• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Sep 10, 2020
Was it a NetherRealm game? Was it the return of Killer Instinct? The next installment in legacy franchises like Street Fighter, Soulcalibur, or Tekken? Was it something other people didn't love, like MvCI or Jump Force? Was it more budget titles like Them's Fighting Herds or Skullgirls? Maybe something like Brawlout or Absolver?

As a somewhat casual fighting game fan, for me it was either DBFZ (despite not even being a fan of the franchise!) or one of the Mortal Kombats.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Probably Smash Ultimate, although Tekken 7 is close. I also had a lot of fun with DBFZ despite not being a DB fan. MKX is also up there

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
Killer instinct is objectively (yeah yeah I know it's all subjective) the best made fighting game of this generation across the board. Argue against me, I dare ya. It's simply the best. A model of what a fg can be

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
SoulCalibur VI I think. Had a ton of fun with both the single and multiplayer. Tekken 7 was great too, but had less singleplayer.

OP
OP
Christmastree55
Sep 10, 2020
Killer instinct is objectively (yeah yeah I know it's all subjective) the best made fighting game of this generation across the board. Argue against me, I dare ya. It's simply the best. A model of what a fg can be
I've only played a couple times on my friend's Xbox, yeah. Definitely my biggest FOMO for only ever having a PS4

Oct 25, 2017
SF V was the one I played the most by far. Overall not a great gen for fighting games, to me. The ones I was the most interested in are all dead (at least on PC), so I'm not very interested in buying them.

Whens Blazblue with crossplay and rollback?

Dale Copper

Apr 12, 2018
giphy-downsized-large.gif

QuerulousDisgustingIberianemeraldlizard-size_restricted.gif

It's Tekken 7.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
I've only played a couple times on my friend's Xbox, yeah. Definitely my biggest FOMO for only ever having a PS4
Play it on your pc because Microsoft supported the game. Play it on android over cloud because - again - ms supported the game. Play every character because again- Microsoft supported the game and all the characters are available on game pass. Oh- and don't worry about the player base, it's all crossplay. Because Microsoft supported the game

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Dead or Alive 5 Last Round is my by far favorite!

I actually got to do some designs for the game. :) One is even seen in this trailer.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Tekken 7 overall, but I did drop playing it after season 1 because I just couldn't stomach the load times and net play as a console player anymore.

I played Mortal Kombat 11 the most, because as a filthy casual, the more casual gameplay and excellent netcode didn't outright agitate me in the exercise of playing it. I'm good with steeper learner curves and more demanding mechanics, but if netplay isn't good, then once I'm kinda done dabbling in whatever single player there is on offer, if multiplayer experience is bad, I feel like the game is openly antagonizing me when I try to play it. There's not a strong local scene close enough for me to participate in to make up for bad netplay experiences.

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
Street Fighter V

The first time that I've actually put time into a fighter since MvC3. It was a little... "eh" at launch, but I believe that they rebounded well.

OP
OP
Christmastree55
Sep 10, 2020
Play it on your pc because Microsoft supported the game. Play it on android over cloud because - again - ms supported the game. Play every character because again- Microsoft supported the game and all the characters are available on game pass. Oh- and don't worry about the player base, it's all crossplay. Because Microsoft supported the game
Only have a Mac and iPhone, haha.

Shockingly... Power Rangers: Battle for the Grid.

Most fun I've had since MvC2.
Definitely a great game. Is the player base still active? Is there crossplay?

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
MK11.

I really really liked the gameplay of SC6 too but no one plays it near me and garbage netcode so 🤷‍♂️

Echizen

Oct 27, 2017
To watch: Dragon Ball FighterZ. To play: Granblue Versus.

The one I've played the most by far is Smash Ultimate, but the netcode and general online environment got so frustrating that I pretty much dropped it altogether. Granblue Versus is following a similar trend right now though, unfortunately.

I enjoyed watching Street Fighter V quite a bit as well, despite all the complaints.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
Smash Ultimate wins just due to the sheer selection of characters from across gaming.

All in all it's been a good fighting game gen though. Soulcalibur, Mortal Kombat, and Tekken were all fantastic. Injustice was pretty great. Street fighter was a mess at launch but they really turned it around. You had the return of Killer Instinct. Dragonball FighterZ entered the fray.

Marvel VS Capcom is the only one I can't think of that completely dropped the ball.

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
I've fallen out of love with them but had a good time with Mortal Kombat X until microtransactions got on the way.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
1. Tekken 7
2. Soul Calibur 6
3. Samurai Shodown
4. Guilty Gear Xrd Rev 2
5. Street Fighter V after numerous patches
6. BlazBlue Central Fiction
7. UNIST (haven't played UNICLR yet)
8. Killer Instinct
9. KoF14
10. Dragon Ball FighterZ
11. Smash Ultimate
12. Mortal Kombat 11
13. BBTag
14. Granblue
16. Marvel Infinite
17. Dead or Alive 6

Something like that.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Smash Ultimate. First Smash I took 1v1 properly seriously in. Spent maybe 400, 500 hours on it. Multiple characters in elite smash and really enjoyed my time with it.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Hard to say, each fighting game had their pros & cons...
  • SFV has okay netcode & is the one I play the most, but said netcode could be better & it's had a rocky road
  • Smash Ultimate has a ton of content, but it has shitty netcode & is basically a cautionary tale with regards to diversity (few women & people of color, namely zero primarily & inarguably black characters)
  • Tekken 7, Xrd, & DBFZ are fun as hell, but their netcode systems are god-awful
  • MvCI has great gameplay & netcode, but subpar everything else
KI is the only one that has it all, so I guess that.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Probably SFV just based on play time and skill level. Samurai Shodown deserves a callout though. It far exceeded my expectations. They really nailed it, the mechanics are so satisfying- simultaneously simple and deep. Shame about that netcode though.

Bleep

Nov 12, 2017
At different points over the last generation I would have said my favourite game is Tekken 7, Guilty Gear Xrd or Samurai Shodown, but right now I'm all the way in on King of Fighters XIV. I've spent time with pretty much every fighting game released on modern hardware and KoFXIV matches what I want in in a fighting game perfectly. Fast pace, fun execution, interesting neutral and a huge cast of characters to mess around with. It's just a shame people got turned away by the subpar visuals.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Killer Instinct was the best fighting game of the generation, but will go overlooked in mindshare because it was exclusive to the Xbox One (and later PC).

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Smash Ultimate and BlazBlue Central Fiction share a top spot for me. They are just amazing games through and through (though I wish BBCF had a bigger playerbase).

If I had to rank all of the ones I played I'd say:

1. Smash Ultimate/BBCF
2. BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle
3. Granblue Fantasy Versus
4. Street Fighter V
5. For Honor
6. Dragon Ball FighterZ
7. Tekken 7
8. Pokkén Tournament DX
9. Soulcalibur 6

AppleBlade

Nov 15, 2017
Connecticut
I didn't get into fighting games this gen for some reason. Smash is the one I played the most. My favorite fighting games are traditionally the Namco fighters (Tekken and Soulcalibur) and since the newest Tekken and Soulcalibur are both on Gamepass I plan to play those quite a bit with my family when I receive my new Xbox.