• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
In terms of my degree and money spent it was a total waste of time.

But it was the best 4 years of my life. Everyone on our floor became really good friends. We would just hang out, play Mario Kart Double Dash or Counter-Strike until 3 a.m, film ourselves doing stupid stuff. It was an absolute blast.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
A bit boring for the first 2 years until I got a lot more involved around campus. Met some of my closest friends during my undergrad. What I did during those last 2 years pushed me towards my Masters that I just graduated with on Friday.

ABK281

Apr 5, 2018
Not great, I couldn't afford to live in a dorm, nor did I have reliable transportation, and the university was relatively far away so all my classes were online. I only ever went to the college itself a couple of times for tests that had to be taken on campus.

Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Great memories and good friends. Changed my 'plan' partway through. Ended up getting a Physics batchelor's degree, but it hasn't been very useful. Went into debt for it. Could have definitely used the money and years more productively, and do not feel like I got a 'modern' physics education at all, it hasn't been very helpful in the real world.

But I wouldn't trade those years. I had a great time. And I have a decent job with plenty of room to grow even with the student debt. So no complaints overall.

Oct 25, 2017
First semester sucked. I was a shitty student and had no friends for most of it. Started connecting more toward the end of the semester. Those relationships got stringer the following semester. Grades shot up second year onward. And for the most part, I usually had friends to lean on in different capacities, some liked school events, nerd shit, exploring the city, or just hanging out at each others place doing nothing.

It definitely wasn't always great or busy, but looking back I feel good about that time even tho there's a lot I would do differently if I could go back.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
First year was terrible. Got my first D ever, didn't like the 2 friends I had there, felt lost. Got way better after that, met some new awesome friends that I got a townhouse with, partied a lot (FSU) but pulled my gpa up as well. Studied abroad in Valencia Junior year which was a wild experience. Wish I would have focused more on learning the language though. Graduated with a degree in Psych minor in Philosophy, I don't regret the subjects at all even though they are considered "useless" in the job market without grad school (which I completed recently). It was a great time to study and live how I wanted for the first time. Made some mistakes but learned along the way.

Was also in the best shape of my life, the FSU gym is crazy. Lotta steroids probably going around though, I looked like a runt compared to a lotta folk there.

Last edited:

Lace

Oct 27, 2017
I went to ASU and stayed in the business dorms my first year. It was an amazing experience and definitely lived up to what I imagined college would be like. Left college with a full time job and my career path set. However, I attribute that to staying focused throughout all the fun.

I had a couple friends who went to the engineer college and had quite the opposite experience.

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
It was fine, kind of uneventful, kind of wish I did more with it. Don't really miss it though, beyond missing not really having any responsibilities of consequence. Smoked a lot of weed, played a lot of DotA, slept a lot, spent half the time really depressed, figured out that I had a shitload of unacknowledged anxiety. I had a long-distance girlfriend from my hometown through the whole thing; she was two-hours away for a year, and then only an hour once she transferred to a different university. Don't regret it per se, but part of me wishes I let it go at some point; I think the weekends I spent traveling halfway across the state and back may have helped college feel more "formative" for me if I had spent them at my school, idk.

It was fine.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
Started just before I turned 30 and going in I knew that if I fucked it up I wouldn't get a second chance and would be stuck doing the shitty low-skilled entry-level jobs I did throughout my 20s. I felt like I was too old for all the stuff people group under "the college experience", so I just studied, got my CS and History degrees and got the best job of my life, so far, before I even graduated. Uncle Sam and scholarships paid for it all, so I had no debt and frankly, the only change I would have made is dropping my history degree and graduating sooner or at the very least getting a degree that complimented my CS degree better.

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
Graduated from high school in 2012
Didn't get into the college I wanted, so I wasted a year in a different one, bored to tears. Don't think I even bothered going to the finals? I completely forgot this period of my life.

Finally managed to go to my first choice, had a good time. Was able to study what I wanted, made a decent group of friends, studied a year in Tokyo (best year of my life), came back for my master's degree (which was surprisingly easy to get lol). Managed to get a great internship during my master's final year.

Never had to pull all nighters, mostly managed to avoid annoying courses... All cool.
I went from a shy, a bit nerdy teenager to a level-headed, positive and sociable person.

Last edited:

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
Was great.

