• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
I haven't played it myself, but the shooting actually looks really good for a 3rd person shooter.

But 4 hours? Way way too short to be worth investing time into.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Painting it as though the length of the game was the only problem is disingenuous. Yes the length was something people complained about, but a lot of people are fine with short games, as long as what you do in that short time is fun/interesting. Unfortunately for The Order this was not the case. The gameplay and game design was pretty dated and unremarkable, and it seems a lot of people who played it feel this way.

Ze_Shoopuf

Jun 12, 2018
I loved it, but yeah it was short & linear.
It would be great to see the lore/world expanded, because what was there was intriguing.

spacer

Oct 30, 2017
It was too short. I personally thought it was great otherwise. Good characters, great graphics, ok gameplay that could have easily been improved with updates or a sequel. It's lore was amazing though. So much potential. If they had added a co-op horde mode as a DLC after launch I think the game would have garnered enough attention to get a sequel. It's one of the most underappreciated new IPs from last gen IMO. Shame.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
I think it was a decent proof of concept, but the combat was extremely dull.

Like, Ryse, I think it deserved a second shot to execute on its potential.

Radarscope1

Oct 29, 2017
It's funny to see people comment on it being just 5-6 hours long — because I couldn't finish even that. It was pretty boring to play IMO. I dropped it.

Vidpixel

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, the game had way more issues than simply the length. While the art direction was stellar, none of the characters were particularly interesting, the story was pretty forgettable for being advertised as the main selling point, the design of the levels felt dated due to the extreme linearity of it all, and the focus on an overly cinematic experience came at the expense of interesting gameplay (though the gunplay did feel solid).

This is coming from someone who Platinumed the game, as it doesn't take long at all.

Oh, and the werewolf fights were pretty awful.

MakotoYuki

Oct 28, 2017
It felt like the purpose of the game was creating a setting for a series. Visually it was amazing, setting and story were good, even though it ended on a point that was asking for a sequel, but as a game it felt lacking. Core gameplay was correct, the typical TPS with cover, but that's it, bosses were bad and didn't have anything else. Also, after you finished it there was nothing else to do.

It's a shame that we never got a sequel where they could make a better game on the same setting and continue the story.

noinspiration

Jun 22, 2020
The story felt like the writers were really convinced their concept was cool and didn't bother trying to convince anyone else. The gameplay felt like something you pushed through to get to the story. The graphics were pretty, but that's all that really stuck out to me as a selling point.

LookAtMeGo

Oct 25, 2017
a parallel universe
The rehashed QTE boss fights, insta fail stealth missions, by the book cover shooting mechanics and abrupt climactic ending with nothing coming together in the end took what could have been a fantastic game and made it just ok.

But by God its beautiful and the characters and voice acting were so good.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I think a lot of it was expectation and some of it was pacing that kind of stemmed from that.

I think a lot of people expected a gear of war clone set in Victorian era London. Just wall to wall action. And initially I thought it was that too. Even thought it would ultimately be a 4 player co-op shooter with a horde mode...but after reading reviews and seeing later footage it seemed more like a narrative based game (think telltale/heavy rain) with some third person cover shooting thrown in. And going in knowing that let me enjoy it more I think.

I thought the story was interesting. The visuals were and still are amazing. And the combat was super visceral and fun and I absolutely love the characters and setting..my biggest issues with it were mostly the ending. It feels incomplete. Like they lost funding or something. It feels like half a game. And ends in a way the implies there should have been more of it. Whether that was them being presumptuous about sequels or whether it was dlc I wouldn't have cared...but it just never came. Tbh I'm mostly disapointed that we never got more of it.

The order is Sony's Ryse. I enjoyed it more than Ryse. But both MS and Sony really should have given them both a second go since both games laid a really good foundation for an Uncharted 2 level improvement...but I doubt we'll ever see that.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
I usually don't care about length but that was too short for $60 I think. I got it at Redbox and beat it in a night and loved it though. Really wish we could have a sequel

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
1) Black Bars
2) Forced slow walking sections

Everything else was fun. I wish this game got a PS4 Pro/PS5 patch but obviously that's not going to happen. It wasn't a bad game though, it just needed more game in there and less show.

