• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What was your limit?

• KH1. Tapped out Day 1.

• CoM/358 Days/KH2. The organization 13. The Sora Clones

• BBS. Keyblade? No it's pronounced x-blade!

• DDD. Let's add time traveling to this already confusing story

• KH UX. Everybody can keyblade now.

• KH3. I see you made it this far. Ready for more time travel?

• You have severely underestimated my tolerance for bullshit

Results are only viewable after voting.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
love the story. it's earnest as heck and never ashamed of what it wants to be, and I'm here for that

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
I think people tend to overstate how confusing Kingdom Hearts' core narrative actually is just because perpetuating that stereotype is the path of least resistance for most, but having said that, Dream Drop Distance is when I thought things genuinely started getting a little silly. The story was pretty clear up to that point — far clearer than it's usually given credit for by bystanders, I think — but adding time travel to the proceedings really wasn't needed and made what was still a pretty digestible story up to that point unnecessarily obtuse.

I'm still super into it though, despite that silliness and KH III's total belly flop of an ending. All these years later, there's still nothing quite like KH and I love how shamelessly and earnestly anime it is. My friends are my power!

love the story. it's earnest as heck and never ashamed of what it wants to be, and I'm here for that

An Era user of taste, I see. :) Perfectly stated, couldn't agree more!

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly....ReMIND. I feel like I'm being jerked in the direction of the main game and now this
Yozora/Noctis-esque
stuff is jerking me into some other direction. I feel like there's this constant dangling carrot and I just want to take a bite without feeling like I'm gonna be hungry for the next few years.

I love KH but boy am I tired

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Sora's gigantic feet. 8 year old me deselected the shit out of KH at first glance. I don't want this dork-ass shit.

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
DDD is when I went "I understand the story has reached a point I cannot justify caring about" but realistically I still care about it, I just can't justify it.

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've played every single game in this franchise at, or near, release. I honestly can't believe there's more coming, because I thought that 3 should have been the end. I've yet to play the DLC, but I'm torn on whether to keep playing them or not. Might stop, especially if we get ten more years of spinoffs on every fucking platform, and are then expected to know all of it before we jump into 4 proper.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
KH3.
-"Redeeming" Xehanort after building him up for the past four games. I guess he just missed his friend, and that makes it ok that he ruined multiple people's lives. What's even worse is that he gets to go to KH heaven after his defeat. Fuck that bullshit.
-Bringing back characters like Xion. Ok, I get bringing back characters like Ventus and Aqua since they're not really dead. But come on at least let some characters stay dead. I guess the series is like DBZ where death doesn't mean anything.
-I had no idea what was going on in the final section of the game since I didn't play the mobile game and browser game....Don't make a mobile game mandatory to understand what's going on in the story. Who's the boy with scarf? Who's the grey tiger plus and why is he Ventus?
-Don't shove the Versus XIII stuff and notNoctis into KH. Just go make a Verum Rex game instead.

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
For me it was sort of a delayed reaction a few years after KH2.

Then I played the remasters on PS4 and I'm like "Better just to think of all of this as an acid trip".

Fun series. Don't give it more thought than it deserves.

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
I won't say breaking point, but ever since playing the original Kingdom Hearts my interest in the franchise has become something akin to morbid curiosity. The gameplay, the story and the overall package is so okayish... I always compare the KH series to a trainwreck. An incredibly fascinating trainwreck with some glimmers of hope.

People will hate me for it, but the original KH is a bad game. Sure I played the original for the first time through the HD Remaster, PS2 game, product of its time; but I truly believe that if I owned a PS2 back in the day, I would be incredibly disappointed with the game. The Disney love is amazing, the FF cameo's fun, but man did S-E not think the gameplay portion through when designing the Worlds. They fixed it with KH 2, but I still don't understand why it was so cramped and platforming was so bad.

It also did not help that the story felt like something from a Disney Playhouse show. With Donald and Goofy having the same vapid respons on situations l as in those series.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
KH3.
I was so hyped that I played through all the collections. A couple of months before release.

Then got the game and it was so boring.

Sora just came off as useless.
Everyone else knowing things and him being unaware.

Also when organisation 13 started being wherever he was and not once telling anyone, I just stopped caring.