Made a lot of friends who I'm still great friends with til this day. I partied quite a bit, while maintaining a damn good GPA. And I graduated from school, and transitioned into a career tract that I love. I'm not making bad money, and that's slated to improve. I also went into it 351 pounds, and came out of it 190 and buff (6'2"). So I can't complain?

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
First half was a waste with me being both physically and mentally broken. Second half was a lot better with a lot of great memories, although I did struggle quite a bit with depression still. I miss college looking back overall, terrible low points and all.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I had a really good college experience, as far as college experiences go. I landed a job working in the IT department of my college while I was there, so there was steady income. Not much, they hired me for pennies and I could only only put in about 20 hours a week but it was nice getting to leave some class then just go to work a building over. I still had to wait tables and work as a line chef at times at night but I was doing better than most at that age.

As far as classes, I'm not going to lie, computer science was grueling. To this day I still don't know how I survived it. And the way my college designed their curricula I had to take a bunch of other unrelated random courses. I didn't sleep much in those days. Maybe 4 hours a night, for two years.

People who did CS and went on to post grad, I stand and salute you. Four years was more than enough for me. I hope you're all millionaires, because god damn that shit was tough.

Nov 5, 2017
Graduated in four years with a bachelor's degree in communication arts. Couldn't find a job. Only job I did get was at Target. Went back to school to be a teacher. Three and a half years for a master's degree in childhood education. Subbed for a number of years before landing a job at my current employer. Been there four years now.

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
I initially thought it was shitty - I screwed up my applications, and didn't get into the schools I wanted to, but also didn't consider all the other schools I could have tried. I ended up going to a local university where I lived, and starting as a CS major. It was a struggle, and I failed out. I was resentful, and then went to another local university...I was pissed that I thought I wouldn't have the college experience, or go to some school people would be impressed by.

Then I remembered I'm young and in a major city, so literally impossible to not have an awesome college experience, lol. I partied tons, went out a lot, studied what I liked, worked and earned money while I was in school (so I wasn't broke, had my own place, etc), made lots of friends, and had zero debt. For that "traditional college experience", I simply traveled to hang out with my other friends in other places so I could drink elsewhere - and when I was home, I simply buckled down for school/work, and enjoyed being in the city with no restrictions because I had my own money. All in all, couldn't complain. Now I'm working on a masters and seeing where that can take me.

Last edited:

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
My first attempt at college was an absolute failure. I was already incredibly depressed and burnt out coming out of high school. Absolutely zero self esteem for anything besides my ability to do school work. So if I didn't perform perfectly, I completely broke down. I dropped out after only a month. Had a full ride and small stipend too.

My second attempt at college was going to art school. I wanted to get as far away from academic disciplines as possible. I somehow managed to pull together a good enough portfolio only one year of drawing seriously and got into an art school in NYC. Moving to NYC and going to that school is probably one of the best decisions I've ever made. I ended up transferring out after only one year, but the change in my mental and emotional health in that one year was worth it. Being able to actually go places on my own and be independent (not financially, but just having to take care of myself) was great after growing up in a household where I wasn't allowed to drive or go anywhere without my parents or sister taking me.

I was also able to actually make friends and get along with people. I don't know if it's because everyone's a fucking dork in art school or if I just felt more confident, but once I came out of my shell I had a very easy time meeting new people. I met two of the most important people in my life at the school, and another during the same time while I was there. The other thing that happened was that guys were suddenly interested in me, which had never been a thing before. I still have a lot of body image issues, but I can concede that my personality seems to make up for that. I didn't date actively since by the time most of these guys asked me out, I had already gotten into a relationship (which is still going strong eight years later!). Mentally, I learned how to cope with not being perfect at every given task, being okay with just learning for the sake of learning, and being okay with failure.

However, despite all the good, I quickly realized that there was no way I would be competitive in such a hard field as illustration. My best friends are at the top of their class, and even they haven't been able to break into the industry. So I transferred to one of the CUNY's to study my original major, Statistics. I'm still a bit of a perfectionist, but I was no longer paralyzed by fear of failure and could actually get through the work. My partner moved in with me at some point and I kept my friends from art school. I was still friendly, but I realized I didn't have the emotional capacity and time to have a larger group of friends. Only club I joined was a comic book club, but I didn't really get along with anyone in it. I almost completely focused on academics. It was a little difficult living with two people who had finished school and were working 9 - 5 because they had so much more free time than I did. Boring academic bragging: I won a prestigious fellowship that paid for my tuition and gave me a sizable stipend. I spent the summers at two world class universities. If I hadn't been a transfer student, I would have graduated as a Salutatorian.

