• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

upinsmoke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Probably PES6 on the 360. At one point I was top 100 in the world. Had the occasional loss but on the whole knew the game inside out. I think sports games can be mastered like that in general.

Barberetti

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Elite on the BBC Master, to the point where I was taking out most attacking ships while they were still 1 pixel in the distance.

Black Mantis

Oct 30, 2017
Can't remember which one I mastered first, but it was either Sega Rally or Virtua Fighter 2 on the Saturn. More proud of mastering VF2 though, as I became an expert on every character.

Uncleslappy

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
I'm usually not one to master a game, but a couple years back I decided to finally beat Metroid NES. Then I did it again. Then again withtout the map. Then again. And again and again. I can now beat it under an hour, no cheats, no glitches.

Yoshimitsu126

The Fallen
Nov 11, 2017
United States
Any Zelda where I can find the four of five bottles.

I also got really close getting all 20 heart pieces in LTTP but ended up missing one of them and never knew where it was. Also managed to beat LBW in Hero's mode with only three Hearts. Same with OOT 3D and TP HD. Although the latter two were way more easier than LBW. Especially TP lol

Serein

Mar 7, 2018
Spelunky on Vita. I'm not on the level of speedrunners with the crazy teleport shenanigans or solo eggplant runs, but I've beaten it over 250 times now and can do so pretty much at will now. I don't care about daily challenges or fastest times (I do have the Speedlunky trophy though), I just love playing that game :)

Oct 27, 2017
Illinois
Rush n' Attack, Karnov, Rygar, Ghosts and Goblins or Metroid for NES waaaaaay back in the day. I played the absolute SHIT out of all those games and beat them, well, as much as you can beat ghosts n gobs anyway.

Rush n attack was by far the most disappointing ending.

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think when I play street fighter anymore, I just fight. Not good enough to play pro or anything but mastery is muscle movement x results.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I am not sure if I mastered it because it is a hard ass game but I remember when I figured out how to play the Atari Pac Man and the arcade games well. I was like 6 at the time and it was before the NES came out .

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
SMW in gba.
Played a lot on my uncles super nes when i was younger but had difficulty with some stages. It was my uncle who mastered.
When i got it on gba some years after I mastered it to the point of having sub 100%.
Fisnished the 96 exits, got all the flags with mario and luigi, got all the yoshi coins, got all the peach coins. Had both Mario and Luigi with a cape and an extra feather in the box, and riding a blue yoshi. Got 999 lives, 9999999990 points and 99 score stopped by touching the bonus bar.

Other game that i mastered in a creative way where RCT3 and Planet Coaster (were im a community pro builder).

Multiplayer wise, ssbmelee. Played thousands of hours with a friend. I won a championship with peach on a convention, my friend win a lot after me with me getting on around the 3rd place the majority of the times we both entered.

Brhoom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait
How can you not get hit by
the big worm in the park near the end?
It always screw my ranking.

-Acid Rounds

-As soon as the battle starts, run straight ahead and the worm should be right behind and you won't be cornered. Or, you can start firing as soon as you hear it coming out, and when it's raised and ready to attack you, stop firing but keep holding R1 so you can dodge it when it attacks (I can't seem to do it). It will then go underground.

-Fire the rounds, and from there it's based on luck, the worm might miss, or it might go underground.

-If it goes underground you can play with its AI by going back and forth, making it come out to try to do a quick attack, but as soon as it misses you go straight back at it, making it come out again, only to miss again. It will re-emerge later from a distance where you can have another chance at it.

Melkezadek

Oct 27, 2017
I could probably Ultra Instinct through Super Mario World if I needed to.

I also got really good at Shinobi(PS2) as well. Could kill most rooms in a single combo and have the special levels pretty committed to muscle memory.

Bulk_Rate

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
DK Jr ... the machine was flaky; if you wiggled the coin return you'd get a free credit so I played the crap out of it

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I don't know about mastered but I was pretty good at Mike Tyson's Punch Out! I was maybe 7-8 at the time but my brother and his friend who were both 7 years older than me would always ask for my help in beating Bald Bull.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Batman: Arkham City. Arkham game I played the most, and my favorite. I knew the campaign like the back of my hand. I practically had the puzzles memorized by my last playthrough, and I gladly collected all 700+ Riddler trophies every time I played. Its combat system is still probably my favorite in any game too, I played those challenge maps non-stop, reaching up to 500-something with my combo at the Iceberg Lounge. Damn good times.

Snazz

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
There's probably only one game I well and truly mastered, and at the time I didn't even realise it.

Wacky_Wheels_cover.jpg

My mate and I used to play Whacky Wheels loads. It was one of the few games that my first PC came bundled with. (I wasn't about to play XCOM or DOOM, aged 8. Sensible Soccer was played a lot too).

