• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What was your first PlayStation console?

• PS1

Votes: 869 77.0%
  • PS2

Votes: 168 14.9%
  • PS3

Votes: 61 5.4%
  • PS4

Votes: 31 2.7%

• Total voters

strife85

Oct 30, 2017
PS1 in 98, I could have gotten it sooner as a present from my father, but it didn't have many good games in 94ish. So I got nan SNES first. No regrets.

Sojiro

Jun 24, 2018
OG PS1 here as well. I didn't get it for the first half year since I was having to save up for it myself. My buddy had one, and we were blown away by Battle Arena Toshinden and Warhawk (which I think we only had a demo of). When I saw that FF7 was going to the system, that was what convinced me I needed to buy it. Don't recall what my first game was that I bought for it, but I have kept all my games, and still do some collecting for it (although everything I want now is pricey as shit). I have over 50 games for it, although my OG grey one died over a decade ago, and I use my PS2 to play them. PS1 is tied with SNES as my fave consoles of all time.

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
PS1.

Never owned a PS2 as my parents won't buy it for us. Next was PS3 that I bought late gen with my own money.

The PS1 was bought by my father. I remember my mother was very upset because she didn't want us to play video games and it was expensive lol.

It came with a couple of games. I only remembered Project Horned Owl and Point Blank.

Last edited:

logash

Oct 27, 2017
The original PlayStation. My mom brought it in inside a grocery bag. She had bought it off someone and it came with Final Fantasy 7. I would forever be a JRPG fan from that point on.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
PS2 in like 2002.

Didn't care for the PS1 since I was more of a N64 person. I actually asked for a Dreamcast, but since Sega was going out of the console business my parents got me the Playstation instead.

Navid

Oct 26, 2017
PS2...

Was focused mostly on the PC during the PS1 generation, played MGS at a friends house and ended up borrowing his PS1 and the game to play through the whole thing. That along with Half Life were the two games that actually cemented gaming as a hobby for me.

PARAdoja

Oct 27, 2017
PS1 Dual Shock edition with the Interactive Sampler Disc Vol.8

Man, even the Rugrats opening/trailer was watched there. I miss the demo discs so much

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
PS2, birthday 2001. I got SSX and an NFL game. Played both to death for months.

Deadpool_X

Oct 28, 2017
Indiana
PSX. I bought it because I played a demo for Metal Gear Solid on a friend's PSX and knew I NEEDED to own and play that game.

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
I'm trying to think back on which games I had for PlayStation back then. I have a vague memory of getting Wipeout for Christmas, and later getting Tekken. I didn't have many games back then. Oh man, I'll never forget getting Resident Evil and that first corridor you enter. Do you need to spoiler mark Resident Evil 1? Haha.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
PS1 bro. I was ten. Playing Final Fantasy VII and Metal Gear Solid on my bedroom CRT and taking it over to my friend's place to play Bloody Roar, Tekken, and Point Blank with the lightguns was peak gaming nirvana.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
PS1. It was on 2000's christmas, and came with Fifa 2000. Then i got Marvel vs Capcom a week after. Took me long enough to find the RPGs and get stuff like RE and MGS.

MrS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Resident Evil 2 demo disc with the 10 minute timer remains the GOAT demo disc.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
Does PSP Go count? If not, PS3 Slim. 2010 Boxing Day. My dad bought it for "himself" and proceeded to put it in my room and give it to me. He wanted me to not feel left out among the other kids who all started to move away from Nintendo. I loved Uncharted 2 so much.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
The Playstation. I got it the Christmas after my N64 but it immediately became my #1 system, until the Dreamcast came out.

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
A friend and I rented a PS1 and 3 games from Blockbuster. Jumping Flash, Battle Arena Toshinden and Tekken. We were blown away and I got one less than a month later. Staying up all night playing is such a memorable part of my teenage years.
original.jpg

Smutpeddler

Jan 11, 2018
I bought a PS3 in 2012 and sold it six months later. Never had any interest before and definitely not after.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
First PlayStation console I owned was the PS2. Bought it with Ratchet & Clank after I got fired from a terrible fast food job. Maxed out my credit cards $500 limit buying both and probably shouldn't have spent that money. I don't regret it.

First PlayStation I ever played was the PS1. My local Microplay imported a PS1 from Japan and rented it out. I think it was $40/3 days with Ridge Racer and Battle Arena Toshinden. My mind melted seeing those graphics after my name on the waiting list to rent it came up.

XDevil666

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PS1, there wasn't really any other option with the wealth of titles and gaming revolutions that appeared back then.

Plus the rampant piracy certainly helped purchase decisions

Instant Vintage

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
a3b26008c34527fcd1eb72ddd49a297ccf8996a3.jpg

The OG PSX. Received it Christmas of 1996 with 2 games: Tekken 2 and Destruction Derby. Got the above sticker in September of 1997 and it stayed on the lid of my PSX until it's (very) timely death on October 25th, 2000. The next day, I purchased my PS2 on it's launch date.

I miss that sticker. Just Googling the picture gave me a wave of nostalgia.

Wink784

Oct 27, 2017
PS1, with RF adapter, on a black and white TV with naught but the demo disc to play. And it was still amazing.

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
I don't know how can PS1 top the poll.

is the majority of ERA members that old?

if anyone tried this with Nintendo, it bet probably the Wii would win.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
The original PlayStation. But I didn't get it until I was 18, in 1997. I was poor when it released, so I only got to play it at friends or family's homes, or when my brother-in-law would rent one. When I got my first job at 18, I bought my own PlayStation with my very first paycheck. No regrets. XD

I remember staying up all night playing the original GTA, and then shortly after Silent Hill, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, and Final Fantasy VII released. I was in heaven. Some of my fondest gaming memories since the NES days.