• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Didnt really get consoles for Xmas. But games wise, the one that easily springs to mind is Mega Man 2. I still remember that day vividly... best game ever, and sent me down a Mega Man/Capcom path that I'm still walking down to this day, I've lost count of the number of times I've played the game, I basically have it committed to memory by this ponit.

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Wii was the first / only console I was gifted. Loved it.

g-m1n1

Oct 27, 2017
Luxembourg
For Christmas, got from my parents (that aren't weren't rich at all, but worked both very hard):
SNES with SF2
PS2 (the year it came out in Europe, so it was expensive)

From my older Sister:
PS3 with PES 2008 (cheapest PS3 pack at that moment here in Luxembourg)

SNES / PS2 were clearly the best (can't tell which one was better for me back at that time)

Dec 15, 2017
PS1 is the only console I've ever gotten for Christmas other than the original Nintendo I was too young to really absorb at the time. I think it was 1998 I got the PS1. Found it in my moms closet a month before christmas while snooping around for gifts.

I must have snuck in there another couple hundred times leading up to xmas just to keep holding it and looking at it.

Playing NFL Gameday and Crash Bandicoot are great memories of Christmas morning.

Oct 25, 2017
When I was like 5 or 6, I got gifts in the reverse order. My mom gave me a copy of Pokemon Silver and I remember thinking "this is cool, I watch the pokemon show but what do I do with this?"

Then I went to my cousins house my aunt was the one who gave me a gameboy color.

Being 5-6 I was literally too stupid to play pokemon because I hit new game everytime and never saved. I only ever beat Silver when Soul Silver came out

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Somehow my dad bought me Final Fantasy II (ie, IV) and Super Castlevania IV for SNES for Christmas 1991.

I remember getting out of bed at like 4am on Christmas morning and being completely taken by surprise as I unwrapped the presents. I was shaking so hard form excitement that I could barely open the box. I took the instruction booklets back to my room and read them using a flashlight under my sheets (I had to wait for my brother to wake up before I could play).

Honorable mention goes to Xmas 1986, when I got my Commodore 64.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Christmas 1996, an N64 with Super Mario 64, Shadows of the Empire, and Pilotwings 64.

My parents had bought me a an NES and SNES in the 80's and early 90's for Christmas. I also started out gaming in the 80s on Commodore 64/Atari/Intellivsion. However, Mario 64 and the N64 was probably my most exciting gaming Christmas ever. I was 14 and cried with excitement I was so happy. I spent the next 2 weeks of vacation pouring hundreds of hours into those 3 games.

Pangorogoro

Oct 31, 2017
OOT3D edition 3DS I think, it was my last console I got as a Christmas gift, every other one I bought myself. My mom went through a lot to get me the special edition so it holds a special place for me.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
The actual best system was the DS, but the most memorable was the Gameboy. Before that point all of the gaming consoles in the household technically belonged to my dad, that was the first that was "mine".

lord_of_flood

One Winged Slayer
Jan 1, 2018
I would typically get consoles on my birthday rather than Christmas, since my birthday and Christmas were within a month of each other and new consoles came out around my birthday anyway. Getting semantics out of the way though, my favorite gifted console was definitely the Wii. I absolutely loved being able to play Twilight Princess at launch on a new console, and the Wii Remote was genuinely cool tech to me at the time.

dubc

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Tecmo Super Bowl on NES (I never got a system on xmas, but did get some on birthdays).

the GOAT was the snes, but that was predictable every kid was getting it

then 50 or whatever years later my parents surprised me with a ps4 pro. they were like "well it says 'Pro', and you are a 'pro' gamer right? you have that funny looking chair.."
That chair paid off, lol.

Kaiser Swayze

Oct 30, 2017
1989: Sega Genesis with Altered Beast, Ghouls n' Ghosts, and Space Harrier II. Hands-down the best gaming day of my life. My parents were heroes.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Zelda Ocarina of Time and Shenmue. Remember beating Zelda before that day was over. Shenmue...took some time.

Urishizu

Dead Drop Studios Founder
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
SNES and N64 were legendary events in my childhood. I'd say I think about them nearly every week.

Zen_Master

Nov 15, 2020
Mega Drive II with 2 controllers and Sonic 2 as a pack-in game, in 1994 maybe? I remember playing through Emerald Hill and Chemical Zone that first night I got it. And then there was the multiplayer, that was the best.

dedhead54

Oct 28, 2017
I got my Dreamcast for Christmas in '99 and 360 for Christmas '06. Hard to choose between those, I'd probably have to go with DC though. I was so hyped for that.