I remember we'd be "playing out" for a bit and after a while, everyday and right on cue, he'd ask if we could go in mine and play Whacky Wheels. It got to a point where I'd go in to "ask my mum" and beg her to say no, and she'd say if I didn't want to play it today just tell my friend that. I never had the nerve to, so everyday we played Whacky Wheels. It was actually a fun game, like Mario Kart but with animals and different weapons and power ups. Anyway, we played it a lot.

When I was about 10 my neighbour used to always be off school sick whenever I was, it was weird but a regular thing. She was about three years older so our parents figured we'd be safe if we stayed off together. We played a few games - mostly Amiga ones like some Indiana Jones game in Venice (Last Crusade, I guess?) and another one where you're a surgeon. I wanna say Surgeon Master but I'm definitely mixing it up with another game we loved, Stable Masters. I'd played the surgeon game on my own and never got anywhere but she'd seen her brother Kev play it so within minutes we were in surgery. It was awesome!

Anyway, we played Whacky Wheels a lot. And I mean A LOT. More than me and my mate did. We'd spend a whole day playing it, taking it in turns. It was fun, but the Amiga games were probably more enjoyable. She liked SWOS thanks to Kev, so we played that a lot.

Anyway, about ten years later me, my brother and the mate from the start of this post dug out the old PC and booted up Whacky Wheels for old times sake. All the records where still on there from when we played it, and from when me and Kelcie played it.

Our lap times were INSANE!!! Like 12 and 13 second laps, whereas now we were struggling to do them under 40. It made no sense. How where we that good?! She was even better than me! So yeah it's safe to say I mastered Whacky Wheels.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think I've ever lingered long enough on any one game to have truly mastered it.

I'd say I've played through Mega Man 2, Castlevania 1, Super Castlevania IV and Super Metroid the most times, but to say I've mastered them? Nah.

/edit: Actually I did play a LOT of Sega Rally on the Saturn trying to best my times.

storophanthus

Nov 27, 2018
Mortal Kombat 3 on Sega Genesis.

Once I make a book of all special moves/finishing moves of all charachters without even using a guide (purely from my head)

I could do a flawless victory runs on master mode, once I did it without using the block button.

Quasaromega

Oct 29, 2017
Probably FFVI (USA III). Knew the game backwards and forwards, knew all kinds of nifty tricks to zip through the game. It was a fascination of mine for a good number of my formative years. The glitch FAQ on Gamefaqs is one of my favorite reads, it's kind of amazing to know the game still came together despite a number "hacks" haha.

Zelretch

Oct 25, 2017
The only games i feel i have mastered are pokemon ones, which is not that hard tbh, but i'm not the type of mastering games

dawid22

Oct 30, 2017
The first Contra on NES. Only game I owned for months (I was a kid), so got to know it inside out. Probably suck at it now.

Chimpzy

Dec 5, 2018
Mine would be Sonic 3 & Knuckles. I could breeze through it like it was nothing.

Oddly enough, I've never once beaten Sonic 3 or Sonic & Knuckles on their own.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
MGS2: Sons of Liberty. Platinumed the game which meant getting all the dog tags, doing all VR missions, etc.

By the end, I had mastered those crazy controls (they kind of grew on me too) and knew the capabilities and limits of the guard AI/their patrol routes across all difficulties.

Oct 27, 2017
Sonic 1 on the Master System. I was proper tense all through the final fight and when the glass broke and I knew I'd done it....phew, what a moment.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
Probably Dead Rising. Towards the end of my time playing it I knew the fastest route through the game, where the best weapons and items are, how to manipulate NPC and zombie AI. Just ran through everything like a madman.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
Final Fantasy VIII. I used to play it repeatedly to see how overpowered I could become on the first disc, it was easy with card mod when you understood where all the rare cards were and what they refined to.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
Adventure Island. It's the only game my mom liked to play when I was 7 and I practiced a lot to finish it. It's also the only game she was any good at.

The_Ultima

User requested ban
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Germany
Probably one of the Sonic titles, can´t recall which one unfortunately. I may actually be Sonic Advance 1 which I really "mastered", I was practically able to play a few stages blind and without sound, relying solely on my memorization of the stage layout.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure there's many games I'd regard myself as having mastered, but I did hit a state of being able to play through Digger T. Rock in a single session with (by the end) an infinite supply of all the tools, so I'd tentatively nominate that.

Edit: Oh, just to clarify: I don't mean I used a cheat to get infinite tools; Digger T. Rock was structured such that if you collected a certain number of a given tool (I forget how many?) it would just click over to infinite and remain that way for the rest of the game.