• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kris1977

Nov 25, 2017
i thought it was just my imagination! I was landing jumping puzzles and platforming jumps in general on psp hardware just fine but I felt like I couldn't land my timings as well on my vitas

it's so strange though because apparently it's not emulation (which is usually the culprit for input lag) it's actually native psp hardware inside the vita if I recall correctly

I think it's a mix of native hardware and "some" emulation to get psp games working on vita, hence why a lot of psp games actually perform better on vita than they did on original psp (even if the psp was in 333mhz mode)

denseWorm

Banned
May 15, 2020
I thought it was an adult's game console. Like, too expensive and too complicated for i, of Gameboy advance experience, to understand. I thought it had programs which were more like some arcanely interesting excell, plus Metal Gear Acid, which looked like it would cost €300~

To be honest, i don't think i would have got much out of it then anyway, considering that i had no money for it and my parents wouldn't buy any of the games, considering the cost... I have one now and besides Lumines i can't really think of any game i would have really loved back when it first came out, or whenever~

icexxascended

Jan 8, 2018
Somehow became one of my favorite handhelds. I remember being wowed by the graphics and multimedia capabilities. Playing GTA with friends on the bus, listening to my music, even being able to send pictures wirelessly. I would stalk a website PSPFANBOY for the latest news.

Anyways, not sure what happened but all my batteries broke, I'm guessing due to storage temps? Idk but they like blew up in size and cracked the casing.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
The thought of wireless, portable multiplayer Mario Kart meant all of my interest was in the DS.

Timemaster89

Jun 8, 2020
I was obsessed with it. I was saving money as high school student and was drawing it on paper just to be prepared for it's size. Loved the console back then, now, it just stands on my shelf

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
Great screen, very powerful, but gosh if UMD and Memory Stick weren't so dumb. And the fjrst version had the square button that worked 90% of the time.

WHO THOUGHT THAT UMD VIDEO WERE A GOOD IDEA??

Kris1977

Nov 25, 2017
Great screen, very powerful, but gosh if UMD and Memory Stick weren't so dumb. And the fjrst version had the square button that worked 90% of the time.

WHO THOUGHT THAT UMD VIDEO WERE A GOOD IDEA??

I don't think umd was a good idea but back then, there really wasn't any viable alternative. When you factor in psp games could be upwards of a gigabyte in size, cartridge sizes or memory cards back then cost an absolute bomb . I genuinely believe there was no other route they could have gone back then for storage of games, video etc.

Deadceptor

Oct 26, 2017
Posted this in the PSP hidden gems thread, but this one seems more appropriate.

Can anyone with a PSP and Vita comment on which is the better experience for PSP games? Haven't had a PSP in forever, considering picking another up.

Vita hardware is better in just about every way, but does playing at native resolution make up for that? While the Vita's OLED is great, playing PSP games at half its resolution isn't.

Native Vita res for all PSP games is coming but the progress is slow as hell. It's certainly possible and the guy(s) working on it already know how to do it, but it requires a lot of work.

But still I'd say it's better to play PSP games on Vita even now, more so if you're running on CFW.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
yes it's definitely a matter of preference. It's "feel right" vs "old lcd vs new lcd tech". I don't have a 2000 yet but even playing on my 1000 above I just somehow prefer it ghosting and washed out and all. It's undeniable the vita 2000 screen is LEAGUES better than the 1000 and even my 3000/go. But somehow it just...for me personally anyway. It's hard to explain LOL. It just feels better for me on the original psps

I kind of get that too, that's why I use LCD shaders on the rare times I emulate GBA games on PC but yeah my PSP 2000 LCD was too much for me to stomach :P I thought of buying a 3000 just because but it's hard to justify when I have a beautiful Japanese Vita Slim in white/blue with CFW and 128gb of storage :(

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
Was in awe, and besides the Dreamcast, and until this day, it was the only system I bought Day 1

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think umd was a good idea but back then, there really wasn't any viable alternative. When you factor in psp games could be upwards of a gigabyte in size, cartridge sizes or memory cards back then cost an absolute bomb . I genuinely believe there was no other route they could have gone back then for storage of games, video etc.
Looking back on it...the issue was UMD wasn't universal, it is proprietary as it gets. At least memory stick pro duo worked on other Sony devices. But again, in 05, as you're saying, the 512MB card was like $80-90. Ripping a DVD and converting to
Xvid on a pentium 4 took ages.
I ended up skipping majority of PSP media functions. iPod got video and touch screen within ~3 years and kept getting cheaper

dedhead54

Oct 28, 2017
I bought one right after I graduate High School in 2005 and played the shit out of it for a couple years, until it got stolen while I was at college. Tons of Hot Shots Golf.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
I absolutely don't remember.
I just know I had so much trouble with the stick and square after a while.
UMDs were weird...

