• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What was the last Final Fantasy you played before VII R?

• All of them including 15 my love has never waiver'ed

Votes: 237 48.6%
  • Only the PSONE and PS2 Final Fantasy's

Votes: 50 10.2%
  • I've been avoiding the series since 13 cause wow that sucked

Votes: 53 10.9%
  • This is my first Final Fantasy

Votes: 24 4.9%
  • I played OG FFVII and now FFVII R. I'm loyal to Tifa and REDXIII cause Tiger King

Votes: 24 4.9%
  • 15 but yeah my love affair was over after that

Votes: 100 20.5%

• Total voters

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
I got my introduction to the world of Final Fantasy with VII on PS ONE. I absolutely fell in love with the game and it became one of my favorite games of all time and lead to Final Fantasy being my favorite franchise for over a decade. Final Fantasy 12 was the last entry in the series I loved. After all the delays and dissipating hype for 13 when I finally played it I was so turned off that I figured I outgrew the series and 13 marked the last Final Fantasy I ever played. I'm at Chapter 8 of FFVII R and its my favorite Final Fantasy all over again. In fact its the most fun I've had in an RPG since the original which really is a testament to the story, setting and characters Square created and how well they have held up. I'm curious though what was the last Final Fantasy most of you played before VII R. Did you take some time away from the franchise only to be drawn back in my Cloud, Tifa and Co. Or have you stayed faithful to the iterations?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I skipped FFXIII-3, but I've played every mainline FF game that's released except (about 10 minutes of) XI.

The most recent mainline game I played was XV, unsurprisingly. I haven't purchased the HD Remasters of VIII or IX.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing FF12 right now and my gambit system setup must be perfect much on point because this shit is easy (haven't done the very difficult hunts yet)

I've played IV, VI, VII, X, XV, and XIII.

Almost beat IV abnd probably got 30% through VI. Not sure when I'm revisit these. I've beaten X, XV, and XIII. Hoping to soon finish FFXII so I can get started on FF7 remake

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
Like as in the latest release or just the last game I played? Because I play XIV every day but the most recent game in the series I played is XV. Those Shadowbringers was released after so I guess my answer is still XIV.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
voted all of them despite me hating and never even getting more than a few hours into XII.......................cannot stand that final fantasy

Deleted member 49535

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2018
XIV I guess. I avoided XV like the plague.

VIIR is the first Final Fantasy game I genuinely enjoy since FFX.

Oct 25, 2017
Last one I played was XV, which restored my love for the series after XIII (Which I liked, but not loved) and XII (Which I didn't like at all).

Azuran

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I played XV earlier this year and I have an active XIV subscription. I also have a platinum tropy in XIII

I never stopped playing the series for longer than a few months. All the games have been good.

Aug 10, 2019
I was done after FF9.

10 never appealed to me and I've skipped every entry since then. I feel that Square thinks the early games were good for the wrong reasons.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Final Fantasy 6 for a very brief moment, I'll return when I'm done with 7R

For real it was 13, the last one I finished.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
FFXV

The last one I really enjoyed was XIII-2

The last one I loved was FFXII

Not sure if I can even call myself a FF fan anymore since it's been over a decade since the last game in the series that I loved. (I'm including VIIR in this BTW)

KaCo

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
May 22, 2018
I replayed FFVIII due to the remastered version being released. Was really nice to go through my first FF game again.

I wanted to do original VII (never did) before remake but other releases had my attention. Will get to it after, I promise!

Edit: If we're also talking about overall, I've played 3, 4, 6, 8, 9, 13, 14

Last edited:

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
In quarantine I went through some old steam sale games and tried Lightning returns for a few hours. I didn't mind the atmossphere or art design of the cities but the battles were so boring and long.

Ignis

Oct 27, 2017
XV unsurprisingly. I've played them all and ironically my love wavered after the one two punch of KH3 and VIIR.

Fucking sucks but it's time to move on.

Edit: Oh and even though XV is one of my favourite FF's, Square Enix's treatment of it really has soured me on the company combined with everything else.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I've played roughly half of the main line FF games. 4, 6, 7, 8, 10, 15, and now the remake.

Didn't like X very much, and I played 5 hours of XV before I dropped it.

I know I need to play 9. I'll get it at some point

Deleted member 43657

Banned
May 19, 2018
I dropped off right when they announced that Final Fantasy XI would be an MMORPG. I largely enjoyed these games for the story, and I wasn't about to spend money on a monthly subscription to a game that was too far of a departure from what I loved about the series in the first place. Also, at the time I was a broke college student.

Then XII came along and looked a heck of a lot like The Phantom Menace, so I skipped it. I tried XIII, didn't care for it. Didn't play XIV because I don't like online games. I played the mobile edition of XV and did not enjoy it at all.

I did go back and play XII on Switch. I did not enjoy it, and yes, I played it all the way through. There's no central character, the story is not good (in my opinion).

I don't care for the action-based direction the series has taken. It alienates long time fans such as myself, but I have been playing FFVIIR and absolutely loving it so far. The battle system is pretty great, and I will say that they did a great job marrying the old-school turn-based system the series is known for and the more action-oriented direction the series has taken. I do wish it was turn-based like DQXI though.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
My last mainline game was XV and despite its problems I really liked it. In fact, my love for the series hasn't shrunken one bit. Sure, I didn't quite like XIII and I wasn't too hot on XII (I still want to give it another chance) but I enjoyed XIII-2 and also Lightning Returns. That one even more than XIII-2.

One day I want to replay X and X-2 as well as grab the HD Remaster of VIII, which is one of my favorites in the series.

