• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Both Ori games need a shoutout in this discussion. Incredible soundtracks that are perfectly integrated into the games.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Both Ori games need a shoutout in this discussion. Incredible soundtracks that are perfectly integrated into the games.

Best Soundtrack imo for games should absolutely consider how the music is implemented. What that means is dynamic shifts in music depending on scenario and gameplay and there are standouts like Will of the Wisps area themes having new renditions depending on what is going on, Ace Combat 7 with the music sounding different as you fly through clouds (or how it changes in the last big battle), Nier Automata with its hacking variants of each piece of music, and FF7R having multiple versions of themes that escalate as a battle or area shifts.

In summary, games with both stellar compositions as well as dynamically implemented soundtracks would be:
FF7R
Ori + Ori: Will of the Wisps
Ace Combat 7
Nier Automata

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
R-9599533-1483443267-4036.jpeg.jpg

HitMissYeah

Oct 30, 2017
Tough desicion this gen, there has been a lot of beautiful soundtracks.
If I had to pick one, it would be FFVIIR, the arrangements are insane.

safety_lite

Jan 16, 2018
Chicago, IL
The post-finale, credits medley for Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment was really incredible. Going through some of my favorite themes in the series and adding all of those little baroque flourishes, this one gives off some wonderful NES Castlevania feelings. Such an amazing soundtrack in general.
youtu.be

An Imposition Of Order - Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment OST

"An Imposition Of Order" song from the game Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment. All rights belong to Yacht Club Games and Jake Kaufman.The full soundtrack can...

Also, the Samorost 3 soundtrack is one of my favorites. I love all of the woodwind orchestration in this one.
youtu.be

Samorost 3 Soundtrack 27 - The Celebration (Floex)

"The Celebration" by Floex (aka Tomáš Dvořák)From the Original Soundtrack to the game "Samorost 3" by Amanita DesignIf you enjoy this music, you can download...

Runners up: Similar Vibes...
Splatoon 2: Octo Expansion - #8 Regret
youtu.be

#8 regret - Splatoon 2: Octo Expansion [OST]

Game: Splatoon 2: Octo ExpansionMusic: #8 regret

Last edited:

DefunctRez

Oct 27, 2017
There has been so many amazing soundtracks this generation. Some of these perfectly accompany their game like RDR2, God of War or the Witcher 3. However two games soundtracks for me are so intertwined with the experience of playing them that I can't remember parts of the game without hearing the soundtrack. Those two..

Ori and the Blind Forest

Nier Automate

Twelvy

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo
I entered this thread thinking "Like last gen, Nier Automata of course"
And then I listened to what was posted: FFXV, FF7R, Persona, Furi, Gris, The Last Guardian, Celeste, Undertale, Sayonara Wild Hearts, Tetris Effect... The list goes on.
The quality of what we are offered is really impressive.

Oct 25, 2017
So many already mentioned that I love, but i want to make sure Yakuza 0 got shouted out. All the club tracks are great, and Kuze's boss music is just an all-timer, especially the build up to your first fight with him.

soulmatic

Oct 27, 2017
This generation definitely had some classic soundtracks. From what I've played for me it's has to be:Ace Combat 7, MGSV, Death Stranding, God Of War, Bloodborne, TLOU2, Nier Automata, the Witcher 3 & Persona 5/ Persona 5 Royal. Dunno what to round out my top 10 - it's between FFXV or FFVII RE. Will have to check out some of the stuff I haven't played that some of y'all have posted.

Drives me crazy that some of these tracks from MGSV weren't even used.

open.spotify.com

METAL GEAR SOLID â…¤ EXTENDED SOUNDTRACK

Various Artists · Compilation · 2015 · 114 songs.

EDIT: Adding in MHW & MHW: Iceborne as well. Dunno how the fuck I forgot about these.

open.spotify.com

MONSTER HUNTER: WORLD ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK

Capcom Sound Team · Album · 2018 · 83 songs.
open.spotify.com

Monster Hunter World: Iceborne Original Soundtrack

Capcom Sound Team · Album · 2019 · 66 songs.

Last edited:

desertstrike

Alt account
Banned
May 4, 2020
Far Cry 5
Persona 5
Celeste
Death Stranding

For some reason, as much as I love From games, I never remember their soundtracks. Maybe I'm too stressed out while playing.

squidyj

Oct 25, 2017
Can I do an expansion?
cuz The Division 2 sounds Good but Warlords of New York sounds like this.

Beyond that, Tetris Effect definitely had an effect.

The Last of Us Part 2 is a game I haven't played yet but I was entranced by Gustavo Santaolalla's work in the first game and I'm sure it'll be just as good here.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England

BOTW is a big soundtrack for me, mainly for how well it is woven into the game. I currently have selected items playing from a Google Home as my boy gets off to sleep upstairs. I often hear him humming the Revali theme, or Calamity Ganon showdown.

My biggest, though, has to be the Hyper Light Drifter soundtrack. Wish I had grabbed that on vinyl.

Retrosmith

Mar 2, 2020
Ori and the Blind Forest

Ori and the Will of the Wisps
(Very excited to hear what Gareth Coker
has in mind for Halo: Infinite)

Nier: Automata

Dark Souls III, Monster Hunter: World and Divinity: Original Sin 1 & 2 also have some great tunes.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
1. FFXV

2. The Witcher 3

Nothing comes close for me except FF7R.