• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
Mine started out well, I was studying something I really liked , first semester went pretty well. Before second semester began, my parents told me that I had to change my major since it would be too expensive (my original major would have made leave to another university at some point so I would have to move). Long story short, after changing my major twice, I finally graduated with a degree I hated and wasted 6 years of my life.

2PiR

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
wasn't all the great but better than highschool.
It wasn't as happening as it is shown in movies and tvshows. I was in engineering so lot more nerdy, almost no party and little to no sex

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
i went in expecting party after party. Ended up hanging out with friends, drinking occasionally, and studying most of the time

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
The original major I studied (Pharmacy) went pretty bad.

I wasnt as interested and didnt do well.

After that I got into IT and it was pretty much smooth sailing afterwards - really enjoyed it.

Kinda miss it in a way - wasnt as stressful as High school or early college years.

My Early college years (Pharmacy) = Freshman and Sophomore high school years = stressful

My late college years (IT) = Junior and Senior high school years = fantastic

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
Started some friendships, got some professional experience, and had a bit of a political awakening, but was bored as fuck most of the time

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
Great. When I went to college I met so many people with the same interests as me.
I'm still friends with the guy who brought a Game Boy Advance to show off on the first day.

I don't miss those days, though I do think of them fondly.
You know those people who peak in school? You don't want to be the person who peaks in college either.

Couleurs

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
I started in my mid-20s, and by that point I was already living on my own so I lived off campus. I worked 40 hours a week to support myself while doing a full time class load, and had no social life during that time. Summers were fun though.

Also my job was perfect for college (managing data backups for an insurance company). I worked the night shift and had like one hour of actual work to do total, so the rest of the night I could just study and do homework. There's no way I would have done as well as I did GPA-wise if I had to study on my own time.

Last edited:

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
It was a religious college, so my experience was akin to a prison inmate.

5 years later I would eventually attend an actual University; while I enjoyed my time there, I could never truly enjoy interacting with the students, as I had a mental stigma that I was too old for them.

I know now that wasn't true, but I've already graduated--so one more regret to add to the pile.

Last edited:

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The most depressed of my life combined with the most social of my life. Very strange how that worked out.

I was sleeping through 4pm classes i was so depressed, horribly suicidal, but had more friends than at any other point in my life and had lots of fun. I enjoyed it overall.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I started out at a technical college due to be a shoddy high school record but ended up being an excellent student in college. I had many fine relationships with both professors and peers, although never anything particularly close as I usually kept to myself and I liked it that way. Transferred over to a university for my final two years and basically did the same thing, working on my projects and keeping to myself. It was all a good experience full of learning and personal growth and the only time it ever got bad was when I made it bad for myself with procrastination.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Amazing.

Classes were good. Was President of 3 of the largest organizations at UMichigan and sat on the national board for the largest student-run organization in the world (engineering society). Organized countless events, expanded the cultural experiences of thousands with unique activities. Joined a great fraternity. Made countless friends.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
I was completely unprepared for the experience as I did absolutely nothing in high school. Came out of my shell and the new freedom plus liquor… I'm not gonna say I was kicked out of two dorms freshman year… But I was kicked out of two dorms freshman year, that's just to start. Graduate and everything though lol. Who even was that person? I do wish I had went to more professors office hours though

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
It was pretty amazing, got involved in university sports as well as university politics so met hundreds of people through those. It felt nice being popular and getting recognised throughout the campus. At times I'd have to literally find a corner and hide in the library so as to not be disturbed. I never had something like that in school as despite being in the football team I was the quiet and least recognisable one and would get bullied by other players.

Basically starting university was like a fresh start/new life for me as I emigrated to another country for it, had to adapt and change myself to the new environment and live on my own for the first time all at once. It took time to get used to it but 9 years later I feel settled in and comfortable. I do miss the social aspect though, meeting new people every week was something that was great about it.

Oct 25, 2017
Three years in and its a lot of studying and very few parties.

I've made some great friends, and studied with them, but it's still a pretty stark difference from how American movies and TVs portrayed the college experience lol

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Went through horrible depression with suicidal and homicidal tendencies at my first school then had to quit football due to a knee injury.

My second school was just as bad, and I almost flunked out due to my mental illness. But once I finally found a decent therapist and got on the right medication, my grades improved. I didn't get along with any of my dorm mates, but I made lifelong friends in my anime club.

Grad school was pretty uneventful, and wasn't hard at all. And I never attended a single college party.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Everything went "normal" on the first 2 semesters. I made friends with most, if not all, of the guys in my class and we'd hang out often. But by the time I reached the 3rd semester onward, I realized that I started drifting apart from a lot of them. I was one of those "dude who hangs out with the girls" because apparently I was one of the brightest in the class. I'm not the only dude (there was another one), but you get the idea. I also had another small circle consists of gamers though. I ended up with the 3rd highest GPA in my class.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I didn't get much financial help so I had to work a lot when I wasn't studying. Plus the dead campus life didn't help much, it was a mostly isolated and miserable experience overall. My BS in Comp Sci wasn't a breeze, I had to work my ass off in classes some people considered easy.

It wasn't a giant party experience it kind of just felt like a full time job with the occasional party with a brutal winter punctuating most outdoor events.

I think I regret it more than I enjoyed it. Thankfully, it lead to me getting my dream job in CS and I make enough money that my student loans aren't a major concern.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
Not like it was on tv that's for sure

It was fun, but I held myself back with lots of social anxiety I think. To that end I feel like it's not going to be the highlight of my life.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
I miss it every day. Even the bad times, and the stress of nursing school. I had such a blast with my girlfriend and my fraternity. Best times of my life easily.

