• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
This is really hard because I don't really know how HD should be defined?

Probably Age of Empires 2? I played that at 1024x768. Even though it was sprite-based I was really impressed by how it looked. I didn't like full 3D graphics until I got a Gamecube.

WipeoutHD was the first console game I played in HD, and probably my first 1080p game period. Doubt anything would have been more impressive at the time, that game looked (and still looks) really slick. Felt like a proper generational improvement compared to some of my other earlier PS3 games (like Valkyria Chronicles, which aside from the fancy filters didn't look any better than some PS2/GC games.)

Oct 27, 2017
I played my 360/PS3 on a SDTV for a while, but in 2008 I think the first game I played in HD was Folklore. Miss that game! I was blown away by the dust and particles in the air. Couldn't believe games had gotten that real

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
It is the cliche answer but leaving the sewer in Oblivion and discovering this vibrant and beautiful world.. just stunning.

Panther2103

Oct 27, 2017
The first one I remember playing at least on my TV was Perfect Dark Zero or Dead Rising, I don't remember which was first.

haotshy

Oct 27, 2017
It was probably Call of Duty 4 or Geometry Wars 2 for me. I thought it looked good, but my mind wasn't really blown. Honestly, I didn't really grasp how big the difference was until after I had looked at SD content again after playing in HD for a while.

I'm the same way with higher framerates. My first game I played in 144fps was Rocket League, and while I felt like it was noticeably smoother, it wasn't until I went back to 60fps that I fully understood how big the difference is.

Kraq

Oct 25, 2017
MGS4, although I was playing it in SD. Even then, the graphics were mindboggling.

About a year later I got my first HDTV and seeing everything in HD for the first time was nuts. I remember looking at MGS4's menus and being amazed at how clear and sharp they looked.

ArthurSensei

Nov 8, 2020
It was either Gears of War or Bioshock, I bought them together with the 360. I remember thinking the water in Bioshock looked real (tbh it still holds up pretty well).

SĂ­riocaz

Oct 19, 2019
I don't really remember. Maybe it was Gears of War 3 but I don't think I played it on an HD TV. So, very probably, it was New Super Mario Bros. U, no joke. I did absolutely played it on a 1080p TV and the game is 720p. I said: "eh, looks ok". Other Wii U launch titles I don't think they were running at 720p most of the time (were they?), like Batman Arkham City or Assassin's Creed III, so maybe they don't count as much. The first one to blow me away was Super Mario 3D World. It's a gorgeous game.

UshiromiyaEva

Aug 22, 2018
Virtua Fighter 5 in arcades, before I would have access to an Xbox 360, let alone an HDTV

was absolutely blown away, i remember thinking the renders were so real looking and the way lighting bounced off of El Blaze and Kage looked so next level to me

Oct 27, 2017
First PS360 gen game I played in HD was Dead Rising. I had seen it before at a friend's house, but at the moment I didn't notice about the difference. However, I played for a while on a 16:9 CRT TV once I got a 360 and Dead Rising was this one game where text was illegible on CRTS although the game still looked good. I got an VGA cable and connected it to my PC monitor and then I finally understood what HD was.

Zool

Oct 28, 2017
It was Bioshock and my first reaction was that the intro was stuck and keep doing the same thing for minutes......

.... except it wasn't stuck. I could swim in that brilliant looking FMV-water.

Mind-was-blown

Nov 12, 2017
I want to say Team Fortress 2? Either that or Bioshock. I built a new PC in 2007 and splurged on a lot of games. Looked pretty good.

IBetUHav

Oct 27, 2017
Great topic OP. For me, Bioshock. The opening - swimming through the ocean w flames all around, wowza!! It just got better from there

StormEagle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
PC gamers, when did 1280x1024 come out?
Sometime in the 90s? You could play games in 1600x1200 in 2000. It always depends on how beefy your rig was and what game you were playing with which settings.
It is so long ago I can't remember what my first HD game at good performance was. It was probably whatever was the first game I started on my Geforce 4 or FX.
Definitely remember Morrowind looking incredible.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Perfect Dark Zero. I was into it. I still think Perfect Dark Zero is an okay shooter. Doesn't hold up as well now days but back in 2005 I put a lot of time into it.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
I think it would also be interesting to add a caveat, which is, when was the first time you played an HD game on an HDTV? I think adoption was still pretty low in 2006, which is the year the PS3 finally released (and the 360 had already been out for a year).

