• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Trelova

Banned
Apr 8, 2020
Battle Network deserves a special mention for delivering straight bangers with its boss tracks

and the final one, that really feels like the ender

nasuknight

Nov 2, 2017
Glad to see so many Golden Sun references. Motoi Sakuraba smashed that one out of the park.

A few more.

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Funny thing about the GBA is that I keep hearing people say it had terrible sound, but all the games I happened to play had amazing soundtracks, like Golden Sun for instance, and as a result I've always associated the GBA with amazing soundtracks.
Yup yup.
So many of my favorite games and tunes were on GBA, so I never knew it was known for poor sound. It was the system I stuck to my ear for listening to the great tracks.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I meant to come in and post some Golden Sun music but I see it's already been taken care of.

Still Sakuraba's best work to this day.

dasu

Aug 2, 2018
You know, given that GBA does have a reputation for having a technically weak sound architecture, I think it would be more interesting to search for the _worst_ music track.
Most games have good soundtracks with good music.

That said, I actually can't think of any one song from the GBA library that I love above all others unequivocally. However, I think that the Wario series doesn't get enough credit for how eclectic its soundtracks are. For instance, I remember liking this song in Warioware:

Even the weird sound artifacts of the compressed vocals really work for me given the context: It's chintzy music played over a radio at night.

Darkviper

Jul 13, 2018
What a wonderful collection of tunes, nostalgia is pumping hard in this thread

The first thing that I was hearing in my head though is this, probably because it was one of my first GBA games

Flygon

Oct 28, 2017
Since we're posting inexplicably good Ian Stocker tracks, and sorry if I'm cheating for posting a cleaner version from the original tracker file.

The guy was an utter mad-lad for surprisingly decent to fantastic GBA/DS soundtracks.
Also he's active on YouTube.

EDIT: Since this thread's long derailed from being "THE best music track from a GBA game".

Seriously, Stocker was/is an incredible amazing mad lad.

Last edited:

MetalKnick

Oct 31, 2017
I still listen to both Golden Sun OSTs regularly. Not only is it one of the best soundtracks on the system, but I think it's Motoi Sakuraba's best work, by far!

Randdalf

Oct 28, 2017
So happy to see all the Golden Sun. I was going to post the main menu theme, but somebody already did!

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
This is without a doubt the best GBA track no-one has ever heard. Shout-out to Brett Elston of GamesRadar/LaserTime fame:

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018
It's not going to be any track that originates from the SNES, I can tell you that much.

One person who really took advantage of how the hardware outputs sound was Ian Stocker. He worked mainly on Sims games and licensed titles, and his work has a particular style I immediately associate with the GBA:

Besides these, I'd pick the Rhythm Heaven, Mother 3 and Wario Land 4 soundtracks in particular as standouts.

Edit: Ah, damn, serves me right for posting before reading the second page.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
You guys that picked Golden Sun have good tastes. It's a real shame an OST was never released.

Nintendo pls

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Ace Attorney is an amazing "cheat" response I never considered when opening the thread.
I'm definitely partial to Mother 3 (love theme/name these children), Zero Mission (Kraid's Lair), Golden Sun (Karagol Sea) and Aria of Sorrow (Clocktower or Top Floor)

But I gotta do my obligatory Kong post

Pound for Pound I think Mother 3 or Golden Sun take top honours as a whole though.

SalvaPot

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, this thread already got most of my favs.

I submit another Mother 3 track.