Mugman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Played 4, 7, 8, 9, 10, 10-2 and a teensy bit of 14. Also played like 10 hours or so of 6, but stopped playing because the load times on the PS1 port were unbearable and I haven't gotten back around yet. 7 was my first, though not my favorite, and the last FF game I played through fully was the HD remaster of 10. So yeah, 7 Remake is definitely bringing me back into the fold. And I'm really enjoying it so far!

Depending on how deep into my backlog I'm able to get during this self isolation, I'll probably finally get around to revisiting 6, this time on my SNES Classic.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
World of Final Fantasy on Vita. The last numbered FF game I played was 10 on PS2 (and again on Vita when it was re-released), and putting a few hours into 13 and X-2 before moving on cause i didn't like them

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
X was the last one I finished. I really didn't enjoy that one and was kinda done with the franchise after that, but played about an hour of XII before calling it quits. Was never really considering XIII or XV. Enjoying the VII remake right now though. I just wish IX could get the same treatment, my favorite.

Nov 1, 2017
Final Fantasy XV, but it was the first one I'd bought at launch since X.

I didn't play XII until The Zodiac Age and still haven't gotten around to XIII.

MoogleWizard

Oct 27, 2017
XV, sadly. That's a game I should have skipped. It has some fantastic music and the summons are amazing but those are pretty much the only parts I enjoyed. VI, VII, VIII, IX & Tactics are still the best. The series has never reached those heights again. I did enjoy XIII more than most people, though. Best battle system in the series.

Akauser

Oct 28, 2017
London
Completed 7 8 9 10 13 and 15. 8 is my favourite. Have played pretty much every other one to varying degrees of completion. The last I played was 15 which even though I played and completed pretty much at launch I thought it was a great game for what it was.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I've beat 1, 4, 5, 6,7, 8, 10, and 13.

XV is backlogged. I only backlogged it because of the whole piecemeal approach, which I didn't like. I think it's finally complete and will start in time.

My favorites are 6, 10, and 8, in that order.

I do have soft spots for 5 and 7 as well.

I'm enjoying FFVIIr immensely. It's not a perfect game, but it's engrossed me like no other in a while.

The series never lost me. It's one of my favs in gaming, although 13 was a low point, outside of the OST and excellent battle system.

Deleted member 49482

Banned
Nov 8, 2018
I selected "I've been avoiding the series since 13 cause wow that sucked," but that answer isn't 100% correct for me.

I never picked up any of the FF13s because of how poorly it was received. I think I'll eventually get around to playing FF15 and its DLCs though.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
XIV is the last Final Fantasy I played. I'm playing it now. I haven't played XV or VII: R.

XV was such a dumpster fire at launch that I said I would wait until the game was finished to play it. It's finished, but I still haven't played it. I'm just not really interested in open world or action games.

I'll play VII R when we're closer to the release of Episode II. Midgar was always my least favorite part of the original, so I don't want to spend an entire bloated, filler filled game only there. I'm also not really a fan of what I've seen of the battle system and some of the story changes. I'm in no hurry to play it.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
15 was the last new one, though the last I played was FFXII: TZA (and those are the only two I've beat). I'm still appreciating the remake on the level of someone who has played the original though.

Despite not having beat it, I've completed the Midgar section multiple times across my many attempts to try and get into the original (furthest I got was landing at the second continent). Hearing the music be updated has definitely been one of the highlights thus far.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I skipped the MMORPG ones because that's a genre that does absolutely nothing for me.

Prefty

Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Played all of them but never finished Lightning Returns, I've actually been thinking about playing and finishing it

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
Only played the demo of the remake so far but will likely get the PC version in the future. I played them in a very mixed up order in the first place as it goes 7, 10, 6, 13, 8, 9 and no spin offs. So it's 13 if your talking by release date but 9 is my actual last played for the first time.

Cort

Nov 4, 2017
I tried playing 15 but I didn't like the car at all.

VII Remake is the first FF game I'm digging into since FF10

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
I really liked XV, warts and all. It's a mess, but I enjoyed playing it. I didn't like 13 at all, nor did I care much for X. I've been replaying the PS1 games on my Switch. I am on Disc 3 of VIII after running through VII and IX already. Can't wait to get back to XII, which is my favorite of all of them.

VII R is really good so far!

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Before VIIR, the last one I played was XIV, all of A Realm Reborn through Shadowbringers. A friend got into it earlier last year and between him asking me to join him and the overall hype for Shadowbringers around May/June, I decided to start a new character and do the damn thing. It took me about a month and a half to finish the story and I've been loving the endgame ever since, I play it every day.

I've played every Final Fantasy at least part of the way through and the majority to completion. I started with VI.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Played the Midgar segment again right before Remake. The last one I beat for the first time was X-2, the last one I've played for the first time was XII and IV still working on them

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I have played every game in the series. I am still getting through Stormblood, so 14 is the last I played before 7R.

PettySpirit

Dec 23, 2018
I've played, in part or in full, VII, XIII-3, XV, XIV and quite a few spin-offs. Was never fond of turn based combat (I still count ATB as turn based) so I haven't played much Final Fantasy.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
I played every main game since 6 excluding 13 sequels. I think I beat 9 remaster in 2018. I also replayed 7 last year I think or was it in 2018..

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Where the heck is FFXII:TZA on this poll???!!!
Trash thread.

I've played every FF. Have gotten deep into the vast majority of them. Have beaten about half of them. And have a deep love and appreciation for about 5 of them.

And if we include the spinoffs then there's only a few I can think of that I've never touched.