• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What was your favorite Capcom fighting game from the Ono Era?

• Street Fighter IV (Vanilla, Super, Arcade Edition, & Ultra)

Votes: 176 32.1%
  • Marvel vs. Capcom 3 (Vanilla & Ultimate)

Votes: 183 33.4%
  • Street Fighter X Tekken

Votes: 16 2.9%
  • Street Fighter V (Vanilla, Arcade Edition, & Champion Edition)

Votes: 89 16.2%
  • Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite

Votes: 7 1.3%
  • Tatsunoko vs. Capcom (Vanilla/JP & Ultimate All-Stars)

Votes: 77 14.1%

• Total voters
Oct 29, 2017
UK
SF4 mainly because it is the fighting game I put the most time into. I really was burnt by the fact UMvC3 just existed so I never played once after it hit.

Tatsunoko vs Capcom is a close 2nd.

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
SF4. It was a full revitalization of the arcade era for me and my friends.

SF5 was second, as close to the continuation of Third Strike I always wanted as you could possibly get.

RedEther

Jan 7, 2018
USF4 & UMVC3 ofc

Back when capcom made good fighting games. Maybe they'll get back to that one day

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Tie between TvC and UMvC3. For the purpose of the poll though, I'll go with Marvel.

I enjoyed the shit out of vanilla SFIV and SFV, though.

Doctrine Dark

Nov 13, 2017
Marvel 3 is probably my all-time fav fighting game. From the rivalries to the actual gameplay, nothing has topped it for me. I also love TVC, SFIV and V. Marvel is just special.

Oct 29, 2017
Street Fighter IV is the only one I loved unambiguously. The rest had too many problems for me to fully embrace, whether I enjoyed them overall or not.

This generation was the first flat-out bust for Capcom fighters since the 16-bit era.

ChrizzSTARR

Avenger
Jan 7, 2018
The least popular of opinions, but SFxT has so much potential. Everything about the game itself oozed with hype once the 2013 patch came out. The combos were amazing, the mixups/pressure/set ups we're crazy to watch, even the gems could make things more exciting. Watching the game at its highest level is a rare treat that I often go back to.

It was just bungled by (admittedly warranted) community outrage at the DLC practices and a boring meta game at launch.

If you love competitive fighting games, you owe it to yourself to watch the Grand Finals set at Final Round between Sethlolol Vs Infiltration.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Street Fighter IV is the only one I loved unambiguously. The rest had too many problems for me to fully embrace, whether I enjoyed them overall or not.

This generation was the first flat-out bust for Capcom fighters since the 16-bit era.
The Ono Era of Capcom fighting games actually covers two console generations.

The least popular of opinions, but SFxT has so much potential. Everything about the game itself oozed with hype once the 2013 patch came out. The combos were amazing, the mixups/pressure/set ups we're crazy to watch, even the gems could make things more exciting. Watching the game at its highest level is a rare treat that I often go back to.

It was just bungled by (admittedly warranted) community outrage at the DLC practices and a boring meta game at launch.

If you love competitive fighting games, you owe it to yourself to watch the Grand Finals set at Final Round between Sethlolol Vs Infiltration.

Oh yeah, Ver. 2013 was the best thing to ever happen to SFxT. A shame it came out far too late to save the game. That said, I wouldn't say no to a current/next-gen port with all DLC included as well as Bad Box Art Mega Man & Pac-Man being made available for everyone.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
I voted for SF4 because despite its issues I just had a great time with it and spent a lot of time on it, especially with latter editions.

Tatsunoko in second for me. I think it's a better game at its core, and it's especially noticeable once you emulate it.
MvC3 is legendary for good reasons, but I prefer 2v2 tag.

SFV and MvCI just bored me, even if they had some nice ideas. SFxTK was just not good despite some hints of fun.

All Ono era fighting games were badly balanced.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Street Fighter IV, for sure.

Must have put in thousands of hours across all the versions. Had the most hype matches to watch, too.

Izunavis

Oct 27, 2017
UK
The movement, the chaos, a great roster, even just labbing in UMVC3 was so satisfying. Everything except x-factor and only one balance update (Thanks Marvel!). Wishful thinking but if next gen could give SF a break and have Mahvel and DS/RS as their focus that would be my dream.

