• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
Yeah Roger Clark in RDR2, incredible. His whole performance in a long ass 60 hours long game with so many dialogues was just perfect.

Madds Mikkelsen impressed me a lot in Death Stranding, his body acting and facial acting especially. You can tell that it's an actual cinema actor, who is used to act not only with his voice but his body too. Best body acting of the gen by far.

On the japanese side, there's a lot, there is a huge cult of the voice actors thank to animes over there so they are pretty much all excellent. But the whole Persona 5 voice cast sticked a lot to me. Mamoru Miyano (Ryuji) is probably my favorite.

OP
OP
Ghostmaster

Ghostmaster

Oct 25, 2017
Britt Baron as Tifa Lockhart, John Eric Bentley as Barrett Wallce, and Cody Christian as Cloud Strife in FFVII Remake. (Bonus whichever kid they got to do Marlene's voice)

I have to say Cloud may be the biggest surprise for me this gen, he doesn't have a lot to work with, but he does it well, really good at selling exasperation.

Oct 27, 2017
Does it have to be English speaking? I'd like to nominate Hidenari Ugaki as Goro Majima, across the Yakuza series. Yuri Lowenthal as Peter Parker in Spider-Man was excellent. Ashley Johnson as Ellie in The Last of Us Part II, obviously.

Jul 24, 2018
Japanese actors needs more love Miou Tanaka and Pierre Taki both did splendidly as Hamura in Judge Eyes, as well as Hidenari Ugaki as Majima in Yakuza 0.

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
Arthur is also my choice. The only other thing that really comes to mind is strangely some of the performances in the back parts of Death Stranding.

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Imma give it to Die-Hardman. Tommy Earl Jenkins delivered so hard. Still get chills when I think about the last parts of that game.

JumbiePrime

Feb 16, 2019
Bklyn
kfjFK3e.jpg

Horned Reaper

Nov 7, 2017
Does it have to be English speaking? I'd like to nominate Hidenari Ugaki as Goro Majima, across the Yakuza series. Yuri Lowenthal as Peter Parker in Spider-Man was excellent. Ashley Johnson as Ellie in The Last of Us Part II, obviously.
Japanese actors needs more love Miou Tanaka and Pierre Taki both did splendidly as Hamura in Judge Eyes, as well as Hidenari Ugaki as Majima in Yakuza 0.
Yeah Majima was great as well. It's pretty aweome that you can appreciate his voice acting despite (barely) speaking the language.

Jul 24, 2018
Yeah Majima was great as well. It's pretty aweome that you can appreciate his voice acting despite (barely) speaking the language.
I watch a lot of foreign films and I feel like it is not that hard to spot a great performance regardless of the language being spoke . In regards to Japanese though, I am currently set on learning it heh.

SpiderLink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Another vote for Tommie Earl Jenkins as Die-Hardman in Death Stranding. That one scene was so intensely acted it drove me to the verge of tears.

Sirank

Oct 27, 2017
All the voice acting in Thronebreaker really shocked me how good it was. Not that W3 was bad it was great, but Thronebreaker was a different level, so entertaining just listening to conversations.

Naughty Dog games (only played Unchareted 4 but Last of Us seems the same) have very natural feeling voice acting as well. Maybe not quite the entertaining factor in the writing like Thronebreaker but still really well done performances.

Kurt Russell

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Mikee Goodman in Disco Elysium (any Ancient Reptilian Brain part, and a certain Limbic System part for a failed skill check).
Doug Cockle as Geralt.
Martti Suosalo as Ahti in Control.
Rose Leslie as En in Echo.

Last edited:

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I hate to be boring, but it is probably Arthur. That was one hell of a performance.

That being said, there is a lot of really, really good work being done in The Last of Us Part 2.

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
It's a toss-up between Roger Clark for Arthur Morgan and Ashley Johnson for Ellie. Just impeccable work from both of them.

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
Literally everyone in The Last of Us II.

Ashley Johnson in particular. She's phenomenal.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
Ashly Burch as Chloe Price in Life Is Strange. It's a great performance regardless, but in particular, there's a heartbreaking scene in episode four, and hearing about the story behind her performance for that scene in particular still brings a lump to the throat.

Yeah, I'm not sure if I would put the entire Chloe performance up against the Arthur and Ellie stuff that's getting a lot of nods in here (even though it's very good), but that scene is fucking devastating. By far the single moment of acting that most hit me this gen.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played RDR2, but I have no trouble believing all the posts ITT about Arthur.

Of what I have played, Kyle McCarley as 9S in NieR: Automata.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Bryan Dechart's performance as Connor in Detroit: Become Human is one of my favorite things about the game and is the reason why Connor is one of my favorite characters from this generation.

I'm not sure if I would consider it the best, but for one of my favorite performances? Definitely.
It was so good.
And Clancy Brown as Hank too.

Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
I think the vast majority of actors and actresses in Red Dead Redemption 2, God of War, and The Last of Us Part II did a spectacular job; and those three games in particular probably have my favorite assemble of voice talent this gen. But if I had to pick one, I'd lean towards Christopher Judge as Kratos ⁠— a largely one-dimensional killing machine in the previous games that was humanized to a great extent by Judge's performance.

Some other performances that stand out are Ruffin Prentiss as Marcus Holloway, Warren Kole as Rafe Adler, much of the Death Stranding cast, Dan Jeannote as Arno Dorian ⁠— and for that matter, many of the main characters in Assassin's Creed: Melissanthi Mahut as Kassandra, Catherine Bérubé as Elise de la Serre, and Abubakar Salim as Bayek of Siwa.

