• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jun 4, 2018
NieR: Automata. Second best game I've played, right behind MGS2. Won't ever play anything like it again, and that's okay. It was a special ride. Gonna play the original game as soon as I get my PS3 replaced.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Dark Souls 3

Finally got around to the final game in the series/franchise and man oh man I was not prepared for the journey it takes you on. I was never a huge fan of Dark Souls, but I loved Demons and Bloodborne, so when I finally sat down for this one it really got me. Loved the world, characters, and setting, especially that setting. Man it was great. Did two play throughs and just had to write about it on my blog. (check it in my profile if you want hehheh) but seriously it had been a long time since I was enamored by a game like that.

Probably Bloodborne was the last time.

Wetalo

Feb 9, 2018
I played through Wolfenstein The New Order this year and absolutely loved it. I'm now in the middle of playing through Batman Arkham Knight, finally getting around to it and super enjoying it.

So I guess those two get my vote. I don't know which one I like more though.

Dingens

Circumventing ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
since joy-con build quality is pretty shoddy, I went back to play some WiiU, and...

Project Zero/Fatal Frame 5 is definitly the best thing I've played this year, or at least the most memorable.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Uncharted 4 for sure. Stunning game, worth the wait.

100% delivers on the adventure aspect, as expected. What I wasn't prepared for was the astonishing realism of the characters, who didn't for one moment break my immersion. Their emotive nuance was so convincing that the couch scene is now one of my top 3 moments in any game.

I think my jaw actually dropped when Nathan and Elena started eating that pasta. Definitely the most salient next gen moment I've ever experienced.

Last edited:

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
Very biased answer, but Persona 5 (big SMT and Persona fan). Nier A also surprised me for the better.

padlock

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Two games: Shenzhen io, which I completely missed when it first released, and Divinity original sin 2, which really took me by surprise because the first Divinity original sin didn't grab me at all.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Total War Warhammer 2 probably. Every once in a while I just go on a big kick of it. Factiosn play so differently sometimes that it's fun learning the inns and outs.

Jon God

Oct 28, 2017
100% Night in the Woods.

I've played something like 1000+ games in my lifetime. This is one of the _very_ few that get a 10/10 from me. Such an amazing game.

H2intensity

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah Hollow Knight my LTTP GOTY.. Its really incredible and on par with classic like Super Metroid. Glad i can play it.

Oct 27, 2017
I'd have to give it either to Tales of Berseria or Dragon Quest VIII 3DS. The former was a solid adventure with compelling characters and such a fun battle system - it reignited my dying interest in Tales when it used to be my favorite. The latter had a wonderful sense of exploration throughout, and got me hooked on the DQ series. Berseria prolly edges it out though!

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
Absolutely Nier: Automata. I've never felt so blown away before.
Yeah that was my mistake haha. Looked at How Long to Beat and picked the shortest game to start working through on my backlog and it was Ni No Kuni 2.

BUT. After that was Nier Automata and boy oh boy what a game to follow up super wholesome Ni no Kuni 2 with. Geez what a ride. Everything else that came after just tasted vanilla afterwards.

Like, I knew of Yoko Taro but when I was playing other games try where they're like "this is where shit hits the fan", I end up thinking "shit didn't hit the fan as hard as it hit Nier Automata". Like, yeah, wouldn't want every game to be Nier Automata, geez that would be miserable. But damn, it if didn't deliver a tale.

Last edited:

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
The Bioshock series. More specifically the 1st game was full of memorable moments and it's earned a spot in my top 20 all time list.

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
I bought the Horizon Zero Dawn goty edition on a flash sale, and it was one of the greatest games I've ever played in my life.

ZZMitch

Oct 26, 2017
I have played nothing but backlog this year so this is the thread for me!

Witcher 3 blew me away for well over 100 hours, though I got the "bad" ending and it left me a bit sour on the whole thing after looking up the triggers. Still an amazing journey.

Although I just started MGSV (my first Kojima game) and holy shit. I had no idea what was happening in the first 2-3 hours or so, but now that I am in Afghanistan it's amazing. The stealth and level of detail in the systems hits all the right buttons. If I had more time with it, GOTY for sure

Last edited:

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
Alien Isolation was an intense and long ride dripping with atmosphere as seen in the first film.
The Xenomorph felt intimidating once more and the adventure was surprisingly thorough in regards to the mythos. Would have been my 2014 Goty in retrospect.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
The game that just keeps on giving that I've played more than God of War, Red Dead Redemption 2 and Forza Horizon 4 combined - No Man's Sky

OozeMan

Feb 21, 2018
So many great names in this thread. Warms my heart seeing people getting to experience so many classics for the first time ever.

Witcher 3. God damn that was an amazing game. Can't believe i waited this long to play it. One of the best open world games i've played. Massive respect to CDPR.
Aye. Witcher 3 (base game) for me as well. So many memorable moments in the game. It has shot up to be my most-played game on Steam. Over 150 hours and still can't get enough of it.

