• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
I got a Gamecube with Sonic Adventure 2 Battle, Sonic Mega Collection and Super Smash Bros. Melee one year.

Coming from renting SSB64 from Blockbuster, Melee was pretty mindblowing, 'specially since I didn't really know what the unlockable characters were. Remember unlocking Marth and later Roy early into the morning of Dec. 26th, not even knowing that Fire Emblem was a series that existed and falling in love with the characters.

I was also young enough to get really invested in the story of SA2B, and since we were a Nintendo house, I never really played the Genesis Sonic games so getting seven of them at once was dope.

DigitalTravis

Oct 28, 2017
For me it was Xmas 1992 and the SNES playset with Mario Paint bundled. Edu-tainment stuff like KidzWorks was big at elementary school and this was like that x100 because no stupid disguise of education. Nintendo turning me into a mouse gamer before first person shooters.

If only I was smart enough to have saved it instead of trade to funcoland for pennies just to get a PS1.

The_R3medy

Jan 22, 2018
Wisconsin
Definitely my Gameboy Pocket along with Pokemon Red.

I remember I got stuck at the part with Oak's Parcel for like an hour because I didn't have good reading comprehension, apparently haha

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
GameCube + F-Zero GX + Smash Bros Melee.

PS: The system died a few days later (come on, I wasn't using it that much).

Vinegar Joe

Oct 26, 2017
Amiga 500+ Cartoon Classics. Going from the Master System to this was mind blowing back in the day. Also had a pack of budget games including the excellent Sufflepuck Cafe.

YpvbC7l.jpg

Upgraded to an A1200 some time later, and still got it. Now with WHDLoad of course!

Forearm_Star

Oct 25, 2017
I would say it was my Sega Genesis but at that age I only got games for my birthday and Christmas. You know what it's like just having Sonic 2 and X-men until the following October?!

shit sucks....

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
My brothers and I got a genesis for christmas when I was kid, and it was glorious. It's especially heartening considering that my parents didn't have a ton of money at the time and we were all sharing like a 2 bedroom apartment.

We also got a PS2 years later out of the blue, but wasn't for Christmas.

Oct 29, 2017
One Christmas we got Majora's Mask + Banjo-Tooie + Pokemon Satdium 2 (or was it Prefect Dark?)

Having two brothers meant we sometimes got 3 games at Christmas, which is win-win, because you are obviously playing whatever you sibling got.

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
N64 for sure. My parents told me that they weren't able to get one so I 100% wasn't expecting it. Playing Mario 64 that Christmas morning was magical and is one of my fondest gaming memories.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Probably Einhinder or Rival Schools. Two games I did not ask for and I don't know what insider info my mom had to grab these two. Excellent games and rare. I had a bit of an obsession with collecting Squaresoft and Capcom games in the PS1 era and these two would have blown right past my 10 year old self.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Amiga 1200 easily. Came with a bunch of cool games including Zool, Pinball Dreams, Sensi Soccer, Cannon Fodder, Chaos Engine.. Lost all interest in my Megadrive once I got that, from getting in to the demo scene, making music with OctaMED, making games with AMOS, the PD scene, emulation, the Bitmap Bros games.. what a cool system the Amiga was at the time.

Pallo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The original Nintendo DS. The release of the DS wasn't until spring the following year here in Europe, but my parents had managed to import one from NA somehow and it was both incredibly surprising and amazing. I played so much SM64DS that holiday...
As for specific games - probably Ocarina of Time and later Majoras Mask. Those christmas eve memories are still crisp.

Last edited:

Samuray

Nov 21, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Definitely this one:

Neo-Geo-AES-Console-Set.png

I was 13 or 14 and it was simply breathtaking. Those weeks leading up to Christmas filled with anticipation, and then ...yeah, truly unforgettable.

First game I played was "Magician Lord", followed by a couple of others, and those three initial fighting games were particularly exciting for me; only have had "Street Fighter II" and "Street Fighter II Turbo" and "Mortal Kombat" for Sega CD up until this point, I think. No, wait, MK came later.....I remember being totally underwhelmed due to being used to SNK fighting awesomeness..... eh, so probably really just SF2.

Untogether

Oct 29, 2017
Atari 2600. I was 10 years old. I needed something I could lose myself in and this was just the thing. Pong and Battlezone came with the console that year and I got Star Raiders the next Christmas. I remember drawing endless pictures of what I thought Star Raiders (a space fighter combat game) would look like before I unwrapped the cart on Christmas morning.

She's still so pretty. 70's wood panelling and all.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I think the NES was the only system I ever received as a Christmas present.

I did get a GameCube the year it came out, but I ended up returning it without ever opening it.

MrMattatee

Oct 27, 2017
Texas (aka, the upside down)
Nintendo 64, for sure. I was 12, and it had just launched that fall. Me and my brothers each received $100 from our parents and some extra cash from other relatives. We pooled our money and it became the first console I personally purchased, and Mario 64 gave me an appreciation for what video games can offer like I had never even remotely realized.

