• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
Have to say MK11
Wish I could say DBFZ, but I'm completely incapable of playing it remotely well
(I'm hoping there is a next gen ultimate edition with all the DLC fighters so I can try again)

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
giphy-downsized.gif

I mean, I enjoyed Overwatch for a couple years. Do you consider it a fighting game?
lol, I responded to this thread mid-playing GG and didn't notice the fighting game part. That's on me as I'm just now looking back at this thread. To be relevant to this thread, DBZF. Only fighting game that clicked with me, found myself missing SF4 however pretty much the entire time. SF5 didn't do it for me.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Another thing not enough people give this gen credit for is good (or in some cases improving) online. Being able to play with other REAL people online is an inhrent advantage this gen a lot more than most other gens. And if it were a question of this gen vs last gen I'd say this gen definitely takes the cake.

Well I'll push back there because other gens had arcades.

OP
OP
Christmastree55
Sep 10, 2020
lol, I responded to this thread mid-playing GG and didn't notice the fighting game part. That's on me as I'm just now looking back at this thread. To be relevant to this thread, DBZF. Only fighting game that clicked with me, found myself missing SF4 however pretty much the entire time. SF5 didn't do it for me.
Yeah DBFZ is great. Wondering if I should pick up SF anniversary collection. I played IV on 3ds and thought it was pretty fun, thought a little less of SFV (due to art style and fan service).

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
Tekken 7 by a mile. We haven't since COVID, but whenever we would get a bunch of people over to my house to play fighting games it brought the hype like no other. Even casual players got up for Tekken.

Bioshocker

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
Dead or Alive 6. It almost felt like the good old days on the original Xbox, but the fact that I didn't keep playing it like I would have told me it wasn't like before. Or that I'm not.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Well I'll push back there because other gens had arcades.
Not the best comparison. Online you can always play with someone or friends no matter where they are. The utility of Arcades is incredibly circumstantial and far more limiting. I don't necessarily want to leave my house in order to not just be left with a CPU (sure as hell not in COVID times lol).

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
While there have been a ton of great fighting games this generation, only one kept me hooked for a really, really long time, and it was the first one to come to mind when I saw this thread: KILLER INSTINCT

I played it a week or two before launch at a Microsoft Store, and I was hooked. It made my decision to go with the Xbox One first easy. So glad I did. I entered the midnight launch tournament, but sadly I did not win, but I managed to get my console a few months later (didn't have the money for it at the time) and it was the first game I bought on it. Played it endlessly for months. Really hope we get another game in this next generation.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Tekken 7 but Guilty Gear Xrd might be right there if I could play it a little better.

Sabot

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 31, 2017
XRD Rev 2
GBVS

covers both my bases in terms of fighting game styles I like.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Woo...man thats a big list. This gen has had a lot of fighters. A LOOOOOOOOOOT.

Smash, KI, Power Rangers, DBFZ, GG, BBCross Tag, Samsho, Snk Heroines (lol), Fighting Ex Layer, SFV, MVCI, Tekken 7, DOA6, Soul Calibur, BB Central Fiction, MKX, MK11, Injustice 2, Million Arthur, Uniclr, Arcana Heart six stars, Pocket Rumble, KOF 14, and more and more and more...Just a ton there and all really good. I bought a console for KOF14. I lost a year on Dragonball fighter Z. Had great moments with a ton of stuff really.

It comes down to two titles. Killer Instinct and Power Rangers Battle for the Grid. Overall the amount of creative freedom, great online, and fun movesets combined with cool characters just both had me and still have me hooked. I think objectively the best is Killer Instinct. I can't say which I had the most fun with or spent the most time on. I love both, but KI had the most polish and was a bigger thing for me. I love you 3v3 with assists and sandbox freedom but KI is something you can't play anything similar to if you tried. So perfect.

Oct 25, 2017
Including all the various ports, this gen is the best gen for Fighting games by a mile imo.

Cross Tag, FighterZ, and UNIB are my top three. Swap Smash for UNIB if that counts. Granblue, Pokken, and MK11 get honorable mentions. And as whacky as it can be, ARMS is also up there.

A Capcom versus title is the only thing that felt missing this gen.
Capcom had a versus title and the gameplay and netcode was excellent
Another thing not enough people give this gen credit for is good (or in some cases improving) online. Being able to play with other REAL people online is an inhrent advantage this gen a lot more than most other gens. And if it were a question of this gen vs last gen I'd say this gen definitely takes the cake.
Because this gen has mostly not had good online. I guess it does take the cake compared to last gen because last gen was fucking bad....just like the gen before it was really fucking bad (so I guess last gen would've been good at the time). This gen is just regular bad, so yeah, I guess it wins.
And as mentioned, the game you left out is one of the few games with really good online/netcode.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
DBFZ

Only fighting game this gen I've bought all the season passes for. I'm shit at it, but it was my go-to podcast game for a long time.

Nov 1, 2017
Killer Instinct by far for me but Smash Ultimate is very much in second place due to the roster alone.

Killer instinct is objectively (yeah yeah I know it's all subjective) the best made fighting game of this generation across the board. Argue against me, I dare ya. It's simply the best. A model of what a fg can be

I'd go so far as to say it's the 2D best fighting game ever made. Yeah i said it.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Always have a good time with Tekken. Tekken 7 was a blast although it was a little weird its low resolution characters and way too long loading times. Hopefully a Tekken 8 is on its way.