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
ezgif.com-reversep1jn8.gif

It's a tie for me between SFV and SFxT. Voted for SFxT due to knowing it won't get much love.
I loved how they translated the Tekken characters to 2D in SFxT. The general system mechanics were also really solid while never going over the top crazy like other crossover fighters and the overall gameplay was really fun especially after the 2013 patch with lots of interesting and viable characters.
I also really liked how the game did online co-op. I did this a lot with a PSN buddy of mine. That was very fun and I wish more tag fighters did this.
And the trailers for the game were also really fantastic.

A shame Capcom's monetization practices tanked the game from the get go. It could have been something really special.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
There's no way I can't choose Ultimate Mahvel 3. So many hype matches.

I loved the way their were so many legit team combinations in this one, and how some people had characters few others used, while they were just godlike with them.

Combofiend showing off his Spencer in this set versus Marn, plus Noel and Ultra David's call makes this one of my favorite sets:

Just an amazing finish.

"EXCUSE ME?! BIONIC AAAAAAAAAAARRRMMMM!!"

TheShampion

Oct 27, 2017
I love fighting games, but I enjoyed them very casually over the years, and Tatsunoko vs. Capcom is the only one out of the bunch that brought back that old school Versus magic for me. It was accessible and fun to boot. The rest felt like they lacked the soul of the 2D games.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Street Fighter IV. Capcom got super greedy with overpriced DLC after the SFIV series and it impacted my enjoyment of the other games.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
UMvC3 and SFV are my favorite of the bunch, and MvCI is my least favorite.

Oct 25, 2017
Watching NLBC on Twitch during SF4 glory days was some of the best shit imaginable. Had a great local scene to play with and we loved that game. Good times.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
At launch SF4, after updates SF5. Not even launching with an arcade mode really turned me against SFV in the beginning but after a bunch of updates since I would never go back to IV again. I don't care for Vs games too much.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
SFxT post update definitely. Didn't rely on idiotic one frame links, plenty of creativity, tons of characters, lots of fun. And on PC it even supports 165hz.

Iori Loco

Nov 10, 2017
Tatsunoko is cool but Marvel vs Capcom 3 is my favorite fighting game by Capcom so, IT'S MAHVEL BAYBEE!

Jadow

Oct 27, 2017
Much as I despise the aesthetic, it has to be SFIV, my hype for this game was unreal, it felt like a complete package out of the gate and it cemented my love for SF. This trailer is vividly ingrained into my brain because it was my first time seeing my man Vega in action, plus Ryu's theme is hype as fuck

Doctrine Dark

Nov 13, 2017
Can't say I'm surprised that SFIV and MVC3 are ahead of every other game.

Even though I've enjoyed SFV, it's easy to see that the game is not revered in the same way as the previous iteration.

Really hope Capcom come out clicking on all cylinders for their next fighting game entries.

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017
SFIV, even if it visually looks a lot worse now. It was right time, right place, right everything. The updates were always amazing and anticipated with excitement, the casual and competitive scenes were great fun, it was and is a solid game to play. Great memories. Also, it has Fei Long and Guy in it and they've never been better.

I like SFV, I absolutely adore the animation efforts in the game, but it was handled so badly for a long time. Just avoid that + the DOA-like microtransaction traps and the game would've been a so much more appealing, compelling, complete, no nonsense product. Champion Edition is basically the best way they released this game, easily. In SFVI hope (but they won't) drop the Fight Money/in-game purchase things - they just get way too confusing, personally speaking. Not every game has to include these things, seriously.

SFxTekken was hype at first but they fumbled that hard. A modern port would be interesting, not gonna lie. It's one of a few fighting games I'd like to see a modern port of (Tekken Tag 2 and TvC being the others).

