• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What was your first PlayStation console?

• PS1

Votes: 869 77.0%
  • PS2

Votes: 168 14.9%
  • PS3

Votes: 61 5.4%
  • PS4

Votes: 31 2.7%

• Total voters

Kirksplosion

Aug 21, 2018
I was a Nintendo kid growing up all the way back to the NES so I skipped the PS1. The Playstation 2 was my first Sony console, and I only got it about a year before the Playstation 3 released in 2005. I know the year because my story is that I walked into a GameStop, played a demo of Guitar Hero, and walked out of the store with the game+guitar bundle in hand. Didn't care what I would have to buy, but I had to keep playing this kick ass guitar game. I bought the Playstation 2 later that week.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
PS2 in 2005. Traded my friend my original Xbox for the PS2 so I could play all the exclusives I never got to play, was super interested in JRPGs and Japanese Bemani games at the time and PS2 was where you went for that sort of thing.

Still my favorite PlayStation system

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
PlayStation 2 back in 2003

First two games I bought were Final Fantasy IX and Final Fantasy X.

Since then I have gotten PSP (2005), PS3 (2011), and PS4 (2015)

SatoAilDarko

Oct 25, 2017
Ps2, but I bought it in 2010.

See also my Xbox 360 in September 2016 one month before (or was it after?) buying an Xbox One.

Oct 25, 2017
Got a PS1 at $99 dollars to play WWF Smackdown! with money from my very first job.

Skipped PS2 and PS3, then got a PS4 (and a Vita months before that).

dmr87

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Good ol' PS1.

SwqcJBR.jpg

R43JCaO.jpg

NxExU24.png

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PSX, played at my friend's house when he had at launch. My mom bought me my own for Christmas 98, I was 14 years old.

The launch PS2 was the first console I bought with my own money.

GobHoblin

Oct 27, 2017
Saturn releases had dried up and I wanted to taste the other side (particularly MGS). Got a ps1 with Tekken 3, Gran Turismo, and Metal Gear Solid. FF7 came soon after.

Great fun was had

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
PS1. went the first week or so without a memory card. RE2 was first game, would leave console on and hide in save room when i had to leave. died at the aligator in the sewer.

Xbox Live Mike

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
USA
I pre-ordered the original Playstation at ToysRus and got a cool demo disk. The original Playstation was great, it had a lot of new experiences that SNES and Genesis just couldn't pull off. Playing games that were arcade quality at home like Battle Arena Toshinden and Ridge Racer blew my mind.

fog

Oct 28, 2017
Newcastle, UK
PS1 with Tekken and Wipeout, which I thought was launch day, but probably wasn't. Either way an incredible machine after the Amiga 1500 I owned previously, which in itself was a fantastic machine.

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
PS1 the first Christmas after it released.

I think I have the most random first games ever, my parents got this bundle and am not sure why but I still loved the games at the time...

I got Agile Warrior F111-x and Primal Rage!

I bought Formula One myself with all the money I had and have never looked back! Haha

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
PS1 for my birthday October 1996. First game was Tekken 2, then Tomb Raider, followed by Wipeout 2097. Glorious times!

halfjoey

Nov 26, 2017
PS1. Tekken, Doom, and ESPN Extreme where my first games. They came in the large PSX cases.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Playstation 1 with Resident Evil. Didn't have a memory card until a week or two after getting it. Good memories.

OP
OP
Loudninja

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Yall living on the edge without a memory card lol hell think I did not have one as well just for a little bit.

Apr 3, 2018
PS1.

As a console, it wasn't even on my radar. I was raised strictly on Nintendo. But I spent the night at a friend's house in middle school and he was the first person I knew who had a non-Nintendo/Sega console. I remember the two of us taking turns playing Blasto, Hercules, and FFVII in his room as his mom and stepdad yelled at one another in the kitchen.

A few months later, on Halloween, a different friend had a few pals over to spend the night. He had recently gotten a PS1 and had a pirated copy of RE2. We stayed up all night trying to beat the game; it was the perfect environment, really. It was a stormy night so tree branches kept scratching at his bedroom window, and a booming grandfather clock was going off every hour.

Good times. My grandmother got me a PS1 that Christmas along with a copy of FFVII. It was great, except for the FMV where the Tiny Bronco crashed... disc would just stop spinning at that point and I couldn't continue no matter what I did until I bought myself a different copy.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
PS1, with Interactive Sampler Disc, Vol. 8 as my only game for about the first 6 months. I played that Metal Gear Solid demo so many times & never actually played the full game until about 3 weeks before the release of MGS4.

dmr87

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
PS1. went the first week or so without a memory card. RE2 was first game, would leave console on and hide in save room when i had to leave. died at the aligator in the sewer.

I played Resident Evil and Final Fantasy VII without a memory card in the beginning, but Resident Evil was too scary so only played with friends but we turned it off when the tension got too high. Remember friends borrowing memory cards back and forth.

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I got a memory card when I got Gran Turismo, well, after not turning my console off for two weeks after getting Gran Turismo....

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
I am one of the currently only 6 people on here that had never had a PlayStation console until getting a PS4. Was PC + handheld only before that.

OP
OP
Loudninja

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
lol I remember one time on Valentine Day my bro was playing Resident Evil and when he kill a few zombies somehow the blood form a heart

jak153

Oct 30, 2017
My first console was the PS2 I got as a birthday present in 2006. I originally wanted a gamecube but my dad changed my mind to get a ps2. I couldn't understand english at the time so it was really tough at first. I got it along with sly, jak, and some other games. Ever since I've stuck with them even though my original reason was just to play Dragon Ball Z games at the time

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
I was always a late adopter as a kid since my family didn't have a lot of money, but my first PS console was the PS1 which I think I got shortly before the PS2 launched. Was nuts catching up on years worth of some of the best JRPGs ever made.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
PS1 in very late 1997 with FFVII and RE: Directors Cut. Got RE2 and FFT in January 1998, so my intro to PlayStation was awesome!

Turbo Tu-Tone

Oct 27, 2017

Deleted member 59

PSX/PlayStation for Christmas 1998 (i was 12). Came with FF7 and Abes Exodus. Wanted it just for the former.

I remember having to go to my dads in the evening and i barely had played it all day so i bought the instruction manual with Mr to read/pass the time until i got back home to play.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
PS3.

I simply had to have Mario 64 so that meant choosing N64 over playstation. I didn't regret it at the time; I wasn't impressed with PS1's graphics and I remember being very underwhelmed with FF7.

By the time PS2 came along I was in undergrad so the idea of buying a console was out of the question. I had a PC that ran Subspace and Civilization and that was all I needed.

I got the PS3 because of Shane Bettenhausen's enthusiasm for Little Big Planet on 1UP Yours, which I very much regretted until Dark Souls came out. Phewf.

I skipped the PS4 in favour of PC gaming which I think was the right choice this gen.

We'll see how next gen goes!

thebigword

Oct 27, 2017
PS1. Going from 2D to 3D blew my mind. I also feel like we got a lot different and experimental games from the developers back then with the system.

GalvoAg

Oct 30, 2017
Dallas
PS2 for me, before that my parents would only pick up a Nintendo console. Had to work as a paper boy one summer to purchase it but it was so worth it to experience GTA3 and MGS2 that summer. Honestly that's what really got me into gaming.