• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
jb_usa_im_1.jpg

22141d6dc1787ed5c7ff4bc62c053ce1.gif

Jack Bros. on Virtual Boy. It's a really cool game actually.

Another who started with Jack Bros.! *fist bump*

And yeah, of all the games I was able to rent with a VB from Blockbuster, back in the day, Jack Bros and Mario Tennis stood out the most.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Persona 4: Golden.

Funnily enough, I've owned Nocturne, DDS, Devil Summoner: Raidou vs. the Soulless Army, and Persona 3: FES before then for more than a decade. I never got around to playing any of them. (I got them for cheap and had a bit of a collector problem.)

As of this week, I've almost beaten Nocturne—which I adore and is more in line with my interests compared to P4—and look forward to jumping into the rest.

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
The PS2 games, The first being Digital Devil Saga I think. Nocturne and Raidou after that, then the DS games. Didn't get into Persona until much later and started with P2 IS.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
10886842-item-big-PS2-SHINMELC-A-1.jpg

Lucifer's Call.

AKA Shin Megami Tensei 3/Nocturne

Next was Persona 4 (So P4 was my first Persona I completed, although I technically did buy Persona 1 on PSP and hated it initially).

DimitriLH

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Aguadilla, Puerto Rico
My first time was playing a SMT game was Persona 2 as a kid, but I was too lost and confused with it at the time, after that I tried Demi Kidz on GBA, was bothered that your demons could not level up and you were forced to sacrifice your favorites for fusions to get better ones and stand a chance at the game.

Then Persona 3 happened to me... <3

Selphie

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
I don't remember which game I played first, but I wanted some cheap jrpgs on my PS2 so I got DDS1&2, Lucifer's Call and Persona 4, they all were a tenner each new so it was a good buy! Loved the series ever since.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
My first SMT was Devil Survivor 1 on DS. After that it was either Persona 1 on PSP, Raidou 2 on PS2, or SMT 1 on Super Famicom. I really can't remember the order after DS 1, but I went on to play a bunch in a short span of time.

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
P3FES, if that counts. I think in Japan they didn't use SMT in the game's title.

For SMT proper, it was SMTIV, but that one couldn'tn hold my attention for very long. I really like the atmosphere in it, but I wasn't a fan how the demon negotiations worked, and I felt like the dungeon crawling would be so much better on a bigger screen and better camera. Might give the main series a second chance with SMTV or Nocturne remaster, though.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
While I'm pretty sure it shares the main artists and writers, I don't think Maken X counts as a spinoff(got stuck in Germany), so first one I beat was TMS#FE!
Which does share the spells and I'm sure that'll help me a bit when I dive into my first mainline game SMTIV in a few days

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Nocturne
Digital Devil Saga (played only a few hours of it before falling off the wagon)
Persona 3
Devil Summoner

That was the first batch I played and in that order. Loved Nocturne and Devil Summoner so much. I wish they had remastered those on PS4.

Mr. Nice_Guy

Oct 27, 2017
Digital Devil Saga back when it first came out. Rented it from a Mom and Pop store. Thought it was awesome but the acting a little stilted. Young me clearly mistook stilted for understated.

Although my first real exposure was the ad for
Persona 2 on the inside cover of my Ogre Battle Prima strategy guide. Thought the art looked so cool but I didn't own a PS1 so I never thought about trying it.

whiteninja

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Strange Journey and I didnt find it to be particularly fun. Super grindy and unfun to the point I just gave up and read the story on a wiki. Story was fun to read though I would like to give it another chance but I just cant stand that type of dungeon crawling gameplay (could never get into the EO games either)

I later played Persona 4 but I lost the save when hacking my vita and havnt really got the chance to try again (but I got the pc version now so maybe)

EOS-HDC

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Tijuana, B.C, Mexico
Awesome OP Devil Survivor 2 was my first one too! The difference being that it was also my first tactical game. A total nightmare for a newcomer, thankfully the mechanics and story gripped me hard, it was like no other game I had played before. Also I barely fused demons the first 20 hours of gameplay and had to replay the same bosses over and over and over again slightly changing my party, I had a very hard time at the beginning.

After that I tried with Devil Survivor but the demon compendium and fusions felt a little less refined and the story wasn't enough so I dropped it. The comes SMTIV, it solidified my loyalty to this series, after finishing I tracked all the PS2 SMT and Persona games but haven't played them. Finally I finished Persona 5 it was great, I enjoyed the day to day gameplay and the more personal story.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
SMT3, which I had been enamored with due to reviews in game magazines and from seeing the trailer on Cinematech on G4.

I might have seen a DDS trailer first, but it wasn't until later that I learned it was SMT.

First one I actually made significant progress in was FES.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
Persona 1 on PSP.

I didn't love that game - I got the bad ending and never went back. I also bounced off the 2nd game.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Technically the first Famicom game for Megami Tensei but without much Japanese knowledge, I didn't play far.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
Originally Persona 2 back in 2001, but didn't play seriously until Nocturne and gave up because I got my ass kicked. Officially got into and beat my first game with Persona 4 Golden, and bought the older games.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
This game, with this cover art

51fZ-Ua3IXL._AC_UL600_SR426,600_.jpg

Avec Dante de la serie 'Devil May Cry'

Looking at all the other posts which are the exact same as this I'm reckoning Dante is responsible for a lot of EU ppl getting into SMT

jarekx

Oct 25, 2017
Digital Devil Saga. Actually got in on gamefly back in the day and was blown away. Have played everything I could get my hands on since.

jay

Oct 25, 2017
I think I played Persona in 1998 or so. The only numbered games I've played are SMT 1 and 4.

Hecht

Blue light comes around
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Technically I played Persona 2:EP as a kid but it didn't really click with me. It wasn't until later, my girlfriend at the time suggested I play Digital Devil Saga and I've been hooked ever since.

Red_V2

Oct 25, 2017
Devil Survivor Overclocked. Loved it except the
the beldr bossfight. That shit was fucking cruel.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
SMTIV and boy did it suuuuuccckkk as my first experience. Never left Mikado.

Tried again with P5 and it went much much better as a vehicle to hook me into the series.

SimonSimon

Alt Account
Mar 26, 2020
Now that I think about it, my actual intro to the series was through XPlay. Specifically, a video review for Digital Devil Saga. What really stuck with me was that the review started with a clip from the game's intro. "Rend, slaughter, devour your enemies!"

That was on my mind when I went into Gamestop to look for something to play. I saw the words Shin Megami Tensei on a box, bought Persona 3, and here we are.