• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Metalmucil

Aug 17, 2019
Let's fess up.
What was the most crow you've ever been fed? What predication did you personally make that was so hilariously bad, you can't even believe you made it?

Not industry people's predictions, YOUR predictions! The hill you died on that gained you nothing but future torment. The quote fodder that people bring up 5 years later just to shame you.

I swear to you 8gb of VRAM will not be enough!!!!!

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I thought Code Vein would horrifically bomb because it was uber delayed and I personally find its aesthetic hideous. It sold ~ 1m units after 6 months.

Never bet against anime.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I want to see all the Monster Hunter World doomsayers who doubted Famitsu man in here btw. It's like going against a Sicilian when death is on the line... You just don't do it. Famitsu man is inevitable.

Freeglader

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 13, 2017
Before E3 2013, I thought Final Fantasy XV was going to be a Hiroyuki Ito game. After I found out I was wrong I assumed Ito was busy working on XVI and that his game was originally meant to be XV until plans were changed.

Some of you might remember the posts of an individual named One Truth on GameFAQs... I bought into all of it.

I still wish XV was an Ito game instead of what we got lol

Last edited:

Adam Tyner

Oct 25, 2017
When I was in 7th grade, I put my winnings from a Nickelodeon game show towards an Atari Lynx, dead certain that the entire world would soon be ComLynx-ed together. I'd just be there a little sooner than everybody else, waiting.

Nope! And my one friend who had a Lynx and I hardly had any of the same games, so we only used that multiplayer feature a couple of times.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I thought there was no way Mass Effect 1 was ever coming to PS3

TeeWhy

Oct 27, 2017
I thought that Kinect would become a household staple.
Same. Really thought that XB1 was going to revolutionize the way we watch TV. We just bought an Apple Tv to do EXACTLY what I assumed the XB1 would be doing by now.

Maybe they jumped the gun. They could install a robust One Guide easily now, because you no longer need HDMI in to get most of what people watch. The cable subscription is just a license to use the various cable network apps to watch their shows. It really annoys me that they gave up on Input One so quickly. I would have two fewer boxes under my TV is they had completed their vision, which included a DVR. And they could seriously just add it any time. And what they would get is what Apple gets, a cut of subscriptions and a huge increase in TV and Movie sales and rentals.

So I assumed by this gen, the Xbox would be a multimedia beast.

dipship31

Oct 26, 2017
Thought HD DVD would win the battle because DVD was in the name and people wouldn't know WTF Blu Ray is

gnexus

Mar 30, 2018
That the Xbox One and Comcast/Xfinity X1 platform would merge together and Comcast would basically be using modified Xbox One's as DVR's, receivers, and game console combos.

Nov 27, 2017
California
I thought blue dragon on Xbox 360 would've been huge, like final fantasy huge
Dunno why I did

I also thought Wii U would be huge since kids could play games while their parents watch tv

Aug 10, 2019
I thought VR would have been more widely accepted than it currently is. Now I see it's going to take cheaper wireless technology and several killer apps to make that happen.

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
despite not posting such thoughts here (or, to be precise, back at the previous place), I genuinely thought the Vita was going to crush the 3DS. That Sony would've learnt from their mistakes and would seize the chance that Nintendo offered with the dismal 3DS launch (and underpowered specs).

Funny how that turned out.

Vita does, indeed, mean "life". Ironic.gif

steviestar3

One Winged Slayer
Jul 3, 2018
Doom 2016 would suck and suck hard. All the pre-release footage looked fucking awful (they showcased that they were following basically every bad trend from mainstream console FPS games) and I had zero faith in Id since they hadn't made a good game since like... Quake 3? The multiplayer beta was embarrassingly bad too. Then the game came out and it was actually pretty good, and its success eventually led to Eternal which is the best single player FPS I've ever played.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I had too much faith in Kojima to buy into those early MGSV rumours that said Big Boss wasn't really Big Boss because he had a ponytail and was smoking e-cigars. I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he had a good explanation for Quiet after the "ashamed of your words and deeds" Tweet.

Whoops.

Citywok

Nov 10, 2017
I thought Respawn were gonna kill COD. Thought they were gonna do a modern shooter and stick it to Activision.

AIan

Oct 20, 2019
That Final Fantasy XV was going to be incredible, life-changing and revolutionary for the gaming industry. I was involved in many communities before its release (think communities started by Versus XIII) and thought that the game would be just as cool as Versus XIII.

Boy was I wrong.

