• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What was your favorite choice-driven Adventure game this gen?

• Detroit: Become Human

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • Life is Strange

Votes: 13 43.3%
  • Life is Strange: Before the Storm

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Until Dawn

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Tales from the Borderlands

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • The Wolf Among Us

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 13.3%

• Total voters

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I've long enjoyed story-driven, player-guided Adventure games. They always reminded me of the classic "Choose your own adventure" books I read as a child, and video games have always been a perfect medium for branching, interactive narrative pathways. I enjoyed these type of games ever since the original King's Quest and Dragon's Lair games in the 80s and as technology has advanced, I find this genre has grown to be even better than ever.

However, this generation - and carrying over from the last one - felt like the best it has ever been. I played so many great choice-driven games that left deep impressions on me as I carved out my own unique stories, puzzles, relationships, and endings.

From the masterful return of King's Quest:
header.jpg

To the dark, seedy world of Wolf Among Us:
header.jpg

To the delightful spooky and macabre Until Dawn:
until-dawn-Hayden-Ice-banner.png

To the personal and surprising Life is Strange:
life-is-strange-ep-2-banner.png

Even franchises I dislike, such as Borderlands, gave me a shockingly charming and hilarious Tales from the Borderlands:
563x304

And my very recent playthrough of Detroit: Become Human left a very powerful impression on me as well, one that I may go into further detail at a later point:
2bf7b9c0d908e1727977a05004e5f056a72c1740v2_00.jpg

I thought about making a poll, but the list kept growing. There's just too many recent games - many I haven't properly mentioned, from other Telltale games like The Walking Dead and Batman, to Broken Age to Man of Medan to Heaven's Vault to so many others.

With so many great options out there, which one(s) rose up to the top as your favorite? Which ones pushed the medium forward? And where do you think graphic adventure games like these will go with next generation on the immediate horizon?

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Life is Strange had the most ''wait 5 minutes to think about all the consequences my action will do'' in almost every chapters.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Wolf among us made me read the entire fables saga, so that one
next up probably life is strange season 1, shame I hated season 2
then until dawn

actually heavily debating between life is strange and until dawn for the 2 slot
borderlands was a masterpiece but the others were great original works

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I think this one goes to Until Dawn for me easily. I quite liked Life Is Strange and Wolf Among Us, thought Detroit was laughable garbage and didn't even get round to playing Tales From the Borderlands (although I hear it's great)

Until Dawn is just absolute premium great. So fun to play with a partner.

Arithmetician

Oct 9, 2019
Until Dawn was amazing and my favorite, but I haven't yet played any of the others except for QD's catalogue

Oct 25, 2017
The Wolf Among Us is this amazing story about policing power in a poor community and about the disposable way in which sex workers are treated. It's so good that I tried reading the comic books, but those are shit.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Virtue's Last Reward defines, then redefines 'choice-based'.

Play 999 first though, OP.

JamesQuall

Oct 27, 2017
This reminded me I still need to play the recent King's Quest.

Agree on Tales from the Borderlands. I have no attachment to the original games, but I enjoyed that one more than the other TellTale stuff and LiS.

Until Dawn was also excellent. I'm bummed the reaction to the first Dark Pictures made it seem a little underwhelming, but I've been meaning to give it a shot.

Still need to finish LiS 2. The first 2 chapters were quite strong.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Out of those I only played Life is Strange and Detroit. LiS was amazing, I still have to play Before the Storm and LiS 2, but I don't know if I'll have as much as fun with them as I did with the first season.
Virtue's Last Reward defines, then redefines 'choice-based'.

Play 999 first though, OP.
As much as I love the Zero Escape series, I don't think they're entirely choice-based games. Sure, you gotta choose options here and there so that the narrative opens up, but ultimately the objective is a path that you must follow in order to reach the one true conclusion, unlike the other games.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
This gen I would say Detroit, Until Dawn, Tales from the Boderlands and Life is Strange.
I enjoyed Erica, Man of Medan and Hidden Agenda too, but not as much.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
King's Quest '15 was magnificent in parts and a wonderful love letter to the series in general, but ultimately too uneven to take top honors.

Until Dawn was a great ride until it started explaining things, and then it's still pretty good, but lost the eerie edge that made it really work for me.

David Cage has the biggest budgets and the worst grasp on storytelling of anyone working in the genre.

So my vote goes to Tales from the Borderlands, which sticks the landing on its comedy and its drama from start to finish, and made it into the echelon of media that I'll be revisiting from time to time for the rest of my life.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
Tales from the Borderlands. Funny, dramatic and incredibly well written, and it has one of my favorite scenes of all time.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Wolf Among Us

It's not without its faults but I love the tone and style of the game so damn much. Playing a Sheriff who keeps a slumbering monster inside him is also kind of a perfect fit for this type of game

OP
OP
Garlador

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Okay, I think I can narrow down most of the responses to a manageable number. Adding a poll for this.
It seemed like Life is Strange and Until Dawn were the stand-out picks for most up to this point.

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
Life is Strange has bigger and better "huge impact" choices than anything on that list so it gets my vote.

Also it has blue-haired, shit talking lesbians so obviously it's one of my favorite games ever. <3