• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
To be more specific, when was the last time a game made you want to wish you could just drop whatever you were doing and dive in and immerse yourself and you couldn't think of anything else?

For me it was Stardew Valley. Godamn this game really really made me feel like I was a kid that had just gotten a new and incredible game, is at school or at a family function and just cant wait to get out and play more. I played this game for the first time in December 2016 on the PS4. It was a Friday before I started my vacation from work around Christmas, so at the time I had about 2 weeks ahead of me. I never really liked farming games like Harvest Moon. For some reason I could never get into them. After going back and forth I just bought it, what the hell, give it a shot.

The opening scenes of the game spoke to me. Basically it showed an every day person working a day in and day out office job, is bored and miserable and stagnating and then reads a letter from the character's grandfather inheriting a farm. Basically a chance at a new life, it was very touching.

image-asset.jpeg

hqdefault.jpg

From the moment I started the game, the way everything was guided, the presentation, the music, how everything slowly started opening, expanding, growing bigger. New locations, new gameplay systems, exploration, all of the characters. It just blew me away and the next thing I knew it was 2am and I had been playing for 4 hours straight. (Pictures below aren't mine)

1_1screenshot15.png

Stardew-Valley.jpg

The next day I had a family function at my wife's parent's for Xmas eve. I was having a good time at dinner but all I could think about all day was diving directly into the world of Stardew Valley again, seeing what other artifacts I could discover, or how deep I could make it in the caves, or what new stuff I could do. That night, I started to feel really sick, and by the time we got home, I was running a temperature and knew something was up. Long story short, I did not get back to Stardew Valley that night as I had gotten some kind of food poisoning.

The next day I just rested in between running to the bathroom to bow to the porcelain god, and trying my best to keep my energy up. Couldn't even concentrate on any gaming or even TV, so I just laid in bed most of the day but kept thinking of how badly I wanted to get back to Stardew.

Finally around 7pm my fever broke and I was starting to feel better and was able to get some normal solid food down. After my wife went to bed, here I was sitting on the couch feeling a bit drained. It was 9:30pm and I finally fired up Stardew Valley again and godamn it felt so nice and warm and comfy. I played the shit out of this game for my entire vacation and it was just such an amazing time. It gave me that feeling of being a kid again firing up Chrono Trigger again after getting home from school on a Friday night. Fucking magical.

Even to this day, I still play it, yet the one trophy for beating Journey of the Prairie King without dying still eludes me. This game is up there with one of my favorite games of all time. I even bought it on the Switch and mobile its that good. I urge anyone who hasn't played this game to give it a shot sometime, even if you dont like farming games, its so much more.

81LJeCDylML._SL1500_.jpg

So lets hear what your picks are!

Oct 25, 2017
I just picked up Persona 5 Royal and I'm 55 hours in with no signs of wanting to stop. It's my first Persona game and I wish I was back in high school with infinite time to sink into a game like this. Every hour I'm working or doing chores, I'm strategizing how to squeeze in more hours into this stylish-as-fuck JRPG. The "I'll just play for one more day" of in-game calendar time turns into 5 more "days" and whoops, I'm looped back into Momentos or the next Palace arc or just one more "hang out" or stat bump. It's hard to put down.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Probably League of Legends almost a decade ago.

It's been far too long since I felt this way about a game.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
FFXIV right now, Genshin Impact also sometimes does it but needs little time investment outside of events thankfully.

Mar 31, 2018
I'd say World of Warcraft, don't think that would need more explanation as to why. That game was highly addicting as some teenager/young adult

Other thing would be... Battlefield 1942 demo. Yes, really.

Egocrata

Aug 31, 2019
I have not left my house in a year. Thread tittle hurts.

My gaming PC is my work PC, so... double ouch.

I'd say Monster Train, frankly. I adore that stupid game.

Truno

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 16, 2020
Shadowbringers. Was constantly on my mind for most of the day

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
I'm playing Horizon Zero Dawn and really enjoying my time with it. I don't get much time to play games and always feel guilty when I do because there is more important things to do, but the last couple weeks I look forward to playing a half hour every few days or so!

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Skyrim, I was making a advanced Excel course and could only think about the game.

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
I just picked up Persona 5 Royal and I'm 55 hours in with no signs of wanting to stop. It's my first Persona game and I wish I was back in high school with infinite time to sink into a game like this. Every hour I'm working or doing chores, I'm strategizing how to squeeze in more hours into this stylish-as-fuck JRPG. The "I'll just play for one more day" of in-game calendar time turns into 5 more "days" and whoops, I'm looped back into Momentos or the next Palace arc or just one more "hang out" or stat bump. It's hard to put down.
Yeah, this is my answer too. Persona 4 Golden was pretty much the same way, too.