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
I've gotten a lot of game/consoles for Christmas, as I was super sick as a kid and couldn't go outside that much. The one that always sticks with me is my SNES, when my brother and I came downstairs on Christmas morning and Super Mario World was just playing on the screen.

My parents had to make me open my other gifts, lol.

TateRaken

Sep 11, 2018
Rio Rancho NM
My sister and I both got ice blue game boy pockets, and copies of Pokémon red and blue, it was great. That's actually the only Christmas I've gotten a console of any sort. Being poor growing up, we mostly got small things at Christmas so it made it all the more special. Last Christmas I got my sister a Switch and Lets go Eevee, she seemed really happy.

Oct 25, 2017
I got my Wii, Wii U, and PS4 as Christmas gifts. Here's the thing: The PS4 is clearly the best and my favorite console of the bunch, but I think that the Wii was the most hyped I ever was for a game console when I was a kid.

Games are a lot harder to remember, but I remember getting Arkham City for Christmas almost a decade ago, and I was really, really hyped to play that game.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
I've only ever got 1 console for Xmas : Sega Saturn. So that.

Luckily it's still also one of my favourites of all time. That jump from Mega Drive to Saturn I'll never forget.

T-Virus

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 5, 2020
-NES with Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt in 1989 when I was 4

-SNES with Super Mario World and Mortal Kombat in 1993 when I was 8

-N64 with Mario Kart 64 in 1997 when I was 12.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
Wii U probably, my first Nintendo console and it was incredible.

PS2 close second, came with Buzz Junior Monstermania and I played that game for years with my family, so many good memories.

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!
My original GameBoy probably. Played that thing so much. Wish I still had the one I was given.... stupidly got rid of so much when I left the US.

Oct 27, 2017
I got Twilight Princess for Xmas in 2006 and downloading Mario 64 on the VC on Xmas day 2006 because I got a Wii Points card was great.

but #1 is n64 for Xmas 97. I think we got Goldeneye, and Shadows of the Empire and probably Mario 64. Truly a magical time, one of the few times I ever played video games with my dad.

getting PSVR and playing Moss/Astro Bot in 2018 from my wife was a great memory too

oh yeah got a 360 in 2007, and I loved playing Mass Effect and Bioshock tho it got RRoD days later so I returned it for a PS3 out of panic lol

Majora's Mask

Oct 26, 2017
Even though I prefer the couple of other systems I got for christmas before, I think my excitement peaked with the PSP in 2005. Such a beautiful console.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
I was 6 yrs old. My first console, and only one I received for Christmas. Very much a Christmas Story moment as my dad hid the wrapped box behind the tree.

Lekxpt5.jpg

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Not for Christmas, but my birthday (which is less than a week before Christmas).

Apologies, I've told this story before My Pop got me a Sega Genesis. I had no idea what the hell it was and was really upset I didn't get any "Nintendo games." When we got around to hooking it up and playing it with all my friends at my birthday party we were just blown away by Sonic the Hedgehog. It still baffles me to think that I wouldn't have known about a new video game console that existed. I mean, I read GamePRO every so often (EGM less so). I guess things were just different then.

I'm pretty sure we got an NES on Christmas back in like... '87 or '88 when we lived in New Mexico. I just can't remember much of it at all.

As far as a game? (and actually on Christmas, lol?) Doom II. I remember getting that on Christmas morning and spending the rest of my break playing it.

Deadpool_X

Oct 28, 2017
Indiana
Growing up, and even to this day, my parents refused to buy me a video game or console. I've had to buy it all myself, from the NES forward.

That being said, my best present just happened. I got a Series X at launch, and while I wanted a PS5 as well, I didn't want to bring it up to my wife, since that's a ton of money going out all at once. A couple weeks ago, she asked me why I hadn't gotten a ps5 yet, and I explained it to her. She said, "2020 has been a shitty year. Go ahead and grab it!" I finally got a bundle and it was delivered last Friday.

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
My parents got me and my older brother matching desks, CRT TVs and NES one christmas, it was amazing.

ShimmyShakes

Nov 1, 2017
My parents bought me my first ever computer, the Atari 1040ST, for Christmas 1988. While not purely a game system, all I did was play games on it day and night. It was so cool.

tzjblcJ.jpg

Zippedpinhead

Oct 25, 2017
Not counting the PS5 my partner is getting me this year, I think it's likely the OG.

nintendo entertainment system action set complete with Mario/duckhunt cart. My parents got it for my brother and I in either Xmas '88 and '89, kicked this whole lifelong hobby off

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
SNES in 1993, the same day I got my Labrador puppy, Shadow. Best game console, best friend. I kind of wish I could have traded some of the hours I spent with the former for more time with the latter. I could go plug in that SNES at this very moment if I wanted to, but all I've got of Shadow now are memories.

Sorry. This post kind of took a turn on me.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Either the SNES or PS2. I'm leaning toward PS2 because I can't remember if I already had an SNES during the specific memory I'm thinking of or if I got it because of Christmas.

If The Christmas memory did actually involve receiving an SNES, then that.

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017
The last console I got for Christmas was SNES so that. And my favorite game that I got was Earthbound which is still my favorite game of all time