• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What was your first PlayStation console?

• PS1

Votes: 869 77.0%
  • PS2

Votes: 168 14.9%
  • PS3

Votes: 61 5.4%
  • PS4

Votes: 31 2.7%

• Total voters

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
PSX. Still by far the best games library on any Sony platform. Bought it because it had become such a strong JRPG platform

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
PS1 but I got it late in the generation as young me was too occupied with the N64 at the time.

tomd96

Jul 6, 2018
PS4 was my first, buying a Pro on release in 2016. I was a Nintendo, Sega and PC fan as a kid and the early PlayStation ads put me in a defensive mood! I also found the PlayStation controllers uncomfortable to hold until the Dualshock 4, which helped me to jump on the Xbox 360 when HD consoles came around. I've been catching up on some of what I missed though, buying a PS3 a couple of years after my PS4 and playing a few early classics including the Metal Gear Solid series earlier this year. These days I'm completely platform agnostic and it's fantastic!

Deleted member 13155

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The first playstation in 1996 or so. Wanted a Saturn, but it wasn't wise to do so as things didn't look that promising for this system. I decided to buy a Playstation and never regret it, a constant stream of great games for quite some years to come.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
PS1 for Christmas back in 1996, it was awesome - though I think I spent more time with the N64 by the time that gen was done.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
PS1 with Dragon Ball Final Bout and Crash Bandicoot 2. Without memory card lol

I also remember that I didn't know how to progress in CB after completing the first 5 levels or so (you had to stand on a platform in the middle of a room and press up) and I thought I had finished the game already so I kept repeating the same levels over and over. My 9yr old mind was completely blown when I discover that by mistake šŸ˜‚

HotSauceMaven

Oct 9, 2018
PlayStation. First games were Mortal Kombat Trilogy, Die Hard Trilogy, Crash Bandicoot, and a demo disc with assorted games. Shit changed my life.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Home console? (I had the PSP first)

PS3. I bought it after The Last Guardian reveal šŸ˜«.

I got a PS2 shortly after that and a PS1 shortly after that.

I played the PS1 a lot at my friend's house though. Usually Gran Turismo, but a lot of Resident Evil, Metal Gear Solid, and beat FFVII too.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
2014. Destiny PS4 bundle.

I had to sell it due to financial reasons and got a PS4 slim in 2017.

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
PS1 in late 1997 IIRC. Got it with Wipeout XL and (later?) Tekken 2. Blew my freaking mind. And then FF7... gah damn. Bought a playstation each gen since.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
PS1 maybe 2 years after release.

My twin best friends got one and I wasn't terribly interested until they started telling me about RE1. Then they lent it to me for about a week and I fucking fell in love with RE and Wild Arms. Parents got me one for my birthday when I was 11 or something. Suikoden, RE1, and Wild Arms.

PS1 is still my favorite PS. Had the best variety of games. Nowadays Sony feels more Westernized with too much of a focus on sports games, Destiny, COD, etc. Games like Alien Isolation and RE2 are the stuff I enjoy most from the PS4.

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
PS1 was my first console ever when I was 3 years old. My parents got it for me with a copy of Rugrats: Search for Reptar and I used to take it everywhere with me to play so many great games like Crash, Spyro, and even some niche game called Monkey Magic which I loved. Lots of good memories there

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
The original. First played it and Spyro as a small kid at one of my parents friends house.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Ps3....i needed to finally experience God of War because three was looking amazing.

AustinJ

Jul 18, 2018
I got the PS1 in a bundle from Costco with Gameday 98 and Twisted Metal. I should call my parents right now to thank them.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
PS2 and I bought it really late in the gen.
I was disgusted by PS1 and pretty much that entire gen in general. I really have no idea how someone can play a PS1 game on the original hardware.

Deleted member 9486

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
PS1. I'd been a Nintendo fanboy growing up, but was in high school when this came out. I still had an N64 a good while before getting a PS1, but once I played RE1 and especially FF7 at friends' places I new I had to have one. Saved up and bought it, traded in some N64 games to get those games and never looked back. I still love Nintendo stuff, but it's very much a secondary platform and I've been more into story-driven games, less cartoony art styles etc. after playing things like RE, MGS etc.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
My family was always behind. Didn't have a lot of money. So I had an N64 and then jumped to PS2 way later. I am really bummed about that since I missed so many PS1 JRPGs at the time. Only ended up playing a few on PS2. Along with Crash and Spyro.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
It's gonna be ps1 by a hug margin considering the fact most people here are over 30.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
PS1. I still remember renting the machine and being completely blown away. After that I quickly went to the Sony store and bought it.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
PS2. My sister and I had an N64 the previous gen, and while I had a ton of fun with it, I was extremely jealous of my friends with PS1s.

I did double back and check out a lot of the PS1 catalogue, though; beside SSX, the first games I played on PS2 were Chrono Cross and Mega Man Legends.

Voke

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
PSX when I was lil kid. Don't even know if I was alive when they got it lol

Castia

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PlayStation 1...chipped.

14 year old me getting about 5 games per week all for about Ā£3 each!

Those were the days.

Akselziys

Aksys Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
PS1 :D

My first game was Beyond The Beyond, expecting it to be similar to Shining Force due to its aesthetic, but realizing it was its own thing :) haha

andresmoros

Oct 29, 2017
Houston
The OG, in July of 97. My dad bought for me from the son of a family friend. It came with Rage Racer and Coolboarders. My dad and I played the shit out of Rage Racer. Good times, he never played videogames with me again, which was sad.

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
Got a PS1 for Christmas in 1998 with Crash 2 and NASCAR 98. I still boot up my PlayStation Underground Vol. 5 demo disk every once in a while.