Alanood

Oct 27, 2017
It was tough, but I met my bestfriends there and still in touch with them, thankfully.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Long, muddled, but with bright spots. Not a terribly social thing. I really do love learning.

Things were really bad at first, as I had just come off of being exhausted from High School and I really wasn't in the right mindset to step up to what came next. Lots of retakes.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
Hated every second of it. Glad it is over.

Always had difficulty retaining the information and it caused lots of stress and anxiety.

At least I don't have any debt from it.

Castor Archer

Jan 8, 2019
Directionless and uneventful, made good grades just didn't know what field to go in, but that's what happens when high school fails to cultivate your interests and you're told "you have to go to college!" right after graduating.

SgtCobra

Oct 25, 2017
Parties, alcohol, social contact, sex, but also procatination and resits although I'm enjoying every single day. Hope I can return to it as soon as possible when this terrible situation has calmed down.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
I did a Computer Engineering BS. Every semester was extremely high stress, many sleepless nights, massive workload. I learned a *ton*, I enjoyed it for the camaraderie developed among my fellow classmates (those who didn't drop out), and it set me up for a lifetime of success and financial well-being... but I wouldn't want to do it all over again. As someone who had breezed through school with a perfect GPA, College was my first real experience feeling like I really had to work and struggle for it. I eventually went on to get a Master's in Computer Science and currently work on some pretty challenging stuff in an R&D environment--my BS remains the hardest thing I've ever done.

Last edited:

poutmeter

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
It was enough of a shithole to motivate me to finish a 4-year program in 3.

The first time I've seen a gun in my life was during an all-out shootout in the 2nd year, when one of the idiots barged into the room ranting and aiming it at our faces. Going back the next day with the place shot up was a surreal experience.

At least I made two very close friends whom I wouldn't trade for the world.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Amazing.

Classes were good. Was President of 3 of the largest organizations at UMichigan and sat on the national board for the largest student-run organization in the world (engineering society). Organized countless events, expanded the cultural experiences of thousands with unique activities. Joined a great fraternity. Made countless friends.

My son started Michigan this year. Obviously it got cut short so he was bummed.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Strove for excellence, graduated summa cum laude without too much misdirection. Lots of loans but paying them off.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
First time I attempted college: Very poorly, and lead to major depression for years, among other things.

Second time I attempted college: One of the best experiences I've ever had in my life with the schooling system. Graduated top of my class (3.9 GPA), and got a job right out of college making fairly good money. Became a better person in the process too.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
Stressful. Between community college and a university, I was in college from 2004-2013, and barely experienced my 20's. I was a commuter and had way too much going on to actually enjoy it, but it worked out in the end.

Worked part-time and took classes part-time during community college, so it took me four years to get my associates. Fortunately my job was only 10 minutes away from campus.

Had to wait until I was 24 to be approved for financial aid for my bachelor's, in which my father passed away at the time and I ended up spending the whole summer going through a lot of trouble to clear my transcript after being put on academic probation due to not attending since I forgot to drop the classes with everything going on at home.

Once that got cleared up, I finally started attending and was working part-time, going to class full-time (45-60 min commute), helping around the house, and taking my siblings to appointments while my mom worked. Ended up quitting my job so I could focus on classes and helping at home.

Got great grades, graduated, and was offered a job making decent money so I could move out. Totally worth it.

Reeks

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Studied my ass off. A lot of sleep deprivation. Met some good people... eventually. Did a lot of drugs. Was raped my senior year by a friend. Walked away with two science degrees and then quit drugs. It was horrible with some perks here and there.

Yoshimitsu126

The Fallen
Nov 11, 2017
United States
Just graduated last year and was able to get a job right after so that was nice. Made some friends i still talk to today but ironically the friend i talk to the most is when I went out of state for a few years. Was planning to meet up again with another friend I made from the same uni next February for NBA all-stars but then covid-19 happened : /

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
It was fine. I went in my mid 20s after I got out of the military. I pretty much treated it like a job. My goal was to knock out my degree as fast as I could and start a good job. It worked out.

Tapiozona

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Was a straight A perfect student in highschool who between school and swimming had 0 free time. My life was dedicated to those two things and I missed out on all the fun others were having.

In college I got my first taste of freedom and went off the deep end.
Lots of drugs, partying, some sex, lots of cheating in school, lots of not going to school. Took me about 8 years to graduate but I regret none of it. I loved college and I got most of it out of my system and turned into a pretty damn good adult.

Threadkular

Dec 29, 2017
I got a good degree and put a lot of effort (maybe too much) into my studies.

In the small amount of time I did not focus on my studies and socialized, I focused way too much on alcohol, including with surrounding myself with other drinkers. I feel like I missed a unique social opportunity to connect with people and don't really have much fondness for the partying I did.

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I actively fucked up and it took me way longer than it should have and I gained nothing from that time but the degree. Tldr: I had bpd and I feel down the hardest fucking hole. Semesters I would just stop going to class, fail out completely and do it all again. I've come a long fucking way since but damn I need a real job (lucky to be working during these times and I'm thankful)

eosos

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Kind of mediocre the first year and then amazing sophomore year through the end. Lots of partying, some studying, and great networking that landed me a job that opened the right doors. Don't really love my university in retrospect (a touch conservative), but think I made the best of it.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kinda wish I did more to set myself up professionally but eh its working out fine right now.

It definitely felt like a reset for me after a pretty boring and meh high school experience where I wasn't as social as I wanted to be.

Made a lot of good friends in college and we all keep in touch still. Just did a big ski trip earlier this year and there was like 14 of us or something. Met the girl I'm gonna marry there too, even if she went to a different school. Which was one of the coolest aspects of going to school in Boston.