• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Jan 27, 2019
Fuck off
Been thinking back on this, I remember playing DOOM in high school over LAN after a few kids figured out a way to install it on the schools computers and use the school's intranet for LAN parties which was cool, but a few of them who installed it got in big trouble for it.

But for my first true online gaming experience it was Gears of War on the Xbox 360. I used to get the hammerburst every time, I loved that weapon and I preferred it massively to the Lancer.

I owned the original Xbox, but never used it online or created an account for the original Xbox Live because we only had dial up at home when it came out.

What was your first online gaming experience, ERA?

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
lord.png

Oct 27, 2017
My favorite ones have to be
  • 2014 launch Destiny playing with my friends and wife for hours on end
  • 2008 Burnout Paradise playing with a friend and seeing how much we could upset the players who had the camera lol
  • 2010 Halo Reach, just got into IP and it was a blast
  • 2008 peak Mario Kart Wii online, flawed but probably played hundreds of hours on it

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
SOCOM and Twisted Metal Black Online, on the PS2.

Lots and lots of LAN games before that, though. Not sure which would be first. xtank and Spectre VR were early ones, right about 1991-1992.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
I think it was Battlefield 1942.

The first game I watched being played online was Diablo II.

NeverWas

Feb 28, 2019
I think Halflife/Counterstrike was my first online outing, back in 99/00. We did some LAN play at the office, and that convinced me to upgrade my home PC/network for online gaming.

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
Quake 3 but most memorable was dragging my CRT and my original Xbox into my mom's office to connect to their ethernet and play Halo 2 on Xbox Live at like 6 in the morning when no one was using it

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
A Multi-User Dungeon called AnimeMUD. It's a text-based online game and it was awesome.

Firestorm

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
I was on free AltaVista dialup which had a huge banner at the top of the screen while you were online. I played Worms Armageddon online with it in fullscreen and the banner kept flashing in and out as I was playing. That and Neopets I guess. We didn't get internet until 2000 or 2001 so must have been around then.

A year or two later I had cable internet and could try stuff like Ragnarok Online, Maple Story, GunBound, and Counter-Strike which were all huge at school. People were also pretty into StarCraft, Warcraft III, and Dota which I didn't get into as much.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
NFL2k1 and Quake 3 on Dreamcast.

I had the optional keyboard and my buddy and I would take turns typing and playing. People were pissed at how I could trash talk so fast while still playing. Lol.

Infernostew

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Ultima Online: Renaissance is the 1st to come to mind.

Edit: or maybe it was Command & Conquer Red Alert or Halo on XBConnect? I can't really remember...

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
Counter-Strike 1.5 before they moved to Steam (or was it at the same time).

Played for like 5 minutes died a bunch and loved it. Found it crazy I was playing against real people.

Castia

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Command and conquer on pc

I remember typing 'are you a real person' to my opponent

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
earliest I can remember was dial-up Duke Nukem 3D deathmatch with my friend.

Other than that, friggen' awesome Quake 2 with mods (instagib/rail-arena with grapple hooks) or Unreal Tournament with some Counte

I do remember playing Starcraft online with friends from school, but that was a little later than Quake 2 at least, from what I remember.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
Runescape and Knight Online with my cousin. We would call and talk on the phone line for houuuuurs and my aunt would get so annoyed lol.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
Local multiplayer would have been serial link DOOM. Actual remote multiplayer would have been IPX modem Duke Nukem 3D.

I'm old.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
StarCraft. I was terrible at actual Starcraft but I spent hours upon hours playing UMS maps. It was my first experience with any kind of online interaction. It changed me in ways I will never fully appreciate.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Age of Empires and Rainbow Six (both OG) at that Zone website. I was even in a handful of clans. I lied about having "cable" internet when I was really on 56k and the people in those clans were impressed enough to have me on board.

Kaji AF16

Nov 6, 2017
Argentina
LAN: Quake 1 and Duke Nukem 3D, 1996.

Online: Quake 3: Arena and Diablo II, early 2000.

That said, I would only became really invested in online gaming with Xbox Live, circa 2010.

Mr.fresh

Oct 31, 2017
Red Alert 2 thanks to my cousin, my first online console game that I really got into was Killzone 2 I loved the maps I loved the built in clan system at the time and I loved the little noise you heard every time you got a kill it was super satisfying.

Heysoos

Prophet of Truth
Nov 3, 2017
Technically Runescape. Halo 2 was really my first online multiplayer console game though.

ConfusedOwl

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Runescape in 2005. First day someone lured me into the wildy and killed me so they could steal my bronze helmet and short sword. I'll never forgive or forget that.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
diablo, jedi knight and starcraft

nothing really blew my mind though until I killed bosses with 40 people in world of warcraft, though