So to recap, took three tries to finally finish, but I finished strong. Only one year was really spent focusing on socializing, and even then I didn't really party, just hung out with people and had fun. After that year I focused pretty intensively on academics because I'm a dork.

Oct 30, 2017
It was fun, and I miss it all. There were difficult times, but I loved what I learned from my major, and I've applied them through my side projects, internships and full-time job. I made a lot of great friends, all of whom are my closest friends now. Really, college was more of a social experience for me, and right now my social life isn't as great as it was back then—although most people are experiencing or have experienced this—but my friends and I try to emulate it as if we're still there.

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
Social-wise: best time of my life
Academic-wise: Ehhh...could have been better. I changed my major two years in so I sort of wasted two years. But I graduated on time so it didn't really affect me negatively. But it probably prevented me being able to take more relevant courses that weren't prerequisites.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
I spent the first 2.5 years sitting in front of my computer playing WoW full time.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
Amazing. I switched my major half way through so I wish I knew earlier what excited me.

First year was a lot of fun. Second year and going forward my now wife moved into my dorm room when we started dating.

It's rare that you will live in a space with people around your same age who all want to just hangout for most of the time. Hangout to party, hangout to kickback, hangout to study, and etc.

Though for the first 3 years of college, I forgot all about video games because I was either studying, socializing, or working out.

Rocketz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Was great. There were downs as any normal aspect of life but many more ups.

Made a lot of great friends. Went to a lot of events and football games. Joined a Fraternity and ran a few different parts of it. Lots of late nights and study sessions. Meet my future wife and mother to my son.

MechaMarmaset

Nov 20, 2017
First semester was great. Probably the only part of it that felt anything like what everyone tells you it's like. I had college friends, commuted, and worked a part time job in factory. And then I just stopped going and dropped out. Don't really know why. Just drifted off and said fuck it. Then I spent a month pretending to go, and then started working 17 hours a day because I didn't have anything else anymore.

About 8 months later I re-enrolled in the same program. Was never like the first semester. Everyone was out of that make new friends phase, so I really didn't form any new college friends after I went back. After that it was uneventful. Just went to school, work, bed every day for 5 years. Had a few boyfriends in there and met my current husband.

Honestly life after college was way more interesting/satisfying. I hate school.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
My first attempt at college was an absolute failure. I was already incredibly depressed and burnt out coming out of high school. Absolutely zero self esteem for anything besides my ability to do school work. So if I didn't perform perfectly, I completely broke down. I dropped out after only a month. Had a full ride and small stipend too.

My second attempt at college was going to art school. I wanted to get as far away from academic disciplines as possible. I somehow managed to pull together a good enough portfolio only one year of drawing seriously and got into an art school in NYC. Moving to NYC and going to that school is probably one of the best decisions I've ever made. I ended up transferring out after only one year, but the change in my mental and emotional health in that one year was worth it. Being able to actually go places on my own and be independent (not financially, but just having to take care of myself) was great after growing up in a household where I wasn't allowed to drive or go anywhere without my parents or sister taking me.

I was also able to actually make friends and get along with people. I don't know if it's because everyone's a fucking dork in art school or if I just felt more confident, but once I came out of my shell I had a very easy time meeting new people. I met two of the most important people in my life at the school, and another during the same time while I was there. The other thing that happened was that guys were suddenly interested in me, which had never been a thing before. I still have a lot of body image issues, but I can concede that my personality seems to make up for that. I didn't date actively since by the time most of these guys asked me out, I had already gotten into a relationship (which is still going strong eight years later!). Mentally, I learned how to cope with not being perfect at every given task, being okay with just learning for the sake of learning, and being okay with failure.

However, despite all the good, I quickly realized that there was no way I would be competitive in such a hard field as illustration. My best friends are at the top of their class, and even they haven't been able to break into the industry. So I transferred to one of the CUNY's to study my original major, Statistics. I'm still a bit of a perfectionist, but I was no longer paralyzed by fear of failure and could actually get through the work. My partner moved in with me at some point and I kept my friends from art school. I was still friendly, but I realized I didn't have the emotional capacity and time to have a larger group of friends. Only club I joined was a comic book club, but I didn't really get along with anyone in it. I almost completely focused on academics. It was a little difficult living with two people who had finished school and were working 9 - 5 because they had so much more free time than I did. Boring academic bragging: I won a prestigious fellowship that paid for my tuition and gave me a sizable stipend. I spent the summers at two world class universities. If I hadn't been a transfer student, I would have graduated as a Salutatorian.

