• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
in the land of diminishing returns, we saw hero shooters get cemented, the promise of MAG and all those Nova Logic games take root with Battle Royale. Destiny perfected the korean-style instanced mmorpg? VR for sure. Active reload round 2?

Curious what people thought were the big innovative epochs for the ps4/x1 and PC for 2014-2020

(And did we get any fully new genres?)

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Creating a multiplayer game with a high playercount sure seems to have gotten easier. Can't imagine an indie studio pulling off Fall guys last gen.

Firestorm

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
The Autochess mod for Dota 2 kicked off a completely new genre of Autobattlers that is super popular now. We have the standalone Auto Chess by the original creators at Drodo, Teamfight Tactics by Riot, Dota Underlords by Valve, and Hearthstone Battlegrounds by Blizzard.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I guess devs of action games have gone from copying Arkham combat to aping Soulsbourne in a way

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Souls style games became popular especially in the indie crowd.

Maybe gyro aiming will be a big thing next gen on Xbox and Playstation and not just PC and Nintendo.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
In terms of gameplay impact, the biggest change to me has absolutely been the onset of Games as a Service monetization. Look at the battle royale genre and see it littered with failed games (many of them quite good), while the majority of those remaining employ complicated Games as a Service elements -- challenges, progression systems like battle passes, cosmetics, systems that drive up playtime and increase retention. Did the genre have legs, or did the monetization? Gameplay continues to trend toward experiences that complement the Games as a Service experience -- repetition, low skill level entry points, etc.

And best yet, most gamers don't even consider or care about how much GaaS monetization has changed gameplay, game mechanics, and even genres. Because, rather like how buying a console can drive bias toward that console, playing GaaS games creates bias towards those games. They're designed for players to, to put it directly, get addicted.

I wouldn't be surprised to see this trend grow next generation, with even more established franchises leaning in.

Firestorm

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
In terms of gameplay impact, the biggest change to me has absolutely been the onset of Games as a Service monetization. Look at the battle royale genre and see it littered with failed games (many of them quite good), while the majority of those remaining employ complicated Games as a Service elements -- challenges, progression systems like battle passes, cosmetics, systems that drive up playtime and increase retention. Did the genre have legs, or did the monetization? Gameplay continues to trend toward experiences that complement the Games as a Service experience -- repetition, low skill level entry points, etc.

And best yet, most gamers don't even consider or care about how much GaaS monetization has changed gameplay, game mechanics, and even genres. Because, rather like how buying a console can drive bias toward that console, playing GaaS games creates bias towards those games. They're designed for players to, to put it directly, get addicted.

I wouldn't be surprised to see this trend grow next generation, with even more established franchises leaning in.
One of the things super interesting (and disappointing) about the Apex Legends launch was how even though the core gameplay was super interesting, players lost interest and people were calling it "dead" because there were no challenges, progression systems, or any other carrot-on-stick mechanics included. I know several people who were actually a little surprised themselves at how their gaming habits had changed. It was the most fun they'd had with an FPS in years but the lack of progression made it harder for them to stay interested the way they did back with games like Counter-Strike 1.6 from when we were younger.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Creating a multiplayer game with a high playercount sure seems to have gotten easier. Can't imagine an indie studio pulling off Fall guys last gen.

I can't imagine an indie studio pulling off Fall Guys this gen. Fall Guys was made by Mediatonic, a company with 200+ employees.

OP
OP
xir

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA

This is a quality insight. More of a. Evolution though, along with procedural generated stuff getting super popular beyond spelunky
The Autochess mod for Dota 2 kicked off a completely new genre of Autobattlers that is super popular now. We have the standalone Auto Chess by the original creators at Drodo, Teamfight Tactics by Riot, Dota Underlords by Valve, and Hearthstone Battlegrounds by Blizzard.
You know you forget Chess Rush :p
But yeah that does feel like a brand new genre actually just sort of hidden by it's mod roots. I still want to see a scorched earth/worms variant
I think more how the post sale economy has gotten intertwined with games aka games
As service
Ubisoft-style open worlds.
Nah that was locked down last gen
terms of gameplay impact, the biggest change to me has absolutely been the onset of Games as a Service monetization.
Yeah but it's more meta than direct
Feel like that's last gen easy

OP
OP
xir

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
No, I wouldn't agree with that. But I'm very sure devs/pubs want to make sure you continue to believe that.
Well since it's my question and I'm going to be the arbiter of my opinions I stand by it. Games as surface is like a layer below mechanics/gameplay and Butts up against it but that stuff was even their earlier with horse armor, double dragon 3 arcade weapons, Jericho cheat codes or gyromancer mts

funtastrophe

Oct 25, 2017
Did Ingress clones (like Pokemon Go and that Jurassic Park mobile game) start this gen? While this AR subgenre never super beasted aside from one or two games, I feel like it deserves a mention.

I'd like to see more applications of the idea presented by Mario Kart: Home Circuit. Playing a video game, but it's sending content that's happening in the real world to your screen, almost like a sort of reverse-AR conceptually.