• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

taepoppuri

Oct 29, 2017
Dragon Age Inquisition has one, isn't it? And it's already dead by the time I get to play the game.

komaruR

Oct 28, 2017
http://www.twitch.tv/komarur
Dead Rising 2 Terror is Reality. The mini game you do in the main story at the start is neat, but not enough to play other people online. And since a lot of achievements were tied to it, I never got all the chivos in that game compared to 1.
that one i got lucky and manage to win to get the achievement. there after i random join games to purposely lose in hope to help some1 get the winning achivement.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
74d.jpg

Go easy, PS3 only owners were not quenched for AAA exclusive multiplayer last gen; it's why MAG and TLOU tasted so good.

It's the same way that people in desert survival situations often end up trying to drink their own urine.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mass Effect 3's garbage multiplayer mode. Imagine how better the game could have been if Bioware Montreal assisted with the singleplayer instead.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Luigi's Mansion 2 + 3, Kid Icarus: Uprising, Dead Space 2 + 3, Uncharted 2 and its sequels, Bayonetta 2, Max Payne 3.. so many games to choose from! Last gen was the low point where they tacked on multiplayer to almost every single player game on the market. Hilarious in hindsight.

My pick would be The Wonderful 101 though.
I like Kid Icarus Uprising's multiplayer though :-(

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Resident Evil 5's Versus mode, maybe. The controls are too sluggish for a gamemode like that.

rehjul

Dec 27, 2018
Mass Effect 3 should have never had multiplayer. EA should have made sure that the conclusion was top-notch and then focused on something of the sort separately.

Multiplayer wasn't fleshed out enough to warrant coming back in the first place. After having now played the trilogy, one could say the same about ME3's base game too.
Really weird opinion that runs in stark contrast against the majority. People adored ME's multiplayer, even if I wasn't a fan of it myself.

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
After Sonic Adventure 2: Battle had a rather enjoyable multiplayer mode I found Shadow the Hedgehog's utterly worthless. Play as Shadow against yellow stripe Shadow! Or metallic yellow stripe Shadow! Or your absolute favourite - metallic green stripe Shadow!

latest
I came here to say this.

Also the levels were bland (blander than the main game's levels, even), and matches went on way too long because the game mechanics do not lend themselves to multiplayer in the slightest.

FarZa17

Oct 27, 2017
YES! I forgot about this. And wasn't it something totally random like you had to be on a date? Also, you couldn't both get into a plane, so lame.

Player can start the mode with coop icon located at certain place around the cities then P2 can choose any available peds model and just free roaming without any objective, though both players can kiss each other like they are on date..

OcelotUnit64

Jan 22, 2020
Doom 2016 with the MP being basically a very lackluster team deathmatch with absolutely none of the things that make the SP good and fun.

Totally agree. I don't know how they managed to mess that up. Everything about the single player screams arena shooter but the multiplayer is garbage.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Bioshock 2, that was probably the peak of adding worthless MP to SP games.

On the other hand I think I might prefer tacked on MP over games as a service infiltrating everything

MoonlitBow

Oct 25, 2017
Going to say DOOM 2016 as well. I remember a lot of the game's marketing having a huge focus on the multiplayer side and it took way too long to get an actual look at the single player gameplay.

Also, Double Dragon on the NES. There was no cooperative mode so they threw in a VS mode that only had mirror matches that wasn't very good.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
Mass Effect 3 should have never had multiplayer. EA should have made sure that the conclusion was top-notch and then focused on something of the sort separately.

Multiplayer wasn't fleshed out enough to warrant coming back in the first place. After having now played the trilogy, one could say the same about ME3's base game too.
ME3's multiplayer may not have been expected or neccessary, but it ended up being quite good, a lot of people remember it quite fondly (despite it being a microtransaction riddled affair).

I put it in the same category as The Last of Us' multiplayer, nobody expected it, and it ends up being top notch in spite of that fact.

Artadius

Avenger
Jan 15, 2018
The one that always stood out to me was the multiplayer in Baldur's Gate 2.

The idea sounded cool but who really wanted to coordinate a playthrough of that behemoth of a game with other people?

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I dunno, it kinda made sense to include it given how fun Sonic 2's multiplayer was. The levels (outside of the music, of course) are kinda ass, though.

