• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What was the first Pokémon you ever saw?

• Pikachu

Votes: 145 45.6%
  • Something else

Votes: 173 54.4%

• Total voters

riq

Feb 21, 2019
I remember ir pretty clearly actually. It first aired in a random network I didn't usually watch before airing on Cartoon Network so I didn't get to watch it regularly initially. It didn't help that that specific broadcast would usually play the episodes in random order.

The first Pokemon I saw was Seel, beginning of episode 7 if I'm not mistaken. Changed my life for ever, which sounds completely silly.

Second episode I watched was Bulbasaur's secret garden, much further into the first season. I used to remember the third one, because after that it started airing on CN in September 1999.

Other interesting quirks of cartoons in Brazil is that, instead of airing new episodes weekly, we actually had a new one everyday from Monday to Friday, so once my younger brother was born at the end of October CN was already at the Snorlax episode, I remember watching it while waiting to meet him at the hospital for the first time.

Deleted member 1086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
Pikachu. Was in like 5th or 6th grade and some kids were arguing on the bus over a drawing of Pikachu whether it was a boy or a girl. One kid handed me the picture and asked me what I thought, I was like "what the heck is this thing?".

Then I got Pokemon Blue and my whole world perspective changed...

Oct 27, 2017
I think Pokémon just had that much of an impact on people, especially kids at the time. It really was like nothing else, it all just burned itself into my memory. I even remember having an argument on the way home from school one day about how Pokémon was totally not a fad (I guess I won that one in the long run).
I'm 29 so Pokemon came out when I was a kid, it's just I never remember any of these "First x you saw/had/experienced" threads. I have no idea how people remember singular moments decades ago

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I voted Pikachu but now I'm thinking maybe it was Gengar, because isn't the first Pokémon in the show a Gengar?
Nidorino and Gengar, yeah.

The anime came out 9 months before the games for us, so the Game Boy-style opening didn't really make sense until the games came out.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
I was in middle school and a kid in my english class had this bad boy (not sure if it was the Prima one like this or not but it had charizard on the cover) and his gameboy and I was like, "What is a pokemon?"
51MW1Q16FDL._SX363_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

He said you catch monsters then fight them against other monsters, and I was like... that sounds kind of cool. I ended up getting Pokemon Red a short time later.

I'm 29 so Pokemon came out when I was a kid, it's just I never remember any of these "First x you saw/had/experienced" threads. I have no idea how people remember singular moments decades ago
I'm about to turn 33 and I remember it like it was yesterday *shrug*.

teague

Dec 17, 2018
Nidorino and Gengar, yeah.

The anime came out 9 months before the games for us, so the Game Boy-style opening didn't really make sense until the games came out.

I was like, 5 and just was like "oh snap this fight is so cool"

Thanks I was second-guessing for a second there, lol

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
I really have no idea, I was too young. Probably Pikachu, though, because I first found out about Pokémon as an anime, and they advertised it like crazy over here.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
My cousin from HK bought a Pikachu plush keychain for me before Pokemon even came to the States. I didn't even know what it was.

Andrew J

Oct 26, 2017
The Adirondacks
Nintendo Power had this short section devoted to RPGs, it was called "The Epic Corner" or something like that. Sometimes it would cover games that hadn't come out in America yet.

In 1996, around the time of Red and Green's Japanese launch, there was a single page devoted to Pokemon. This was before Pikachu had been established as the main mascot. The only image I remember clearly is the Sugimori art of Mewtwo, so I'm going to go ahead and say that was the first Pokemon I ever saw.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

This was a promotional video sent to my house before Pokemon was ever a thing. This came via Nintendo Power, I believe, and was supposed to serve as introduction to the anime and games that were not yet released. I wish I still had it, because apparently this thing is RARE.

Yup, I remember that promo video as the first thing I had ever seen, we got that promo video and we got one for Banjo Kazooie and a couple bundle N64 ones too!

superNESjoe

Developer at Limited Run Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

This was a promotional video sent to my house before Pokemon was ever a thing. This came via Nintendo Power, I believe, and was supposed to serve as introduction to the anime and games that were not yet released. I wish I still had it, because apparently this thing is RARE.

This was also my introduction to it. This VHS tape and the issue of Nintendo Power that introduced Pokemon.

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
It was Pikachu. I'm quite sure of it, because I first watched the series and then played the games.