LookAtMeGo

Oct 25, 2017
a parallel universe
Werewolves being the worst part of a game about werewolves is a pretty big fumble IMO. Then you introduce an interesting new enemy and you dont even get to see them? Come on son. Just when the game is getting to be like "fuck yeah here we go" it ends.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
If it had a few hours more, any kind of multiplayer mode (even a simple deathmatch, nothing fancy) and actual boss fights instead of the
3 dumb encounters with the 'boss'
, it would have easily gotten a better score and guaranteed a sequel.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
It was short. Huge sections of the game would constantly take control from you for glorified cutscenes. You fight like three werewolves the entire game (all the same guy IIRC?), and they are terrible. Characters were forgettable. Looked nice, but it achieves that fidelity by being borderline on-rails a lot of the time, not to mention the black bars cutting down the pixel count.

It was a cool idea for a setting, and a nice aesthetic design, and that's it.

RomanticHeroX

Oct 27, 2017
Everything about it seems uninspired. I don't even care about the price, I don't want to spend the time on something so blah. I'd rather play a bad game that has something interesting about it than a competent game that does nothing special.

Oct 28, 2017
Very little gameplay, and when their was, it was broken up by short movies/cutscenes. I remember one section in particular, You are walking through a small city, you jump down an area, it goes to a cutscene to show you drop to a lower section, then it goes back to gameplay. That game was ALWAYS just pulling you out of gameplay with cutscenes.

I loved the world, I really really liked the story and the gunplay was fantastic. I platinumed the game as well, which isn't that hard. However, the flow of the gameplay, and how often it was broken up by cutscenes, really pulled me out of the experience.

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
A beautiful game with an awesome setting, but the gameplay design was very weak and not very fun. The "boss" fights were honestly among some of the worst I've seen in a video game in a very long time.

It was a half baked idea. A lot of style and not much substance.

Oct 29, 2017
Bland gameplay, and way too short.

The devs wanted to make it as cinematic as possible...but the story simply wasn't interesting enough to make up for those shortcomings, which shouldn't have been there to begin with.

BadAss2961

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree OP, but the answer is easy... It's short, has limited gameplay variety, and the mirrors don't work (lol.) A true barebones launch game type of experience.

A sequel that addresses those shortcomings and opens up the combat scenarios could be a great, great game.

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
Game was full of itself. Didnt spend enough time building characters but wanted you to give a fuck about them still. Uncharted 4 is a good comparison. They spent hours building the relationships then put them in peril at the end.

You can't introduce someone in one chapter, kill them 2 chapters later , and treat it like an Oscar moment.

KAMI-SAMA

Banned
Aug 25, 2020
After some of the early reviews Cyberpunk got, I think Order 1886 was criticized much more harshly than it should have been. The problem with reviewers is that they are so inconsistent.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's so bad. Those Lycan fights where they just run in circles and you actually cannot due are hilarious and nothing feels satisfying.

I've never had a 7 hiur game feel like it overstayed it's welcome before.

Radec

Oct 26, 2017
The actual werewolves fights are repetitive. No variation at all and was a huge letdown.

romey

Mar 2, 2020
Decent game that got caught up in the hype of the new PS4. You can also add Infamous Second Son to that list. People were starving for something to play.

Last edited:

Emrober5

Oct 27, 2017
I loved it. Such an incredible game that likely would have received a much different response if it released at $40.

I think I finished it at about 8 hours on my first playthrough, mopped up a few collectibles and got the platinum. There are far worse ways to spend a few nights.

blitzblake

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
Loved it at the dioscounted price i paid. As has been said, was a bit short, didn't really do anything new in gameplay apart from pretty run of the mill cover shooter stuff. I hope someday we get a sequel because the world and lore was really good and super under utilised/heaps of room to flesh it out.

You can kind of tell that they either ran out of time/budget and had to rein in the scope/cut the game short.