I didn't get to plug my 360 to a display that was 720p or higher until 2008, when I bought the VGA out adapter and connected it to my 16:10 1680*1050 LCD monitor. It was neat being able to finally read the text in Dead Rising.

The first game I played like that was Mass Effect. It looked pretty good, though playing it in HD also highlighted some of the issues, specially how bad the texture pop-in was, which was slightly disguised when playing it on a CRT.

Last edited:

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
MGS4, but Uncharted 2 was the one that really wowed me.

Got my PS3 with MGS4 for Christmas 2009 and played it on my parent's HDTV, but Uncharted 2 was the one where it really made a difference since I had to take it back out in the living room where we only had a CRT.

Last edited:

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Sometime in the 90s? You could play games in 1600x1200 in 2000. It always depends on how beefy your rig was and what game you were playing with which settings.
It is so long ago I can't remember what my first HD game at good performance was. It was probably whatever was the first game I started on my Geforce 4 or FX.
Definitely remember Morrowind looking incredible.
Yeah "in HD" and "at good performance" are probably way different answers for me.

I lived the slideshow life up until the early 2000s.

joe1138

Oct 28, 2017
First game I played in 480p? God of War

First game I played in 1080p? Resistance Fall of Man which, I won't lie, impressed the hell out of me at the time.

MJnR

Mar 13, 2019
Age of Empires III I think. I was super impressed looking at the 3d units and all crazy graphical effects

Sep 29, 2020
Network Q Rac Rally in glorious 640*480 on a Pentium 90mhz. Everything was so SHARP.

The first HD game I played on a HD TV was some Xbox 360 release game or Oblivion (maybe that was a release game?).

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
My first real look was a kiosk showing Motorstorm on PS3- the fidelity at the time was mindblowing. I kind of laughed off HD up to that point (while I will still primary gaming on Wii and PS2), but this showed me other

In person though, via games I "bought", Mass Effect was the mega eye opener after I first bought the Xbox 360. In particular I remember meeting Wrex- and look looking at the detail on his face during an conversation, the scarring and whatnot, which floored me.

latest
This was the image that blew me away with Mass Effect

image_mass_effect-5179-904_0001.jpg

Cryoteck

Nov 2, 2017
MGS4 for me. I had been playing PS3 games on an old CRT since launch and when I finally hooked it up to an actual HD TV with HDMI I was blown away by how crisp it looked.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know. I don't think I actually had a huge reaction. The big reason I stopped playing my PS3 on my CRT was that text in games was becoming impossible to read. But I don't remember any singular moment of playing it and being "wowed" or anything. I think I was just like "wow, I can read text!"

Oct 28, 2017
Define HD. Are we talking first HD game on a HDTV or just first game on the HD consoles. Because my first 360 game was Virtua Tennis 3 but I didn't get a HDTV until 2011. I think Rayman Origins might have been my first game on a HDTV?

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
Blue Dragon was the first game I played in widescreen on an HDTV and I was blown away.

Oct 28, 2017
If HD as in higher resolution than sd tv it's probably the PC version of Spiderman 2 in glorious 1024x768.
If it means ps3/x360 gen, then Call of Duty 2.
My mind was blown of course.

Oct 27, 2017
Probably Jedi Outcast. Got a Radeon 9600XT in 2003 and could finally run it at 1280-1024. It was great!

Console wise it would have been Burnout Revenge. It was the first game I got with my 360, and was the first time I used my fairly new HDTV for anything other than SD content.

Natalino

Dec 6, 2020
I bought a fullhd tv in 2011, the first game I played was Uncharted 2... I was completely shocked

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Not sure tbh. I'd kinda fallen out of gaming at that point and didn't pick up a console until mid-generation, so it would have been something I played at a friend's house.

I think it was Assassin's Creed. I remember being wowed by that.

RCSI

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
First time I ran stuff at ~720p (really 1280x1024) was on the pc in 2004, and the first UE3 game at ~720p was Roboblitz at ~15 fps at 1280x1024 in 2005. For consoles it was in 2006 on a PS3, Gran Turismo HD Concept. At the time I thought it was neat seeing the future, especially with Roboblitz (It's an ugly gameplay demo) and GT HD.

Last edited:

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Kameo. Played a few minutes on a demo unit at Walmart or Target. It was impressive, but I think the first game that really blew me away was Gears.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
A COD2 Xbox 360 kiosk. I actually noticed it in the back of a GameStop in the corner of my eye from about 100 feet away.