I thought Death Stranding was going to have a better gameplay loop. Left feeling a bit empty.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
I thought Apex Legends would be a massive failure, it looked like a huge departure from Titan Fall and a cashgrab attempt at mixing Battle Royals with Overwatch's Hero Shooter approach

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
Thought the Switch would sell more than the Wii U, but still relatively little numbers (25-30M total).

Glad I was wrong.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
I once took the position that the Ouya would be more successful than Steam Machines.

I was wrong, but both of them ended up kinda dead, so I guess I was debating the Titanic vs the Hindenberg :P

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Recent one: that the 3080 will be widely available.

With all the marketing, tech tubers hype, next gen consoles coming, big navi coming, I was so sure the 3080 was being positioned to eat a chunk of that business.

Oh how WRONG I was!

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
I figured the Wii U would continue the success of the Wii at least to a lesser extent. Didn't expect it to be a colossal failure.

I thought there was no way Mass Effect 1 was ever coming to PS3

That's not really a fail. The situation behind ME1 was a bit complicated. If EA never bought Bioware it wouldn't have come to PS3, like every prior Xbox Bioware game didn't hit a Playstation console. Some kind of negotiation between EA and MS allowed it to eventually come to PS3.

I thought nobody would want to buy a wii

Maybe it was just my imagination running wild, but once E3 2006 hit, I thought the Wii was going to be a huge hit. I could just feel it. And, well, it was.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Spoilers for TLOU2
I thought that basically everyone knew Joel was going to be killed off, probably earlier rather than later. It was predicted since the reveal, and him not on the boxart with just raged Ellie makes it obvious. Never thought it would just break some people.

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
I figured the Wii U would continue the success of the Wii at least to a lesser extent. Didn't expect it to be a colossal failure.

you know, I was immediately conflicted. One the one hand, I thought Nintendo was primed to continue the market domination they had enjoyed with the Wii (even though it had slowed down the last couple of years) and that there was no way they could fall from grace that fast. On the other hand, the reveal I thought was messy as FUCK - they showcased the gamepad but not the console, the name was atrocious, "unprecedented partnership" (= ports from games that were already available on other consoles that were on their way out), the limitations of the gamepad that they didn't even bother to mention in the reveal but were said shortly after... all in all, the reveal eroded my confidence and made me doubtful. I was "ok, it's a misstep, but surely they will course correct, right?"

Then the power disparity between the WiiU and the other two consoles became too evident, the Gamepad barely justified its existence and third parties didn't even get on board... and it was obvious there'd be no course correction.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
I thought that when Sony bought Gaikai, it would lead to the end of consoles, that you could just buy Madden or whatever on a Roku and get the game without a console

turns out I was a decade too early and that it would be google to do it first, not Sony

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That's not really a fail. The situation behind ME1 was a bit complicated. If EA never bought Bioware it wouldn't have come to PS3, like every prior Xbox Bioware game didn't hit a Playstation console. Some kind of negotiation between EA and MS allowed it to eventually come to PS3.

Thanks you made me feel a little better!

Honestly I probably would've put the Wii-U down but I wanted to change it up a bit in this thread.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
I thought Wii U would be able to occupy a similar software catalog position as Switch does now: as a haven for non-AAA games, Japanese games, and old-ish classics.

Saray

Nov 26, 2018
That the order would sell amazingly well.
That Switch was going to flop hard.
That DA Inquisition was going to be much better that witcher 3.
That Open world games were a fad.

Some of those still hurt.

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY
I predicted that the Switch would be a total failure, because it's too big to be portable, and too weak to measure up to the other consoles, yet the price equals the PS4/XB1S/launch price of the 3G Vita.

I guess not too many people agreed with me.

I still think the standard model is too big, but I'm happy with the form factor of my Switch Lite.

Grimsey

Nov 1, 2017
Didn't think anyone would want to buy a Playstation 1. In my defense this was before SotN, Blood Omen, and FF7,8,Tactics.

Brandino

Avenger
Jan 9, 2018
Vr would be bigger than it is.

Steam machines would be amazing for couch gaming

The Steam control would be amazing. I bought one and went back to a normal controller or mouse/keyboard after a bit. Sold the thing on eBay, don't miss it.

Berserker976

Oct 27, 2017
I thought the Switch would be a flash in the pan at best.

To be honest, its unbridled success still kind of confuses me.

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
I thought Doom 2016 would suck based on everything we've seen up to release. I was so happy wrong.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
...that the Dreamcast would get Sega back on track as a console manufacturer and game publisher. The floodgate of piracy in its first year sent third parties FLEEING, just after Sega had done a bang-up job courting them with aggressive fees compared to Sony.