• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

hwarang

Oct 27, 2017
I thought those two were refreshing ideas that were good examples of expanding a franchise.
173605-paper-mario-nintendo-64-screenshot-troopa-jr-is-a-mad-bully.jpg
images
200px-JobClasses.jpg

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Splinter Cell Convictions departure from "proper stealth mechanics that meant something" to "bloody assault" and how it basically felt natural to evolve to that was brilliant.

fattylion

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
From RTS warcraft -> MMORPG World of Warcraft
From JRPG Final Fantasy -> MMORPG Final Fantasy

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
All of the GO games (Hitman, Lara Croft, Deus Ex) were great interpretations of their franchises.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Yakuza Ishin. Besides picking a fun new time period, it also leaned heaver into character action gameplay with a combo meter, faster momentum combat, style switching (the first instance of it in the series) and a bigger toolkit involving ranged weapons.

Flower Sun and Rain was also a really unique spin off from Suda's The Silver Case, featuring exploration and puzzle solving instead of standard VN stuff. It also had a completely different tone.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Shining Force did such wonderful things to the Shining franchise that I don't think many people outright know that there are non SRPG shining games from the classic series.

shining-force.jpg

And Kirby's Canvas Curse is outright the best game in the entire Kirby series:

uXHil32.jpg

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Forza Horizon being a do-what-you-want open-world place to goof off got me to buy several games and play hundreds of hours of a genre and franchise that I was never interested in to begin with. Now I know I'll be getting Motorsport 8 day 1.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
of course probably the best example period is Panzer Dragoon Saga:

One of the best changes ever. The biggest compliment I can give is that it doesn't feel like an RPG set in the Panzer Dragoon universe, it somehow feels like an actual Panzer Dragoon game. It's an ATB RPG that somehow evokes the same feeling as playing a 3D SHMUP.

Mr_Antimatter

Oct 28, 2017
Discounting mascot games as well, Mario alone has like a dozen different genre spinoffs:

interstate 76 to Vigilante 8: from a open space car combat simulator to a traditional arena based car combat game. Same genre but very different interpretations and play style.

Oddworld to strangers wrath: from a puzzle platforming game to a bounty hunting FPS with all the same charm. Still miss oddworld as a setting.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
As Krejlooc mentioned the Kirby series is awesome at spin-offs. Block Ball, Pinball and Mass Attack also come to mind. All awesome games. I don't consider Epic Yarn a spin-off but that's one of my favorites, too.

Deleted member 28461

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Dead Space: Extraction. It could've been a generic on-rails shooter set in the DS universe, but they nailed the atmosphere and did some unique stuff for the genre. The progression system and vibe still felt as strong as they did in the mainline games, while the new perspective made it very much its own thing. Extraction is easily my favorite light gun game I've ever played. I think I would feel the same even if it wasn't a spinoff of my all-time favorite game.

Deleted member 51306

Banned
Dec 27, 2018
Op you just listed 3 of my all time favorite games/series. I really hope we see these again one day. Paper Mario probably a lock. I'd love to see new games in the other two series. Or at least some collections.

On topic, I really like Halo Wars. And it was already mentioned but Forza Horizon for sure.

Deleted member 19702

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Metal Gear Rising Revengeance
Super Mario RPG / Kart / Tennis / Paper
Final Fantasy Tactics
Resident Evil: Dead Aim
Pokémon Snap
Panzer Dragoon Saga

SkyOdin

Apr 21, 2018
The "Empires" spinoffs of the Dynasty/Samurai Warriors franchise were a fun and distinct take on the series. At their core, they were still centered around the same musou action gameplay. However, instead of just progressing between stages, the whole game is a full strategy game. Just like in Koei's Romance of the Three Kingdoms series, you pick your warlord and try to unify China or Japan. The big difference is that whever you invade someone, the battle plays out as a musou stage.

Adding in a strategic layer adds a ton to the experience. You can do stuff like hire ninja squads in the strategic layer who then help you capture bases in the action gameplay. The strategic layer also gives you a goal to aim for that provides a sense of motivation and investment. Personally, I enjoyed the experience a lot more than the vanilla Dynasty Warriors games, but I presume that they didn't sell well. Still I would absolutely love a Hyrule Warriors Empires.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

MGS is Tactical Espionage Action, but Revengeance is a really great character action game.

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
mcolgyh.png

Rocket Slime is in my top three favourite games of all time. Dragon Quest's already pretty jolly, but this one takes it to another level. It's like a resource-gathering action adventure game, with a moba-esque boss battles.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
I have a soft spot for Killzone: Liberation. Not even sure what to call it in terms of genre, but a neat and fun take on fitting an "FPS" into a handheld.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
A bunch of great stuff mentioned so far, I'll try not to retread any of them.

Battalion Wars was a pretty fun 3d action strategy spinoff of Advance Wars.

Onimusha Blade Warriors is a surprisingly fun party fighting game. It's basically the closest thing that exists to a Powerstone 3.

The Gargoyles Quest games are a spinoff of Ghouls and Ghosts, and are great in their own right. Apparently so is Maximo, but I've never gotten too into those games.

Devil May Cry is a Resident Evil spinoff by lineage.

dasu

Aug 2, 2018
I hardly think you can count this franchise given that the original series is dead too, but WarioWare was a great spin off from the Wario Land series.

GNOSIS

Oct 29, 2017
Does Persona count?

It basically introduced a life sim to the franchise and made it into another genre of its own. There was nothing like it. (And it even overshadows the main franchise.)

Although that didn't start from the first spin-off.

But there is also a Devil Survival which is a very good SRPG series.