• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Nov 4, 2017
Oof, picking the best game from the best console in the best generation? Tough.

I'd have to go MGS2. Would throw in MGS3, KH, Guitar Hero 1&2, FFX are all up there too.

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
What a system!

So many games to choose from and love the variety in the thread.

Between the Ace Combats, Metal Gears, FFX, GT games, SSX, Persona 3 and 4....

Ahhhhh

Have to go with Gran Turismo 4.

The variety of the answers in this thread say everything.

Deleted member 9100

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Kingdom hearts. One of my favorite games (if not my favorite of all time). 3 was a letdown, but this game was so amazing.

Metal gear solid 2 and FFX are right behind it. Such a fantastic console.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Final Fantasy 11, still looking for a scratch to that itch. Best time in games ever. Still no Beastmaster replacement either, or Thief, Dancer, and Red Mage bossness.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
too many to pick just one.

MGS2/3
FFX
Silent Hill 2
Ico
Shadow of the Colossus
DQVIII
GTA 3/Vice City/San Andreas

This list could go on and on. I can't pick one. Sorry OP.

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
Could never choose. That console (and generation, but per the thread) created and refined so many genres it's wild.

MGS3 may be my tranquilizer-gun-to-the-head pick. Kojima started with systemic gameplay in 2 and I probably played more of just the MGS2 demo than many, many games of the day but 3 was a monster effort wrapped up in an amazing story, fun moment to moment gameplay, playing past mistakes and Easter eggs galore.
Could easily lost another dozen or so titles that had a huge impact on me though.

V0ltg

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1051593-0_1.jpg

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
I am thinking about Gran turismo 4, MGS2, Shadow of the Colossus and Ico.

But I think the game I would still want to play today is Jak & Daxter 1.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
I don't think I can pick one...but I can do top 5 (inpo):

God of War 2
Metal Gear Solid 2
Shadow of the Colossus
Okami
Burnout 3: Takedown

(MGS3 or FFX would be next...also, RE4 is one of my top 10 games of all-time, but I don't consider it a PS2 game if that makes sense)

Deleted member 4262

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm I always say it's a tie between FFX and FFXII, but honestly I might prefer XII at this point. It's aged much better.

Runners up:

- Shadow Hearts 1 & 2
- Persona 3 & 4
- Dragon Quest VIII
- Final Fantasy X-2
- .Hack quadrilogy (the first one)
- Star Ocean 3
- Rogue Galaxy
- Dark Chronicle
- Kingdom Hearts

Oct 28, 2017
The entire year of 2001 basically.

Onimusha
Gran turismo 3
Zone of the Enders
The bouncer
klonoa 2
MGS2
Devil May cry
GTA3
Silent Hill 2
FFX.

Cant believe that all came out in one year.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Metal Gear Solid 3
San Andreas/GTA3/Vice City
Shadow of The Colossus
Silent Hill 2
Final Fantasy XII
SMT: Nocturne
ICO
Suikoden III

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
PS2 was a juggernaut. I'm not sure how anyone could legitimately narrow its library down to only one game being worthy as the absolute best.

Right now I am thinking Final Fantasy X. It came out on 12/17/2001 in the US which made it perhaps the best video game (as in software) gift I ever got during the holiday season. Also, playing a new Final Fantasy at that time of year back then was just magical.

Tomorrow my favorite could be Katamari Damacy, SSX, GTA3, Tekken Tag Tournament, MGS2 (or 3), Dragon Quest VIII, Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria... there are just so many PS2 games that can be considered GOAT for the console.

Last edited:

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
The PS2 was loaded, but this isn't really a tough answer. 2nd best would be, but Grand Theft Auto III takes this for me easily.

Pez

Oct 28, 2017
My most played game was definitely GTA 3. That game just blew my 8th grade mind back in the day.

Hmm, hard question. Such a good system.

It's a toss up between gta 3, mgs 3, or SotC.

Man, this really makes me hope Sony does some kind of service like NSO, just with PS games.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
MAXIMO!

Ok it's not really Maximo, It's probably Devil May Cry but I was just randomly thinking about that game today and how it was so fun and doesn't get enough love

Fahdi

Jun 5, 2018
The most fond memories are in the PS2 era. You really can't pick a favorite. I think I have the whole AAA collection on PS2, including ICO.

offshore

Oct 27, 2017
UK
MGS2 or San Andreas. While SA was my most played at the time, it's aged pretty poorly IMO. Whereas MGS2 still holds up, and may be even more relevant today than it was then. Plus the amount of Easter Eggs in that game is unbelievable. lol.

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
It'll always be Grand Theft Auto III - the sense of freedom I felt and the way my imagination dreamt up so many possible ways to finish missions... I don't think I've felt that way since.

Close second would probably be Yakuza 2, because Nagoshi and RGG team created by favorite entry in the entire franchise. Special shout out to NBA Street Vol. 2 - no sports game has ever matched that level of fun and nostalgic cool.

GreenMonkey

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
I've got to go with Devil May Cry 1. It got me interested in a while new kinda genre.

Probably even over DQ8 and I'm a huge DQ fan. Besides that...

Runner ups include Maximo and Tekken Tag.

Maximo gets the award for best game stranded on PS2. Man I wish they'd do a remaster of some sort.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
My top ten -

1. Final Fantasy X
2. Shadow of the Colossus
3. We Love Katamari
4. Final Fantasy XII
5. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
6. Okami
7. Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
8. Gradius V
9. Devil May Cry 3: Dante's Awakening
10. Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner

There's another one or two dozen that easily slot into the bottom 5, but most of them I played in slightly more solid forms on Gamecube (RE4, Viewtiful Joe, Beyond Good and Evil) or XBOX (Burnout 3 and Revenge).