I will probably tackle Blood and Wine next year. Hearts of Stone was a pretty great expansion in its own right.

Future_TraX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Basel, Switzerland
Metal Gear Solid (PS1)

The game just blew me away. First time playing it - I played it on PS3 via the Metal Gear Solid Legacy collection.
Lmao no way. I came here to post this exact same thing. Played MGS1 for the first time this summer and was absolutely amazed by it.

I'd also say Undertale, which I was inspired to play after Deltarune happened.

Happy for you guys!
I wish i could play it for the first time again :)

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
I played a lot of really great backlog games this year. Last Day of June, Her Story, Doom 2016, Watch Dogs 2, Finding Paradise, and the Modern Warfare 2 campaign, to name a few. Hard to pick which was the best as these really were all fantastic.

Drain You

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
This is a really good topic because every year when I vote for a GOTY I HAVE to look at the list of games that came out this year. If I rely on my memory I would never be able to place when the games came out. The older I get the less I feel pushed to play a game on release. That being said I played a lot of good older games this year so I'll have to ponder on this one for a bit.

Bioshocker

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
Hard to say, most of the games I pick up were released a year or more ago. Maybe Metro 2033. I have yet to start playing Horizon Zero Dawn, though, so that may change.

Frag Waffles

Apr 7, 2018
1) Hollow Knight - not finished yet, but an easy #1 pick
2) Guacamelee super turbo championship edition - awesome combo/platforming metroidvania
3) Bioshock Infinite - fun with tight shooting mechanics, however not as good as original bioshock
4) Rayman legends - pleasant, charming platformer, just wished controls were a bit tighter
5) Nier automata - solid action and rpg mechanics, good overall but sadly didn't meet the lofty community hype
Extra) Black Ops 3 multiplayer gets a nod for the free PS+. Great multiplayer that put Blops 4 on my radar and in turn made me discover blackout which is the only multiplayer that rivals rocket league this gen for me.

I'm actually really hyped for next year's thread now lol.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
I haven't played an older game that I had never played before, but Dead Cells and Hollow Knight did release last year and they are both incredible. Hollow Knight would be my official pick.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Wolfenstein 2 for Switch. What a blast from start to finish. I missed those good old school story based fps games.

Browarr

Aug 20, 2018
France
I took the time to beat Deus Ex: Human Revolution. I've never played a Deus Ex game before and all I can is I found Human Revolution to be a fantastic game. Unique atmosphere, a different type of cyberpunk aesthetics (finally a world that doesn't look like the first Blade Runner), layered gameplay mechanics and a mature story.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
I took the time to beat Deus Ex: Human Revolution. I've never played a Deus Ex game before and all I can is I found Human Revolution to be a fantastic game. Unique atmosphere, a different type of cyberpunk aesthetics (finally a world that doesn't look like the first Blade Runner), layered gameplay mechanics and a mature story.
Don't sleep on Mankind Divided. The story is not as good, but the game is super great

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Easy... this bad boy here!

game-2016-04-17-Duke-Nukem-3D-logo-gamesnote.it_.jpg

Duke freaking Nukem 3D!!!
I had the Megaton Edition on Steam by years thanks to a bundle, but never played cause the mouse movement was just complete shit.

Then thanks to Douche McBaggins The 4th and his topic, I started looking into again, even if the mouse issues remain... then he talked about eduke32 and OH BOY!

This game is so damn good! Gameplay, level design, pacing... is so much fun and clever, I ended playing the whole game with secret levels and DLC too!
The only one I didn't finished is Nuclear Winter which, I have to say... is pretty cheap and crappy (but it isn't made by the original team).

Otherwise, is my retroGOTY of 2018... nope, it's my GOTY 2018 and that's it!!!

p.s. hey Douche, hope I made you proud, you "hooked" another person thanks to that topic :*

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
2018 was kind of an underwhelming year for me in terms of new releases. Plenty I wanted to play, but very little that I thought was worth the time I put into it. If I had to compile a top 10 of the best games I've played this year, I'm not sure if many would be 2018 games.

My actual GOTY would easily be Suikoden 2. It's buggy, sometimes incoherent, made several things worse over the original, but man, that game takes you on a journey. It's something that'll stick with me for a long time.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
I would say Hollow Knight, but actually, I played the Switch version that came out this year, so I'll be voting for it in the regular GOTY.

Instead, I'll say Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir (PS4). This is a beautiful game, and I don't mean because of the visuals (although they are beautiful too). I mean because of this story. What an epic tale of rebellion, sisterhood, war, apocalypse, and of course love. This game has some of the sweetest, most genuine love stories in gaming. And it's so great how the characters' stories intertwine in meaningful ways. The gameplay was a lot of fun, though it could get repetitive. But I didn't mind the repetitiveness because I was so captivated by the story. I just had to keep going to see what happened next.

El Mariachi

Oct 31, 2017
Austria
Easy: Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

Straight up on of the best games I've played in my life.

Close second: Black Mesa

Those two went straight into my really small 10/10 list.