Edit: Unless you mean the whole being able to play it by yourself thing, in which case yeah, LO-fucking-L

I think there's something to be said for having a handful of short and speedier levels in Sonic 3 that are more in line with the speedy and focused structure of Sonic CD, and so I don't write off the (competitive) 2-p mode entirely, but yeah, they're still lacking in that respect. The whole being kinda ass thing is exactly why I think it's unnecessary.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Metroid Prime 2 had a pretty bland one.

I actually played a good deal of this one. My group of friends were Gamecube-only and our options for FPS multiplayer weren't exactly plentiful (it was basically just TimeSplitters and NightFire....though we ended up playing way more MP2 MP than Nightfire for some reason, though TimeSplitters was king). I don't think it's anywhere near as bad as its reputation suggests, though at the time I played it I had so few reference points for anything else like it.

After Sonic Adventure 2: Battle had a rather enjoyable multiplayer mode I found Shadow the Hedgehog's utterly worthless. Play as Shadow against yellow stripe Shadow! Or metallic yellow stripe Shadow! Or your absolute favourite - metallic green stripe Shadow!

latest

This was another one of my "multiplayers that probably aren't actually good but I enjoyed my time with because there was nothing else close to it on the Gamecube". Oddly enough I never found SA2's to be that fun but I played the heck out of this with my friend and I have no idea how, since thinking back that game's mechanics are pretty janky for multiplayer.

Last edited:
I'd say generally all of them because the servers for multiplayers never stay alive for very long x_x and moreso if they have a feature for text chat in-game but could never get it to work and removed it entirely I'M LOOKING AT YOU BIOWARE FOR THAT ME3 MP! (I am still angry over that.)

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I've never seen anyone even TALK about Spec Ops: The Line MP. So that one.
As the extent of it was always just "its there" while others at least had some interesting ideas to share.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Dead Space 2, I gave it a fair chance since I liked L4D Versus but it didn't even come close.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Batman Arkham Origins has a multiplayer mode. First in the series from what I remember. It's pretty much the number one thing I question about Origins. Was such a waste of resources lol. Must have been WB demanding it

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Batman Arkham Origins has a multiplayer mode. First in the series from what I remember. It's pretty much the number one thing I question about Origins. Was such a waste of resources lol. Must have been WB demanding it

They farmed it out to Splash Damage to do the multiplayer. The rest of the game was done by WB Games Montréal.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL

latest
Sonic Colors also had really tacked on multiplayer. The levels you unlock by collecting the red rings can be played with two players, and the two players, er, "race" to the end of the stage.

I put "race" in quotes because it doesn't feel like a race at all. The level design doesn't at all accommodate for that and it all just feels so artificial. I don't think the game even tracked who "wins". One of the players simply reaches the end of the level and that's that.

There hasn't been a single worthwhile multiplayer mode in any 3D Sonic since SA2:B. Heroes is the only one that comes even remotely close, and I would give Lost World a pass if it didn't, well, play like Lost World.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Oh, that's Spec Ops: The Line, no question.

Yes, it had multiplayer. Yes, it's exactly the kind of thing that flies right in the face of every point the game itself was trying to get across, and the developers protested as much. But 2K was adamant about it having MP, so (if I remember right) they outsourced it to a different team, and the mode was unceremoniously tacked on before release. Virtually no one played it for any significant length of time.

EDIT: looks like this has been brought up before several times. Good. I'm just surprised people remember it even had a MP mode.

Aug 13, 2019
Assassin's Creed Brotherhood and subsequently Revelations, III and IV.
They had no right adding a competitive multiplayer to a story driven game like AC, and at the same time the multiplayer had no right in being that good, imaginative and simply a breath of fresh air in the midst of all the shooters.
I still miss it.
Hope one day Ubisoft launches a standalone F2P, or like 20$ version of the multiplayer.
I absolutely knew someone was going to mention Assassin's Creed. Back when it was still a thing I remember it getting criticism for being repetitive and forgettable, but it was a unique multiplayer experience that no one else was doing that I can remember. I miss it too.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
... what the fuck?
God of War Ascension's multiplayer was genuinely really good. By far the best part of that game. It got bad press because people absurdly blamed it for the lack of quality on the single player side of things.

It was like powerstone for a modern era, and one day someone is going to build a similar game in the right context which will blow up.

Any mp made by ND or BioWare.

The Last of Us' multiplayer mode is exceptional. Absolutely insane opinions in this thread, presumably from people that spent next to no time playing the modes they are attacking.