Spiderman

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Red Dead Redemption 2. Loved everything about the game and can't wait to replay it on a proper PC in the future.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I can't help but think this is a poorly timed thread considering we are nearing the year anniversary of a lockdown...

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly the game I'm playing now, Europa Universalis IV, I keep looking up tips while at work and seeing what to do to maximize my empire.

And before that was Hearts of Iron IV so Paradox is getting their hooks in me. I should have seen this coming since the days of "just one more turn" in Civ.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Possibly OW for at least launch to the start of 2017. Before that it would've been MGO2, and in terms of not only looking forward to play it once I had it, but being super excited to for launch, Brawl was the big one for me.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
Breath of the Wild.

It had been a long, long time before that since I'd felt any more than a mild tugging in my mind, during my work day, to get back to any game. Sure, there were a few that were stronger than others. But I'd strike a reasonable balance. I'd grown used to that pull, even jaded, quite frankly, decades before.

This game was different. I was completely obsessed. Almost to the point of neglecting my dog (almost). I am so, so glad that my wife was out of the country during the month that Breath of the Wild took over my life.

SkoomaBlade

Chicken Chaser
Oct 30, 2017
Metal Gear Solid V.

Started downloading the game on the morning of release day and couldn't wait to get home to play it that evening. Went through the cycle over the next couple of weeks of just being excited to come home and playing. Good times.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The last one was Horizon Zero dawn. I loved that game, every single minute was a joy to play, not one boring second. The story had me hooked (I actually think it's one of the best sci fi stories I've experienced) and the moment-to-moment gameplay is still above anything else last gen. The single-player game I spent more time with and my only platinum (and I did it simply by playing it)

horsebite

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Red Dead Redemption 2.

Only thing thing I wanted to play for well over a year and occupied most of my thoughts during the times I wasn't playing.

carrot_

Feb 21, 2021
My Time at Portia, for me. Played it last fall. I played it for hours and then immediately the next day wanted to keep playing it for hours again. The first game in a while actually that's done that to me, at least in recent years. Even the bf commented that it was the first time in a while he'd seen me so into a game.

The GOAT

Nov 2, 2017
Destiny. Bought a Vita specifically to check in on things while at work. The thirst was ridiculous.

Kasai

Jan 24, 2018
The last big one for me was Hades. It occupied my thoughts and most of my gaming time for a couple of months.

To a lesser extent, the new Outbreak mode in Cold War. I love the randomness of it and all thr little weird things to find in each of the 3 levels.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
Currently really enjoying Prey. Theres something about the way they put the world together and it feels very consistent as a whole.
Like how you can look at the security station and find anyone on board. Its a series of small things where you think "I wonder if this would work"
and then it does. It all comes together in something pretty engaging IMO

goodretina

Dec 30, 2018
FF XIV. It has consumed 90% of my gaming time for the past couple months, but I am not mad about it!

TheBored23

Aug 10, 2018
It hasn't been long: Hitman 3. Much like its predecessor, those maps have lodged themselves into my brain. I'll be at work, thinking about the layouts and mechanics, and how they could be used for a new route in the mission, or a new contract.

laughingmood

Apr 29, 2018
Demon's Souls remake. That was the 1st game since Bloodborne, and maybe the Witcher 3, that just consumed my thoughts.

Oct 27, 2017
Right now it's Persona 5 Strikers. I just love that world and its characters so much that I just want to keep playing that game every chance I get.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
Probably RDR2.

TLOU2 actually would be the last one, but by time I was already WFH so, but technically I didn't need to "wait to get home" to play :P

decoyplatypus

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
Hmm...I'm gonna set aside Firaxis and Paradox strategy games because that's a different kind of addiction. The last new game I can remember waking up early/staying up late to play was probably Sekiro.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Looking back at pre-COVID, definitely FF14. It was my real taste of an MMO, I really enjoyed the FC I was in, and every hour at work felt like an hour lost of progressing my character and story.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
In January this year it happened with both Yakuza 6 and Paradise Killer. Yakuza 6 I ran through in like four days and actually did have paused while I was working. Paradise Killer I just kept thinking about when I wasn't playing it.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like I get this pretty frequently. Currently I just want to keep playing CS:GO (finally getting into competitive!) and FFXIV (I'm close to finishing the SB patches, can't wait to see what ShB is like). Last year I had this with Yakuza 7 and Wasteland 3.