• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
There were some ads in Game Informer back in the day for Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End that had absurdly realistic screenshots of Captain Jack and Davy Jones. Thought they were stills from the movie at first.

mrbogus

Jul 14, 2019
I wouldn't say I mistook them, but some screenshots of Project Cars and maybe a couple other modern racers. As long as no human figures are in the shots they look very photo realistic.

Also screenshots of the latest Microsoft Flight Simulator.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
One of the recent 2K NBA titles.

I tuned into ESPN or one of the side versions (ESPN2, ect.) and they were running an AI vs AI game. Before some of the more mechanical-looking player animations kicked in (usually big-drive replays), it legit looked like the real thing.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
First I can recall would be Gran Turismo.... 5 I think?
They had some replay footage playing on a screen in a game store around the time of release, I thought they were just playing actual live racing for a bit.

Valkrai

Oct 25, 2017
For me, it started with Tony Hawk's Project 8. The trailers looked realistic for the time and the animations were fluid.

Meta

Oct 29, 2017

I've yet to experience this with in-engine graphics, but a couple daylit shots in the intro for Armored Core 4 look real, even today.

ymgve

Oct 31, 2017
When I first played Observation I thought it was a partial FMV game. The intro looks pretty lifelike - helped a lot by the fact that you don't see the character's face so there's no uncanny valley:

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I think it was the same one!
That blew my mind, seeing the reflections on the water on the track, the trail of water left behind as it sped by, the realistic way the headlights shone in the dark sections of the track vs it in the light in the tunnel. Man, I was convinced that was the closest to photorealism we go go back then lol.
Especially coming of the back of GT2.