I remember the Pokemon series was heavily advertised in here before it was broadcast. What a time.

Gengahrrr

Oct 25, 2017
Blastoise and Charizard, back when Nintendo Power did a feature on the original Red and Green versions having just released in Japan.

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017
A friend gave me a Swellow card in the playground (I got into gaming a bit late). It's still my favorite.

Swellow__41_106__EX_Emerald.jpg

Elderly Parrot

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 13, 2018
I just found it on YouTube and it's definitely the fight from the game opening.

On some networks in the US Battle for St Anne was the first episode we got to dive deeper. My channel fucked up and just played the first episode and then the second episode twice. I was like whyyyy

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
I was introduced to Pokémon with the first episode of the anime, so I guess the first Pokémon I saw must've been Mewtwo in the opening.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Blastoise and Charizard on the boxes for the games.

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Yup, this was my and my friend's first intro to Pokemon right here. We all loved Nintendo, and when our 7-year-old selves received this in the mail, we gathered around the TV and watched this mysterious VHS tape. Once they showed off the game, we were sold. We all begged our moms to go to Toys R Us on launch day to get the game when it came out, and from there it became an obsession.

I didn't know this tape was considered rare though. I might have it somewhere at my parents house.

Cr1st0

Oct 28, 2017
I remember going into Sears gaming Area which had a Nintendo Sign hanging and mom wanted to gift me a game. I was browsing in the counter and saw a game with similar fight screens, I think it was dragon quest for gameboy. And besides it was Pokemon Red followed by Blue. Grabbed Pkmn and Dragon and went for pkmn

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
Pikachu during the first commercial of Pokemon being aired in the states if I'm not mistaken.

Zeckett

Mar 28, 2019
Portugal
Pretty sure it was Caterpee, watching my friend play Pokémon Yellow the first time. I saw Pikachu too, but was its back.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
Pikachu and Porygon I think. Pretty sure my first exposure to Pokemon was seeing something on the news about the seizures in Japan, along with a brief clip without the flashing.

SonicRift

Oct 27, 2017
I want to say either Nidoking or Rhydon, via a screenshot of the field screen in a magazine at least 2 years before the game came out. I was aware enough of Pokemon when I got the Gameboy Camera that I knew they were from an RPG. And I was desperate for a Gameboy RPG at the time too!

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
A pal had Pokémon Blue, this was before the show was localized. First Pokémon I saw was Blastoise on the cart.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

That Pidgey beta name :o

d1b7dc420b.png

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
It was Pikachu. A noodle shop in Ann Arbor was selling a collection of random japanese toys (in ... eggs, I think) and we bought a Pikachu simply because it looked really cute.

I didn't know what it actually was until much later.

Kivvi

Jun 25, 2018
It was one of the early anime episodes, I remember being angry and wanting to watch a cartoon and found Pokemon on a channel. It was Pikachu 100% and that worm (I only know the german names) pokemon right after.

Deleted member 2340

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was in middle school and a kid in my english class had this bad boy (not sure if it was the Prima one like this or not but it had charizard on the cover) and his gameboy and I was like, "What is a pokemon?"
51MW1Q16FDL._SX363_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

He said you catch monsters then fight them against other monsters, and I was like... that sounds kind of cool. I ended up getting Pokemon Red a short time later.

I'm about to turn 33 and I remember it like it was yesterday *shrug*.

It was either the Prima cover or the Pokémon Red cartridge or me channel surfing one day and I tuned in right the theme song was playing and Charizard first appeared in the song.

Either way, it was Charizard for me.

Armite

Mar 30, 2018
The first time I remember seeing anything Pokemon-related, it was this:

71d%2BERVm66L._SY355_.jpg

I bought it because the creature looked quite different to other characters you typically see in Western cartoons and video game merchandise in general was quite rare. And power balls are always good fun, so why not?

I had no expectation that I'd be knee deep in Pokemania by the end of the year.

Rotimi

Banned
Dec 25, 2017
Jos , Nigeria
Pikachu first for me, then probably a one of the starters, cant remember but I know Pikachu is the first

My cousin from the usa brought an episode of Pokémon along when he came to stay in a video tape then. Never got how he recorded it. Also had dragon ball Z on it, was my first introduction to Pokémon and anime in general

Last edited: