, instead of just going through linear motions.

Side missions also took a step down. Riddler no longer felt unique and zany, but instead all stuff we had seen before. IIRC, there wasn't even the Hidden Mickey type challenges, which...well, why not? The "lesser baddies" side stuff was all things we had seen before, or, much like the boss battles, included Batmobile stuff which was fine on its own merits but contributed to samey-ness when viewed on a whole. Nothing wrong with Riddler race maps; why was that the end all be all? The body scanning stuff? We saw it in Origins, and it got no more detective-y. Then this is on top of a real "early-mid 2010s Ubisoft" approach to world design: you see an outpost, you clear it out, the map reveals something or other, and nothing happens - repeat 20 times. These could have been interesting if the level design was up to snuff, or if there was more depth to the systems, or if Rocksteady hadn't randomly cut some enemies, but as it stood these all felt really, really, *really* rote.

Unlike many, I liked the Batmobile platforming and the tank battles. The problem was frequency. Batmobile racing events and repetitions of the tank scenarios were very clearly used as pure filler.

The game was a huge letdown for me because it crafted this amazing looking Gotham City, and used it poorly. Little interior exploration. The riddler trophies and secrets devolved into purest collectathon, without much commentary by Riddler or environmental storytelling behind them.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
they over tanked the bat pudding, I feel rocksteady were in a bind in hitting diminishing returns on everything else in the series, causing them to lean too far into batmobile stuff.
The tank mode in particular runs out of steam yet is the most recurring of the mobile antics that lacks a lot of the reasons why batman combat is fun in the first place.

Sometimes the game just throws the most hilariously forced batmobile scenarios like how the only way in to a place is some convoluted batmobile grapple action across numerous buildings to open a sturdy gate, you had to laugh really.

Yup.

Also, the boss fight against Deathstroke was a tank battle.

Deathstroke.

In a tank.
And it was an end of a sidequest line "payoff" to boot.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
Mainly too much batmobile, tank, no more interesting exploration like in the previous Batman. And the game doesn't look good. It's too blurry on consoles with all those effects, particularly in motion. The game is literally ugly because of that. The previous games were better looking on XB360 somehow.

Moist_Owlet

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
The story was ass. Anyone who passed by a batman comic in a store window could tell where it was heading from minute one. Which isn't a problem if it was well told and interesting. It wasn't.

Oct 25, 2017
Quoting myself from a previous thread:

Batmanning around Gotham (grappling and gliding, at least) was unreasonably fun. It's still a striking game, visuals and atmosphere both, and I'm a sucker for the predator/spy-fi gadgetry stuff. The good comes wrapped in a fair bit of bad though.

- I get wanting to feature the Batmobile to some extent, but it felt like a full third of the game leaned on driving/tank combat, and I might actually be underestimating.
- Riddler races were pure, unadulterated bullshit.
- Maybe don't go so far out of your way to hype your "brand new villain" if he's just a
reskinned Red Hood
- The boss fights, such as they are, suck.
- I don't hate the 750,000 riddles/trophies in theory, but don't lock a boss fight and the true ending behind busywork.

Still, it was a more good than bad situation for me. Don't regret the time I spent playing.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
The mechanics got stale — constantly figuring out some code to unlock a door, and solving cumbersome puzzles with a batmobile that handles like an RC car that feels like it has greased wheels. I finished it with attrition, it's a boring slog.

bigstef71

Banned
Jul 5, 2018
Chicago
I honestly loved the riddler trophies and the races lol. Even the combat with the batmobile wasn't too bad. It got cheap sometimes but overall I enjoyed it. The combat in the game was amazing

Oct 25, 2017
I liked the game but way too much Batmobile and Arkham Knight's identity was garbage, should have been Damian or someone new.

Honestly it should have been the regular Batmobile till about the midpoint it gets destroyed and replaced with the tank.