So to recap, took three tries to finally finish, but I finished strong. Only one year was really spent focusing on socializing, and even then I didn't really party, just hung out with people and had fun. After that year I focused pretty intensively on academics because I'm a dork.

You sound like an awesome person. Best of luck to you.

Jul 26, 2018
Dropped out. Decided to come back a year later, dropped out again. This was back in 2018.

The only positive side is not dealing with student debt since I've only attended community college. It's sad to see many mid-late 20 year olds (my past and current coworkers) who still have to deal with that including my friend who has never found a job since graduation in last June.... F to my friend.

I was planning to come back AGAIN this year, but yea.... no... especially during this pandemic. I refuse to take online classes.

Log!

Oct 27, 2017
The first time I went to college, I made a ton of friends, but I didn't know what the fuck I was doing and ended up dropping out. Ended up being a complete waste of time because I haven't spoken to any of my friends from those days in years.

2nd time, I just worked and studied a ton, so I didn't make any new friends, but I did graduate recently and landed a job soon after, so it was definitely a much better use of my time. Even though I didn't really meet anybody, I still enjoyed going back to school.

Cbrun44

It was fine, but I missed out on a whole lot by my own choosing. I recommend to everyone still at University to take advantage of that time and make the most of it... in moderation of course.

I had a bit too much fun the first semester of my freshman year then I had a quick wake up call. Then I pretty much did nothing fun for the next three and a half years. Ultimately I did great after the fact, but I don't remember much of those years as it was spent either studying or doing nothing.

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
It was OK. My degree isn't worth what I'm in debt for. Though it seems to be gaining traction now 10 years later, finally. Unfortunately, COVID has kind of put a wrench in that indefinitely.

I had fun, but unfortunately with a lot of the wrong people. There's times I wonder if I would've felt like I had more normal college experience had I made some different choices.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
I didn't like the first 3 years ( we have this system in italy 3 years for first degree, 2 years for master degree) but i loved the last 2 years. Lot of teamwork based projects where i knew lot of people that i'm still in touch with. I learned a lot especially in how to deal with people that have a different point of view or different needs and skills.

Also lot of parties which are always fun.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
You sound like an awesome person. Best of luck to you.
Not too sure if this is sarcasm, but thank you! I hope my story can serve as some sort of example that we don't have to be defined by our previous failures and false starts.

SpitztheGreat

May 16, 2019
Undergrad was a complete wash, I have very few lasting memories from it and only two lasting friendships. I was lucky to actually use my degree though.

Grad school was amazing, developed some great friends, met my wife, found a community, felt pride in my work, and count those two years as the best years of my life.

Maturity is a hell of a thing.

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
partying, drugs, hitting rock bottom, finding myself and finishing strong.

Big learning experience for me.

Illuvatar

Jan 22, 2019
Trouble with my parents made me move out when I was 18, so when I started university at 19, I had my own small studio apartment, which was nice. As my parents didn't want to help me, I was lucky to have a government that gave me a monthly paycheck to get by, for as long as I was studying and I was doing my best at that. Every year I also received a grant from the government that was a lot more then the tuition it was supposed to pay.
This all made my college time pretty relax since - as long as I didn't spent like crazy- I could basically do what I wanted. I travelled a lot during those times, which broadened my horizons.

As I wanted to get into media production, I chose a degree that was close to that. I finished the Bachelor and almost finished the master, but life troubles got in the way of me ever finishing that final thesis.

In my first year at university, I also got into a relationship with the person who is now my wife, and after 6 months, we were basically living together. Since I basically had my own place in comparison to her, who had a small room in a dormitory.
I guess because of that I also missed out on some of the typical college stuff, like partying. But I'm happy with how things went.

Sometimes I would have friends that would envy my financial independity and the amount of freedom I had, since many just went home everyday to their parents. But I would have gladly switched places with them, because no amount of freedom could overcome the sense of loneliness that came over me in the weekend, when I everyone I knew, went back to their homes and parents and I would be alone in a city where no one I knew was left.

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Had a pretty great time. Long course, took a year out to work as well. Started as a lazy, coasting, layabout but after two academic years and my year in industry I changed my attitude and managed to forge some great grades through to the end.