But I spend the most time with Injustice 2, I loved that you could customize your own character with gear that looked different, collect armor sets for bonuses, the fantastic story mode and character models. The Multiverse was perfect for someone who doesn't really fight against other players.

It's not going to be a while but excited to see what they're gonna do with Injustice 3.

BlueBrand

Oct 28, 2017
UNICLR with KOFXIV as a close runner up.

So weird coming from last gen as most of my mates are Capcom loyalists, but something changed this gen, and we played lots of random fighting games new and old. UNICLR was my most played though, love it and can't wait for the next one.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Smash by a good margin, then SFV

Not the best generation for fighters in my eyes tbh, a step back from the previous

timerhyme

Apr 19, 2018
Smash Ultimate. I gave Tekken 7 a shot and really was enjoying it, but recently sold my ps4 so it was a short fling.

joffocakes

Nov 15, 2017
Street Fighter V for me. It's absolutely the game I played most this gen (runner up is the PS4 version of USFIV) and I still find it incredibly satisfying to play.

Guilty Gear Xrd Rev 2 as well, though I didn't stick with it too long due to the netcode rarely serving up playable matches.

Does Footsies count as this gen? Playing that versus is a pal recently is the most fun I've had in ages.

Bissniss

Nov 11, 2019
Killer Instinct

-amazing netcode
-incredible cast of characters and playstyles
-unique combo system
-great tutorial
-music from Mick Gorden

johan

Oct 29, 2017
Probably DBFZ, but I haven't had as much fun with fighting games this gen as last gen with SF4. I still wanna get into Tekken 7 but I still can't really wrap my head around the gameplay lmao. I fucking love watching Pro play though

I did not like SF5. I'm hoping SF6 is going to be good. Fast ass loading times are going to be a nice thing for fighting games!

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
1. Brawlhalla - It just has by far the best online play in a fighter, by a significant margin. And as someone who doesn't have arcades or locals available to him, that's pretty much the most important aspect of a fighting game right now.

2. Tekken 7 - Sold me on 3D fighters, which was a genre I just couldn't really understand before it. Plus it's just a good game in general, and it's surprisingly popular in Europe, which makes for a decent online playerbase. Plus, it showed me that keyboards are actually super good as a fighting game controller.

3. Granblue Fantasy Versus - My favourite 2D fighter, striking a great balance between accessibility and complexity (except for some glaring balance issues). Sadly let down by bad online, no cross-play, gamebreaking bugs that took to long to be fixed, and a terrible pricing scheme.

Last edited:

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I really dug Injustice 2. I bought it exclusively because I could play as Darkseid and Swamp Thing. I even bothered to learn notation for combos and frame data and everything.

darkseid-injustice2-super.gif

Nestunt

Oct 27, 2017
Porto, Portugal
Tekken 7, and it's not even close.

It is so fun to control, even for a layman, and the production value makes it a very stylish game without overstepping it.

Lewpy

Oct 28, 2017
Killer instinct is objectively (yeah yeah I know it's all subjective) the best made fighting game of this generation across the board. Argue against me, I dare ya. It's simply the best. A model of what a fg can be
Yeah I agree. I think if it was released as a Sony exclusive instead of an Xbox one it would have garnered more praise. I hope we get a sequel sometime during the incoming generation.

Hanbei

Nov 11, 2017
Tekken 7. I also enjoyed a bit of Dragon Ball FighterZ but dropped it after season 1.

Izunavis

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Blazblue Centralfiction is the most fun I've had this gen with fighting games. Netplay hasn't been bad on my end, Arcsys soundtrack, the most unique gameplay styles for each character, combos galore, great defensive options and incredible depth. Tekken 7 is the only game I could think of which came close to it this gen imo.

castaction

Oct 28, 2017
We had some great fighting game so far, i would say my favorite is killer instinct but i spend a lot of time and had so much fun with tekken 7, smash and dbz fighter z

OrionStarri

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
For me it has absolutely been Pokken Tournament DX, might be my favourite fighter of all time from a gameplay standpoint, from the feel of every character to its easy to learn controls but indepth battle systems. it is a fantastic fighter to just jump in and learn and enjoy even casually, but has plenty of deeper aspects if you want to go further. and every character plays completely differently its impressive. I've never had as much fun with a rushdown/corner pressure like Garchomp in this game who is a RIOT to play as as well, with his risky gameplan of punishing hard with critical hits (counter hits functionally with a more pokemon befitting name) and an equally fantastic pressure game with his moveset forcing opponents to be carried to the corner in the 2D phase of battle to corner enemies and keep them guessing, his combos just look so cool too.
Honourable Mentions goes to the absurd Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, as well as the unique 3D fighter ARMS as being standouts for me this gen.

Last edited:

Teepo671

Nov 1, 2017
Guam
Street Fighter 5 for me. My most played fighter this gen. After that I think it's a tossup between Tekken 7 or Dragon Ball Fighterz then MKX.

DevilPuncher

Aggressively Mediocre
Oct 25, 2017
Dragon Ball FighterZ by a country mile. I'd get back into it if they did a rerelease with all of the DLC together.