• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rhete

Oct 27, 2017
I thought World of Warcraft was going to be a flop... like a month after it had come out and I'd hit level 60 with two characters. I quit playing and the game went on to do insane numbers for the first couple expansions.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Happen this year actually.

*mayham regrading Challenger 5 for smash DLC and pessimism*

me: "It's not gonna be Byleth lol chill everyone with the pessimism"

Sakurai: Byleth!

me: oh.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
The Switch is a handheld with terrible battery life and barely a bump over the Wii U for a home console power, it's the most half assed machine I'd ever seen that I was sure wouldn't work outside of Japan.

OP
OP
Metalmucil

Metalmucil

Aug 17, 2019
...that the Dreamcast would get Sega back on track as a console manufacturer and game publisher. The floodgate of piracy in its first year sent third parties FLEEING, just after Sega had done a bang-up job courting them with aggressive fees compared to Sony.
This one made me more sad than anything. I bought one immediately and loved it.

offshore

Oct 27, 2017
UK
It was before it had been revealed, but having come off a strong generation with the 360, I thought MS would kick on and that the next Xbox would outsell PS4...

I didn't account on MS fucking up Xbox One so badly.

Deleted member 35071

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
i really thought Destiny didn't look like anything special. From the E3 hype trailers etc, it just looked so bland and generic to me. Just cookie cutter random space shooter game. I thought it would crash and burn.

I didn't really change my tune till i played PVP in the beta. And i liked it more than Halo.

6 years later Destiny' 1/2 are probably my most played games.

ComradeYork

Oct 27, 2017
I got into PUBG right as all that was starting to catch on and my buddy got me to download this knock off Battle Royale mode Fortnite put out since he couldn't play PUBG on console.

Thought it was kinda neat, but clearly wasn't going to be anything like PUBG in terms of success.

So..

The_R3medy

Jan 22, 2018
Wisconsin
It was before it had been revealed, but having come off a strong generation with the 360, I thought MS would kick on and that the next Xbox would outsell PS4...

I didn't account on MS fucking up Xbox One so badly.

It's wild because from like 2005-2010, Microsoft absolutely killed it. And then they started to chase that casual dragon and it all seemed to fall apart. They basically wasted 2011 to 2014/15 chasing the casual and entertainment audience and lost their base as a result.

Wild to see the shift they've made since to games and GamesPass. Would never have dreamed those would be possible at the start of the gen.

LordBlodgett

Jan 10, 2020
I was so confident in Sega that I convinced my friend to get a Saturn instead of a Playstation. He never let me live that one down.

LordBlodgett

Jan 10, 2020
...that the Dreamcast would get Sega back on track as a console manufacturer and game publisher. The floodgate of piracy in its first year sent third parties FLEEING, just after Sega had done a bang-up job courting them with aggressive fees compared to Sony.
Man, I loved the Dreamcast. So many good first party games, and pretty danged good third party support too until the piracy.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I was way off on the Switch before it came out, couldn't believe it was launching at $300.

LordBaztion

Oct 27, 2017
Lima Perú
I tought Kinect 1 would be used to complement controller gaming and that curent gen controllers would be some sort of detachable controller that would mix motion with the traditional controller.
Also believed in the indoctrination theory.

PSOreo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That the 'Metal Gear Solid Legacy Collection' would be ported to current generation consoles.

Not necessarily a prediction, but I pre-ordered Star Fox Zero.
I think I cancelled a few days before release and thought $30 was about as low as would go...

That said, I actually enjoy the game for what it is. But, you can get sealed copies for like $10-15 now.

To be fair, I don't think the Dreamcast probably had much more life left with or without piracy, given the PS2 was looming around the corner.

Unless there's some data out there that says otherwise?

Last edited:

Puck

Oct 25, 2017
The moment I first laid eyes on a Wii-mote controller during the Wii reveal I was sure that it would fail miserably.

Then later when I saw the leaked concept art and heard that Guerrilla Games was doing a "robot dinosaur" game, I thought the idea sounded so stupid that it was bound to be a flop. Robot dinosaurs just sounded so childish and silly.

Glad to be wrong on both counts.

Oct 29, 2017
Florida
I thought the Wii U would've been decently successful. Didn't think it'd replicate the massive success of the Wii, but would have still sold well-enough.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
that no company would be crazy enough to buy a video game publisher!

Khasim

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I pre-ordered the collector's edition of Watch Dogs, the one with the hat and the scarf.
I still use the hat and the scarf, but I haven't played the game since release and never finished it.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I thought the Wii would fail hard.

I thought the WiiU would too.

So 50% lol

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I very confidently thought that World of Warcraft was going to be a massive failure. A lot of the bad word of mouth that came from the early betas with arcane and heavy MMORPG penalties sounded too harsh, and then when they corrected to its eventual launch state, my state as a subscribed FFXI player (which itself had tons of arcane and hardcore failure penalties at the time) made me think that it was too casual and my fanboyism for FFXI just generally made me think that it was an indication that Blizzard had no idea how to make an MMORPG and had no business making an MMORPG instead of just a regular Warcraft game.

Boy, was I wrong. And my friends convinced me to start playing a little under 2 months after it launched and I loved it right away and ate a feast of crows.

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
I thought the Dreamcast had a chance.

When that didn't pan out, I thought Sega going third party publisher was going to make them one of the biggest greatest ones of all time. They did nothing when they turned third party and spread their franchises to different consoles. It was really bizarre.

Last edited:

JimNastics

Jan 11, 2018
I predicted Banjo Threeie would be at:

E3 2002
E3 2003
E3 2004
E3 2005
E3 2006
E3 2007
E3 2008
E3 2009
E3 2010
E3 2011
E3 2012
E3 2013
E3 2014
E3 2015
E3 2016
E3 2017
E3 2018
E3 2019

Corona saved my blushses this year.

Spoit

Oct 28, 2017
That parkour was the future. ME is dead, AC has basically reduced it down to a single "awesome button" and brink..... we don't talk about brink

AmirMoosavi

Dec 10, 2018
I thought nobody would want to buy a wii

+1. Thought the name alone would have it ridiculed to failure.

Doom 2016 would suck and suck hard. All the pre-release footage looked fucking awful (they showcased that they were following basically every bad trend from mainstream console FPS games) and I had zero faith in Id since they hadn't made a good game since like... Quake 3? The multiplayer beta was embarrassingly bad too. Then the game came out and it was actually pretty good, and its success eventually led to Eternal which is the best single player FPS I've ever played.
I thought Doom 2016 would suck based on everything we've seen up to release. I was so happy wrong.

To be fair, a lot of the pre-release footage was not good, everything was slow-paced and there was a huge focus on the multiplayer. I don't think id themselves really knew what they had on their hands with regards to the single-player. I think the turning point for a lot of people was this Nvidia demo just before release:

My general faith in the Dreamcast and that Shenmue III would be released on the original Xbox are a couple more of my bad predictions, sadly.

Yes

Oct 28, 2017
Do you know why I bought the first XBOX? I thought Microsoft were going to buy themselves to top and Playstation would cease to exist.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
We would get a blowout of Shin Megami Tensei V info by November 2019. I was wrong by 8 months, as we got a new trailer and release year in July 2020.

diegdm

Feb 6, 2019
Not me, but a friend of mine said around 10 years ago that there was no way that graphics could ever be better or more realistic than PS3 graphics.

Oct 27, 2017
Vita TV would sell better than PS4 in Japan, becoming the de-facto new PlayStation home console for Japanese games

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
I thought the coming generation would have completely removed the disc drives as optional, only half right I guess.