The world's being dull didn't help at all. .

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Played KH1 and it was alright. PLayed the card game one for a few minutes and went 'nah'

KH2 opening was so aggresively boring in it's opening that I could not continue

Ultratech

Oct 25, 2017
I generally have a high tolerance for bullshit, but I don't think anything could've prepared me for the last hour or two of DDD.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
For me it was unchained key, when a shitty mobile game is required to understand the story that's when I'm out.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Popping in KH2 and wondering where the FUCK was Sora and all these people I spent time with in KH1. I genuinely don't think my interest in the series recovered from that. I still bought 3 and enjoyed it enough. But I think the apex of the series for me ended up being Chain of Memories. Nothing but fond memories of that game.

Oct 25, 2017
After finishing 2. Chain of memories was fun enough for a game boy game, and it had a decent story, especially rikus side of things. After that, 2 made a lot of character choices I didn't like and fell way more into absurdity, and the horrible dialogue/voice acting reeeeally started to take its toll.

Oct 28, 2017
I really really love the aesthetic of Kingdom Hearts. The Disney/anime mashup. The Utada tracks. The sentimentality.

But everything post KH2 (including most of KH2) lost me entirely on a story level and never got me back.

Back in high school, I used to blame myself for when I wasn't able to keep up with a convoluted story. These are PROFESSIONALS making this art. It must be MY ADHD brain's fault that I'm not getting it. But no...it's a great concept, with a genuinely poorly told narrative wrapped around an OK game. Shame.

Bonus Round: People being weirdos about the games online made it even easier to never look back.

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
"You have severely underestimated my tolerance for bullshit"

Considering Most of the other things I consume having even more bullshit plot (Bayformers anyone?) I don't bat an eye at the bullshit that KH does. The worst part was "I'm already half xehanort" and
Xigbar/Braig being Luxu
So I think there's a lot worse ground Nomura could go for.

Then again, the whole verum Rex /Versus 13 bullshit is rapidly approaching levels of Nonsense I never thought possible for nomura.

The story in Kingdom Hearts is complete nonsense but I can't deny that I enjoy it for how ridiculous it can get. It kind of adds to the fun to be honest.

Essentially This, It's just dumb fun.

André

Oct 25, 2017
Europe
To me I've always been able to follow the story along, and it was fun to theorize online about the parts that were left hanging in the air.

Except when they introduced time traveling. Those are the stupid parts of the plot, because they're not only, well, stupid, but also told horribly in the games. The introduction of this element hurts the story, removes any sort of consequence from the dramatic parts of the narrative, and I could not believe they were doing it again in KH3. Everything from that point on in KH3 was pure deus ex machina bullshit.

I hope time traveling dies with the Xehanort saga. The faux Versus XIII stuff is really piquing my interest, though.

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
I couldn't cusrimE the button layout in KH3 and it annoyed me, I kept triggering the wrong attack and stopped playing.

its got to be me, I don't recall having such a hard time with it on 1 or 2

Freeglader

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 13, 2017
I stuck with the series to see at least the end of the "Xehanort Saga." Unfortunately, I found the gameplay and music in III underwhelming. Since the story keeps getting worse too, I think I'm done with the series going forward.

BabyShams

Nov 7, 2017
I played KH1 and KH2 back on the PS2, I never got into the handheld games. Bought KH3 at launch played until the gummi ship... I can't do it, I can't play with this stunted voice acting, horrific script and trash game segments like gummi ship.

Me at 16 yeah he did it fine, me now... can't do it.

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
My breaking point was 358/2, specifically Xion. I... just can't deal with this. Reading people say they want to see more Xion or celebrating the return of this character in KH3 like she meant anything is very weird imo. But in fairness to her, you can say that about almost all the side characters.

The series has a lot of lows, but the above is what got me. But, I still follow the series. KH3 is amazing! The KH UX story is alright. However, I'll never be the fan I once was. 358 over fucking 2... ugh.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
They broke me at CoM/KHII to be honest. I just didn't find the story elements they were introducing to be very compelling. Roxas, the Organization, Nobodies... I just didn't care about them.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
After the first few hours of KH2. Didn't like having to go hours before getting back to the main characters. The Tron world kind of made up for it.

