• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 33057

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Nov 14, 2017
I remember finally getting a Gamecube for Christmas in 2004 with Mario Kart Double Dash.I was in middle school at the time. It was this exact one

61B73GH2RQL.jpg

I still have the two controllers that came with it, but the system is long gone. Every other system I've received was either during a birthday, but every Christmas I always got new games. What about you Era?

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
The best Christmas I remember involved my parents buying my sister and I a PlayStation 2 with Kingdom Hearts. But they forgot to get a memory card, so my sister and I left it running for nearly a week until my dad could go and get us one.

Rob2K19

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PS1. I remember how excited I was. The genuine feeling of a happy child that I don't think I ever truly expressed happiness on that level after.

Patryn

Oct 25, 2017
Super Nintendo with Super Mario All-Stars as the pack-in, along with Final Fantasy III (US).

Parents were smart enough to also get me a crappy TV to go with it, knowing I'd otherwise dominate the family TV.

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
Game Boy including Tetris, Solar Striker and Revenge of the Gator in 1990, which pretty much started it all.

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
N64 with Mario 64. I got the SNES one year too, but a friend of mine had Snes and I'd play mario world over by him. N64 was just this revolution unlike any other. I don't think I'll experience anything like that again with respect to gaming.

Dablado

Jan 1, 2019
Nintendo 64 is the only console Ive recieved for christmas. Me and my brother got Banjo & Kazooie which I have fond memories of. Although I thought it was quite scary (lol) and I never made it past the sewer level with the fish.

Also we got NHL 99 which we played countless hours of.

Game wise MKDD is up there for me too. Only game my brother enjoyed as much as I did part from NHL and pokemon silver/gold. Was a nice christmas holiday :)

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
N64 with Banjo-Kazooie. I was basically the equivalent of the N64 Kid video that Christmas. Played Banjo all day and it was amazing.

Indelible

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Sega Dreamcast with Sonic Adventure, got it the Christmas after it released so I got to enjoy the system in its entirety.

RCSI

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Playstation 2. While I didn't receive any good games with it, the system itself would play a ton of good stuff later on in life.

TheBored23

Aug 10, 2018
The one I was most excited for was the Wii, which came out when I was 13. My parents played a trick on me by leaving the box for it upstairs, but couldn't bear seeing the disappointment on my face as I opened the rest of my presents and thought I wouldn't be getting it.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
SNES with Mario World packed in and F-Zero

Man what a winter that was, we rented games all the time back then too.

Our dad did the "Christmas story" bit and had it wrapped off to the side and we didn't see it, then we opened it last and freaked out lol.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Most of my best gaming Christmases were just for games, not hardware. The biggest one for software was 1983 when I got a bunch of VIC-20 games like Omega Race, Defender, Dig Dug, and Astroblitz.

I didn't get game systems for Christmas until I was an adult but there were some standouts such the Playstation in 1995 (most expensive gift I ever got) and the Saturn in 1996. The Saturn had such a great bundle because it came with Virtua Fighter 2, Sega Rally, Daytona USA, and Virtua Cop. Plus I got Christmas NiGHTS that day.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
A Dreamcast with Sonic Adventure, Sonic Adventure 2, and Powerstone.

Would've said SNES otherwise, but I got that for a birthday.

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I will always remember and have many fond memories of getting the Gamecube and Mario Sunshine for Christmas one year.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
thinking back, most consoles were for my birthday but getting Ocarina of Time for Christmas was something else...

Returning to school after not seeing friends for a couple of weeks and everyone else had been playing it too and were all at various points and sharing tips/secrets. Was amazing.

