• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
You had to be in the live stream where Masuda announced Sword and Shield would have a crippled selection of Pokémon to use.

I've never seen such an instant U-turn in a live chat. I sadly don't think the chat was ever recorder, it was CRAZY.

Doom_Bringer

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Probably the previews/reviews for Heavenly Sword and Lair. PS3 was struggling at the time and these games were it's savior. I was especially let down by the tech problems in Heavenly Sword, never touched either games.

Takuhi

Oct 27, 2017
There was some Assassin's Creed game, I don't remember which one, but I was super hyped to buy it and one of the previews mentioned the game had treasure chests that could only be opened via DLC or Ubi Points or something, and I immediately noped out of that franchise for years.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
I'm admittedly prone to hyperbole at times, but I wasn't intending to be hyperbolic in this case. I understand that something like this is trivial to many people, but to me it completely diminishes the satisfaction of taking down enemies. Procedural generation grounds the enemies into the environment and makes them feel palpable. When you see them playing out the same canned animation over and over again throughout a long, combat-oriented game and then hovering over uneven surfaces stiff as a board like a fuckin' PS1 game it really diminishes the impact of the combat and stealth, respectively, for me.

Just... why would a AAA action-adventure game in 2020 use canned animations for enemy deaths? It's damn-near unheard of.

Aww I gotcha I guess we can hope they have enough canned animations that they don't tire out?

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
While I had heard indications it would change a while before release, I hadn't followed Crackdown 3 vey closely. I was still interested when I heard the environmental destruction was relegated to a multiplayer mode, but seeing how limited it was and the aesthetic of that mode's environments really killed my interest.

What initially caught my attention:

www.youtube.com

17 Minutes of Explosive Crackdown 3 Gameplay - Gamescom 2015

Crackdown creator Dave Jones takes us through the technical aspects of Crackdown 3 and lets us get some hands on time blowing things up.

What it ended up being:
www.youtube.com

Crackdown 3: Wrecking Zone Multiplayer Full-Match Gameplay

Get a look at a full round of Crackdown 3's cloud-powered multiplayer mode.Crackdown 3: Single-Player Gameplay Footage & Details (4K) - IGN First:https://www...

Oct 27, 2017
There was some Assassin's Creed game, I don't remember which one, but I was super hyped to buy it and one of the previews mentioned the game had treasure chests that could only be opened via DLC or Ubi Points or something, and I immediately noped out of that franchise for years.

That was probably Unity. It had like 3 or 4 different kinds of chests. Crazy stuff.

Oct 29, 2017
People have weird expectations. I was disappointed with the HUD from GoT, that's valid, although I am still quite excited to play.

But SoT? There was an alpha and a beta. This shit is annoying as hell. People build up expectations on a big nothing, for no good reason. This has been a theme ever since there were betas. Every single fucking time there is a beta very close to launch, people defend games because it's not out yet. Why can't people have realistic expectations? For once? Every valid point about the game's state instantly becomes "concern trolling" up until the very end, when it releases. And voila! Realistic expectations turned out to be the closest to reality.

And I don't mean this in derogatory way concerning the games. SoT was a perfectly fine game. It was a GaaS game which from the very start was about the social online multiplayer. It was clear as day that that was the main idea behind the game. If someone hoped that it was a completely different game from what it was meant to be up until the very end after two early access looks... Man, that's on completely them.

I can totally understand people asking for refunds on NMS. I think the pitchforks were too much, but all in all, yes, that was a shitty move. But once again, people seemed to be disappointed with NMS because it didn't have side-quests all over it with some advanced deep combat. That game was never meant to have either of those things. It was an amazing unique game where you explored a generated infinite universe. I can understand if that is not enough for people. It was a niche game, but I cannot understand how people were disappointed (to clarify, I am not talking about the multiplayer here, that is completely valid).

I don't know, I'm just venting. The same thing is happening with next-gen. Unreasonable expectations with instant wild speculation. Even though we are probably going to get a very nice looking AC game, people are going to crap on its graphics. I can guarantee it.

(and to be fair, this is not a direct response to anyone in this thread, it's just a general feeling I've been having about the problems with expectations regarding video games)

Last edited:

dralla

Oct 27, 2017
Most recently, RE3 Remake. No Clocktower, no live selection, no ink ribbons, and various other things that are missing. Completely killed any hype I had for it and have no desire to play it.

Rirse

Jun 29, 2019
Besides something like "only on Epic store" which just instantly makes me just wait for the console version to be cheap, it stuff like LoU2 story leak that just sound dire or early impression on RE3R that just cancel my pre-order.

But honestly I don't tend to follow a lot of hype for games, so stuff like Pokemon dex just means I just get it later on used and actually enjoy the game outside of the problem. Like the OP issue with Ghost, I honestly not really watch any gameplay for it. Probably not buying it right away, but imagine I will enjoy it later on.

Think the only thing that comes to mine that killed interest in playing it for a long while was Sekiro and Jedi Fallen Order not having a custom character. I always enjoy just making a character in the Souls style games, so having a pre-created guy is not nearly as interesting.

