• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Season 11 boasted such nonsense as...

- Maude getting killed by a T-shirt cannon
- Barney deciding he didn't want to be a drunk anymore
- renegade jockey elves that kidnapped and attempted to kill Homer
- renegade bikers that kidnapped Marge so she could take care of them
- renegade Springfield restauranteurs attempting to kill Homer via a giant eclair
- Homer fleeing from PBS after welching on a donation and escaping to a remote island so he could bring religion to the natives and lick toads
- Manjula giving birth to octuplets upon which were then made into a zoo exhibit
- Homer goes temporarily insane until the family takes him to visit Kid Rock in Florida, they then kill an alligator and flee the authorities
- Bart goes temporarily insane and thinks Major League Baseball is spying on him via satellites
- Marge goes temporarily insane and thinks Otto's ex-fiancee is trying to steal her family
- Maggie saving Homer from drowning
- the Tomacco episode
- the Funzo episode with Gary Coleman
- President Trump
I don't even remember enough to know when I quit, but if it wasn't season 11, then it was almost certainly just after it.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
In retrospect, it really should have been sooner but this moment is literally the moment the where I just couldn't anymore..I stopped watching new episodes after this episode and mainly because of this scene
1171545.gif
Yeah I think this episode was it. There were episodes before that where I knew the best days were behind it, but I think this episode was when I thought "why am I still here?"

IamError

Aug 22, 2020
I stayed loyal to The Simpsons for way more seasons than most in this thread, but when they made the switch to HD was when something fundamentally changed for the worse. That's when I noticed I was cringing more than laughing. I haven't watched it hardly at all since, and when I have it's only reenforced my opinions. People who say it died in the 8th or 9th season though? Nah, it may have been hit-or-miss, but there was still some quality episodes past the 15th.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
As somebody who grew up watching reruns as well as new episodes during the early 2000s, I genuinely have a lot of fond memories of a lot of the episodes people are listing as deal breakers. Like how can you dislike the episode where Bart learns Major League Baseball is spying on everyone? It got absurd, yet I recall loving that as a kid.

I watched new episodes as they aired and knew at the time they weren't excellent - but I don't think I came across one I genuinely hated until the one where Homer & Marge do a Wife Swap with a British family, the father of which was played by Ricky Gervais. Just a long string of IMMEDIATELY dated jokes about early 2000s network TV, and Gervais being his same unfunny self.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Yeah I think this episode was it. There were episodes before that where I knew the best days were behind it, but I think this episode was when I thought "why am I still here?"
it was really weird how in that episode they were making jokes about celebrities being prevalent in Simpsons episodes of the past while at the same time HEAVILY INDULGING in their own celebrity cameo

it was like the precursor to 'lisa goes gaga'

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Limp, tedious gag that was lazily inserted to burn time on a script that they couldn't get to 22 minutes. Clear sign the show had reached rock bottom of the downslide it'd been on the past couple of seasons.

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
id have to watch from season 9 to pinpoint it because for me it is not the commonly used principal and the pauper one. there are bad episodes but i dont think a single one would do it in for me, it would have to be a string of episodes that would do it for me. im much more forgiving of a bad show if it can still produce the occasional good episode. there are a couple "classic" episodes that don't do anything for me these days or are wholy held up by one core idea- mother simpson is def pulled up by it's emotional conclusion but the plot of it feels like a borderline parody of the lost parent trope that pops up in a long-running show, except it earnestly wants you to feel it.

Hound

Jul 6, 2019
Season 11 was where I know I consciously stopped watching religiously, although there were some serious stinkers well before that. I think the episode that made me outright stop and never return was a few seasons later when the Simpsons went to the UK. That episode was absolutely garbage and one of the worst things Ive ever seen. Even "Behind the Laughter" is better.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
When I stopped watching TV for the most part. Sometime before season 10 probably.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
despite its classic moments, i still find 'a star is burns' to be just generally a bad episode

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
"Lisa The Skeptic" has always rubbed me the wrong way. In particular the ending where the show requires Lisa to lose ground, even just a little bit, is bullshit.

I don't know if that was the moment but even as a youngin' it felt wrong and my enthusiasm for the show waned around that time.

Deleted member 1086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
there's one episode from the later teen seasons where Homer is trying to go to Vegas and Bart gets in trouble and has to go to some camp in Oregon only Bart is on the no fly list so Homer is forced to take him on a cross country road trip that I like. Have no idea what it's called or what season its from, but I've seen it in reruns several times.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
I have a certain reverence for The Principal and the Pauper. Silly or not (and it has been largely retconned out of existence outside of a reference in Season 15's I, D'oh-bot), that episode boasts some of the best Agnes Skinner characterization you'll find in the entire series. Both Edna and Marge have some great scenes as well. The voice actors really brought it for that episode. I've seen so many half-assed plots fall apart over the years. I won't begrudge them for going all-in on that one with their entire ass.

despite its classic moments, i still find 'a star is burns' to be just generally a bad episode
It's a bad episode with some winning jokes.

there's one episode from the later teen seasons where Homer is trying to go to Vegas and Bart gets in trouble and has to go to some camp in Oregon only Bart is on the no fly list so Homer is forced to take him on a cross country road trip that I like. Have no idea what it's called or what season its from, but I've seen it in reruns several times.
That would be We're on the Road to D'ohwhere.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Season 11 boasted such nonsense as...

