• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
EDIT: I didn't consider it when I made the thread, but library rentals are also acceptable.

I distinctly remember my last one:

latest

I had never played Animal Crossing before and wanted to check it out. It became one of my favorite franchises of all time.

This was in the winter of 2008 or so.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I still rent stuff pretty often at Redbox, especially if it's a short game. The last title I rented was MK11 since I just wanted to play the Story Mode.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
I had a GameFly subscription that I barely used in the early PS3 era. Probably Infamous or Uncharted 1.

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
Great thread. Mine was probably Super Mario RPG for SNES. My mom eventually bought me a copy from Funcoland :) She is so awesome.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
I think it was Final Fantasy XV. They had it at a Redbox that's just a block away. This was right around release. Dodged a $60 bullet with that one.

OP
OP
ElectricBlanketFire

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't consider it when I made the thread, but don't sleep on your local library. Mine has a damn good selection of modern titles.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Murdered: Soul Suspect for the Xbox 360. Even though I had a PS4 at the time, it was what my local Redbox had in stock, and I had a free rental. Pretty sure that's the only time I've rented a game from Redbox, or rented a game in the past 10 years at all

EDIT: Riddler's post helped remind me that I did rent DOOM for PS4 from Redbox for a day, so actually that

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Shit...it might've actually been Arkham Asylum. Rented it from a Blockbuster and finished it before it was due back.

Then the blockbuster barcode sticker that they stuck on the disc got stuck in my PS3 and broke it for a while until I got it out.

Oct 28, 2017
It must have been something on the PS2 or GameCube. I would guess Soul Calibur II?

The last one I remember vividly was renting Animal Crossing and sacrificing an entire GCN memory card's worth of data just so I could save one weekend of progress.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
Wow. It's been a little while. I believe it was Until Dawn from a Redbox back in 2015.

Until Dawn was the absolute perfect rental, though.

M-TRNL

Oct 25, 2017
Bronx, NY
Pretty sure it was Metal Gear Rising which I beat, returned, bought to keep several months later and never played again.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Wow. It's been ages considering how for a while renting was everything I did. Seems like the last one was the Majora's Mask remake 4 years ago which I decided to keep by buying it off Gamefly but it took so long I opted to cancel my subscription then and there.

It was around this time I realized that they had gotten rid of their Texas distribution center which is why deliveries were taking so long now.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wow. It's been ages considering how for a while renting was everything I did. Seems like the last one was the Majora's Mask remake 4 years ago which I decided to keep by buying it off Gamefly but it took so long I opted to cancel my subscription then and there.

It was around this time I realized that they had gotten rid of their Texas distribution center which is why deliveries were taking so long now.

I might have given Gamefly more of a chance if Netflix didn't exist. They were so much faster than Gamefly.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
I Gamefly'd a James Bond game for 360 a few years ago to specifically unlock a 1GS achievement to even mine out.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I might have given Gamefly more of a chance if Netflix didn't exist. They were so much faster than Gamefly.
Gamefly's doom really is that it never quite caught on enough to have multiple distribution centers and be able to become a favorite of the USPS. I remember news articles being written over how the USPS gave preferential treatment for faster services to Netflix.

Because honestly Gamefly back a few years ago was DAMN solid if you could constantly get newer games and planned it out accordingly. Now I can't ever consider it again as you make the most out of the subscription by being someone with a lot of free time that can play tons of new titles. With the amount of gaming I did in high school and college I would have never been able to play as many games

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
Quake II on PS1.

I didn't rent many games because prices were always exorbitant here ($10 for two days)

Ubik

Nov 13, 2018
Canada
I have no idea. I want to say it was a probably a PS2 game, because I definitely frequented Blockbuster well into the DVD era for movies, but I honestly have no memories of renting games after N64.

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
Probably a SNES game. Something early like Hyperzone. I started working at Software Etc. shortly after that period and never needed to rent games again thanks to the employee check-out policy and later having money. I always knew what I liked and preferred to buy, even if that meant waiting for price drops.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Sekiro a little over a month ago, and I've got the Switch Marvel game coming in a few weeks.

Gamefly is a godsend.