• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ShroudOfFate

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
Peter Jackson's King Kong at a Gamestop demo kiosk. Having only had Nintendo systems before and only been planning on picking up a Wii in '05 I was almost swayed to buy a 360. I couldn't believe how good Kong looked then

Oreoleo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
My first friend who got a 360 were exciting times. Gears looked great, Dead Rising had insane number of zombies. But the one game that was truly jaw dropping was Fight Night Round 3.

Nayishiki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Pretty sure it was Tales of Vesperia as I bought it before I even got my 360. It looked amazing to me.

Eblo

Oct 25, 2017
Only the greatest way to start a new generation of generations, Sonic 2006:

sonic062.jpg

I was swept away by the high fidelity visuals and slowdown that occurred when destroying a lot of robots, which was an intentional effect to showcase how fast Sonic is and was in no way frame rate issues.

Oct 25, 2017
First game I played on an HD console was Final Fantasy XII on my PS3. An SD game on a CRT TV.
First game I played on an HD TV was Dark Cloud on my PS3. An SD game.
First HD game I played was Resistance: Fall of Man. On a CRT TV.

First HD game on an HD TV. I'm not sure. Maybe the Resident Evil 5 DLC. That's the earliest game on my trophy list from after I got my HDTV, but it's also like, a good 6 months after I got it, so I may have played something else that didn't have trophies. I was playing mostly PSX and PS2 games at that time though.
Final Fantasy XIII was probably the first HD game that I bought and played from start to finish on an HD TV.

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
i got a Ps3 in January 2010, but back then i was still gaming on a CRT TV... by the year's end i finally managed to grab a 720p LCD and when i played Uncharted 2 and Killzone 2... i was legit shocked.

OP
OP
SolVanderlyn

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Only the greatest way to start a new generation of generations, Sonic 2006:

sonic062.jpg

I was swept away by the high fidelity visuals and slowdown that occurred when destroying a lot of robots, which was an intentional effect to showcase how fast Sonic is and was in no way frame rate issues.
I followed this game leading up to its release. I was pretty excited for it. The graphics looked great, and for all intents and purposes, it was basically Sonic Adventure 3. I heard how bad it was and never ended up playing it. Oh well.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Call of Duty 2 was the first HD game I ever played, but the first HD game I played on an HD TV with an HD input is an entirely different question that I honestly don't remember the answer to. Even when we got an HD TV around 2009/2010 I don't think we swapped to HDMI cables until later on

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
Gears of War or Dead Rising I think. And my first reaction was, "this doesn't look that much different from what I'm used to be playing". That generation had a rough start visually. It came into it's own after a while.

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
Project Gotham Racing 3

At a Xbox 360 kiosk using those god awful Samsung flat screens they all had. The image quality from the TV was so bad compared to what CTR screens were producing that the jump to 'HD' was barely worth it.

brochiller

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Peter Jackson's King Kong at a Gamestop demo kiosk. Having only had Nintendo systems before and only been planning on picking up a Wii in '05 I was almost swayed to buy a 360. I couldn't believe how good Kong looked then

Came here to say this one myself. Couldn't believe you could see the fur on Kong at the time.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Not my first, but I remember being impressed by seeing the pores in Frank West's face in Dead Rising on 360.

I can't remember being that impressed by HD. If you had your consoles hooked up with proper cables to a CRT you had a beautiully clear image already.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
First HD game i played was on a CRT, it was MGS4. Didn't realize until years later on replay that there was a camo index at the top right of the screen.

First game I played on my HDTV was I think the Uncharted 2 beta. It was... revelatory

zyvorg

Oct 25, 2017
Although I have been playing PC games since forever, I think the first that comes to mind to fit this topic was experiencing Unreal Tournament 2003 on a 1600 x 1200 screen, pretty mind blowing.

