• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jan 27, 2019
Fuck off
Ok, time for a trip down memory lane. What was the first mobile phone you owned?

For me it was the Nokia 6610i, I was very late in owning a mobile phone compared to a lot of people, I actually bought my first one around New Year 2004 when my girlfriend convinced me to finally buy one so we could be in touch when we were apart. Classic brick phone design, it even had a camera, but was very basic and the image quality was OK at best.

Sadly I didn't keep it for very long, because it got stolen at work, I was working at supermarket and the rules prohibited staff from having their phones on their person during work. Apparently someone heard it ringing in the staff room when I was on a shift and broke into my locker and stole it, I had only had it for about 5 months as well.

Nokia6610i.png

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
An earlier version of that Nokia you linked in the OP. I remember how excited I was to have a cheap beepy MIDI of the MacGyver theme song as my ringtone.

Edit: this bastard.

shutterstock_582763129-620x400.jpg

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Nokia 3300

a619bcb0a5c2cd9f8cc14224b351e0a1.jpg

Wanted an iPod but they were out of my price range so this was a middle-ground compromise. Worked pretty well for me throughout my college years.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
It was a Qualcomm...something or other. I'm an old fart, so this was back when they still had extendable antennas, lol.

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
I've been trying to find it on the internet for years and just cant. It was a silver chocolate bar shaped silver phone from Nokia. Quite chunky but awesome. Back in about 1998.

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
349.jpg

The push to talk was a ton of fun with friends, especially fun to prank them.

Cam

Oct 27, 2017
Nokia Startac, then went quiet for awhile, then jumped on the Helio Ocean, a super unknown phone

AlwaysSalty

The Fallen
Nov 12, 2017
Samsung N400, I got it at RadioShack(worked there at the time) and since I had a discount I would get a new phone like twice a year. Back in the day Samsung had some really cool flip phones. Kind of wish they made a comeback but I don't see that happening lol. My favorite was the M400. That thing was just perfect.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
My first one was a generic Nokia phone - something from the 3000 series, I believe. That was way back in 2001 so I don't actually remember which one.

My next phone was the T68i from Sony Ericsson - I even owned the optional camera attachment. After that, I owned Nokia N-Gage QD, but everyone knows what that phone looked like.

gsmarena_002.jpg

thebeeks

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Texas, USA
That reminds me of one phone I got later when I made my own money to spend. Did it come in black & chrome with a knight rider type notification light on the outside?

There was a black/silver model, but I don't remember a notification light. But to be fair I also never got notifications because my phone was a 'dad got my sister and I cheap phones on a family plan, please use this only if you're stranded on the side of the road' sorta thing.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
Nokia 3210.

Nokia_3210_with_display_content.jpg

This bad boy was with me through high schools and a few yrs in college before I jumped to colored-screen phone.

LordValhalla

Jan 9, 2018
An earlier version of that Nokia you linked in the OP. I remember how excited I was to have a cheap beepy MIDI of the MacGyver theme song as my ringtone.

Edit: this bastard.

shutterstock_582763129-620x400.jpg

I had the same first phone.

Found a ringtone website clicked "Crosstown Traffic" by Jimi Hendrix. Nothing happened. Until a week later when I got a random text message and some how that downloaded the song? It was super sketch.
And the song sucked. Sounded nothing like Crosstown Traffic.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
An Ericsson GA-628, back in the late '90s -

IMG_4412.jpg

Was an alright phone, lasted me a few years. Friends kept mocking it, though, because it was a bit bulky.

Last edited:

cinch

Chicken Chaser
Feb 17, 2019
I had this monstrosity in the mid 90s, and i was the only one in my group of friends to have a cell phone they thought it was cool
oyGBESM.jpg

ronpontelle

Oct 27, 2017
A Sony J6 PAYG. You could record a few seconds of audio through the microphone and use it as an alert/ringtone.

I dropped it in the toilet when drunk, it lasted a couple more weeks and then I got a Samsung clamshell with a colour screen on a contract and I've been with O2 ever since because their customer service was so good and when I tell them I've been with them since 2003 they jump through hoops!

Sony-CMD-J6-1.jpg

Rutti

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Me and my brothers got one Nokia 5110 to share between us and the first phone that was solely mine was Nokia 3510i