• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Dec 2, 2017
The first one I vaguely remember reading is the review of Pokemon Firered in Nintendo official magazine which was September 2004. I think they scored it in the high 80s, low 90s. I tried finding the review online but I can't anywhere,

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It almost certainly wasn't the first but it was a review for Zack and Wiki on the Wii. The front cover of the magazine advertised it as a new 3d platformer or something like that and then in the review they admitted they lied because they wanted as many people as possible to read about the game.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
I'm sure there were others before it in passing, but I was absolutely HOOKED on Pokemon when this magazine showed up at Blockbuster:

s-l640.jpg

I read it from cover to cover like three times in the store over the course of three weeks, and finally convinced my mom to get it for me. It was my first "grown up" magazine after having things like Highlights for Children and whatnot before. I was in... 4th grade, I think. Convinced my mom to get be a subscription a couple months later, and kept until NP went out of print many, many years later. So yeah - all the reviews at the back of this issue.

I still have it. I'm not kidding, I've read that entire issue probably a dozen times over the years. It's one of my greatest tools to experience nostalgia.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I read a review of Granstream Saga in I think GamePro when I was like four? I don't even remember how I got access to the magazine.

Jan 27, 2020
Washington, DC
The first thing I remember reading with game reviews was this issue of Computer Gaming World from 1997:

I got it because it had the Star Wars cover. I eventually was able to get the Star Wars collection advertised on page 94, and Tie Fighter remains my favorite game of all time. I remember reading about Rebellion and wanting it so badly too, but never got it.

EDIT: Flipping through it... there's a Gamespot ad on page 300. I had no idea they advertised in print magazines!

Last edited:

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well it had to be in Nintendo Power, but this was in 1999 so I wouldn't be able to remember the exact review.

Pretty sure it was this issue. Right around this time and it's where I first heard of Majora's Mask.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
It was EGM issue 2 or 3. EGM's review crew used to be brutal, with scores in the 2s and 3s. I was pretty shocked. I was like, "so are all games garbage?"

NickatNite

Oct 27, 2017
California
I ain't got a clue honestly. But I do recall reading a review or preview for Sly Cooper, then renting it from Hollywood video the next morning.

I started reading EGM in the late 90s, then online sites such as Gamespot and IGN.

PlatypusDude

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly have no clue. I remember I had a GamePro subscription for a year or two when I was around 8 years old circa 2003, so probably something in there.

Desma

Oct 27, 2017
No idea, the earliest one I remember was a 7.5 score for Digital Devil Saga on an EGM of my country.

Only remember it because the writer basically just wrote "it's all right"

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I believe this is the first gaming mag I read, a 1990 issue of CVG a friend brought into school:

61GZL4J.png

So it would have been one of these:

EC0QHRy.png

Would have been cool if it was Turrican or Thunderforce III but I doubt it lol. Probably never read that kick off 2 review, as I bought that turd of a game (well, the first one) on the NES the next year

Pyccko

Oct 25, 2017
I think it was a review of Clockwork Knight for the Saturn in an issue of GameFan or something

honestly it was 25 years ago and I'm really not sure

Sharivan

Dec 29, 2018
Belgium
I don't remember, but I do remember that the first video game magazine I ever bought was the october 1990 issue of "Zero" (a magazine from the UK) with the Ninja Turtles on the cover.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2019
Seattle
I'm sure it wasn't actually the first I read, but the first I can remember was for Mystic Quest. I remember that they basically warned that it wasn't really a Final Fantasy game, so I rented it instead of buying it.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure it wasn't actually the first I read, but the first I can remember was for Mystic Quest. I remember that they basically warned that it wasn't really a Final Fantasy game, so I rented it instead of buying it.

I remember I picked that up in a pawn shop for £3 lol. It was simple, but pretty fun. Loved the enemy sprites changing when they got more damaged, and the soundtrack, which is up there with the best FF soundtracks imo

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
I know I read reviews throughout my childhood, but the first one I remember was Skeleton Warriors getting a 7 from either GamePro or Game Informer. I think it was on Saturn. I really loved all those shows and games that were just based on kids' toys and Skeleton Warriors was no exception.

m0therzer0

Mobile Gaming Product Manager
Verified
Nov 19, 2017
San Francisco bay area
91e1mznLllL.jpg

Something in this issue of GamePro. I got a subscription for my 10th birthday and was ridiculously excited.

That said, I'd also had a subscription to Nintendo Power, but did that even contain reviews? Or if it did, did it ever contain a negative review? Their whole operation was about pushing people to buy every Nintendo game they featured, not telling them which games were good or bad.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
Not exactly sure but I think it was a small Budokai Tenkaichi 3 review, I was so excited I asked for a PS2 for Christmas just to play that game. Good times

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
It would have been one in the first issue of SU I owned, so looking through the archives of that first issue (the one released just before Christmas '87) I think this is the one that rings a bell most readily:

areEdST.png

Having just got a new Speccy, I seem to recall one of the first things I thought was "I must find the best games", and this was the first 5/5 in the issue so I paid attention.

Feel free to be amused about how dismissive they are about Donkey Kong, too. Well,it *was* 1987, DK was old-ish news and there had been dozens of unofficial ports prior to this.

Abylim

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
I had a Nintendo power sub for two years just before OoT came out. So I'm not sure. I read so many magazines back then about games. I remember my dads friend had a collection of Nintendo powers from years before. And I read them all.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
That's a funny question, because I didn't care much about reviews back in the day. I bought magazines to read walkthroughs and tips for games I didn't even own. No idea which was my first review.

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
Y'all talking about reading Playstation 1 games as your first reviews are making me feel old.

I believe the first review I ever read in a gaming mag was probably Mega Man 3 for the NES.

lobdale

Oct 25, 2017
s-l300.jpg

It was this exact issue, I will never forget it. I subscribed with a coupon from the back of the Super Mario Bros. 3 player's guide issue that a friend let me borrow. I read it like 200 times.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
It was the EGM review of MGS3. MGS3 in general was the first time I was aboard the hype train.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
The first review I distinctly remember reading, was Military Madness for the TurboGrafx-16. That'd be 1989-ish? What publication would it have been back then, Computer and Video Games Magazine?

It's just a memory stuck with me from childhood because the game looked so intriguing and mysterious, plus I knew I'd never play it as my parents would never buy the console.

I believe this is the first gaming mag I read, a 1990 issue of CVG a friend brought into school:

61GZL4J.png

So it would have been one of these:

EC0QHRy.png

Would have been cool if it was Turrican or Thunderforce III but I doubt it lol. Probably never read that kick off 2 review, as I bought that turd of a game (well, the first one) on the NES the next year
Holy shit just seeing those pictures actually took me back to 1990 and I have memories of reading that very magazine. I actually remember that Thunderforce III review. They had really good pictures, I had to have it.

CVG was the best mag ever, on my life.

Last edited:

Adam Tyner

Oct 25, 2017
I probably read a friend or cousin's Nintendo Power at some point before this, but the first gaming magazine I ever remember owning was GamePro #7 (31 years ago!). So, a review somewhere in there, more than likely.

I was entirely too into GamePro back in the day. I even had all the individual comic collections!

Apr 24, 2018
I'm sure I read some before, but Donkey Kong Country 2 in Nintendo Power. I was so hyped after the first game, and its sequel obviously delivered in spades!