Oct 26, 2017
If your gaze is focused on an enemy dying after you've already dealt them the killing blow then I'm sorry but you haven't been paying attention in ninja class.

You should be onto the next enemy before the previous one realizes they've been hit, or if it was the last remaining enemy, you should be the fuck outta there already.

JazzmanZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
When Epic Mickeys first screenshots released

Epic-Mickey-Wii-Controllers.jpg

Boy nothing was going to live up to that Concept art.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
The fucking hyper-downgrade of Dark Souls 2.

It went from looking too good, like what the fuck good, to some screens legit looking like PS2 screenshots shortly before release and nobody knew what was going on. I shrugged it off assuming it was some sort of bad angle or what have, did the midnight launch, even took a day off work only to find out it most certainly was true. Some of that game still looks mindbogglingly bad to me. Left the sourest taste a video game has ever managed to leave. I see that box on my shelf and cringe a little each time.

This was easily the most memorable for me, and I usually kept my hype levels in check for most games. After Demon's and the first Dark Souls though I felt I had no reason to with FromSoftware. Despite still enjoying the game for the most part overall (put close to 300 hours in I think, and that was purely PvE), I still can't help but to lament what could have been.

The next disaster would be Andromeda. I mean fuck me. It was coming off the highs of one of the greatest (if not the greatest) gaming trilogies ever, and what we got was basically a pale imitation of Mass Effect in a near cookie cutter AAA open-world. Blech...

I don't remember this, could you send me a link or something, mate? I want to see the difference.

People have already posted comparison videos a few times, but I think you should actually watch the reveal to see just how striking of a downgrade it had. This trailer really raised my hype level like no game had before in a very long time.

What makes it such a hard hitting blow is that they really wanted to make an amazing looking game (and had one), but then had to hatchet job the "optimizations" close to release due to it simply running like shit on the consoles with the way they previously had it. You can tell it was a rush job too by how washed out and flat most areas look, as though they raised the gamma, yet they left all the damn braziers in anyway. You almost never needed any of them either aside from the Gutter.

Last edited:

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
Warcraft Reforged no longer getting all those campaign (ingame) cinematics overhauled... woof. And then there were just a slew of issues that mess of a product even replaced the perfectly functional Wc3 to boot.

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Dexit. This immediately killed my hype not only for the Gen 8 games but for the entire mainline series of Pokémon.
I was soooo excited for the first new generation of Pokémon on an HD system, too. Heck I didn't even need Breath of the Wild Pokémon or whatever, just a nice step up over gen 7. As I watched Let's Go! come and go I kept reminding myself that a new Gen catering more towards the core Pokémon players was coming soon. And then that treehouse interview happened where they announced the Dex cuts. This wasn't even on my radar of possible concerns. Immediately caused my hype train to derail and crash and burn. Oof. Never was my hype for something killed so quickly.

Oct 26, 2017
Well I just went to google TLOU2's release date and I got a spoiler in my recommended search options

I saw it coming from a mile away so I'm not too torn up about it, but still just the act of getting spoiled by assholes who can't keep their mouths shut deflates me of hype

Fuck those leakers man

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Ah, yeah, that was the one. Sounds like I dodged a bullet though, and that was the least of that game's problems.
That wasn't the one thing that killed it for me, I don't even know if I heard about that before launch. I think it was the rumors of performance problems that killed it for me. But having gone back and played it since then (after most of the major glitches were ironed out, the chests were opened up, and PS4 Pro's Boost Mode could help out), it's actually a pretty good game. I ended up liking it a hell of a lot more than Syndicate.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
I will say I'm pretty bummed about GoT being so by-the-numbers ultimately. I'm not sure what exactly I was expecting really but just a bit more than a generic current-gen open world game with a Kurosawa coat of paint.

This is where I'm at with Ghost of Tsushima. I've been super hyped for it ever since that E3 2018 trailer, but its State of Play presentation kinda killed my excitement when I how "safe" it ultimately seems it might be. I'm not one of those people who thinks every game must innovate or have original ideas, and I've enjoyed plenty of games that play it safe by refining or just doing really well what other games have done already, but that E3 2018 trailer just made it seem like Ghost of Tsushima was going to be something very unique and singular and its State of Play made it look exactly the opposite. Perhaps I had unreasonable expectations in the first place, though? I'm not sure.

Archduke Kong

Feb 2, 2019
The fact that there were only five worlds in Yooka-Laylee and you'd had to "expand them". When they announced a spiritual successor to Banjo-Kazooie I was at least hoping for a similar world count. Like, eight worlds at minimum not counting the hub world, so the fact that we were only getting five unique worlds was a bummer.

I eventually played through and really enjoyed Yooka-Laylee, and came around to the "expanded worlds" thing. I ended up viewing the expansions as five new levels and just came back to do them after clearing the first half of each world. Since I was already familiar with the world layouts, seeing them changed the next time I came back was interesting. That said, I really hope they do several smaller worlds instead of a few large and expandable worlds if they do a 3D sequel.

