• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
The first console I ever played was my uncle's NES in my grandparents' basement. He's only about 9-10 years older than me. Jammed a lot on Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros. 2, Punch-Out, Tecmo Bowl, and Kung Fu.

The first console I ever owned was a Sega Game Gear, which I got in lieu of an NES, SNES, or Genesis so I wouldn't hog my parents' TV in the living room. Played a lot of Sonic Triple Trouble, Sonic Chaos, one of the Mickey Illusion games (Legend of Illusion, I think?), and the Lion King and Aladdin ports.

The first home console I ever owned was a launch day N64 + Super Mario 64, which we got after I moved to Texas and us kids got our own TV in the game room upstairs.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think my first exposure to video games was in the arcades. As for home games, it was likely either the VCS or the Apple II. The first game system I owned was a VIC-20 so that had a big impact on me, having my own versions of Donkey Kong, Omega Race, Astroblitz, Serpentine, Q*bert, Apple Panic, Dig Dug, Defender, etc..

I have had this tape compilation in my collection for decades. It still works, too, which is impressive for magnetic media that might be as old as 1981.
AP4diz.jpg

If we're not counting gaming computers and going strictly console, then the first I owned was an Intellivision. I have plenty of great memories of TRON Deadly Discs, Demon Attack, Lock 'n Chase, Snafu, Burgertime, Space Hawk, Night Stalker, Beauty and the Beast, Frogger, etc..

The Magnavox Odyssey. Please tell me
Im not be only old timer that had it
I owned one but not when it was current. I wish I could have been there in the early '70s but I was born in '75.

Really? I remember the Master System II, my cousin had one. It had Alex Kidd preloaded on it. Was it just named something differently in the USA?
This is what the North American SMS2 box looked like.
AP46b2.jpg

A friend of mine had it and I remember being unimpressed with it lacking the card slot, snail maze, the classic boot up screen, and rice ball Alex.

Last edited:

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
The first one I played was an SNES (which I still have - functioning just fine, if rather more yellow-looking), but it was at least in theory my dad's. The first system that was mine was an OG GameBoy with a copy of Link's Awakening.

I burned through a lot of AAs on that thing.

Oct 29, 2017
We had an NES, but I was too young to remember playing it.

The first console we had that I remember playing was the SNES; the first game was SF2 Turbo.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
This is what the North American SMS2 box looked like.
AP46b2.jpg

A friend of mine had it and I remember being unimpressed with it lacking the card slot, snail maze, the classic boot up screen, and rice ball Alex.

when my relative got his, he asked me to come over and bring some of my SMS games and i took a few of the card ones (My Hero, Spy vs Spy, Ghost House and Teddy Boy iirc) and boy was I surprised.

Tanooki

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Dad let me have his old Gameboy when I was really young. When I was about six, my mom bought me a Super Nintendo. It was really outdated at that point, but it was cheap and my mom could buy more games for less. First games I got were Mickey Mania and Super Mario World!

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Apparently my family owned an Atari 2600 but I don't remember it. The first console I definitely remember owning was an NES.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
Bug Hunt's a neat gun game that very few people have played. The XE gun is pretty nice, closer to Sega's Light Phaser than Nintendo's Zapper. I had a lot of fun with Crossbow, too.

Bug Hunt and missile command are the ones I remember most. This thread just prompted me to go on eBay. The problem would be getting the TV though.

Deleted member 5745

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NES, though technically that was for the whole family.

The first one that was actually MINE was a yellow Game Boy Color that came with Pokémon Yellow.

PSOreo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My first consoles were loaned to me by my neighbour. I was given both the NES and Sega Megadrive. The first home console I bought with my own money was the original PS2 but I was given a GameBoy Color before that.

ridaxan

Oct 29, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa
We had a knockoff Famicom (no official nintendo presence due to sanctions, it sucked) by the time all my friends had a Mega Drive.

First real job's paycheck I spent on PS2 and a 54cm CRT TV in 2003.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
First console: SNES
(I went through Commodore's whole rise and fall before that though...)

Library: Still awesome! Super Metroid has been my best game of all time front he release til 2017 when BOTW finally surpassed it.

First gaming computer: SVI Spectravideo 328
(This lined up with the Commodore 64 launch, never became even close as popular though)

Library: Not so great tbh, I have plenty nostalgia for it though. Armoured Assault was really fun as a 2-player game, played a ton of it with my older brother.

My heart still beats for Commodore, I still have an Amiga 1200 (with heavily modernized internals though) plugged in ready for action sitting on the middle of my computer desk.

Last edited:

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
So I have a few answers to this:
  • My older brother got an NES for his birthday two years after launch (winter '87).
  • At some point I got an OG GameBoy as a gift (no idea when. also got the GB Pocket as a gift).
  • My bro eventually got a SNES for his birthday (winter '91).
  • The first video game hardware I spent my money on was the Virtual Boy which I got for $25 brand new on clearance (summer '96; sold my VB last year to a father who was buying it for his young son who collects Nintendo systems).
  • The Nintendo 64 I got as a shared gift with my brother and sister (winter '96).
  • My bro would eventually buy a PS1 (summer '97) and a Dreamcast (9-9-99).
  • The PS2 (winter 2000), GameCube (at launch as early bday present) and Xbox (winter 2002) were all partial birthday gifts (I paid for half and my parents paid for the other half as birthday presents for me).
  • So then finally the GBA (at launch) and the Xbox 360 (at launch) were the first handheld and traditional home console I purchased with 100% my own money.
So I guess the short version is that my first exposure to gaming was via the NES. The first gaming system of any kind that was 100% mine was the OG GameBoy. The Virtual Boy was the first gaming hardware I purchased entirely with my own money. The PS2 was the first home console that was 100% mine. The GBA was the first handheld I purchased entirely with my own money. The Xbox 360 was the first home console I purchased entirely with my own money.

Last edited:

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
NES

My family got one in ~1988 or '89. Main games we had were... Super Mario Bros, Rad Racer 2, Bases Loaded, Double Dribble, Golf, Little Nemo Dreammaster, Adventure Island, Super Mario Bros 3, and... I'm sure there's one I'm forgetting.

"My" first console was the Sega Genesis, which I got for Christmas in ~93 probably, bundled with Sonic 2.

Meanwhile, my daughter was born into a house with ... Two Xbox's, a PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch, and every console under the sun.

Bud_Brigman

Nov 17, 2017
Truthfully? The Sears/Telegames version of Pong. Four WHOLE games to choose from!!

Atari VCS (2600) was the first console I played at a friend's house and we got.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
The NES, and I still adore it and play games from it's library.

ChrisJSY

Oct 29, 2017
Sega Master System or SNES I can't distinctly remember, I think the former by release date in the EU?

I firmly believe were it not for friends of my father who were pretty well off that bought it for christmas for me and my brother, I would not have got in to gaming for quite some time. It really changed my life, for better or worse!

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
Our family got an Atari 2600 around 1979. I was 4 and so began a lifelong hobby. The first one I bought with my own allowance was the NES in 1988.

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Atari 2600... Combat I believe was the first game I played. I dug it, but admittedly it was the NES and Super Mario Bros. that cemented my love for video games.

Zhadgon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
NES with Super Mario Bros 3 and Mega Man 3, such good days went with that console.

.n_n.