• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BetoJR

Apr 27, 2020
Fortaleza - CE, Brazil
I was so afraid of cats hen I was a kid that, when they threw my first birthday party, my parents had the whole thing themed around little kittens and stuff. I still have the photos of me bawling my eyes out - and you can see the (lovely) decoration in the background; apparently, they only found out that same day, along with everyone else.

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
Watched Congo as a kid around 10 years old or such and it made me so scared of those grey gorillas so much so that i had nightmares for a time.

villains.fandom.com

Gray Gorillas

The Gray Gorillas are an unnamed pack of hostile apes that acted as the main antagonists of the 1980 science fiction novel Congo by the late Michael Crichton, and its 1995 live action film adaptation of the same name. In the 1995 film adaptation, they were all portrayed by Misty Rosas, David...

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
my grandma's creepy clown painting that was hung in such a position that you always saw it when you were going up the stairs. i use to hide my face every time i passed it. it was eventually replaced by a nice picture of boats but i still instinctively never looked at that spot.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
As a too small child, I watched a Tales from the Darkside or one of those shows where a guy didn't turn on the light before he entered his hotel room and instead of his room he was in an alternate reality room with like a demon woman that eventually had his baby. It freaked me out so much that I would always turn the light on before closing the door behind me for years.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
As a kid I used to have a very irrational fear of exotic and deadly venomous snakes when I was walking around at night.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
There was a pool I would pass by on my way to my buddies apartment who lived in the same complex. I would pass by nervously thinking that a fucking shark would jump out and over the gate to eat me.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
5540e8e26da811cd5d9128d4

Was a dino-kid yet for whatever reason seeing dinosaurs unexpectedly would give me panic attacks. And that was right around the Lost World and my local video store had big cardboard rex head inside that scared me so much I had to turn my back when we'd go there. The dinosaur mural at Downtown Disney freaked me out so much I had to walk past it with my eyes closed

Still get a slight chill when I stumble onto an image unexpectedly

Aranjah

Oct 27, 2017
For some reason, being able to hear the drip of a faucet or tub, particularly if it's not in line of sight (such as behind the shower curtain, or even if I'm just not looking at it) really creeped me out. Sometimes I have moments where it still does.

Some of it was that hearing a constant, cyclic sound in an otherwise quiet room is just creepy to me, and some of it was that the sound was similar to that of a ticking clock, which made me think of the passage of time and therefore mortality and death. I spent a lot of my teenage years being worried about death. (I still do that, too, honestly, but not as often.)

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
I was really afraid of cats for some reason, especially when I was maybe 6 or 7. I don't even recall having a particularly bad experience with a cat that would've brought it on, but I recall it reaching its peak during my brother's paper route. Our mom would sometimes drive us around during the paper route (as opposed to us walking - it was a small town), and I recall this one street having only two houses to which we delivered papers. One of us would take the first house while the other continued to the other end of the street in the car with Mom and return to pick up whoever took the first house. I tried to avoid the first house like the plague, though I don't think I ever admitted to it, nor did I ever let on that it was because of a cat.

Anyway, one day, I got stuck with that house, and that particular subscriber always wanted their newspaper on their side porch. Knowing the cat could be there, I snuck up to the porch and climbed the steps to put the paper up there, thinking the coast was clear. It was then that the cat jumped up from behind the side porch and onto the porch itself. Not thinking I had any other options, I approached the cat and spoke to it to calm it (though it was probably perfectly calm already, honestly), then hit it with the paper and retreated back to the car with the newspaper still in hand. I don't really know what happened after that, so I'll fast-forward to the next time I got stuck delivering to that house...

It was wintertime, so I was wearing a big, puffy coat with a hood. When it came time to deliver to the house with the cat, I was afraid that it'd recognize me from the previous incident, so I pulled the drawstrings on my hood so the hood covered as much of my face as possible, leaving me with a small hole to look through. I didn't see the cat this time, thankfully, so the ordeal really didn't go any further.

Oddly, this is the only instance I recall of having to deal with a cat when I was deathly afraid of them.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Crabs coming up through the toilet drain. I don't specifically know what they would have done once they got there. It couldn't have been good though.

I remember my dad pouring toilet cleaner in the bowl, saying that it killed the crabs, just to get me from freaking out about it
I'm sorry but that's the most rational fear in the world.
And while I was not been made aware of the risk of toilet crabs until pretty recently, like "just now" recently, believe you me I will take the necessary drastic steps to address this nightmare scenario.

Going to take the Cheney doctrine on this.

whiteninja

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This is gonna sound strange but that one scene in Spaceballs where they use the Schwartz to flip the switch on Mega Maid. For some reason the glowing moving switch scared the hell out of me and I would make a mad dash outside.
4nonQLd.gif

I was like 3 or 4 yrs old though.

trashbandit

Dec 19, 2019
I was afraid that all of the Earth's trees would disappear and everyone would suffocate.
In retrospect, not entirely irrational with respect to trees disappearing.

Kinketsu

Nov 17, 2017
Not really a tiny kid, more like 9 years old, I remember being concerned that planes flying over head or any lights I could see in the sky were incoming SCUD missiles due to constant nonsense about them on TV during the first Gulf War. Since I lived in a country with a bumpin domestic terrorism scene at the time, I probably should have been more concerned about that.

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
For a stretch a bunch of kids at my elementary school got their heads stuck in chairs and railings for some reason. This led to a fairly long period of me being anxious this might "happen to me."

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
I used to have nightmares about crocodiles even though there are no crocodiles where I live.

I used to also have a strange fear of bridges over waterways. I still have a fear of long bridges

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
I once went into the back yard of an empty house next door to ours and I turned on the faucet and couldn't remember if I turned it off and I was scared it would cause a flood and I couldn't stop thinking about it.

I was very young and anxious for about a week before I was able to go back there and make sure it was not still on.

Starwing

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2018
Insects, mostly anything black/yellow colored, flying, or both. It got to the point where I thought that the drilling and buzzing noises done in my apartment growing up were angry and loud hornets or yellow jackets coming through.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I thought Godzilla was going to step on the theater and kill me sometimes when I was at the movies. I only ever saw one Godzilla film as a kid and have no memory of actually being scared of it… and I don't live near the beach so even if Godzilla did attack they'd probably have had time to warn us to leave the theater.

All my other childhood fears were justified and continue to this day.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
It was bees. It's still bees. Brain just enters full-on absolute shutdown mode the second I see or hear one. It's bad with most insects that fly, but it's particularly bad with anything that's got a stinger.

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
I used to be afraid of anything internal to the body, but especially skeletons. We had these plantation shutters in the house I grew up in and my parents would have to close them at night because I thought they look liked ribs.

FinalArcadia

Nov 4, 2020
USA
There was a big (like several feet tall) baby bottle at the Kroger in my grandparents' area, and apparently as a toddler I was terrified of it and would cry going anywhere near it.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I used to think sleeping next to a window with the blinds open would mean aliens would abduct me.

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
I lived by woods so I'd always imagine a werewolf or witch lurking somewhere out there.

Oct 27, 2017
Sharks in a fresh water lake... and that's only because my father's friend let his daughter operate the motor boat we were on and she took turns WAY too fast. I wasn't afraid of the water or boats until that time and I went immediately to SHARKS because Jaws had made sharks a part of reoccurring nightmares (that still didn't necessarily make me afraid of water).

AvianAviator

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 23, 2021
I didn't like playing games as a kid because I was scared of 1) dying in the game and 2) Game Over screens.

Edit: I also used to have intrusive thoughts where I'd think something like "God's peepee" and then I'd be scared shitless apologizing to God for what I was thinking. Lmao.