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
PSP in 2004 was astonishing, it looked like a handheld console from the future so much it was far ahead of what was available at the time.
That said DS wowed for the novel control inputs and innovative games and the rest is history.
Still PSP was the only non-Nintendo handheld console to really reach a mass market level of popularity, something missed by other attempts like Atari Lynx, Sega Game Gear, Bandai Wonderswan, Nokia N-Gage and Sony PlayStation Vita.

V-Rally 3 (GBA 2002)
115169-v-rally-3-game-boy-advance-screenshot-a-tough-curve-is-coming.png

Asphalt GT (N-Gage 2004)
841535-asphalt-urban-gt-n-gage-screenshot-cop-chase-mode-mark-the.png

Ridge Racer DS (DS 2004)
620985-924896_20041122_002.jpg

Ridge Racer (PSP 2004)
378877-ridge-racer-psp-screenshot-advanced-driving-part-2-why-stay.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2017
I thought it was gorgeous as a 12 year old in 2005. Still think its aesthetically lovely, specially when you compare to the clunky DS Phat.

Sagadego17

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
amazing handheld didn't get one until in 2011 sadly, also here's my monster hunter one i found own amazon my old one is put away
bfjw3lj.jpg

YNQ2N2y.jpg

grady

Oct 29, 2017
Bournemouth, UK
I still have two 1000s, got mine near launch in the UK and was blown away by what it could do. Pursuit force was one of my first games with it I think, still pretty good to this day

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
I was really excited for it as someone that enjoys handheld gaming. I remember people raving about the screen, so when I bought it at the western launch, I was a little underwhelmed at the screen. I don't know what I was expecting but I think I was so caught up in the 'dat screen' hype that I was expecting something next level. Aynway, I had tonnes of fun with my PSP and to this day I still have a PSP 2000 and a PSP Go.

OP
OP
nogoodnamesleft
Oct 25, 2017
I was really excited for it as someone that enjoys handheld gaming. I remember people raving about the screen, so when I bought it at the western launch, I was a little underwhelmed at the screen. I don't know what I was expecting but I think I was so caught up in the 'dat screen' hype that I was expecting something next level. Aynway, I had tonnes of fun with my PSP and to this day I still have a PSP 2000 and a PSP Go.

honest question since my memory was not the best-what other device at the time had a better screen in a widely available consumer device?

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
honest question since my memory was not the best-what other device at the time had a better screen in a widely available consumer device?
I have no idea and my post wasn't even about that. I was just expecting something truly amazing from the screen...and when I got it, it just seemed like a normal screen to me. I guess my expectations were out of whack because of the gushing over the screen online.

Qassim

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
it felt so futuristic. My friend got a Japanese import early and I remember staying over at his house one night, we were playing on it together (taking turns) and he fell asleep on my turn, I stayed up for hours after playing on it.

It was genuinely one of the most desirable pieces of technology ever to me, still to this day.

I didn't get one until Christmas that year, so Liberty City stories was already out - and that blew my mind. Portable Grand Theft Auto, with local multiplayer was the biggest thing to me and my friends. We were absolutely obsessed.

The device itself was cool, we would load videos and music up on it to show to each other. It felt like it had so much potential, and it did get a load of really great games - but we know it fell short of its potential ultimately..

I still have mine, but basically all my UMDs have been either destroyed or lost. (Yeah, UMDs were bad).

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
DBJjhLt.jpg

The button was not centered on the supporting rubber dome, so it would depress at an angle. It felt terrible and the button would sometimes get stuck under the front plate.