- Maude getting killed by a T-shirt cannon
- Barney deciding he didn't want to be a drunk anymore
- renegade jockey elves that kidnapped and attempted to kill Homer
- renegade bikers that kidnapped Marge so she could take care of them
- renegade Springfield restauranteurs attempting to kill Homer via a giant eclair
- Homer fleeing from PBS after welching on a donation and escaping to a remote island so he could bring religion to the natives and lick toads
- Manjula giving birth to octuplets upon which were then made into a zoo exhibit
- Homer goes temporarily insane until the family takes him to visit Kid Rock in Florida, they then kill an alligator and flee the authorities
- Bart goes temporarily insane and thinks Major League Baseball is spying on him via satellites
- Marge goes temporarily insane and thinks Otto's ex-fiancee is trying to steal her family
- Maggie saving Homer from drowning
- the Tomacco episode
- the Funzo episode with Gary Coleman
- President Trump
...Well when you put it like that.

AaronD

Dec 1, 2017
The Principal and the Pauper turned me from a dedicated fan watching weekly since the show's inception to someone who never saw another Simpsons for over a decade later.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
I think the weirdest revelation for me was that I can at least remember nearly every Season 11 episode and that there's usually at least one halfway decent line or gag or two that I can recall, even if each episode itself was bad-to-mediocre.

Season 12? Almost nothing. Like maybe two or three episodes where if you showed me a specific screenshot (like Johnny Tightlips or Homer's website) I'd be like "oh yeah, that one." Then nothing. You could describe any S13 episode and I'd have no clue at all what you're talking about.

rashbeep

Oct 27, 2017
My local station kept rerunning season 11 episodes for some reason so I had to tolerate those

But ya that was pretty bad

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
analyzing everything i think it has to be season 13 with the absolute "worst episode ever" peak being brawl in the family for me. season 12 is pretty bad too but theres some decent episodes in there, i suppose. brawl in the family is nonsensically bad.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Btw, not exactly related to the topic in hand, but lately after discussing with some friends I have soured on some classic episodes for the original seasons thanks to some of the religious or political views on it, like I was shocked when I realized that the episode where Bart failed an exam to be extremely religious, like I'm sure that I would probably start questioning some episodes after having a different world view than my child self

Last edited:

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
Btw, not exactly related to the topic in hand, but lately after discussing with some friends I have soured on some classic episodes for the original seasons thanks to some of the religious or political views on it, like I was shocked when I realized that that episode where Bart failed an exam to be extremely religious, like I'm sure that I would probably start questioning some episodes after having a different world view than my child self
The episode where Homer stops going to church and creates his own religion to justify it is wild in retrospect, because it's clearly written by and for a viewpoint that a man NOT going to church every Sunday morning is massively shocking and troubling.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The episode where Homer stops going to church and creates his own religion to justify it is wild in retrospect, because it's clearly written by and for a viewpoint that a man NOT going to church every Sunday morning is massively shocking and troubling.

Yeah that was another episode that I was discussing with a friend, alongside that one where Lisa fears that she will go to hell because Homer gets an Illegal cable hookup

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I've never religiously watched the show, just caught it now and then when I was younger. I'm a much bigger fan of Futurama personally, but sometimes when I'm back home and I catch a new episode I still find it entertaining. It kinda feels like it isn't as good as it was back in the day but compared to a lot of stuff on tv it's enjoyable at least.

But maybe I haven't seen a really really bad episode yet

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Tale of Two Springfields. I kept watching for a season or two, but by then it was hate watching and I stopped watching repeats after that. It was just so awful, humor was lacking any wit and everytime I see a recent episode, I don't recognise the show I loved for a decade.

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Saddlesore Galactica.

There were still probably some good eps in season 11 and 12, but Saddlesore Galactica was shockingly bad to watch live. It's like seeing an aging hall-of-famer just get shelled. You're thinking, "well that was one bad game, this surely can't be the beginning of the end for their career."

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017

Limp, tedious gag that was lazily inserted to burn time on a script that they couldn't get to 22 minutes. Clear sign the show had reached rock bottom of the downslide it'd been on the past couple of seasons.

I remember my mom and I laughing our assess off at that gag the first time we watched it . Actually because of that it is one of the gags I remember the most. Opinions I guess.

For me it was when the original Latin voices were replaced. It coincided with the release of the latest seasons I believe (12 or 13 iirc) and that didn't helped. I haven't watched a new episode of the show in literal years.

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
The Principal and the Pauper alerted me to the show's writing decline. I was only 12 at the time, but I remember really feeling angry about that episode and that they threw all that development for Skinner as a character into the trashbin.

When Phil Hartman died, it also felt like more of the magic was lost.

And when Maude died, so did my investment in the show. It was so mean and out of left field I was completely beside myself when that episode aired. I finished out season 11 but haven't watched any episodes of The Simpsons that came after that.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
In retrospect, it really should have been sooner but this moment is literally the moment the where I just couldn't anymore..I stopped watching new episodes after this episode and mainly because of this scene
1171545.gif
Yeah, this episode for me, as well, but a different moment. For me, it was when Lisa clicks the counter and says, "It's 300, Mom."

The show was already dying for me after season 8, but I stuck with it and hoped the 300th episode would be good (since milestone episodes usually pull out to the stops). And then this was the episode.

dyreschlock

Oct 27, 2017
Gifu, Japan
I'm not sure when The Simpsons "died" for me, but the first episode I saw where I thought, "This is a bad message. The Simpsons has changed," was the Frank Grimes episode.