Overall the output has been amazing, with some mishandling here and there. I'm excited for the future, for sure.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
SFIV, mostly vanilla and super was the best IMO. I played it all the time at different friends and even co-workers places. That game along with Smash Bros Brawl and Halo 3 are among my fondest gaming memories from that era.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Street Fighter IV. Capcom got super greedy with overpriced DLC after the SFIV series and it impacted my enjoyment of the other games.
If anything, I'd argue they improved their DLC distribution by adopting season passes with SFV, at least regarding characters & balance patches. Any form of DLC that splits the player base is not a good idea. Not to mention that $6 is pretty much the norm for character DLC in most fighting games these days.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If anything, I'd argue they improved their DLC distribution by adopting season passes with SFV, at least regarding characters & balance patches. Any form of DLC that splits the player base is not a good idea. Not to mention that $6 is pretty much the norm for character DLC in most fighting games these days.
It's the norm now because they made it the norm. SSFIV had 10 new characters plus new stages and cost the same as a SFV season pass (less at many retailers). The costume DLC in SFV saw a whopping 500% increase in price, with 1 costume being the price of a costume pack in SFIV series.

Looking at non Capcom fighters and you also realise Capcom fighters are skeletons for content, but they all still charge extra for costumes etc while other games usually give you one alt for free even if others cost more. MvCI had a £25 character pass and a £25 costume DLC day 1. That a £100 game and it not even close to the content of other fighters.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
It's the norm now because they made it the norm. SSFIV had 10 new characters plus new stages and cost the same as a SFV season pass (less at many retailers). The costume DLC in SFV saw a whopping 500% increase in price, with 1 costume being the price of a costume pack in SFIV series.

Looking at non Capcom fighters and you also realise Capcom fighters are skeletons for content, but they all still charge extra for costumes etc while other games usually give you one alt for free even if others cost more. MvCI had a £25 character pass and a £25 costume DLC day 1. That a £100 game and it not even close to the content of other fighters.
Fair enough on the costumes, I'll give you that. But the Super expansion also required you to buy an entirely new game, which wasn't a good move back then & shouldn't be tolerated today. Even with AE & Ultra, they locked balance updates behind a paywall. Thankfully, even ASW got the memo & moved to doing season passes.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
To play: Street Fighter 5

To watch: Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3

To go "damn I should've played that" as I stare off longingly into the distance: TvC

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
I like SFV, I absolutely adore the animation efforts in the game, but it was handled so badly for a long time. Just avoid that + the DOA-like microtransaction traps and the game would've been a so much more appealing, compelling, complete, no nonsense product.
Not sure if I misunderstood, but SFV didn't have DOA-like microtransactions, and I'm not sure what's your definition for that.
DOA had tons of DLC costumes, but they were still cheaper than in SFV per-piece (price of 1 SFV costume= 2 DOA5/6 costumes = 4 SFIV costumes). DOA had the same business model as KI (and before it as well), just tons of costumes making it look worse than it was.

Dec 11, 2017
EKVxqd5U0AAa6S-

I'm a life long Street Fighter fan, so in June of 2008 when Capcom told me that they would be turning me into a character in Street Fighter IV, I was ecstatic.

The series meant so much to me at that point in my life, running parallel to my own martial arts training for the respective amount of years that the franchise existed for, always providing me with extra motivation to train.

For this game, I was invited to the Street Fighter IV launch party in February, 2009, met Yoshinori Ono, and had a blast. All of this set off a chain reaction of more fun to come.

(Fun Ryu pumpkin carving from Halloween, 2009)

So with a little backstory on why the game is personally quite unlike any other game out there for me, the title itself was also a dream come true, because it was nearly a decade since Street Fighter III: Third Strike hit arcades. This was one of my favorite franchises seeing a return and doing a good job of feeling 2D while being 3D.

Big roster, stylish charging counter-attacks, Supers, Ultras, and fun. I did miss individual character stages quite a bit, but that was the only thing missing in my book (though the stages it did have were nice).

Tatsunoko vs Capcom was great, I did enjoy both Marvel vs Capcom games in that era, I thought that Street Fighter x Tekken was neat, and do like Street Fighter V quite a bit...especially with all of its updates.

Nice reflection here. Great seeing so many SF fans.

Last edited:

Twonny

Dec 12, 2018
It's a tie between UMvC3 and TvC. Absolutely love those games despite being so trash at them.

Keits

Designer at Iron Galaxy Studios
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Orlando, FL
Afaik, Ono was not involved in TvC and MvC3 in any real way. The lead producer on those was Ryota Niitsuma.