7_1.jpg

On consoles, PGR 3, loved that game.

d806ef04f37931304bda608454cdb764.jpg

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
Half-Life_2_cover.jpg

When i took my jump from Console to PC. This was during the generational shift from PS2, XBOX and Gamecube to PS3 and XBOX 360. I was introduced to a newer world, a world i never experienced in my Console gaming life.

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
My first real look was a kiosk showing Motorstorm on PS3- the fidelity at the time was mindblowing. I kind of laughed off HD up to that point (while I will still primary gaming on Wii and PS2), but this showed me other

In person though, via games I "bought", Mass Effect was the mega eye opener after I first bought the Xbox 360. In particular I remember meeting Wrex- and look looking at the detail on his face during an conversation, the scarring and whatnot, which floored me.

latest

Cubs017

Mar 16, 2020
I think that the first Xbox 360 game that I got was Halo 3. I didn't have a HDTV for a couple of months though, so I can't remember if I ended up playing Halo 3 or COD4 on the HDTV first.

I was blown away by both of them. I remember my dad (who is not into video games) being captivated by the visuals in the COD4 campaign.

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Kameo at 360 launching think.

I remember think how pretty and colorful it was and thought it was going to be like that all gen....only for said Gen to be dominated by Grey and Browns.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
I played demo kiosks of King Kong and Sonic 06, then I got a girlfriend who owned a 360 and played uhh that musou like game on the 360, 99 something's or something.

I... I thought Twilight Princess on the Wii looked better than any of them at the time. Not really sure why because that is one ugly game, but my first impression was confusion.

KentP

Oct 28, 2017
Something at 1600x1200 on my old CRT monitor... Maybe the 1999 Alien vs Predator game?

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
The first HD game I played at home was Dead Rising on a 32" Samsung 1080i CRT with an abundance of overscan. My mind was blown despite some high resolution PC gaming. I was privileged enough to be able to read the text if the overscan didn't cut off the image!

This was on an Xbox 360 Elite (with its HDMI compatibility) I got in anticipation of BioShock, a week before its release.

Kroz

Jul 4, 2019
I played Gears of War at a friends house when I was still very much invested in my PS2.

Kinda blew my mind. Seeing light reflect and the crisp image quality made me realize "wow this is next gen".

I eventually got a PS3 and had to play on a CRT for a long while. I eventually got a HD TV and saw Final Fantasy 13 in HD for the first time made me regret playing most of the game on my crappy CRT.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
Fallout: New Vegas. Got a free HDMI cord, I think they cost like $30 at the time, from my GameStop loyalty points. I was blown away how much better New Vegas looked in HDMI, especially the colors.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
701563-930853_20051123_001.jpg

Mostly just remember thinking, "they expect me to get SIX of these black pearls?"

Sabercrusader

Oct 27, 2017
Believe it was Kameo for me.

I enjoyed it quite a bit. I don't think I was as blown away by it though as I was Deadrising and Assassin's Creed.

Instant Vintage

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Fight Night Round 3.

Literally sold me on the Xbox 360 and bought one immediately after seeing it on display at my local GameStop. Then 3 weeks later, bought a HDTV to compliment the 360 and its component cables.

What a time. Oblivion came right afterwards and... well, it's Oblivion. I lived there, you know.

SoundLad

Oct 30, 2017
Resistance: Fall of Man
1c8a54e6bdd1582a49519fb670bfe536.jpg

I remember that moment really clearly, damn. Does not feel like almost 14 years ago.

Hassansan

Oct 27, 2017
Jumping straight from "never experienced HD before" to Cyberconnect's Naruto UNS was too much for my brain to handle.

Right after that I fired up SoulCalibur 4 and that just killed me.

FireCloud

Dec 26, 2017
It was an early game on the PS3. I'm thinking it was Flow by ThatGameCompany though there may have been something before that that I'm forgetting.

Went back and checked...It was Marvel Ultimate Alliance though there may have been some early demos played before that full game, e.g. Blast Factor or Genji: Days of the Blade.