OP
OP

Deleted member 33057

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Nov 14, 2017
The one I was most excited for was the Wii, which came out when I was 13. My parents played a trick on me by leaving the box for it upstairs, but couldn't bear seeing the disappointment on my face as I opened the rest of my presents and thought I wouldn't be getting it.
I wanted a Wii soooo bad for Christmas in 2006 but it was sold out everywhere for months. I didn't get one until 2009

Goddo Hando

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
only one i ever rec'd xmas day was an NES back in 89, until this year---- when i purposely haven't opened my astro city mini yet, and it's under the tree

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The 3DS, I didn't even ask for it, but my mother decided to give it to me and my brothers as a surprise present.

I remember getting really happy, because KH DDD was coming out the following year and I was pretty sad I wouldn't be able to play it. The 3DS went on to become one of my fav consoles ever, love that library.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
SNES for sure. Got it the first Christmas it was released here in the US. It came with Super Mario World and I was lucky enough to also get F-Zero, Final Fight, Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts, and UN Squadron. Everything was given to me on Christmas Eve and I'm pretty sure I stayed up until the sun came up playing everything. It was huge jump over the NES and playing games that looked and sounded like that at home was incredible.

HanSoloCup

Oct 27, 2017
Richmond, VA
The only system I ever got for Christmas was a PSP, and it was awesome and completely unexpected.

My wife had just started working after getting her degree, and she wanted to get me something more substantial than our normal starving student type gifts. She got me Crisis Core to go with it and it was awesome.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
I have a bunch of systems, but the only one that was a Christmas present was the original Atari 2600, back in 1980 (I think). I'm old. Most of my games and stuff, I bought on my own. But that was an awesome Christmas. The whole family played Atari all day. Mostly Combat, the pack-in game.

It wasn't a Christmas present, but when Ocarina of Time was on the way, I had a pre-order in to get the Collector's Edition, meaning that gold cartridge. Then I moved to another state. I don't remember which game chain it was - EB, probably - but they told me they couldn't transfer that pre-order, and so I ended up pre-ordering again, and only the peasant gray cart was available. I was a bit bummed about it.

Anyway, on release day - November 23rd - my brother's boyfriend, and our roommate, called me at work and said not to pick up my pre-order. I got home, and he'd somehow gotten a Collector's Edition. He was a real "people person", very charming and personable, and apparently he just went into a store at random and schmoozed it out of the sales clerk. Probably the nicest game-related thing anyone's ever done for me.

Like I said, it wasn't Christmas, but it sure felt like it. I have no memory of the actual Christmas day that year, but I'll never forget that unexpected gold Zelda cart.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
By default, since it's the only time I've received a system for Christmas, it's the Sega Genesis 16 bit w/ Sonic the Hedghog and Michael Jackson's Moonwalker.

kodax_shc

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
Got my 'play it loud green' GameBoy for Christmas in 1995 or 1996. Prior to that I played on my uncles genesis. So to have something to myself was pretty damn awesome. Got a nice travel carrying case to go with it too. Still have them both.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I had to buy all my systems with my own money, crazy expensive gifts was never a thing.

noesch

Oct 31, 2017
Southern Germany
Clearly the SNES. It was the last system I received as a Christmas gift. Everything after it, starting with the OG PlayStation, I purchased myself.

SMW, Super Street Fighter 2 and a second controller was all it took to keep me and the neighbor kid entertained for months. Memories.

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
I remember SNES with Super Mario World being big, being very excited for the N64 and Mario 64, but I had almost zero hype for Ocarina of Time and it's probably that. I think it had such a big impact and I totally fell in love with it. Even going to school and discussing secrets and what to do was a you had to be there type of experience.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
the GOAT was the snes, but that was predictable every kid was getting it

then 50 or whatever years later my parents surprised me with a ps4 pro. they were like "well it says 'Pro', and you are a 'pro' gamer right? you have that funny looking chair.."

fick

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 24, 2018
OOT N64. Still remember what a great Christmas that was. My grandmother was visiting, and I was sleeping on a little blanket bed on the floor of my parents' room. Once Christmas rolled around, my dad set up a tiny little tv next to me, I just stayed wrapped up in blankets playing OOT the rest of Christmas break.