• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Most important animal

• Dogs

Votes: 64 13.4%
  • Cats

Votes: 12 2.5%
  • Horses

Votes: 253 53.0%
  • Chickens

Votes: 11 2.3%
  • Cattle

Votes: 130 27.3%
  • Spiders

Votes: 7 1.5%

• Total voters

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Cattle, the development of large scale agriculture would be impossible without them.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Interesting fact regarding horses.

Not many people know that the greatest use of horses in any military conflict in history was by the Germans in WWII: 80% of their entire transport was equestrian. Despite all the propaganda about Blitzkreig, formidable German R&D, industrial design and production, the day to day mechanics of that fighting force involved an average of 1.1 million horses throughout the war. Of the 322 German divisions in the middle of the war - 1943 - only 52 were armored or motorized.

The great bulk of the German combat strength—the old-type infantry divisions—marched into battle on foot, with their weapons and supply trains propelled almost entirely by four-legged horsepower. The light and mountain divisions had an even greater proportion of animals, and the cavalry divisions were naturally mainly dependent on the horse.

Didn't see that in films, not that they are bastions of history but quite the overlook.

Nov 14, 2017
There is no single answer because civilisations developed in a variety of times and places somewhat independently, existing in different ecosystems and employing domestication of animals in differing ways and to differing degrees.

Jun 20, 2019
It's oxen (cattle). There is a far longer and broader history of using oxen as beasts of labor than horses, and the labor they did was key to feeding the growing cities.

Septy

Prophet of Truth
Nov 29, 2017
United States
Dogs. Before agriculture even developed (which you don't need horses or cattle for) dogs helped grow mankind's numbers by helping us when we were a hunting & gathering society. Without that we couldn't have transformed into a larger civilization. And you don't need horses or cattle to have a large civilization. Look at the Aztecs and Inca.

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
Dogs. Before agriculture even developed (which you don't need horses or cattle for) dogs helped grow mankind's numbers by helping us when we were a hunting & gathering society. Without that we couldn't have transformed into a larger civilization. And you don't need horses or cattle to have a large civilization. Look at the Aztecs and Inca.
This. It's always been the doggos.

Noisy Ninj4

Oct 25, 2017
Dogs overall. Their relationship with humans and eventual domestication allowed for a better diet through improved hunting which led to larger brains in the humans with them. Bigger brains led to better analytical and problem solving skills which led to agriculture and from there human civilization really began in earnest.

While dogs might have been less crucial once hunting and gathering stopped being the primary means of acquiring food, they still served purposes for us. This is why we see so many breeds today, dogs have been formed and molded to fit our needs and desires for millennia. Other animals have been domesticated, of course, but dogs were the first and are the most integrated to our species.

Bear Patrol

Oct 27, 2017
There is no single answer because civilisations developed in a variety of times and places somewhat independently, existing in different ecosystems and employing domestication of animals in differing ways and to differing degrees.
While true, the existence of certain animals helped certain parts of the world advance faster technologically and gave them an edge.

The lack of native horses in the Americas has been given as one reason that the civilizations there were not at the same level of war capability and overall development as Europeans. I'll try to find the exact source for it but I remember reading that horses, for example, are easier to breed, domesticate and handle than llamas and alpacas and can also carry far heavier loads. That allowed people with horses to advance their living standards to a higher degree than those without.

That said, I'm not 100% sure if this is still accepted theory now.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
Horses were the fastest means of human transportation for thousands of years, you can't beat that animal wise.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
HOW DARE YOU NOT CHOOSE DOGS?!?!?
836c2d92f5cc2a36382a62de83e4ce9c.jpg

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017
There were thriving civilizations in the Americas without horses. You don't have civilization period without bees.

Septy

Prophet of Truth
Nov 29, 2017
United States
While true, the existence of certain animals helped certain parts of the world advance faster technologically and gave them an edge.

The lack of native horses in the Americas has been given as one reason that the civilizations there were not at the same level of war capability and overall development as Europeans. I'll try to find the exact source for it but I remember reading that horses, for example, are easier to breed, domesticate and handle than llamas and alpacas and can also carry far heavier loads. That allowed people with horses to advance their living standards to a higher degree than those without.