So THAT's why it happened!!! LOL

15 years to find out the reason why the godamn square button had issues lol

That was the Joycon Drift of the PSP lol

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
Being a sheltered person in some poor living situations then, I had zero knowledge of most current events due to no internet so I'd stumble upon something at a store or see it on TV. The sole exception to this was a pair of things in a magazine my mom happened to buy me, mentioning something about about the DS and PSP's upcoming battle. Being only stuck with a GBA and GCN, I had no idea that the DS even *existed* at the time, since most new games were still coming to GBA, and that's how I got things to play. But in that mag, the PSP just seemed like one of those weird made-up devices from movies: the kind that you think could never ever be made, but did: It looked to me as if it could run PS1/PS2 stuff perfectly fine and basically take the home console stuff to a handheld setting. I never got one nor had interest in it until a few years back due to the legacy content, but as a kid I did find it cooler than the DS and the concept to promise a lot more than my battery-eating GBA. (it and the DS were the first devices I knew of with charging cables)

If I was my current age when that thing came out I'd easily buy one over the DS, no contest. Lots of great compilations and RPGs on the thing.

Rubik8

Dec 5, 2018
I thought it was an amazing piece of kit and I was fascinated by it. I got to play with my cousin-in-law's PSP at a family gathering, and I was happy I bought a DS instead. As nice as the hardware was, the load times and battery life spoiled it for me.
I did end up picking up a later revision model on the cheap later on. But I mainly used it as an emulation machine.

Feb 13, 2018
New Jersey
It was an impressive piece of technology. I got it at launch, and even though I heard of problems with the square button, I never had an issue. Some good games for it too. I remember a lot of jrpgs for it.

retrobotjr

Jan 10, 2018
This thread got me mad nostalgic for PSP so I dug out my 2000.... battery is bloated to hell and back and the charger is hella sensitive so the slightest breeze causes it to disconnect so I can't even play plugged in.

so

Just ordered my first PSP Go! Can't wait to get it and relish in the original XMB!

Borman

Digital Games Curator at The Strong Museum
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
This thread got me mad nostalgic for PSP so I dug out my 2000.... battery is bloated to hell and back and the charger is hella sensitive so the slightest breeze causes it to disconnect so I can't even play plugged in.

so

Just ordered my first PSP Go! Can't wait to get it and relish in the original XMB!
Not quite the original XMB :P PSX was first.

Borman

Digital Games Curator at The Strong Museum
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
It's a PS2 and DVR combo, so you could record shows. The harddrives have been failing and cant really be replaced at this point, so not the best thing to be buying right now.

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
I remember it came out around the time I started working in HS. I saved up from a couple of checks and picked up a PSP w/ an imported copy of Initial D extra stage or w/e. Played so much w/ a buddy that our Spanish teacher took them for a good couple of weeks lmao.

I thought it was cool as hell but didn't particularly click w/ me for some reason. The only game I really played was Initial D Which is funny cuz I freakin love my vita these days.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
For its time it was amazing. Screen was gorgeous. Sounded amazing with headphones.

The biggest problem I had with the system was the analog. Everything was wrong with the analog stick. The location, the mechanism, and the hard plastic.

But everything else was fantastic. I loved watching movies on it

OP
OP
nogoodnamesleft
Oct 25, 2017

so

hell yes! From eBay? Condition? Hyped for you!

ThatsMyTrunks

Mokuzai Studio
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
San Antonio, TX
I remember being so intensely jealous of my friends who had one. When the GBA first came out I was so excited to be getting SNES games on a handheld -- then the PSP came around with its near PS2 level games.

Grand Theft Auto Liberty City Stories was one of the most impressive titles early on for the system -- a full GTA3 on a portable? It blew me away.

And then Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker ended up being my favorite MGS to play for years until GZ/V.

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Oh man, I bought one of these at launch and 15 years later I finally find out about the square button was supposed to be fucked?

As a kid I thought I fucked up the square button somehow since it pressed at an angle, what the fuck?

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
^ awesome collection.

to everyone: how is chinatown wars? i've never played either version, is it missing anything without the touch screen?

Izunavis

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Oh man I remember selling my black 1000 for the white one when it came out in Japan. Fight Night and Wipeout multiplayer with my friends was the shit and Metal Gear Acid and all sorts of gems on the way home from college. Absolutely loved this little beast.