I'm actually playing KH3, and I'm sure that I'm just about near the end, but I have no idea what's going on anymore, and I no longer care. I'm beating it soley for the sake of finishing at this point. Outside of Big Hero 6 and Toy Story, the worlds felt flat and unimaginative. I just don't feel the need to play anymore KH games after this.

Oct 27, 2017
I think KH2 was where I had to step back and question how ridiculous the story was getting. Lost the Disney charm that the first game had

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The first one. I wanted to like it so much but the combat was boring as hell and the level design just wasn't very interesting. I never got too into the story to have it fall apart for me, which I suppose I'm thankful for at this point.

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
Kingdom Hearts 2 which was the first KH game I played. The main story was laughable but I really enjoyed seeing all of the different Disney/SE characters interact. From then on I've mainly ignored the main plot when experiencing anything KH related.

Geode

Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised that KH2 broke a lot of people. I mean the story wasn't that difficult to follow and I thought nobodies were cool concept, those who lost their hearts but with a strong will to keep existing. The game had a lot of worlds to visit, great battle system, and great fights. To me, KH2 was the apex of the series.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
Even as a little kid I called bullshit on Chain of Memories but I still powered through until UX. That's when I completely gave up on following everything, putting the story in some shitty gacha game? No sir, I refuse to acknowledge it.

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
The time travel stuff in DDD is the point that I felt the story was getting overtly convoluted. Not enough to make me not like the story though.

zeuanimals

Nov 23, 2017
God I honestly hate this series

I was able to stomach it in 1 and CoM.

But I just don't like anything about the series.

The concept itself is dumb, the characters are insufferable, pacing is the worst ever, tons of filler, writing is insufferable, the cutscenes are boring, and I think Shimomura's work on this series is her worst.

It feels like Nomura himself doesn't even care.

I wish SE used the resources on this series for something else

As much as I want to see Versus XIII come to fruition... I don't want it to be mixed in with Kingdom Hearts. Get Donald and Organization XIII and especially Sora's dumb ass the fuck outta here

It's so fucking sad that this is the game series that gets to use all of these Disney franchises, and then they do jack shit with them. I really wonder how and why Disney continues to let SE shit on their franchises like this.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
I couldn't finish 3. I've finished all the prior entries.

same.

I think my breaking point was seeing the x-blade in BBS and realizing that Nomura himself must believe that his writing is entirely ridiculous.

I still stayed engaged with the series but I didn't even bother playing KHDDD once the story synopsis released.

then I bought KH3 but never finished it because the world mission design structure is so outdated and it makes the game feel awful to sit through along with a bullshit plot

Turnabout Sisters

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I can't consider anything past KH2 to be legitimate entries in the series that had reached such highs. What a sad thing to see how it went. Of course I acknowledge the people who love the later games but the series died after that in my eyes. Even KH3 is a shadow of KH1 and 2 FM, mechanically speaking.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Yozora

The entire concept around it. And no thanks to the secret boss after my nth attempt.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe I should have tried the Final Mix version instead of borrowing a friend's PS2 copy, but I did not have a fun time with Kingdom Hearts 1. The controls were super clunky from Sora's movement to how you navigate your abilities in the submenu, I got lost somewhere between Tarzan and Alice in Wonderland wondering throughout both worlds aimlessly, and the freaking Gummi Ship... Need I say more?

Kurtikeya

One Winged Slayer
Dec 2, 2017
My breaking point was 358/2, specifically Xion. I... just can't deal with this. Reading people say they want to see more Xion or celebrating the return of this character in KH3 like she meant anything is very weird imo. But in fairness to her, you can say that about almost all the side characters.

This was my answer before I got sucked back in. In a vacuum, Xion is a prime example of how not to write a character. She's pointless, she's redundant, and Roxas alone could have sufficed in developing the whole Sortas thing.

But she's also a prime example of why I love the series. She shows how earnest and innocently indulgent the series is in a landscape where every other game is so deliberate and so pensive.

Anyway, I don't know who Strelitzia is and I don't know the real versions of Marluxia and Larxene are and these three seem important. Also something about Ventus being a Dandelion? These things keep me up at night but I'm still in it, baby.