Given enough time I believe indigenous Americans would have domesticated bison. You have to remember that the America's didn't even get colonized until around 10,000 years ago. And South America even less. Civilizations in Africa and Europe had over 100,000 more years to develop.

Nov 14, 2017

Sure, and ecosystems had/have massive impacts on social development and structures beyond the presence/types of animals suitable for domestication too (although I wouldn't use the term living standards here). But framing the question as which animal was most important for "civilisation's development" necessarily means taking a specific and narrow (and usually/largely Eurocentric) view of what counts as civilisation, as well as assuming a unitary nature of modern civilisation.

Probably dogs, there were civilizations without the other animals, only dogs were universal.
There are ruins of aquaculture systems and shelters built by Indigenous Australians that predate the estimated arrival of the dingo by a few thousand years (humans having inhabited the continent for tens of thousands of years and dingoes only arriving in the past 3-4 thousand).

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
It is cattle. Horses weren't really utilized for a long time and civilization grew. The creation of better agriculture techniques basically started human society with large territories with rules, laws, currency, etc.

Harken Raiser

Oct 25, 2017
Yeast, for bread and alcohol.

Edit: Wikipedia says yeast is a fungus, so I guess beasts of burden like cows/oxen for hauling goods, plowing fields and building stuff.

Last edited:

brochiller

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
There are some theories that say without dogs human populations would have never exceeded the millions.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I love spiders, but I don't know how they would be the most important animal to the development of human civilization.

Dogs are the only universal domesticated animal here, being part of virtually all human cultures for at least 10,000 years, so I go with them.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I really don't see an argument for anything besides the horse (out of that list).

Maybe cattle, but while I think other animals could have been what we used cattle for, it was pretty much only the horse for transport.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
In that case dogs. There are plausible theories that the domestication of the dog was essential in helping early civilizations form
Yeah Dogs were super important. I think which is most important also depends on when you're looking. Dogs were essential to helping us reach the point where we could start early agricultural socities, cattle were super important for their role as beasts of burden and draft animals after that point. Horses were also super useful but didn't really take off until horse collars became universal in the 12th century, at which point oxen became completely outclassed and which is cited as a huge part of the transition from the middle ages and feudal society

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
I know spiders is the joke option but considering mosquitoes are humanity's deadliest enemy in terms of malaria death toll (an estimated half of all the humans who have ever lived have died from malaria), anything that controls mosquito population is arguably extremely instrumental to the development of civilization.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I really don't see an argument for anything besides the horse (out of that list).

Maybe cattle, but while I think other animals could have been what we used cattle for, it was pretty much only the horse for transport.
This is kind of true, but there's a big caveat. For most of human history cattle were unrivaled as draft animals since the original collars would choke horses and so they couldn't be used for those jobs. That said, once the horse collar was developed and popularized horses completely outclassed cattle in this regard and so their uses became a lot more generic

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
There seem to be multiple instances in history where figuring out new ways to use horses was such a radical competitive advantage that the whole map of human civilization was upended, so I'll probably go with that one.

Cattle and chickens do more for the average person in terms of providing food and other products, but when the a significant chunk of the world is speaking a language that can trace itself back to the migrations of the first people to figure out horseback riding, and the the fall of the Roman Empire was precipitated by some Huns figuring out the stirrup a few thousand miles away, hard to not say it's the horse.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
It is cattle. Horses weren't really utilized for a long time and civilization grew. The creation of better agriculture techniques basically started human society with large territories with rules, laws, currency, etc.

Yep. I went with cattle. Plus, horses weren't utilized in Americas until the arrival of Europeans.

offtopic

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Realizing that this is probably an irreverent reference to your name (but maybe not), an argument could be made for the tortoise/finch combo. imo the most important invention of humans is science and the study of those two creatures propelled science ahead in ways that are vastly important but difficult to calculate.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yep. I went with cattle. Plus, horses weren't utilized in Americas until the arrival of Europeans.
I mean, the Americas didn't really make significant use of pretty much any domesticated animals since there are almost no suitable domestication targets (especially among mammals who tend to be the most important). The lack of them is a pretty big factor that led to Europe and Asia advancing significantly faster

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Obviously oxen. None of these other animals allowed the exponential population growth that animal husbandry in agriculture produced.