Olengie

Oct 25, 2017
as people said, it was too short and linear with no form of replayability. I would've gladly taken a multiplayer mode just so I can use that Lightning Gun lol

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
It was a game that aimed to accomplish very little and succeeded.

It's kind of interesting in that regard. It's not really a development trainwreck you can pore over post-mortem, it really is just a case of, "Oh, you guys made the game you wanted to, you just... didn't really want to do much, huh?"

Nov 8, 2017
The premise:

• What if King Arthur's Knights of the Round Table were immortal and survived through to the 19th century
  • What if these people protected the world from supernatural threats such as vampires, werewolves and who knows what else
  • What if Nikola Tesla worked with them to provide fantastical new tools in their mission

The game:

• Third person cover shooter
  • Your ancient immortal Sir Gallahad seems to be identical to every other British person in the 19th century. You being immortal is just an excuse for why you have regenerating health
  • Nikola Tesla's biggest contribution to the lore is to provide an excuse for why it's 1886 but you're using a cookie cutter arsenal of modern military shooter weapons
  • Whenever you do use a fancier gun, it's basically a pre-determined set-piece battle
  • Nearly all enemies in the whole game is are humans wielding rifles, shotguns, or handguns
  • The deadliest threat you face is "shotgun man who charges you and has a helmet"
  • The only time you get to fight anything supernatural, it's werewolves (2 in the whole game) and they are quick time event bosses

The degree to which they bend what seems to be interesting lore in such a way that it produces one of the most vanilla third person cover shooters ever made is truly remarkable.

The story itself is extremely basic too. The protagonist basically works for a corporation, which is having you fight rebels, but it turns out... the rebels are good, and the corporation is bad! The protagonist turns on them after discovering this and vows to take them down. This is the same basic plot structure you've seen in movies, tv, and games many times before (Deus Ex, The Force Unleashed, Haze, or more recently Battlefront 2) and there's nothing particularly great about how it's executed.

Other than one very bad stealth mission, the game plays ok, but it's a short game, and a lot of it's runtime is cutscenes or semi-interactive segments. I'm not saying nobody could enjoy this game, certainly, but it was a massive disappointment and enormously squandered potential. I own a steelbook edition I bought at full price day one with a gift card someone gave me and certainly felt like a fool for doing so.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
This fucking game has become romanticized 'cause people are tired of long games and ya'll just wanna beat a game in a weekend and move on to the next title. It wasn't good, and it didn't deliver on what it set out to do.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The length wasn't the only issue. It was the biggest problem but not the only one. The boss fights were terrible, boring and repetitive. The gameplay was a supped up Uncharted 1 with more unique weapons, it felt like last gen in that regard.

Saying that, it has one of the best worlds in a video game. The world oozed in terms of feeling lived in and something you can buy. I love the fact that it's a specific time but with the technology they had at the time, they could have made the things that existed then. It's brilliantly executed. The music was fantastic, the animation and graphics are incredible.. honestly the game was a launch title and is probably one of the 10 best looking games this generation which is absurd. I liked the black bars, they added a level of cinema and made it feel like I was playing an HBO TV series. I honestly think Ghost should have done the same, it fit for what they were doing.

Wish there would be a sequel and if not then, make a fucking TV series out of it. Same with Death Stranding.

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
The lycan fights are completely awful and the rest of the gunplay is middling. But I'd have no issue with more games of that length at least.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
For me, it was mainly the length. The story really starts to come into its own, gets really intriguing, and then, credits roll.

I bought it back when it launched, and I loved it, to be honest. Beautiful graphics and great atmosphere, and I really enjoyed the gunplay and the various locations throughout the story were really cool.

It didn't hurt that I got to play it at E3 the year before it came out, and so I knew what to expect, and what I was getting, so I didn't have crazy hype or expectations for it. I just knew that I loved the setting, and the gunplay was fun.

It's unfortunate that it released at a time where expectations for what was "next gen" were sky high, and the game is just a straight forward 3rd person shooter with pretty graphics. It wasn't revolutionizing anything, and wasn't trying to "redefine the genre," it was just a cool 3PS with werewolves and shit.