Jan 19, 2018
Definitely the N64 that my late grandma got me and my brothers in 1997, along with Diddy Kong Racing.
We spent hours playing that together, having fun, racing each other. Of course, we enjoyed many other games, later, but that Christmas, it was all about DKR!

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Dreamcast. My Mom took me to Best Buy the Saturday after school let out for Holiday break and laced me up with a Dreamcast, Soul Calibur, and NBA 2K as my early Christmas gift. Shenmue dropped a few days after X-Mas and was blew me away even further.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
that's an incredible combo. though back then i wouldn't have the compunction to appreciate FFII (a game with a bunch of numbers and tiny people)

I was already obsessed with Final Fantasy on NES so getting a SNES version of that was mind blowing. It was such a leap forward in every way (my 12 year old brain didn't even realize there were 2 other games released in between I hadn't even heard about).

I think I played that game for 12 hours straight that Christmas morning.

hollams

Nov 7, 2017
Atari 2600 and it was awesome. I have a video of it and when I opened the box to pull the console out the controllers were still attached to it. Apparently my parents tried it out the night before to make sure it worked and just stuffed everything back into the box.

Duncan

Oct 25, 2017
Got Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time instead of True Crime: Streets of LA which is what I wanted originally.

I feel like the right decision was made.

supercommodore

Prophet of Truth
Apr 13, 2020
UK
OG Xbox with Halo, Project Gotham Racing and NHL Hitz. It was a total surprise to us on Xmas morning. Me and my brother spent countless hours playing Halo for months.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Christmas 1990

I had been saving for 6 months,
used those together with all the money I had gotten from my family for Xmas to pay for a

Super Famicom with:
Super Mario World
Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts
F-Zero

81F4aQatZfL._SL1500_.jpg

SMW_SMB4-JAP_-_COVER.jpg
sgg5.jpg
f-zero-super-famicom-sfc-ntsc-jpn-complet-good-condition.jpg

Best. Christmas. Ever. I was 13yo.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
I received the following consoles for xmas: N64 (with Mario 64), GameCube with Luigi's Mansion, and Xbox 360 with Xbox live, headset, cod2, pgr, perfect dark zero and madden 06. Xbox 360 in 2005 changed my life. Wouldn't be on this forum, watching YouTube all the time on it, etc. never watched e3 as crazily as I do now

Zingela

Nov 2, 2017
Sega Genesis with Sonic 2 packed in and Aladdin.
I was 7 and completely obsessed with the Aladdin movie, saw a demo in a store window and I HAD to have it, it looks just like the movie wow!

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
NES in 1985 with Super Mario Brothers, Excitebike, & Ice Climbers

I was not thrilled with Ice Climbers TBH, but once I started playing it I really enjoyed it.

We had an Odyssey, the Atari 2600, Colecovision, and a TI PC, but the NES was bought for just me. It was extra special because of that.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
I had never gotten a console for Christmas until last year when my partner surprised me with a Switch, so I guess that would have to win by default.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
For some reason, Assassin's Creed 2 is the one I can remember most vividly. I spent 80 euros on the collector's edition with the Ezio statue and loved both the edition and the game itself to bits.

Oct 27, 2017
I got a PS2 and FFX for Christmas, but my mom forgot about the memory card. So I kept starting the game over until I was able to get one. I kept replaying Zanarkand for about a week.

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
Got the same gamecube/Mario kart combo for Hanukkah—my brother and I had such a blast with it. But it really shined when a week later, on Christmas Eve, my mom let us both open a present early. I got animal crossing, and spent the entire evening playing—absolutely the best Christmas Eve as a kid haha

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
OG Xbox with Halo 2. I was already hooked on Halo: CE from my gaming at my cousin's place, and that Christmas then marked the true beginning of my eternal love affair with this franchise lol

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
OP I got the EXACT same bundle as you for Christmas when I was like 11. My parents were having a Christmas party around the 20th and my brother and I convinced them to give it to us early so we'd have something to do while the adults were partying n shit. That night was so fucking fun.

Ruffy666

Oct 27, 2017
I was sprawled out on the living room floor when my dad came home and tossed Zelda II for the NES at my side. This wasn't even for Christmas, which is what makes it so memorable-- it came completely out of nowhere and was totally out of character for him (and to be honest I have no idea how he even know what Zelda II was or what it would mean to me to get it...) But hey, decades later and I still remember it clearly!

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
1997, unwrapped a PS1 and a fresh copy of Final Fantasy VII.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
SNES in 1993. Came with a copy of Super Mario All Stars and Super Mario World. My brother and I lost our minds. Nothing else even mattered that day.