Last edited:

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
It's Arthur Morgan, though Ashley Johnson might overtake him, I'm only halfway.

Ashley had it by a country mile last gen

mdf/markus

Oct 30, 2017
Outside of AAA games I want to mention that Henry (Rich Sommer) & Delilah (Cissy Jones) in Firewatch really stuck with me for a long time.
It sure has a lot to do with the superb writing, but the two also did a fantastic job with the voice acting.

TeraDax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Québec
I really loved the performance of Yuri Lowenthal as Peter Parker.

The sequence from the last fight to the ending was stellar.

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
Not that I play that many dubbed games, but I think Fire Emblem Echoes did a good effort.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
For some reason I keep thinking about Alyssa Preston's performance in Wolfenstein II. I thought her delivery was on-point throughout the game on top of how she managed to constantly flip back and forth between acting in English and in German.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Oh man, there have been so many incredible performances this gen. Roger Clark is definitely #1, but top 10 for me this gen would probably go:

1) Roger Clark as Arthur Morgan (Red Dead Redemption 2) - This one is in the running for top 5 best gaming performances ever much less just this gen. Just an incredibly well acted performance.
2) Bryan Dechart as Connor (Detroit: Become Human) -This one blew me away when I played it. Didn't expect much out of this character initially but by the end I wished the whole game was just about him and Hank. For a mostly emotionless android during the first half of the game, the way Bryan evolves Connor throughout is remarkable.
3) Ashley Johnson as Ellie (The Last of Us: Part II) - Ashley Johnson as Ellie is always incredible. So much nuance in her facial expressions and the tone of her voice.
4) Yuri Lowenthal as Peter Parker (Spider-Man) - As soon as I heard his voice I was like "Yep, that sounds exactly like how Peter should sound." He comes off as perfectly down to earth while playing as Peter, and then nails the quips and humor during the Spidey parts.
5) Benjamin Byron Davis as Dutch van der Linde (Red Dead Redemption 2) - Dutch has to have a lot of gravitas in order to make the whole game make sense, and Benjamin Byron Davis has presence and wit for days as Dutch. So many great line deliveries and the way he manages to convince the gang into continuing with his plans despite repeated failures is something that another actor might not be able to pull off as well as he does.
6) Doug Cockle as Geralt of Rivia (Witcher 3: Wild Hunt) - This is one that I think people kind of take for granted, but obviously Doug's Geralt voice is iconic at this point. Really enjoyed what he did with Geralt in TW3.
7) Mads Mikkelsen as Cliff (Death Stranding) - Without a doubt the most interesting character in Death Stranding, and Mads really did a great job to help make the character continue to feel mysterious. The back half of the game contains some incredibly emotional scenes with Cliff, and Mads nails each one.
8) Christopher Judge as Kratos (God of War) - I never really cared for Kratos at all before this game, and obviously the writing has a lot to do with it, but Christopher Judge's performance was fantastic. The way his tough exterior starts to crack as the game goes along and he opens up more with Atreus was great.
9) Melissanthi Mahout as Kassandra (Assassin's Creed Odyssey) - The best voiced assassin in the series after Ezio. Her voice fits Kassandra perfectly, and I can't even fathom playing as Alexios because Kassandra is just so much more interesting simply because of her performance. Not a dig at Alexios' actor, but Melissanthi is just that good that she overshadows him. I could listen to her say "Malaka!" all day lmao.
10) Tommie Earl Jenkins as Die-Hardman (Death Stranding) - Tommie is on my top 10 almost solely for a specific scene towards the end of the game. It's already been mentioned a few times in here, but it's probably one of the most remarkable and heartbreaking performances I've ever seen in a game. He does a very good job the rest of the game too, but his role is a little more lowkey until the back half of the game and that scene near the end in particular is phenomenal.

Some other ones I really love:

* Danielle Bisutti as Witch of the Woods (God of War)
* Jeremy Davies as The Stranger (God of War)
* Shannon Woodward as Dina (The Last of Us: Part II)
* Todd Haberkorn as The Drifter (Destiny 2)
* Clancy Brown as Hank (Detroit: Become Human)
* Troy Baker as Joel (The Last of Us: Part II)
* Roger Craig Smith as Mirage (Apex Legends)
* Ashly Burch as Aloy (Horizon: Zero Dawn)
* Nolan North as Nathan Drake (Uncharted 4)
* Abubakar Salim as Bayek of Siwa (Assassin's Creed Origins)

Last edited:

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
It's Wayne June as The Ancestor / Narrator in Darkest Dungeon. An iconic performance that is so incredibly important to the gameplay of Darkest Dungeon. The game is simply not the same without the narration, and the narration doesn't work with anyone but Wayne June.

www.youtube.com

The Significance of Darkest Dungeon’s Narrator

In this video, I take a look at how the narrator of Darkest Dungeon affects the game.Use the Amazon/Audible link below to start a 30-day free trial where you...

Runner up is Darin de Paul as Dr. Samuel Hayden, who delivers some of the dryest humor in this solar system. He's the star of DOOM 16. Hopefully we get some more Hayden centric content in DOOM Eternal's DLC, because he's disappointingly quiet for most of that game.

PetyrBaeless

Apr 3, 2019
It has to be Roger Clark as Arthur Morgan, but Christopher Judge as Kratos was an especially strong performance in my opinion.