Speaking of which, while I'm glad people love Impossible Lair, seeing a tease for a new YL and having that game revealed to be a 2D platformer was possibly the quickest I've gone from "ooh!" to "oh" in a while. There's a LOT of 2D platformers out there, there aren't nearly as many 3D ones and I was really hoping to see them improve on the original YL rather than throwing the idea of a new collectathon away. Impossible Lair being a DKC throwback at least helped keep my interest in playing it at some point, and I'm not saying they shouldn't have made IL, but I would have been way more excited for a 3D Yooka-Laylee 2.

Shokunin

Oct 25, 2017
The city beautiful

It went from looking too good, like what the fuck good, to some screens legit looking like PS2 screenshots shortly before release and nobody knew what was going on. I shrugged it off assuming it was some sort of bad angle or what have, did the midnight launch, even took a day off work only to find out it most certainly was true. Some of that game still looks mindbogglingly bad to me. Left the sourest taste a video game has ever managed to leave. I see that box on my shelf and cringe a little each time.
This is mine. I was so hyped for DS2 and then they pulled the rug out from under us.

I still haven't bought DS2 and I probably never will.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
Not a personal hype-killer, but generally speaking an all-timer has to be the news that RE4 was coming out on PS2 right before the GC one dropped.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
No Man's Sky.

The realisation that it is just a survival game where you fly to green and purple versions of your starting planet to dig up slightly different things.

Dec 6, 2017
US
This is mine. I was so hyped for DS2 and then they pulled the rug out from under us.

I still haven't bought DS2 and I probably never will.

Actually DS2 counts twice.

Remember when everyone thought Scholar would possibly reinstate the lighting engine or generally be righting the wrongs...lulz yea.

Here's remixed enemy placement and other shit nobody asked for.

Ballpoint Ren

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The Brutal Legend would have RTS gameplay. I love the hell of that game, but fuck me if those sections weren't the worst parts of the game.

Nardy_19

Alt-account
Banned
Sep 14, 2019
EA Sports "new sports" title is actually just UFC 4......I really thought EA was adding a new franchise to the mix.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The watch_dogs downgrade killed pretty much any hype i had for the game. It was supposed to be one of the early crowning graphical achievments on my then relatively new ps4, instead we got a higher resolution ps3 game.

CJCW?

Oct 27, 2017
RE2 remake not having fixed camera angles is the first one that comes to mind. I of course liked the game in the end, and it had bigger problems than leaving out that one element, but it has basically cemented the fact that we will never get a new classic style RE ever again. There was really no way it could truly live up to the original with that kind of change.

And in retrospect, I should have noticed how different Bioshock Infinite was looking near release compared to what had been shown years prior, but that's the sort of thing a developer isn't gonna come out and confess pre-release.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Not really a hyped game but I was hyped for it. Godzilla for ps4 not having any local vs play. I had planned to unlock all the classic monsters and have some friends over to brawl but nope only online vs. So fucking dumb and killed all my hype.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
I wasn't terribly hyped for it after the e3 2018 showing but Ghosts of Tsushima when they showed question marks on the map.

i took the "no waypoints" as a sign that this wouldn't be another by the numbers AAA open world. Maybe it's design would be noteworthy. Maybe that was me reading too much into it.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
It wasn't close to launch, but learning Cyberpunk 2077 would be 100% first-person, including cutscenes, was a major bummer. Since then I haven't really been in a hurry to see it come out, although I'll get it for sure.

Lyre

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 12, 2020
London
Assassins Creed: Republican, where you fight in the American revolution for some reason (and of course, for the 'murkans).

Edit - Just googled out of interest and Hamilton isn't even in it, LOL. Fucking idiots.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Actually ditto the national dex controversy, a lot of my favourite mons disappeared and I was so dissapointed I havent bought SwSh yet. The DLC mons actually caught my eye tho, volcarona is there.

Dr. Doom

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
User Banned (3 Days) - Unmarked Spoilers
The fact that Ellie is no longer the main protagonist in TLOU2. My hype for that game has crashed from the stratosphere to rock bottom.

Last edited by a moderator:

Xythantiops

Oct 27, 2017

Agreed. I definitely chuckled when I got here.

a67eaaa22579cfcc8b9181bef8364be880cc7fce4eb7421e3fb826a1cf4b7d9d.jpg

I'll also add the Steam version of Sonic Mania to the list. A few days before release it gets delayed for 2 weeks to add Denuvo. Immediate refund on my preorder.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
When I found out KH3 didn't have Anna and Elsa as team mates and instead had Marshmallow.

I really like that movie.

Jan 11, 2018
Dunedin, New Zealand
Every time a games beta has all the content of the full release really bums me out, mostly happens with MP shooters. Theres nothing worse than playing the shit out of a free beta, then fronting the cash for the exact same thing you had been playing for free for weeks.