I also made what are likely to be lifelong friends in my time there. I lived with fve other guys in my first year, adopted a guy who worked next door and picked up another one or two on the way. We all just really worked as a group. We ended up staying together all 5 years of our courses and still speak and meet regularly now four years later.

I also somehow had a relationship that lasted the entire time despite going to different Unis. She lived at home and commuted, and ended up spending most of her weekends up at my place with our group. They're as much her friends as mine.

When younger people ask me about whether or not I'd reccomend going to uni I'm always torn. For a lot of people, from an employability perspective, it isn't necessarily the best option for them - especially considering the student loans - but my experience was such a formatve part of my life that I'd never want to steer anyone away from it. Though as this thread highlights, YMMV.

Kisaya

Oct 25, 2017
I was a commuter student so it was basically in-and-out without much opportunity to socialize. Good thing was that it was pretty career oriented so I was able to get a lot of industry experience before graduating.

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
Non existent lol
I took a two-year 3D art & animation course at a toilet of a school, and near the end stopped coming since the whole place was in shambles and super disorganised.

RAWcolour

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Moved from a small town in eastern Europe to the UK to attend uni. Having no old friends or family to fall back to was honestly really great and forced me to get over my social anxiety. The fact that it was an art school helped as well. First time feeling I was around my crowd and "understood" which is a big deal in your early 20s.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
I realized after the first year of college that I had been an immature asshole in high school.

After college, I finally realized that I had just become a different sort of asshole in college.

Good times, though. It was a party school.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
4 years of non stop studying and homework

Didn't go to a single party or make any friends

High school was waaaaay better

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Chemical engineering, so basically all my time was spent on homework and projects. My final project was a 500-page chemical plant design spec document that we turned into Celanese for a plant they needed designed. It was the most difficult thing I've put myself through academically.

I socialized with close friends but didn't visit a bar until I was 22 and on my way out. I was too busy.

now as a PhD student I'm trying to be more social and care less about grades, but it's hard to balance and it's all ruined now because of covid anyway lol

The Kidd

Oct 27, 2017
Finished my last assignment last night, and will be officially graduated by the end the week.

Majored in Mathematics, because I was good at it in grade school, not realizing a more applied degree would be more useful. Got a minor in stats to go along with it, whatever good that'll do.

First 2 years was incredibly social, and I was traveling a lot. Last two I transferred from my community college and finished at the major University of my city. I'll be entirely honest and say I never made a single friend there, and only occasionally hung out with a small group of people I went to high school with.

Not the most memorable time of my life, but hey, it only gets worse from here.

Nude_Tayne

Jan 8, 2018
earth
A complete waste. I was a messed up and traumatized kid going into college, and I went 4 and a half years with literally zero social life, and my academic life suffered drastically as well (I barely graduated). I just put in the minimal effort needed to get a diploma, because that's what I was supposed to do. My life outside of the classroom consisted of sitting in my single occupancy dorm room playing games, browsing the internet and watching TV. I came out of my shell a bit towards the end, but it was too little too late. I tried therapy with one of the school's grad student "therapists" at the beginning of my third year at the behest of my parents but it was a joke.

Fun times.

Prinz Eugn

Oct 25, 2017
First semester was rough emotionally since I wasn't great at making new friends but did great grades-wise because it was a step down in terms of difficulty from AP classes in high school. Finally made some good friends and my second semester went much better socially, but I never quite got the hang of traditional dating. Ended up with my wife anyway though, so that was neat, and we're still together 10+ years later. Grades were always good/very good but I changed majors a few times so I ended up graduating a little late. Money wasn't an issue since I went to a state school with a good scholarship. Was one of the very few people to get hired out of my eventual major right away (Geography/GIS). Worked a couple years. Didn't like it that much. Went to grad school - that's a whole other story though.

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I went to a now nearly-defunct for-profit college right out of high school (nearly 10 years ago, wow!) Commuted to classes, which was about 20 miles round-trip. I'd say the experience was more like a community college. And I liked being around others studying similar things to me. I got in at just the right time though as they were discounting some tuition and we had some good talent and passionate people there.
Things started to fall apart about 5 years later, after I graduated. But I met some good people there that got good careers out of it (none of who I speak to now either) but I know they're doing well. Really beat the odds on that one with the abysmal graduation and job offer rates.

Last edited: